Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlexUTD

In good luck messages in the new job from De Ligt, De Jong, Timber, Haller and Antony.Antony basicly says "I will follow you if you need me" and what does Haller mean with "See you soon" Are we signing Haller?

Mr Smith

Really hope that the fixture list for 2022/3 season is kind to us. We need an (on paper) reasonably easy start.... if we can get a run of games going where we look good the much needed feel good factor will soon be back. Sad that we have to think about next year in what used to be squeaky bum part of the season.
We had a reasonably easy start to this season and it didn't help us much...

Ultimately we have to just take the fixture list as it comes and give Ten Hag time. The online community in particular needs to calm down and not create a storm every time we lose. There's a high chance we could have two new bodies in midfield, and they'll need time to adjust and play the way Ten Hag wants them to.

Glorio

surely there is a better example than this? He has two players close to him one already moving towards him, if he has receives the ball there he has a good chance of being closed down and losing possession
Not sure what more you need after that video - you seem to be opting for wilful ignorance in spite of the obvious here. Surely you can't be Ok with the "movement" on show there? He's literally shadowing the opposition players.

If you insist, just go and watch the last few United games he's started and you'll see the exact same thing. The stat against Chelsea (I think) where he had 2 successful passes in the whole second half is damning in itself.

Tarrou

Not sure what more you need after that video - you seem to be opting for wilful ignorance in spite of the obvious here. Surely you can't be Ok with the "movement" on show there? He's literally shadowing the opposition players.

If you insist, just go and watch the last few United games he's started and you'll see the exact same thing. The stat against Chelsea (I think) where he had 2 successful passes in the whole second half is damning in itself.
And yet another reply where I'm told to just go and watch our games. I've seen all our games, I don't need to see them again. Do you not see the irony of responding to me with no examples and saying I'm wilfully ignorant? If you're accusing a player of deliberately hiding, you need to come up with something.. anything, or what is the point in discussing it?

If he was deliberately hiding from the ball there would be plenty of specific examples to look at. Instead I've been given one clip where you see an average midfielder struggling to find space against one of the best midfields in the world, and best coached teams in the world. I mean okay, what a surprise.

So, where is all the evidence? Apparently, it's so obvious you just need to watch any of our games, and despite being so obvious it's up-to me to go and find it.

Surely if a Manchester United regular midfielder was deliberately hiding in games there would be snippets all over the internet? Compilation videos on Youtube? But no, we have one clip showing him struggling to find space in midfield in a game in which we always get over-run.

But that isn't what's happening. He's just an average midfielder playing in a dysfunctional team and midfield.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

And yet another reply where I'm told to just go and watch our games. I've seen all our games, I don't need to see them again. Do you not see the irony of responding to me with no examples and saying I'm wilfully ignorant? If you're accusing a player of deliberately hiding, so you need to come up with something.. anything.

If he was deliberately hiding from the ball there would be plenty of specific examples to look at. Instead I've been given one clip where you see an average midfielder struggling to find space against one of the best midfields in the world, and best coached teams in the world. I mean okay, what a surprise.

So, where is all the evidence? Apparently, it's so obvious you just need to watch any of our games, and despite being so obvious it's up-to me to go and find it.

Surely if a Manchester United regular midfielder was deliberately hiding in games there would be snippets all over the internet? Compilation videos on Youtube? But no, we have one clip showing him struggling to find space in midfield in a game in which we always get over-run.

But that isn't what's happening. He's just an average midfielder playing in a dysfunctional team and midfield.
If he's not deliberately hiding then he's thick as shit and his awareness and positioning are abysmal. Either way average is rating him too highly, he's rubbish.

In Rainbows

And yet another reply where I'm told to just go and watch our games. I've seen all our games, I don't need to see them again. Do you not see the irony of responding to me with no examples and saying I'm wilfully ignorant? If you're accusing a player of deliberately hiding, so you need to come up with something.. anything.
The reason why people aren't responding with more examples is because it requires downloading the video and cutting up a video clip to post on here. It's not because they can't come up with more examples.

