Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

OldSchoolManc

What. A. Manager.
I worried for his sanity after Brentford but he brought his rule down and we have seen a complete turnaround.
Passion, control, patterns, effort, playing for the team…
It’s all there and he says himself that it’s just the beginning.
I’m all in on Eric

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Thought he totally bossed Arteta today. Great to have a manager who reacts to what’s happening on the pitch! Delighted that Antony repaid his faith too. Early days but I am more hopeful than I’ve been in years!

DevilRed

Still early days but he has turned around this shitshow faster than anyone would have thought.

Even last years underperformers are now starting to gain confidence and play to their actual levels.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Still early days but he has turned around this shitshow faster than anyone would have thought.

Even last years underperformers are now starting to gain confidence and play to their actual levels.
And the leaks got stopped too.

MrBest

Cannot wait to see how he develops this team over the season. This is the beginning and he's focusing on the basics first.

criticalanalysis

As I said it in the match day thread, Smash and grab, Moments FC :drool: :lol:

And I love it.

Of course it's not that simple but at the same time it is. ETH is being pragmatic, realistic and very progressive at the same time. My manager.

GMoore23

Wasn't sure about this guy as coming from the Dutch league was sure to be a huge step up.

I'm now firmly in the ten Hag camp.

Knows how he wants to play but can adjust as he knows winning is most important.
Takes no shit from players and expects 110% from everyone.
Has handled Ronaldos ego perfectly and has really took him down a peg.
Has signed players with the right mentality and with a desire to play for Man United.

My only gripe is he can wait a tad too long to change things up mid game but overall, This is the man to take us back were we belong. He's a proper leader.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One thing that might go unnoticed was absolute genius by ETH.

He sacrificed Sancho and brought on Fred. We would normally have expected Fred to sit deep with McTominay and Eriksen go to no.10.

But ETH put Fred at no.10 and Bruno to the right wing. Mctominay and Eriksen stayed deep. The reason being he wanted Fred to press Xhaka and Zinchenko who kept coming central and dominating play. As soon as Fred came on, that channel got blocked.

Brilliant management. Keeping Eriksen deep allowed us to play balls from the back to get the counter goal like we did.
I'm not kidding when I saw Fred I was hoping that he plays on the wing or behind Ronaldo, I kept thinking about Park. Then I realized that it was what ETH also had in mind.:cool:

Irwin99

I can kind of understand why some people reference the counter attack goals and lack of possession as references to the previous managers but the passing and the movement and the technique is just night and day difference at times. Having players like Martinez and Eriksen fire the ball quickly in between the lines is a far cry from the days of McFred and Maguire/Lindelof or Matic,Pogba and Smalling at the back. We move the ball so much quicker during the periods where we play well. As ten Hag says there's way more improvement to come as well and I think this is what he means; keeping those periods where we play well but for longer.

It's also pretty obvious why De Jong was wanted so much but Eriksen has been doing a fantastic job.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Might of been mentioned already I haven't read that many pages back but in an interview before the arsenal game Friday or Saturday maybe ? He says UK wise he was always a united fan, and I know the usual thing for people to say is that when coming in to the club is it's all pr and what not but I actually believed him the way he said it.

He is the man that's going to take us back to the top I would put my house on that.

flameinthesun

Neville is baffled on the 180 degrees turn by the team and to be honest none of the players we bought after the brentford defeat had a big impact yet. He is really an inspiring manager not only for the team but also the fans in the way he carries himself and his interviews.
I think Neville knows the reason but doesn't want to say it publicly because it involves Maguire and Shaw. We lose 2 and the manager drops 2 English defenders who have been questioned by the fans as well as the star striker who has been questioned by the fans, played all his new signings bar casemiro and Neville says he doesn't know what's changed...

Ted Lasso

His reaction to Brentford was pretty inspiring, especially knowing he ran with the players. Seeing the reaction the next match definitely seems the players felt that too.

We're improving. Long may it continue

mu4c_20le

fecking loved that he was up and raging after the tackle on Bruno. Fergie vibes.

MinGin

I start to believe that the first two game was to persuade the board how shite of some of the existing players and find more transfer budget :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChaddyP

was a massive Ole fan but i cant argue with this. its a night and day difference in what hes bringing

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I can kind of understand why some people reference the counter attack goals and lack of possession as references to the previous managers but the passing and the movement and the technique is just night and day difference at times. Having players like Martinez and Eriksen fire the ball quickly in between the lines is a far cry from the days of McFred and Maguire/Lindelof or Matic,Pogba and Smalling at the back. We move the ball so much quicker during the periods where we play well. As ten Hag says there's way more improvement to come as well and I think this is what he means; keeping those periods where we play well but for longer.
This is so noticeable. Those two are constantly looking to make the forward pass

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
was a massive Ole fan but i cant argue with this. its a night and day difference in what hes bringing

It's great. They know he is there giving out advise and shall we say encouragement, if needed. They also know he is fighting their corner when needed as well.

cyberman

Neither did Rangnick. That dressing room was a pit of snakes which only compliments Ten Hag even further

AshRK

His substitutions were spot on. Completely out classed Arteta in that last 25 minutes.

