Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 643 44.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 803 55.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

RopersReturn

Struggling to think of any PL managers who’ve made as much progress as ETH has, in the short time that he’s been here. Fingers crossed but the futures looking a lot brighter than I could have ever hoped for under his stewardship.

Upticks for everything he’s achieved so far!

norm87cro

I gotta be honest. ETH doesnt strike me as likeable for one second but if he continues like this I couldn't give a f...

Rojofiam

Yeah would say right now our first XI is still a progressive CM and top class striker away from challenging maybe even modern style GK too, in terms of squad depth feel that we still need cover at CB, DM, and AM to cope on all fronts
We have Casemiro and McTominay for the DM spot, it's probably the last position we need a player in.

And Bruno is an availability freak, anyone we get to cover for him will suffer the same fate as VDB.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We have Casemiro and McTominay for the DM spot, it's probably the last position we need a player in.

And Bruno is an availability freak, anyone we get to cover for him will suffer the same fate as VDB.
doesn’t mean we don’t need cover for him. It’s good that he’s always available and rarely injured but it be nice if we could rest him and keep him fully fresh for big games.

croadyman

I meant we need cover for Casemiro, in terms of Bruno maybe someone like Pellistri could be developed to be his deputy in that role but would just worry about him going down for an extended period of time

Rojofiam

I meant we need cover for Casemiro, in terms of Bruno maybe someone like Pellistri could be developed to be his deputy in that role but would just worry about him going down for an extended period of time
That's not how you build a squad. McTominay is perfectly fine as currently second choice DM. You won't get a better DM than him that will be content with sitting on the bench all season waiting for Casemiro to get injured.

Also, Eriksen can cover for Bruno...and also Amad will likely play for us next year.

Rojofiam

doesn’t mean we don’t need cover for him. It’s good that he’s always available and rarely injured but it be nice if we could rest him and keep him fully fresh for big games.
Eriksen / Amad

DJ_21

Eriksen / Amad
Eriksens not played as a 10 for years. He’s better deeper because of his long range of passing. I doubt we’ll play amad as a 10. He’ll mainly be played on RW. I’d say sancho could be trained there though. Has the dribbling ability and creativeness to be a 10.

croadyman

Eriksens not played as a 10 for years. He’s better deeper because of his long range of passing. I doubt we’ll play amad as a 10. He’ll mainly be played on RW.
Yeah I would say Eriksen is better deeper as well hence we could do with a bit of cover

Rojofiam

Eriksens not played as a 10 for years. He’s better deeper because of his long range of passing. I doubt we’ll play amad as a 10. He’ll mainly be played on RW. I’d say sancho could be trained there though. Has the dribbling ability and creativeness to be a 10.
Yeah I would say Eriksen is better deeper as well hence we could do with a bit of cover
So you would sign another #10 which we don't need at all (because they'd play 5 games a season), whilst desperately needing a striker, a goalkeeper, backup goalkeeper, backup centre back, new RB rival for Dalot, and a new #8...

The 4 positions where we don't need new players for years is LB, LW, AM and CDM...Idk how you can name one of these positions where we need new signings

croadyman

So you would sign another #10 which we don't need at all, whilst desperately needing a striker, a goalkeeper, backup goalkeeper, backup centre back, new RB rival for Dalot, and a new #8...

The 4 positions where we don't need new players for years is LB, LM, AM and CDM...Idk how you can name one of these positions where we need new signings
If you listened to what I said above I wouldn't prioritise it over striker or number 8 but would be in consideration just behind cover for CB, RB and GK that was the point I was trying to make

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I gotta be honest. ETH doesnt strike me as likeable for one second but if he continues like this I couldn't give a f...
I've met him a couple of times and he is very down to earth, humble and rather different after a drink or two. ;)

Rojofiam

If you listened to what I said above I wouldn't prioritise it over striker or number 8 but would be in consideration just behind cover for CB, RB and GK that was the point I was trying to make
Well, I don't agree with that at all. When Bruno needs resting for a few games, Eriksen and Amad can cover for him. Amad will not be a starting RW or AM anyways, so more games for him when Bruno skips a cup tie, etc. No point in bringing in a new player to play 5 games a season. Look at VDB.

And before you reiterate that Eriksen is better deeper: Yes, but that doesn't mean he cannot cover at #10 as well...and the Dane probably won't be in the XI next season either.

DJ_21

So you would sign another #10 which we don't need at all (because they'd play 5 games a season), whilst desperately needing a striker, a goalkeeper, backup goalkeeper, backup centre back, new RB rival for Dalot, and a new #8...

The 4 positions where we don't need new players for years is LB, LW, AM and CDM...Idk how you can name one of these positions where we need new signings
Did I say we should sign a #10? I said we do need cover for Bruno eventually. No way I’d prioritise that signing over a striker, keeper or RB. Striker should be top of our transfer list. I’d even put a cm high up on the list aswell to partner Casemiro. Eriksen can’t play every single game and shouldn’t be.

