Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 644 44.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 802 55.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

L1nk

1 of ETH weaknesses are his subs and bringing them on to late. If Garnacho comes on at halve time when it’s 1-1 I think we have a chance of winning that game. He made us look different and was a threat.
What's weird to me is how it all switched mid season, there was a point in the first half of the season when we were known as the second half team, and Erik was smashing the subs, infact there were multiple instances of subs directly winning us a match. Then in the second half of the season it flipped and we performed better in the first half than the second and he became more conservative and dare I say wrong in his subs that arguably cost us some points. Not sure what happened there

luke511

What's weird to me is how it all switched mid season, there was a point in the first half of the season when we were known as the second half team, and Erik was smashing the subs, infact there were multiple instances of subs directly winning us a match. Then in the second half of the season it flipped and we performed better in the first half than the second and he became more conservative and dare I say wrong in his subs that arguably cost us some points. Not sure what happened there
There was a period of us starting Weghorst and improving when he was subbed off, then there was the period of us subbing Weghorst on and then becoming a less of a threat because of it.

Skills

Snitch
I am not bitter at all, but it might be we are thinking a bit different on the same subject. I know Pep got more silverware and more honours than EtH. I know that he is world class. But I can see that EtH got something special.

It’s like new players coming through and they are not able to match silverware and honours to the players that have been around for years. That doesn’t mean that they are not in the same bracket and probably will do exactly that in the future.

For me I can see that Erik is definitely one of the best in the game regardless of less silverware and honours. I will be amazed if we very soon are not talking about him in the same manner as Pep and Klopp.
Be prepared to be amazed then I guess. This post feels very much in the category of delusional parents who think their kid is Oxbridge/Ivy league level just because they want it to be true.

Well it doesn't quite work like that. Klopp and especially Guardiola are very much a special case in football. It's unrealistic to expect anyone to be as good as them - but that doesn't mean you still can't be successful with someone who's not that sort of level.

romufc

I actually think Ten Hag's plan in the cup final was very good, the way we set up, to press City and stop them building with ease, I thought we did that well and stopped City playing their usual football.

Unfortunately, we lack in areas of the pitch to hurt them going the other way. If we can add to the spine of the team, we could get closer to them but we need to do it more consistently.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I actually think Ten Hag's plan in the cup final was very good, the way we set up, to press City and stop them building with ease, I thought we did that well and stopped City playing their usual football.

Unfortunately, we lack in areas of the pitch to hurt them going the other way. If we can add to the spine of the team, we could get closer to them but we need to do it more consistently.
Agreed and I don't think he's getting enough credit for it. It was a similar game to the one at OT.

romufc

Agreed and I don't think he's getting enough credit for it. It was a similar game to the one at OT.
Yep, Its funny because the narrative will be City didnt play that well and we didnt beat them. Rather it was we didn't let City play but didn't have the quality to hurt them.

I am sure if we had better players, the set up, we would have kept the ball better and had more chances.

NLunited

Did as well as he could really. He set us up really well but the gap in quality was just too much.

I really hope we can identify the right players to seriously improve this squad or else this is as good as it gets really. He's a good manager but no magician.

Also keep him away from bringing anymore Dutch League products.
Bring on the Eredivisie products if they are anything close to the quality of Martinez.

NLunited

Got it spot on today City are a far superior team but we were in the game. De Gea should have saved both goals and given city’s long shots looks like Pep saw him as the weakness.
The first shot is not saveable, not even close.

NLunited

I don't have any confidence in him in big games. Ole knew how to set us up better for those.

He is a better manager in that I'd expect him to beat the other 16 or so teams in the league, but he has no plans for teams that are better than us.
We beat City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Barça.

You were saying?!?

Stacks

75 points is a pretty good start imo. 23 wins. only 5 less than city. Need more goal scorers to lessen the load on Rashford as I feel we have limited genuine scoring threats. did not disgrace ourselves against City in the final. Not sure how he wants us to play going forward as we seem to change quite a bit so can't see us playing like his Ajax team as the premier league is a different challenge and different rules apply. I'll give him till November

NLunited

He would. I don’t think anyone comes close to Fergie. One of a kind.

I think you are spot on. He is getting closer. What he has done this season is exceptional imo.

It’s something special about him. His a bit different and somewhat crazy. Strange that people can’t see that. People like him are the ones who make it and get success.
What Ten Hag and Pep have in common is that fanatacism backed by smarts. What Pep doesn‘t have is over performing with an underdog team, which SAF and Ten Hag have done.

erikcred

Have you ever seen that comparison debated? If not why not?
No I haven't seen that debated. Probably because it's not a very interesting debate.

No one is saying that ETH is as good as Pep at the moment. My point was that *comparing* them is not the same as saying they are *equal*. Saying that ETH has excellent potential is not the same as saying they are equal. So no need to get bent out of shape when fans of the club feel excited by what the new manager could potentially achieve given the right support.

Marwood

No I haven't seen that debated. Probably because it's not a very interesting debate.

No one is saying that ETH is as good as Pep at the moment. My point was that *comparing* them is not the same as saying they are *equal*. Saying that ETH has excellent potential is not the same as saying they are equal. So no need to get bent out of shape when fans of the club feel excited by what the new manager could potentially achieve given the right support.
Exactly. The whole point of a comparison is to compare two similar things.

So for that reason nobody would see the point in comparing McTominay and Messi.

For the same reason you can't even begin to compare ETH and Pep.

I'm far from a Pep superfan but the two don't belong in the same conversation.

Marwood

What Ten Hag and Pep have in common is that fanatacism backed by smarts. What Pep doesn‘t have is over performing with an underdog team, which SAF and Ten Hag have done.
And what does Pep have that ETH doesn't?

NLunited

For obvious reasons. Even if ETH works for 20 more years (he will be 73, SAF retired when he was 71) and Pep wins very little in the future (hopefully) ... for the vast majority of fans worldwide, Pep would still be considered the better manager with the better career.

We all want ETH to become very successful with us. But at this point, we should not compare him to Pep, he is too far behind to be considered at a similar level.
I don‘t think that is a fair way of comparing achievement.

Pep has done nothing like Ten Hag‘s underdog runs in the CL.

Ten Hag has not had the pleasure of managing a team with the most resources in the league. That is all Pep has done.

So that is why you can‘t compare them like this. Pep is a great manager but gherd will always be question marks. I‘m not even mentioning the cheating.

el3mel

Delusion because I see something special in our manager? You must be a really entertaining person to be around :lol:
There's no world in which Ten Hag is currently comparable to Guardiola, one of the best managers in the history of the sport. Delusion at its finest. You can think there's something special in him without making our rivals laugh at us.

el3mel

Ten Hag has not had the pleasure of managing a team with the most resources in the league. That is all Pep has done.

So that is why you can‘t compare them like this. Pep is a great manager but gherd will always be question marks. I‘m not even mentioning the cheating.
Guardiola doesn't need a run with an underdog in CL, because he's way, way too good to manage an underdog to start with. It's not his fault that managing these kind of teams is beneath his abilities.

Marwood

The best resources everywhere he worked.
And what else?

But surely there's a bigger question mark as things stand about ETH i.e. hasn't yet won a major title in one of the top leagues/top European competitions.

I like ETH but he's got it all to prove still and is 53.

Irwin99

Agreed. With Martial and Antony out our attacking options were so limited, but bringing Garnacho on against tired legs almost paid off. After Rodri missed that header to make it 2-0 early on i was scared it was going to be a massacre but I thought we contained them pretty well after that. The stupid goals we conceded cost us the game, not the tactics.

Hopefully Inter and Inzaghi were watching that and it gave them food for thought.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Ye we did quite well I think. I think if we had Antony in this game it could have been a difference maker as we had no width at all. Sancho kept coming in the middle. Garnacho brought width in the 2nd halve. What I like though is that we actually went head to head with them where as previous years we’d sit behind the ball and get hammered. ETH is trying to build a team that takes risk and goes head to head with the best.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Guardiola doesn't need a run with an underdog in CL, because he's way, way too good to manage an underdog to start with. It's not his fault that managing these kind of teams is beneath his abilities.
He's not too good to take over a sleeping giant. Until he takes a serious challenge, it's hard to put him in the same bracket as the likes of SAF and the other greats. The man has had the three easiest jobs any manager could ask for.

Alfie092

ETH wants Mount and players like DDG to stay. Weak mindset and not ruthless enough. Worry about the style of football he is trying to implement.

Hopefully the Glazers realise he is not the manager we thought he would be and instead sold us dreams.

Crimson King

ETH wants Mount and players like DDG to stay. Weak mindset and not ruthless enough. Worry about the style of football he is trying to implement.

Hopefully the Glazers realise he is not the manager we thought he would be and instead sold us dreams.
No white text?

croadyman

He must be absolutely sick to the back teeth of this takeover saga,poor bloke can't go off and enjoy his holiday either

croadyman

Get this joker off the CAF NOW

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Dreams can't be buy

croadyman

There's no world in which Ten Hag is currently comparable to Guardiola, one of the best managers in the history of the sport. Delusion at its finest. You can think there's something special in him without making our rivals laugh at us.
You really didn't want Erik did you,maybe just go and support City if you love Guardiola so much

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Who cares about rivals laughing at us? This is a United forum and any rival who has an issue with it is free to leave.
Incredible energy you invest to put down our own manager who is clearly taking us into the right direction. You must be still hurt from your hero deservedly losing the EL final recently.