Tarrou

If he's not deliberately hiding then he's thick as shit and his awareness and positioning are abysmal. Either way average is rating him too highly, he's rubbish.
Yeah fair enough. I don't think he's good enough either. I just don't think it's deliberate. If people think otherwise and there is no discussing beyond "just go watch our games" we'll just have to agree to disagree.

L1nk

Guess thats why we are keeping Ramsay but McClaren seems to be replacing Phelan

Tarrou

The reason why people aren't responding with more examples is because it requires downloading the video and cutting up a video clip to post on here. It's not because they can't come up with more examples.
They can't give time-stamps?

Anyway let's move on. We all agree McT isn't good enough to be a starter anyway.

Nordmore

Sounds promising. But I'll wait and see if that can be put into practice with these prima donnas
This is my biggest worry too. He's no doubt a fantastic coach. But he has never ever managed the superstars, the big egos yet. It'll be hell of a challenge for him I think.

Looks like he'd want to keep Ronaldo too. Would be very interesting to see how he'd implement his pressing style with Ronaldo.

IhabX7

This is my biggest worry too. He's no doubt a fantastic coach. But he has never ever managed the superstars, the big egos yet. It'll be hell of a challenge for him I think.

Looks like he'd want to keep Ronaldo too. Would be very interesting to see how he'd implement his pressing style with Ronaldo.
Stop worrying mate. The players aren’t evil plotters and the board will back the manager.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
United have in most cases appointed the wrong coaches at the wrong times over the years. I would give exception to LVG who did well in an international tournament beforehand and was the only manager who showed a small percentage of positivity and promise to building something overtime (lots of breakthrough appearances for youth players, United controlled games more compared to Moyes, Ole and Jose).
Its amazing how people can romanticise the LVG period into anything of positivity is amazing.

United controlled games?!!! :lol: :lol:

At what costs? Controlling a game isn't the end-all of football. We played counter-attacked for years under Fergie.

LVG football was the worst I have ever seen United play.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

People rules apply everywhere the same. Pep took over Barca, even Fergie started small. Why worry? Look how much the players like him, and if not, they will be out

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We don't have any superstars except Ronaldo. Apart from him none of them belongs to that category. Apart from Ronaldo and Varane, we have players who have achieved nothing (winning trophies) at top level.

phelans shorts

Its amazing how people can romanticise the LVG period into anything of positivity is amazing.

United controlled games?!!! :lol: :lol:

At what costs? Controlling a game isn't the end-all of football. We played counter-attacked for years under Fergie.

LVG football was the worst I have ever seen United play.
Hey, he also gave big breaks to luminaries of the game, like Tyler Blackett and Donald Love. They were in no way car crash footballers.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

How many superstars do we have?
Exclude Varane and Ronny, count the number of career medals. Most of our players have done nothing of note in their careers.

Paul778

We don't have any superstars except Ronaldo. Apart from him none of them belongs to that category. Apart from Ronaldo and Varane, we have players who have achieved nothing (winning trophies) at top level.
Hmmm. Matic, Mata, Cavani, Pogba have all won lots of silverware over the years. Even DDG and Jones have EPL medals.

They are all past their best however. ETH and Ralf have both spoken about getting players on their first or second big contract and getting rid by their third contract to maximise resale value and keep the squad fresh. Let's see how that works out.

Adisa

Phelan is supposed to bridge the link between staff and players. In that time, he has seen twoanagers crash and burn. Don't see the merit.

Adisa

Hmmm. Matic, Mata, Cavani, Pogba have all won lots of silverware over the years. Even DDG and Jones have EPL medals.

They are all past their best however. ETH and Ralf have both spoken about getting players on their first or second big contract and getting rid by their third contract to maximise resale value and keep the squad fresh. Let's see how that works out.
Matic, Mata, Pogba and Cavani are all leaving. Jones likely as well.
Dave has only one league title to his name

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Matic, Mata, Cavani, Pogba are leaving on free transfer, Jones might be gone too. De Gea yes and that was like long back.

