g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MUnchies

Surely people realize that after years hoofing the ball up front and playing counter attacking football this squad will take time to learn to play a new way. And that it's not going to happen in a few weeks or even month. It will take more than a year i guess and in the meantime the most important thing is to get results while step by step playing more attraktive football. How long did it take Klopp or Pep to get the players playing consitent good attacking football?
Exactly. It took Pep a whole season to get City to play his football and that was a City team that had already won the league few times before him. ETH is coming in after our worse season ever. It will surely take time.

youngrell

maybe, but I fully expected Martial to come into the team if he hadn't picked up that injury. With Casemiro, it just makes sense to me that he'd get subbed on his first game to get a first taste of the PL and then start against Leicester.
Yeah, for sure Martial for Elanga would have been the one acceptable change, as Martial played just as big a part vs Liverpool.

Had we lost vs Liverpool I’m fairly sure Casemiro starts yesterday. As it was, it was an ideal way to both reward the players and ease in Casemiro.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Because when we are back to a possession football, Maguire will most likely be the first name on the team sheet. He's more suited for that type of game when we have the ball.
When is he moving to the Championship to achieve that?

arnoldS

Come on, for everything that we have done wrong recently, hoofball is not something that we can be accused of.
True I meant more our defensive part. Recently our defenders just hoofed it forward also De gea did and still does. Guess I just meant we had no real buildup from the back

city-puma

LVG failed in trying to make us competitive using a possession based style.
Mourinho didn't even bother trying.
Ole failed to improve us in possession too.

But sure ETH will whip us into shape in no time. Love your optimism and can only hope you are right.
LVG at that time stuck to his out-of-date philosophy and it was exposed blatantly in EPL which is always the most competitive league for long time. He said he would like to implement the positional play like Pep’s if he was still in job.
Similarly, Jose struggled to compete due his struggling to embrace the trend. But, he is adapt to it now in a way he likes in Roma.
Ole’s issue is complicated. It’s hard to know at the moment what resulted in the last season. Many have felt there were factors Unveiled but by bit. We will know more.
Like Pep and many other managers have demonstrated, the positional (vertical) play can be implemented quickly rather than several seasons. ETH had shown it in a minor league. But regardless the quality of the league, it’s about the competition in that league. The playing style and the performance level achieved are two things tightly related and demanded to achieve anything in the league. Adapting to the players we had and the opponents’ play are equally important.
I think the reason most wanting ETH as manager is that we think he is capable to achieve the quick development of the team within this season and still finish in an acceptable league position. Some feel it top four and the other fifth as acceptable. Right?

city-puma

It's getting better - up 12 places in less than a week, after an appalling start.
What we have witnessed is that he adapted very quickly and made the big call to correct his mistake with no hesitation. His real mistake is the game against Brentford really.
When Maguire and Shaw get back to the team, I expect they will perform on another level. The minimum standard has been laid out successfully in recent games. Everyone will either buy into it or just leave.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's getting better - up 12 places in less than a week, after an appalling start.
Beating Arsenal would be huge. But the league is very strong, so many teams could make top 4. We just need progress and the players getting their confidence and form back

El Jefe

I really like him for not being too fixated to one style of play. Long term he obviously has a vision for how we want to play but he's shown he's willing to be pragmatic if he has to. I'd thought he was from the Pep and Wenger school of being a complete football purist but he has some balance to his ideals.

Also love how he cares little for player reputations and will drop you if you don't perform, especially if you are the captain.

Rightnr

It's in the EPL as soon as Ten Hag can trust that team to play a possession based football.
Right. Where do you go to watch flying pigs?

And just so we're clear, I mean Maguire is trash, both defensively and in possession. The guy has never been good and if he wasn't English, he'd barely make the PL in the relegation sides.

Greck

Ten Hag doesn't have some hidden trust in Maguire he's waiting for the right moment to show off. He doesn't rate him as much as Varane. His comments the other day were surprisingly blunt, almost like he considered it a no-brainer for Varane to bench him. Was actually shocked.

Rightnr

Ten Hag doesn't have some hidden trust in Maguire he's waiting for the right moment to show off. He doesn't rate him as much as Varane. His comments the other day were surprisingly blunt, almost like he considered it a no-brainer for Varane to bench him. Was actually shocked.
For anyone not living in Delusion Town, this is obvious but not everyone has left that destination yet.

croadyman

Pleased he is getting one of his 3 top targets, still think he could get Timber after World Cup, however be very shocked if FDJ ever has the guts to leave Barca

3vra

I just realize that our strongest team including all 5 new transfers and same changes compared to our deafult 11 eleven last season there is a chance for 8 "new" faces in the team that could start matches

De Gea

Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia

Casemiro Eriksen

Antony Bruno Sancho

Martial

That is only De Gea, Bruno and Sancho from last season. 8 changes, so not far away from 10 changes that Rangnick suggested.

Then we have Maguire, Shaw, Fred, Rashford, Ronaldo as potential first 11 replacement

and few squad players on the bench Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, McT, VDB, Garnacho, Amad

It really just out of nowhere it starts to look like a proper team.

I am really buzzing at the coming season and opportunity to see how ten Hag could show them how to be a team.

C'mon United !

Oranges038

You really have to look at the back 4 as a unit. Maguire has never built up a relationship with anyone around him, or the keeper, no chemistry no sign of them working as a unit. Most importantly he has no command or presence back there.

If you look at how quickly Martinez and Varane have put together some semblance of onfield chemistry then you can see why it's easy to drop him for Varane.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Ten Hag must be super excited now. He's pretty much getting all he wants right? I'd imagine he would like to kick out De Gea and Ronaldo, but that will need a season.

Pronewbie

Peep
Ten Hag must be super excited now. He's pretty much getting all he wants right? I'd imagine he would like to kick out De Gea and Ronaldo, but that will need a season.
Still can’t build out consistently from the back with this squad, unfortunately. That’ll have to wait for next year.

UDontMessWith24

Too early to pose this question, but the fact that there now seems to be cohesion and some signs of unity among the players means they have bought in, in a way that I haven’t seen in a long time. Let’s see if it stays that way.

Rightnr

Rashford in the middle is a waste of time. For that matter, Rashford anywhere in the starting 11 is one but we know EtH will say otherwise because the Glazer rats want him to protect the asset.

SAF is the GOAT

The only reason he's getting the ST position its because he's the only one, bar Ronaldo, that execute some sort of off ball movement and try to lose his defender, but he doesn't do it often and consistently.

Greck

You really have to look at the back 4 as a unit. Maguire has never built up a relationship with anyone around him, or the keeper, no chemistry no sign of them working as a unit. Most importantly he has no command or presence back there.

If you look at how quickly Martinez and Varane have put together some semblance of onfield chemistry then you can see why it's easy to drop him for Varane.
I was kinda actually talking more along the lines of being shocked by his honesty. The actual dropping isn't hard to understand, Maguire's limitations are well documented, rather glaringly if one might add.

In fact he and AWB are just the first of several casualties. Several others will fall short of ETH's preference before season's end. Can't be coaching pumpkins.

Last edited:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I like the fact that he is not afraid to be pragmatic whilst he is obviously building a team around his ideals. There are still going to be tough days - I expect the usual Cassandras on here then to declare everyone frigging useless from the manager through great players, coaching staff and effing tea ladies. It's a work in progress. I'm hapoy to be along for the ride but so far, so good

r0663664

Worships Man City
I like the current squad, we still need a striker, RB and CM. It will takes another 1-2 transfer window to solve this problem. I pray that our XI has no long-term injury, I can see us finishing top 4 if Antony can handle his transfer fee. Sancho can move back to the left, Martial as CF and Antony as right winger. The squad is more balance with Casimiro as the base to offer protection to the back 4. Onward ETH marches on!

Highfather_24

De Gea

Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

Casemiro
Fred/Eriksen
Bruno

Antony
Sancho
Martial

This is what I expect our first XI to be this season. GK, RB, CM and CF need upgrades, but if we stay clear of injuries we might get top 4.

RuudTom83

In an ideal world, United would give ETH a CF + FDJ + Timber over the next 2 windows.

In return ETH would give United Top 4 every year.

Everyone’s happy*

*sort of

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Still think the weak link Bruno in posession.
But I have ro say, 5 new first team players in one summer is top work.

Olecurls99

De Gea

Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

Casemiro
Fred/Eriksen
Bruno

Antony
Sancho
Martial

This is what I expect our first XI to be this season. GK, RB, CM and CF need upgrades, but if we stay clear of injuries we might get top 4.
I agree with that 11. Fred for the scrappier ties, and Eriksen for the games where we will be given the possession keys.

I want to see Malacia building a good understanding with Sancho and the same on the other side with Dalot and Antony. If that starts working then the midfielders will find their jobs much easier as oppo mids will have to to help out wide. Then it's up to Bruno, Eriksen to use the time they have to cut teams open.

I mainly want to see teams fear us for a change. Then we'll be back and I'll be happy regardless of trophies.