But the best part was the first 15 minutes. We were gold. Completely dominated Arsenal. More of that please.

ChaddyP

It's great. They know he is there giving out advise and shall we say encouragement, if needed. They also know he is fighting their corner when needed as well.
This is so massive and something i always liked about Conte and Klopp, they fight for every inch.

RopersReturn

Almost seems as though it’s too good to be true, we feel like a top flight team again, no longer a club cowering behind the other big 4 in the PL. It’s been a breath of fresh air since he took over.

Idxomer

His substitutions were spot on. Completely out classed Arteta in that last 25 minutes.

But the best part was the first 15 minutes. We were gold. Completely dominated Arsenal. More of that please.
I think this is what he will work on now, we dropped too easily after that disallowed goal. He also talked about our pressing routines being a bit of a failure in different parts of the game which is probably one of the reasons we were carved open too easily in the 2nd half.

RedorDead21

If we start to dominate the ball…how do the likes of Martinez and Eriksen have such a big impact in that the opposition teams will be sat deep limiting the space for any runs behind and those great through balls etc. We seem to be doing just fine soaking up teams, turning over possession way too often and just hitting teams in transition. We seem to have a team more built for that as well even with Casemiro starting and with Antony now here. Are we sure we are going to morf into a team having the majority of the ball?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If we start to dominate the ball…how do the likes of Martinez and Eriksen have such a big impact in that the opposition teams will be sat deep limiting the space for any runs behind and those great through balls etc. We seem to be doing just fine soaking up teams, turning over possession way too often and just hitting teams in transition. We seem to have a team more built for that as well even with Casemiro starting and with Antony now here. Are we sure we are going to morf into a team having the majority of the ball?
I think goal 1 is your answer, Arsenal were tough to break down initially. Last season under Ole or Rangnick, there would be no Eriksen and it would be a side ways pass - and no attack as a result. If we try to break the lines more we force defenders to commit and we can capitalise with the talent we have. If we do that more and improve our transitional play we'll be dangerous. Also, having an actual outlet from the RW will definitely make us less predictable.

Xaviboy

It's also pretty obvious why De Jong was wanted so much but Eriksen has been doing a fantastic job.
Agree. 1st 10-15 mins today we kept ball very well. Switched play, 1 touch passes and move. Dragged Arsenal around and was great to see. Think Ten Hag wants to see more of that but if we can master both styles then hats of to him.

Martinez can really see a pass from the back. Amazing what a good ball playing centre back can do. Them passes between the lines in to midfield really are a joy to see. Eriksen just sees things quicker and passing is brilliant. Picking Bruno out in 1st half and then involved with Bruno again for 2nd goal and 3rd goal. Class act.

RopersReturn

Building and training a team that dominates possession and presses high up the field doesn’t happen over night. But he seems to have at least got the balance right, all his signings have been successful from what I’ve seen so far. The last piece of the jigsaw will be De Jong, if we can pursued him in January.
Right now we seem to be finding success with fast counter attacks and precision passes from the central midfield.

Elcabron

Only minor criticism today would be that I thought it was obvious a goal was coming for Arsenal and we should have changed it up sooner but he got it right overall and in the end. Feels great to have won four games in a row and the team is looking very together and motivated already. He has a great presence about him which we have missed.

He seems to have instilled discipline and a good work ethic very quickly. Signings have been great as well.

RedorDead21

I think goal 1 is your answer, Arsenal were tough to break down initially. Last season under Ole or Rangnick, there would be no Eriksen and it would be a side ways pass - and no attack as a result. If we try to break the lines more we force defenders to commit and we can capitalise with the talent we have. If we do that more and improve our transitional play we'll be dangerous. Also, having an actual outlet from the RW will definitely make us less predictable.
I think if we got FDJ in perhaps then we’d see a move to a different style of play..out from the back for example and more controlled possession. I’m not sure we have the attackers for that though as ours seem better on the breakaway. Our transitional play for me seems pretty unbelievable already hard to imagine we will do better on that front especially as teams start to suss out where the though balls are coming from.

RedorDead21

Only minor criticism today would be that I thought it was obvious a goal was coming for Arsenal and we should have changed it up sooner but he got it right overall and in the end. Feels great to have won four games in a row and the team is looking very together and motivated already. He has a great presence about him which we have missed.

He seems to have instilled discipline and a good work ethic very quickly. Signings have been great as well.
Merson put that to him and he straight replied no he didn’t think of changing it up sooner. Only way for these players to learn is to stay on the pitch and go through these goals conceded I guess. They have been told what to do and they should get better at dealing with this in game themselves seems to be his take.

TsuWave

I like how he adapted to the tools available to him. We don’t have the personnel to play his football so he’s adjusted his approach. For example, De Gea isn’t trying to play from the back like he did the first two games.

He’s a good manager

Elcabron

Merson put that to him and he straight replied no he didn’t think of changing it up sooner. Only way for these players to learn is to stay on the pitch and go through these goals conceded I guess. They have been told what to do and they should get better at dealing with this in game themselves seems to be his take.
Fair enough, that's a good answer. Blank expression response from Merson I assume!