DJ_21

Well, I don't agree with that at all. When Bruno needs resting for a few games, Eriksen and Amad can cover for him. Amad will not be a starting RW or AM anyways, so more games for him when Bruno skips a cup tie, etc. No point in bringing in a new player to play 5 games a season. Look at VDB.

And before you reiterate that Eriksen is better deeper: Yes, but that doesn't mean he cannot cover at #10 as well...and the Dane probably won't be in the XI next season either.
Next season will be different because we’ll hopefully be in the CL so we’ll need our very best players on the pitch. Where as this season in the Europa league and cup games we could have done with more depth.

Tony247

I’m so excited for ETH’s first real test.
This match actually going to be interesting in terms of what did he learn and how he is going to set up. Enough time has passed for him to know the players and vice versa. That doesn't mean the team is there yet but even if they put up a good fight that should be encouraging.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I believe ETH have SAF level of talent in people management.

I feel we at the Caf underestimate the level of talent at the club still to be shown. With proper management Sancho, Pellistri, Garnacho, Malacia wil turn into capable units. Plenty of options.

croadyman

I believe ETH have SAF level of talent in people management.

I feel we at the Caf underestimate the level of talent at the club still to be shown. With proper management Sancho, Pellistri, Garnacho, Malacia wil turn into capable units. Plenty of options.
Starting to sound like Pellistri could go out on loan UNLESS he makes bench in next few games to end of window

ThinkTank@Cafe

Starting to sound like Pellistri could go out on loan UNLESS he makes bench in next few games to end of window
I believe Pellistri staying at the club to spend time with ETH made sense. Eric had time to get to know Pellistri as a player and a personality.
Sending him on loan to Championship might be a plausible option.
You are right, being on the bench for one (after City and Arsenal I assume) of the matches before 31st is important.

croadyman

I believe Pellistri staying at the club to spend time with ETH made sense. Eric had time to get to know Pellistri as a player and a personality.
Sending him on loan to Championship might be a plausible option.
You are right, being on the bench for one (after City and Arsenal I assume) of the matches before 31st is important.
I would have him on bench for City and Arsenal over Elanga but don't see it happening

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The biggest achievement of EtH is that we’re fun to watch again. It’s entertaining!!! Fecking good football play.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Seems like we need the stories behind that wink there.
You've seen the celebrations with the latinos after the 2021 title, right? That's what I was talking about. After the work is done he gets awkwardly funny.

Greck

The best thing about the results is the performances don't even look like we're anywhere close to the intended potential. With Ole and Jose a shitty performance in any win was as good as we could ask. There was no organised philosophy from game to game. The rebuild was simply buy a new team.

Last edited:

Hackman2210

Its taken us 10 years to find the best man for the job and dont you know it Steve Mclaren is back as well. Let the good times roll. Win, lose or draw this weekend - the next 5 seasons are going to be something to look forward to. Love ETH!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If he doesn't win the league cup he should be sacked.
Bite you bastards BITE

Anustart89

Anything less than the quadruple, and questions will need to seriously be asked.
I think that even if he wins the Carabao cup, FA cup, PL and EL I think we need to ask ourselves if we want to keep a manager who couldn't get us promoted to the CL and win that.

Bebe

Isn't it incredible what can happen when your football club hires the outstanding candidate instead of a big name or someone who used to play for the club?

Glad it only took us a decade to figure out.

davidmichael

If someone asked me at the start of the season if I’d be happy with a cup trophy and a top four finish I’d have told them I’d be over the moon with that and it’s a genuinely realistic thing, it says a lot about the work ETH has done that I’d now be disappointed if we didn’t achieve that target this season.

The work ETH has done with improving player performance levels is unreal and he’s somehow managed to actually create depth in the squad with players you’d consider deadwood, I honestly believe we’re a top striker like Kane and a player who plays Eriksen’s role in a midfield two naturally away from being potential league winners.

I was worried about right back at the start of the season yet Dalot has gone up a few levels as has AWB now plus Laird to come back means we’re stocked whilst Shaw and Malacia have left back sewn up. I was worried about Martinez due to his height but I was wrong and his partnership with Varane is the best in the league, Varane has even managed to put a run of games together.

The signing of Casemiro has been transformative and he’s so much more than just a defensive midfielder as he’s shown he can really play too but mostly he’s the leader we needed and leads Eriksen, McTominay, Fred or whoever is there by example so they raise their game.

What ETH has done with Rashford is nothing short of a modern miracle and Fernandes whilst still at times frustrating is so much more of a team player now and looks unleashed with no Ronaldo. I’ve got faith in Antony who’s adapting and think ETH will make good of Sancho and Martial but he’s also now brought Garnacho and Pellestri through too.