Glorio

And yet another reply where I'm told to just go and watch our games. I've seen all our games, I don't need to see them again. Do you not see the irony of responding to me with no examples and saying I'm wilfully ignorant? If you're accusing a player of deliberately hiding, you need to come up with something.. anything, or what is the point in discussing it?

The man was casually jogging laterally while keeping behind the opponents positionally and keeping pace with them, at no time did they have to strain to keep up or cut any passing lanes, and he didn't once decide to go deep to retrieve the ball. That's a professional footballer - I don't believe he can be that bad. This is why I feel the video is damning enough and can't understand the need for more videos showing the same thing. Logically you could just as well come up with the same deduction of being poor positionally from multiple.
Also, personally I don't know if hiding is dramatic enough for folks to spend their time searching and cutting clips for. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Anyways, you have the one video and I included that additional stat that's been posted on this site - which you regularly browse, I presume.
If you can't see it still (including what at least is clear as day from all the games we've played - IMO), fair play to you. While folks are interested enough to respond and call it out, I suspect we're definitely not invested enough to go looking for evidence on your behalf. It's what it is.

Apologies for asserting you were willfully being ignorant by the way, really did think you were, perhaps it's just a case of different strokes and all

Last edited:

babablue

What superstars do we have? He has won more than anyone except Ronaldo, Varane and Pogba. Ronaldo seems excited to work with him, Varane doesn't strike me as that kind of player and Pogba is probably gone.

Greck

Phelan? Is the club even considering whether he'd be a good match for an obsessive tactician? He wouldn't even be here if he wasn't renewed weeks before Ole got sacked. How often does the manager get sacked and his handpicked assistant he brought to the club stay behind. They failed together.

Club should pay his termination fee instead of trying to justify the cock up of a renewal. They should just be happy Mckenna and Carrick bailed them out by leaving on their own accord.

Tarrou

The man was casually jogging laterally while keeping behind the opponents positionally and keeping pace with them, at no time did they have to strain to keep up or cut any passing lanes, and he didn't once decide to go deep to retrieve the ball. That's a professional footballer - I don't believe he can be that bad. This is why I feel the video is damning enough and can't understand the need for more videos showing the same thing. Logically you could just as well come up with the same deduction of being poor positionally from multiple.
Also, personally I don't know if hiding is dramatic enough for folks to spend their time searching and cutting clips for. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Anyways, you have the one video and I included that additional stat that's been posted on this site - which you regularly browse, I presume.
If you can't see it still (including what at least is clear as day from all the games we've played - IMO), fair play to you. While folks are interested enough to respond and call it out, I suspect we're definitely not invested enough to go looking for evidence on your behalf. It's what it is.
i think he’s struggling to find space and you think he’s deliberately hiding, so let’s just agree to disagree

I’m okay with that and it doesn’t matter anyway

Unam333

Really good interview with a Dutch journalist who know's Ten Hag better than any English journalist.

Really good podcast. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully Ten Hag will succeed. Real change is coming.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Really good interview with a Dutch journalist who know's Ten Hag better than any English journalist.

I've been listening to this this morning, really good stuff, particularly that he went through those struggles and survived thanks to Overmars backing him, and also his adaptation. The adaptation and the club backing him will be key going forward.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The more I’m hearing about ETH, his attention to detail, drive and determination. The more exceptional I think he is. He’s turned the tables on Manchester United in a job interview. Made Twente manager Steve Mclaren adapt to his philosophy when he was his assistant !

I’d always considered it a shame that his Ajax team didn’t get to the CL final that season but perhaps it was a blessing. Had they won it there’s just no way he’d have been at Ajax this season for us to get him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There is only one important question: will the board and fans back him even when things are not going well?

Mercurial

Bar Ronaldo, do we actually have any superstars? :rolleyes:

Flexdegea

He's plucked that out of thin air but he knows the base well, he knows it's a tweet story not revealing much but guaranteed to drum up anger and clicks as everybody be thinking the same these clowns ain't changed at all, same old same old.

Works a treat too :lol: