Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
There's nothing "wrong" with it. I just didn't come away thinking ETH is particularly charismatic or a great communicator. Just an opinion
To be fair this is exactly what all the Dutch posters and Dutch media have been saying about him. He was mocked when he first went to Ajax - but what counts is what he does on the pitch.

city-puma

There's nothing "wrong" with it. I just didn't come away thinking ETH is particularly charismatic or a great communicator. Just an opinion
I don’t feel the same way. He talks in a slow but concise approach. You just immediately get the whole point that he wants to deliver to you. He is very grounded and communicated through a very solid and confident mood. He has no hesitation or a pause for a fraction second to give answers after hearing reporter’s questions.
imagine you are the player talking with him.He must be persuasive and constructive!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The same fans who clapped Moyes and Ole off the pitch as we got bodied 4-0 by Liverpool?
I remember that. I can't understand why standards have dropped to such a level that after being spanked at OT, the fans would deem it appropriate to clap and cheer the manager.
If it was a one-off bad result, I could understand, but these were not one-off results. Moyes and Ole (in his final season) were disastrous.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I can't help but feel that we will start the first league next season, with almost exactly the same team who stank up the place this season.
The only outgoings will likely be Pogba and LIngard because we can't sell the players we have due to them being crap and on high wages.
I've become so disillusioned with every single manager we have hired, that I truly believe that McFred will be our midfield, with Lindelof and Maguire in defence. All these players should be sold as they are not good enough.

Fr. Todd Unctious

I should damn well think a lot of them are fearful of their place at the club. A huge amount of them were a fecking disgrace the season just gone. And some of them need to be shown the door this summer

copen1945

As much as I would want instant and significant changes at the start of the season, that is not a realistic prospect. Patience will be needed. Next season, at least, would be choatic and infuriating. I just want to see some progress. Definitely, I want to see better attitudes from our players.

432JuanMata

People thinking ETH will go into this season with mostly the same team are just worrying. He will come in and see McFred try adept times his attacking football and realise they can’t control a game.
Yes it won’t be the 10 players like Ralf said we needed but there will be big changes

Greck

I can't help but feel that we will start the first league next season, with almost exactly the same team who stank up the place this season.
The only outgoings will likely be Pogba and LIngard because we can't sell the players we have due to them being crap and on high wages.
I've become so disillusioned with every single manager we have hired, that I truly believe that McFred will be our midfield, with Lindelof and Maguire in defence. All these players should be sold as they are not good enough.
None of our previous managers bar LVG had an on-ball philosophy. For the most part there was no need to be precise about the technical profile of the players. ETH is the first since LVG and like LVG he will make some massive changes because he actually needs the right kinds of talents for his system to work. I'm way too sure of this.

It shouldn't come as a surprise if he even bins some higher profile names next summer (but it probably will). I still can't wrap my head around people being shocked that he might not want a player like AWB. This is total football. No compensating for passengers, not even a little bit. everyone must have ability with the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some/many of them are already on the way out. If you think anyone would let as much as ten players leave at once before a season of potentially 60 games, I don’t think you connect enough with reality
There are many players whose contract is up and also players who wants out (as per reports)

Leaving on free transfer
Pogba
Mata
Lee grant
Lingard
Cavani
Matic

First team players who might be sold as per reports
Jones or Bailly
AWB or Dalot
Dean Henderson

Thats 9 players. Then we have players who are out on loan who might be loaned out and sold, players like Pereira, Tuanzebe, B Williams and even Martial.

Without doing much there will be lot of outgoings because contract is up for 5-7 players.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's hilarious how he's making it all about himself, and making himself into some kind of big shot who you cannot conceivably not be talking to.
tbf poor Gary. He flew to Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago to interview ETH but ignored then too.

sglowrider

By 'not impressive' what do you mean? What would you have liked to have seen from him? I think it was excellent - measured, assured, confident and not giving too much away.
People are all expecting future United managers to do the Rangnick interviews. Wash your dirty laundry in public interviews. And talk tactics to show the world how smart I am type presentation interviews.

Jibbs

There are many players whose contract is up and also players who wants out (as per reports)

Leaving on free transfer
Pogba
Mata
Lee grant
Lingard
Cavani
Matic

Jones or Bailly
AWB or Dalot
Dean Henderson

Thats 9 players. Then we have players who are out on loan who might be loaned out and sold, players like Pereira, Tuanzebe, B Williams and even Martial.

Without doing much there will be lot of outgoings because contract is up for 5-7 players.

This is what I would do...

starting from goalkeeper
Sell Henderson for around 40 m and get Sam Johnstone

In Defense...
I will try to loan/sell AWB to Atletico with an option to buy and get Lodi from them.
Sell Jones, Bailly , Tuanzebe and Telles.
Buy Timber and Torres/Ndicka.

In Midfield
Pogba and Matic will leave
I will try to get Neves if FDJ is not possible and get Ibrahim Sangre or Konrad Laimer.

In attack:
Try to sell Martrial and get Antony.
Get a striker like Nkunku / Nunez.

Yakuza_devils

It's simple, if you're fearful means that you're fecking not doing your job or work hard enough.

Forget about skills and abilities, some of them are not willing to even run and press for 90 mins as a professional football player. This rotten mentality and attitude should be rightfully kicked out of the club regardless if you're Rashford, Ronaldo, Bruno or Shoretire

sglowrider

This is what I would do...

starting from goalkeeper
Sell Henderson for around 40 m and get Sam Johnstone

In Defense...
I will try to loan/sell AWB to Atletico with an option to buy and get Lodi from them.
Sell Jones, Bailly , Tuanzebe and Telles.
Buy Timber and Torres/Ndicka.

In Midfield
Pogba and Matic will leave
I will try to get Neves if FDJ is not possible and get Ibrahim Sangre or Konrad Laimer.

In attack:
Try to sell Martrial and get Antony.
Get a striker like Nkunku / Nunez.
His biggest decision is how does he play Ronaldo. He will be 38 when the season starts --- at that age, he will need to conserve all his energy for only vital moments and is unlikely to press the oppostion's defenders for like 80mins of the game.

If he can figure a way around this then he truly is the gegenpress genius that Rangnick pretended to be.

reelworld

- For those who feel United’s players need a jolt, it can only be regarded as beneficial that Van der Gaag carries the look of a Bond villain with his thick-rimmed glasses and firm expression.
I see the potential for good cop bad cop routine with McClaren here

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
It's okay to be fearful. The unknown breeds fear. Change comes with uncertainty in tow. You leave your comfort zone, and try something new, and this is bound to make one doubt oneself. But this is a good sign. It is an indication that whatever happens, you know you cannot go back to that comfort zone. The fear is not only one of uncertainty, but it is also a grudging acknowledgement that there is no falling back, no reverting to the "good old (ole?) days". One of the best ways to dispel this mental discomfort, is to make peace with the new state of affairs, and never look back. Because you know that mediocrity lies just over your shoulder. And, ahead towers the mist-shrouded peaks of glory. Sherpa Ten Hag awaits.

Or, alternatively, you could go ahead and vomit into the nearest toilet paper to see it splattered all across social media, and delude yourself that the echo of emptiness you hear as you try to draw from the well of the fans' sympathy, is not indeed your bucket hitting rock bottom.

Jibbs

His biggest decision is how does he play Ronaldo. He will be 38 when the season starts --- at that age, he will need to conserve all his energy for only vital moments and is unlikely to press the oppostion's defenders for like 80mins of the game.

If he can figure a way around this then he truly is the gegenpress genius that Rangnick pretended to be.
This and if he gets Martial to regain is old form.

sglowrider

This and if he gets Martial to regain is old form.
I said it on the Martial thread -- I think Antho's legs are gone. I suspect the series of injuries he has had over the past 18-24 months have either been more serious than reported or its been cumulative.

He has never had that raw straight-line speed like say a Rashford.

You will notice that his quick turn of pace or his first few steps which gave him the ability to turn in tight spaces and accelerate is non-existant now.

He has tried to compensate by bulking up but now only looks lumbering. He just finds it difficult to beat his man to create space regardless of positions -- LW or striker.

Utuhu

McFred combination will earn him a sack. He should disturb the board to get him two brand new CMs that are press resistant and technically gifted.

bringbackbebe

People are all expecting future United managers to do the Rangnick interviews. Wash your dirty laundry in public interviews. And talk tactics to show the world how smart I am type presentation interviews.
:lol:

It's actually quite refreshing to see a manager who says he's done the analysis, he's going to keep it for himself and have the football do the talking.

Nordmore

People thinking ETH will go into this season with mostly the same team are just worrying. He will come in and see McFred try adept times his attacking football and realise they can’t control a game.
Yes it won’t be the 10 players like Ralf said we needed but there will be big changes
Tbh if he'd need to wait till then to realise they can't control a game then he's definitely not the right guy. Even my dog knows they can't.

jesperjaap

None of our previous managers bar LVG had an on-ball philosophy. For the most part there was no need to be precise about the technical profile of the players. ETH is the first since LVG and like LVG he will make some massive changes because he actually needs the right kinds of talents for his system to work. I'm way too sure of this.

It shouldn't come as a surprise if he even bins some higher profile names next summer (but it probably will). I still can't wrap my head around people being shocked that he might not want a player like AWB. This is total football. No compensating for passengers, not even a little bit. everyone must have ability with the ball.
You are speaking sense, the two concerning things though in what you do say "next summer"....there are going tobe 7-12outs probably this summer, but rather than the club and manager making wholesalechanges that is players wanting to leave. Think with his confidence in himself and anlaysiing things, Ten Hag is wanting to see what he will do with a lot of these players, so his first season WILL be with a lot of the current group of players....and personally too many are simply not intelligent or good enough players ability or mentally wise to adapt....so it will be tough for him. And I think this transfer window we maybe see 4 players come in ewhich is not enough. I think next season will be difficult for Ten Hag and managers dont really get time from fans, directors and the fans.....small progress may put pressure on him.

The other is concerns over a poject and total football, should be an adaption to the club, cocern he tries to turn us into Ajax

I think next summer may be the big one in the transfer window with 7/8 leaving and 4/5 coming in which is smaller numbers but bigger ation than this from the manager

Idxomer

Not only he will almost be 38, but there's also a World Cup in November which is gonna be Ronaldo's last one. He won't even be pressing for 20 minutes never mind 80 minutes.

I won't be surprised to see him trying to leave a week or 2 before the end of the transfer window like he did with Juve.

sglowrider

Not only he will almost be 38, but there's also a World Cup in November which is gonna be Ronaldo's last one. He won't even be pressing for 20 minutes never mind 80 minutes.
I won't be surprised to see him trying to leave a week or 2 before the end of the transfer window like he did with Juve.
Didnt think about that. But how many Woodward minded CEOs (ie Glacticos) can there be out there?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
McFred combination will earn him a sack. He should disturb the board to get him two brand new CMs that are press resistant and technically gifted.
I think it's highly unlikely we'll start the season with McFred, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Grande

Leaving on free transfer
Pogba
Mata
Lee grant
Lingard
Cavani
Matic

Jones or Bailly
AWB or Dalot
Dean Henderson

Exactly. 6 players are already going. Which means that if 2-3 more are sold/loaned out (not counting youth players loaned for development), it will be quite an exodus. Now, Rangnink hasn’t been the only one to claim our squad was too large, even bloated, and that is even pointed out as an important part of what has driven internal conflicts, so I’m quite sure if 8-9 players leave, only 3-4 will come in. There’s at least one reserve GK in there.

Gist of this is that anybody expecting 5 or more signings, will almost certainly be wrong, and rightly so. Which also means, that 7 or 8 of the current starters will have to be a central part of Ten Hag’s project the coming season, and about 20 of the players currently in the squad will have to make up our squad under Ten Hag. Which means that Ten Hag is going to have to get behind them and work with them, not against them. And it actually means, if we’re going to get behind Ten Hag making some change at the club this next season, we’re going to have to be able to get behind about 20 of the players currently at the club, and yes, being a part of the clusterpheck that is this season. Getting into a wholesale damnation process, regardless of our feelings, will only make us part of the hindrance of change.