Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 306 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 439 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I actually hate all our players so much I’m glad they suffered even if that impacts on performance against Liverpool. But that’s just me being a vindictive twat. My worry here is that Ten Haag is also being vindictive, rather than doing anything which will help in the long term. The Athletic article is right about punishment laps being very old school. And you wonder if this could do more harm than good to getting the players to believe in the new manager (a belief which must already be hanging by a thread)

HookedOnAPhelan

If we were expecting a top four challenge this season then I would say it's pretty clear our season is already heading straight off the rails. Given how bad things are, it's hard to see how 6th place isn't the limit of our league ambition.

In which case, just embrace that it's gonna happen. League finish doesn't matter, hope we do something in the cups and lets see what actual changes happen in terms of style of play, players being sold, players being dropped, etc.

I'm specifically thinking of Arsenal under Arteta. 8th place finishes, high profile senior players being discarded, captaincy changes, goalkeepers being dropped, bust-ups behind the scenes, bad losses, new players getting opportunities, etc. And whether they finish top four or not this season, they've come out of it a better team. Give me all that chaos but faster and harder.
True! It's just that we're so fecking awful that I'm genuinely concerned that we might get relegated :lol: Plus I'd rather not get humiliated by the likes of Pool and City again. Other than that, don't really care where we end up on the table.

MiracleInMadrid

I’m starting to think that the complete meltdown we are seeing before us is what we need.

It should make it clear who we can trust going forward. Those who aren’t up for a major change in the way things are, must be moved on someway somehow.

I almost down care how we fare in the league this season. As long as we once and for all clean up the mess we’ve made. Forget about FDJ and CL football next season. We must use the next couple of seasons to build from scratch. And I trust ETH to be in charge of it.

SteveCoppellFan

I am not defending these players, the bottom line is most of them are just not good enough to get United to where they need to be.

Different managers have tried and failed, its not going to happen.

The job of Woodward and now Murtough and the manager is to realise this asap and replace when required but the complete opposite has been happening for years, we gave them all new contracts and told them to carry on.

Now you have a bunch of players that are not only not good enough but are now mentally shot.

Its like someone in a normal job who took a promotion on a much better wage and found out its way above their skill level but you come in every day and just get completely lost and after a while you just start to hate coming in to work.

The structure of our club has just collapsed, maybe Murtough took a job that is completely above his own skill level and is currently floundering about like the players, its a complete farce right now.

Getting rid of Ralf because he spoke some home truths was a crazy decision but making stupid decisions is common ground for United these days.

Raw

I actually hate all our players so much I’m glad they suffered even if that impacts on performance against Liverpool. But that’s just me being a vindictive twat. My worry here is that Ten Haag is also being vindictive, rather than doing anything which will help in the long term. The Athletic article is right about punishment laps being very old school. And you wonder if this could do more harm than good to getting the players to believe in the new manager (a belief which must already be hanging by a thread)
To be honest I don't think they're suffering from this bad period as much as they should. Feels like a lot of them are happy to turn up, play like shit, pick up their wages and go home.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A football captain seems to do little on the pitch other than shout heads or tails. They don't make key decisions like rugby or cricket captains. Some football clubs even have a team captain and a club captain. It's not as an important position as made out.

I doubt Erik didn't just rock up in a bad mood on Sunday and decided to send them on the run. He'd have undoubtedly spoken with his fitness/sports science team before doing it.
This.
Just forget about a captain for the foreseeable for fecks sakes. Any one of those wretches can shout heads or tails.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I like Crafton. And I like the Athletic.

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response/scrutiny.
Yeah, it makes no sense. It's a punishment not a regular training session.

Jazz

To be honest I don't think they're suffering from this bad period as much as they should. Feels like a lot of them are happy to turn up, play like shit, pick up their wages and go home.
Can we not just fine them? I mean are all these player contracts constructed to give them maximum power?

jeff_goldblum

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response/scrutiny.
Honestly, I can't help but think the ludicrous degree of scrutiny the club is under generally is a big part of our problem. Obviously the club, manager and players deserve criticism when they do stuff wrong, but the constant sniping over trivial stuff like this contributes to this horrible cycle of negativity that's sat over the club for years. If I was a player thinking of coming to United I'd take a look at the way United players get treated, whether it's by our fans, opposition fans or the media and run a mile.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
How so? I'm sure he'd prefer to sell Mctominay but who is going to buy him? He will get a decent fee for Garner and sign someone that is already better than both those players. As long as they include a buy back, then selling him makes the most sense at this time unfortunately.
Buy back is a must. Personally I'd start Garner and Laird instead of letting them go. Also of course McTominay could get a move somewhere

Raw

Can we not just fine them? I mean are all these player contracts constructed to give them maximum power?
Unfortunately they have too much power. Already sort of fined them with the 25% reduction for missing out on the CL, maybe they're having a bit of a sulk about that.

Gordon Godot

Fine them for losing?
I really hope the De Boer analogies prove wrong. But he is on thin ice and thumping from Liverpool will onyl add to the pressure. For all the talk of dropping players, attitudes etc, most of the team are internationals. He needs to be pragmatic for the next few weeks or will be gone by end of September

Jazz

Honestly, I can't help but think the ludicrous degree of scrutiny the club is under generally is a big part of our problem. Obviously the club, manager and players deserve criticism when they do stuff wrong, but the constant sniping over trivial stuff like this contributes to this horrible cycle of negativity that's sat over the club for years. If I was a player thinking of coming to United I'd take a look at the way United players get treated, whether it's by our fans, opposition fans or the media and run a mile.
It does contribute to it. The media's negative narrative is destructive and has been ever since SAF left. Our club has a shit comms team to be honest. They let this go on for ages and now it's totally out of control. These people don't care if they destroy United, and our hierarchy has allowed it. Even some of our ex players in the media are doing it as well. They should know better, but it's more important to get their clicks.

tomaldinho1

Yeah, it makes no sense. It's a punishment not a regular training session.
Yes but ask those same sports scientists about recovery from that session during the week for a game at the weekend and, guess what, it’s fine. They’ll just make training lighter than usual in the build up, ‘punishing’ the players is more symbolic it’s not going to cripple them.

matt10000

Is the punishment worth it if it negatively effects performance V Liverpool?
From a management perspective, my guess is ETH wanted to get the players together asap to:

a. Stop them getting in their cliques and blaming each other via text etc

b. See reaction of players

c. Show them that if they dont put a shift in during match they will do it the next day.

You can forget tactics and sports science right now as they are the small percentage gains, right now we have huge attitudes percentage. ETH is tryin to work out attitudes

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its the same for every top tier club, like Bayern, Real or Barca. Win or lose, the focus is always on.

AndySmith1990

I really hope the De Boer analogies prove wrong. But he is on thin ice and thumping from Liverpool will onyl add to the pressure. For all the talk of dropping players, attitudes etc, most of the team are internationals. He needs to be pragmatic for the next few weeks or will be gone by end of September
Thin ice after only 2 games in charge? We can't be this short sighted

GreatDane

I’m starting to think that the complete meltdown we are seeing before us is what we need.

It should make it clear who we can trust going forward. Those who aren’t up for a major change in the way things are, must be moved on someway somehow.

I almost down care how we fare in the league this season. As long as we once and for all clean up the mess we’ve made. Forget about FDJ and CL football next season. We must use the next couple of seasons to build from scratch. And I trust ETH to be in charge of it.
I don't disagree with you, but feck me it's going to be a long season to watch if we're already out of the race, even the one for fourth place, two games in.

Jazz

Unfortunately they have too much power. Already sort of fined them with the 25% reduction for missing out on the CL, maybe they're having a bit of a sulk about that.
Going forward, are we able to construct player's contracts differently? How about some performance based clauses. Honestly if I behaved this badly at my little job, I would lose it one way or another. How can a club with so many high paid lawyers not be able to sort something out?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes but ask those same sports scientists about recovery from that session during the week for a game at the weekend and, guess what, it’s fine. They’ll just make training lighter than usual in the build up, ‘punishing’ the players is more symbolic it’s not going to cripple them.
It depends on how they did the 13k, if you want you can ruin them for an entire week regardless of resting.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
This has got nothing to do with sport physicality, it’s to do with control and letting the players know that the performances will not be accepted. It’s sport psychology. Too right punished them and Fergie would have done the same.

Jazz

Fine them for losing?
Fine them for leaking shit and being unprofessional. Not listening to instructions etc etc and putting in the bare minimum of effort. Yeah I know it can't happen but I really wish we could. Sick of them.

tomaldinho1

It depends on how they did the 13k, if you want you can ruin them for an entire week regardless of resting.
Maybe if he strapped them to a chariot and flogged then whilst they pulled him along. But, no, even a full pace 13k recovery time usually 1-3 days maximum. If we allow light training and ball work stretch that to the week and then, let’s be honest, they wouldn’t have been going full pace for 13k.

ti vu

The question remains, who leaked the info about this extra training? It's clear it's a bait for negativity from the press, and here they come.

Raw

Going forward, are we able to construct player's contracts differently? How about some performance based clauses. Honestly if I behaved this badly at my little job, I would lose it one way or another. How can a club with so many high paid lawyers not be able to sort something out?
Probably not, the legalities behind it all are a mess. The issue is that we want to buy the top talents but the only thing we can offer at the moment is ludicrous contracts.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Hi lads. Ive dropped in to be in the company of people as miserable as me. May I suggest a cheeky bid for elite coach, Brendan Rodgers……………….please?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is the punishment worth it if it negatively effects performance V Liverpool?
We will just have them run 25 km with a wood beam attached to their backs, or something. Or ask them to swim in cold river. That will teach them.

Loon

:lol:
Pisser is this is going to make the fannies more determined to get rid of ten Hag than up their game.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Something has to change surely? You are either with ETH or out. There is no middle ground here. We thought it was Jose, then Ole and then Ralph. We thought it was Pogba, Lingard and then Hendo. Club is rotten top to bottom. If ETH is a dinosaur then be it. You cannot blame ETH for losing 4-0 but then taking an action because of that loss.

Jazz

Probably not, the legalities behind it all are a mess. The issue is that we want to buy the top talents but the only thing we can offer at the moment is ludicrous contracts.
Then the solution is probably not to shop for high tier or high profile players and just go down a tier or two. Will give us more control.

GMoore23

They can feck off.

The players put zero effort in on Saturday so they wouldn't have been fatigued for Sundays training session.

Jazz

Hi lads. Ive dropped in to be in the company of people as miserable as me. May I suggest a cheeky bid for elite coach, Brendan Rodgers……………….please?
We're on our knees and you want to make things worse? :lol: