Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 333 42.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 451 57.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Stadjer

Still think the weak link Bruno in posession.
But I have ro say, 5 new first team players in one summer is top work.
He might be. Bruno will get a rest some day and we might see a Casemiro, Fred and Eriksen as a midfield some day. Im interested to see that

sugar_kane

Briefs from the club like this confirm to me that 1.Murtough & Arnold are snide little bellends who are completely out of their depth 2. They’ve learnt nothing from the pat nine years

Evetyone knows that the reason United’s squad is a complete mess and the reason we’ve wasted so much money is because they let each manager dictate recruitment strategy, with zero over-arching vision.

A director of football was meant to resolve this, we now have one but he’s too spineless / incompetent to work with our new manager properly and thinks he can distance himself from this summers transfer window in the hope that:
  • He doesn’t get blamed if it goes wrong
  • No-one questions why he’s not doing his job properly (so far, so good thanks to his cosy relationship with the UK press)
  • He looks like a great boss for backing the new manager rather than a shit, weak boss who has no control over his direct reports - at the very first time of asking
What is infuriating is that no one in the press has called out the new hierarchy on this, reporting with a straight face about these being Ten Hag’s targets and not even mentioning Murtough or Arnold by name.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So that's ten Hag's first summer of incoming signings now over. Not a bad window in the end. Around £225M spent.

Tyrell Malacia
Christian Eriksen
Lisandro Martinez
Casemiro
Antony
Martin Dubravka

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Briefs from the club like this confirm to me that 1.Murtough & Arnold are snide little bellends who are completely out of their depth 2. They’ve learnt nothing from the pat nine years

Evetyone knows that the reason United’s squad is a complete mess and the reason we’ve wasted so much money is because they let each manager dictate recruitment strategy, with zero over-arching vision.

A director of football was meant to resolve this, we now have one but he’s too spineless / incompetent to work with our new manager properly and thinks he can distance himself from this summers transfer window in the hope that:
  • He doesn’t get blamed if it goes wrong
  • No-one questions why he’s not doing his job properly (so far, so good thanks to his cosy relationship with the UK press)
  • He looks like a great boss for backing the new manager rather than a shit, weak boss who has no control over his direct reports - at the very first time of asking
What is infuriating is that no one in the press has called out the new hierarchy on this, reporting with a straight face about these being Ten Hag’s targets and not even mentioning Murtough or Arnold by name.
Wow

JanK

Supports
Napoli
De Gea

Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

Casemiro
Fred/Eriksen
Bruno

Antony
Sancho
Martial

This is what I expect our first XI to be this season. GK, RB, CM and CF need upgrades, but if we stay clear of injuries we might get top 4.
Expecting Dubravka for De Gea as he is suited more to possession football and has important advantages over him. Less Hollywood saves, more calmness, better passing range and higher accuracy, also more brave to come out for high balls.

Would like to see VDB rotating with Bruno and Eriksen, depending on the opposition and form.

Zen86

We were always doomed to overpay this summer, that's the cost of being in perpetual crisis. Everybody knows we're desperate to buy when you look back at the last 12 months.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We were always doomed to overpay this summer, that's the cost of being in perpetual crisis. Everybody knows we're desperate to buy when you look back at the last 12 months.
If/when we get UCL - Expect next summer to be even better.

Head Scouts hired so the recruiting process is more streamlined
A more collaborative targets approach
UCL will help attract players more
We will look better as a team
Become a much more attractive prospect over all

Zen86

Yep. It's been a turbulent year with internal staff comings and goings, including chief scouts. We quite clearly had nothing resembling a roadmap or strategic direction for the team this summer, be it from the manager or the club, something which should be resolved next year.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Clubs knew to fleece us as we had no alternative. Lets see if we manage to get more competent at scouting and negotiating

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
When you spend over 200m in a window, you’re going to have to win at least one cup out of FA/Europa/League and at least challenge for 4th place till the last 2-3 games of the season.
Anything else is a failure on EtH.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When you spend over 200m in a window, you’re going to have to win at least one cup out of FA/Europa/League and at least challenge for 4th place till the last 2-3 games of the season.
Not really. The base is lower with ten hag and clubs around him have also spent

evil_geko

No you don't, this is long term rebuild and learning whole new style from scratch, anyone expecting all that only based on money spent is not thinking clearly. If anything, by bringing so many new players in one window, one would expect longer time for them to click together compared to adding one or two players to already well-coordinated team.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Not really. The base is lower with ten hag and clubs around him have also spent
The common consensus here is that last year talentwise the team was 5/6th most talented in the PL.
Despite the issues in the 2-3 couple of years, Ole/RR got this team to semis/finals and at least challenged for 4th up to the last few games.
No letting EtH off the hook.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
No you don't, this is long term rebuild and learning whole new style from scratch, anyone expecting all that only based on money spent is not thinking clearly. If anything, by bringing so many new players in one window, one would expect longer time for them to click together compared to adding one or two players to already well-coordinated team.
The common consensus here is that last year talentwise the team was 5/6th most talented in the PL.
Despite the issues in the 2-3 couple of years, Ole/RR got this team to semis/finals and at least challenged for 4th up to the last few games.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
ETH definitely can't accuse the management of not backing him -- getting his key target players regardless of market value. And allowing the FDJ saga to drag on for 3+ months.

I bet he never got this sort of support whilst at Ajax.

I also don't remember any manager post-Fergie getting as much support as they have for ETH. It must have been one hell of a contract that he signed with Arnold.

Fluctuation0161

Rubbish.

It depends where you are starting from. ETH inherited a squad of problems, mismatched players and mentality issues. If he doesn't win a cup but makes progress for next season then that is acceptable.

Fluctuation0161

This.

NewYorkRed

Expecting Dubravka for De Gea as he is suited more to possession football and has important advantages over him. Less Hollywood saves, more calmness, better passing range and higher accuracy, also more brave to come out for high balls.

Would like to see VDB rotating with Bruno and Eriksen, depending on the opposition and form.
If Dubravka starts regularly over Dave I will venmo you $500.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thats a bit of a silly approach, given ten hag didnt buy these player and a lot dont suit his style, such as Shaw, Maguire, AWB and Ronaldo

allen7

Partly agree and a cup win is impossible without a proper CF. I believe we will scrap through 4th place or even 3rd.

The expectation from fanbase is its a long term rebuild and results are expected after couple of windows.

sglowrider

Yes, but we are changing our footballing philosophy. So there will be players who will not be able to meet ETH's requirements. It will not be rejigged to his approach within one transfer window.

This window is foundational. The next window will be to add the final pieces. And the following will be to add depth.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not really. Despite the spend the squad is still behind the top 5. Chelsea, Spurs and even West Ham have all spent £150m+. We've bought a £50m player more and lost a lot of quality for nothing.

Lynty

If we're being realistic, it's been a good transfer window.

Not quite sure why such a straight forward transfer as Antony took until the last week of the window. Can only point to funds earmarked for FDJ finally being free'd for other signings.

I expected 3 first team signings and 1 prospect. Which is pretty much what we got with the bonus of Eriksen on a free and a suprise Dubravka.

Witchking

ETH definitely can't accuse the management of not backing him -- getting his key target players regardless of market value. And allowing the FDJ saga to drag on for 3+ months.

I also don't remember any manager post-Fergie getting as much support as they have for ETH. It must have been one hell of a contract that he signed with Arnold.
He can and he should. United management derailed him early on. None of the players he wanted had decent pre seasons. It was only after the first two loses that United understood the mess they are in and went for Casemiro and Antony.

This season should be counted as a write off if we are nowhere near 4th as 2 games a week along with the world cup and having Ronaldo throw a hissy fit is not something a manager should be looking forward to tacking.

Jev

He can and he should. United management derailed him early on. None of the players he wanted had decent pre seasons. It was only after the first two loses that United understood the mess they are in and went for Casemiro and Antony.

This season should be counted as a write off if we are nowhere near 4th as 2 games a week along with the world cup and having Ronaldo throw a hissy fit is not something a manager should be looking forward to tacking.
Wow, getting your excuses in early. We've spent north of 200 million and prioritized ETH's target, even when better or equally good options were available at lower prices. He has been backed alright. I'm not saying he must finish fourth but he can't complain too much in that regard. And certainly has no excuse to call the season a write-off.

Stinkypete

You are looking at it as if the 1st to 4th/5th level teams haven't invested, had a years more time to develop consistently under one coach since then.

Revaulx

Let’s hope so!

I’m not entirely certain Murtough is the one to sort out the scouting and recruitment. I’m counting on Arnold to have the balls to bin him if he isn’t up to it.

What we really need is a run of good results and positive press to give the Glazers the belief that getting rid of their beloved Ed Woodward was the correct decision, and the confidence that the changes Arnold has brought about are going to be in their interest as much as the fans’.

Revaulx

That’s because Arnold wants decisions to be made by football people, and unlike Woodward isn’t taking calls from agents and selling clubs sweet taking him into buying their wares.

crossy1686

career ending
Real Madrid signing Tchouameni for €80m (potentially €100m with add-ons) at the start of the window didn't help either, that really set the tone. As you said, we were desperate for players, desperate to back the new manager and desperate for quality after the start to the season we had.

I'm not surprised we got rinsed but it seems like we've got decent players from a position of relative weakness. Hopefully we do well this season and that will make next summer's recruitment less expensive and easier.

Revaulx

Wow, getting your excuses in early. We've spent north of 200 million and prioritized ETH's target, even when better or equally good options were available at lower prices. He has been backed alright. I'm not saying he must finish fourth but he can't complain too much in that regard. And certainly has no excuse to call the season a write-off.
Gosh that’s a confident assertion!

Once their agents and selling clubs knew United were interested, the “lower” prices would inevitably have gone up in any case.

Witchking

What i am saying is, we have changed enough managers to know that there is an issue with the players mentality and ability. EtH will need this season to analyze and plan. He has already started with dropping players like Shaw, Maguire, Ronaldo and brought in adequate replacements for McTominay and Fred. The problem is, the players he brought, should have been with him from the start of the season and not after 2 losses.

Casemiro will take time, Antony will take time, then there's the world cup, we do not have a proper plan yet as to how we need to play. So you cannot say he has been backed when we had only Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez at the start of the season.
They were forced to back him after 2 losses which puts us with a worse chance of finishing in the top 4 considering Spurs, Arsenal, City and Liverpool all got their players in.
This is a cut throat league. We needed to be on top of our game.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
If Dubravka starts regularly over Dave I will venmo you $500.
Thanks! I will send you the bank details soon.
I know you are a man who keeps his word, so not worried that you'll go missing when it's time to transfer. :)

NewYorkRed

Thanks! I will send you the bank details soon.
I know you are a man who keeps his word, so not worried that you'll go missing when it's time to transfer. :)
Don’t need bank details for Venmo bruv, just your handle. But yeah, there is no chance at all that Dave is dethroned by…Dubravka.

sglowrider

That’s because Arnold wants decisions to be made by football people, and unlike Woodward isn’t taking calls from agents and selling clubs sweet taking him into buying their wares.
Agree. Woodward wanted to have total control of the club. The main decision maker regardless of his knowledge base.
Arnold is willing to delegate. A more confident person.

Zen86

Real Madrid signing Tchouameni for €80m (potentially €100m with add-ons) at the start of the window didn't help either, that really set the tone. As you said, we were desperate for players, desperate to back the new manager and desperate for quality after the start to the season we had.

I'm not surprised we got rinsed but it seems like we've got decent players from a position of relative weakness. Hopefully we do well this season and that will make next summer's recruitment less expensive and easier.
It could certainly have been worse. It's been quite a slick summer when you look at the end result; Eriksen, Malacia, Casemiro, Martinez, Antony. Not a bad set of signings as it stands right now. Obviously the manner of it was quite regrettable though. It's a shame we couldn't get a few of these deals done earlier and spent a good chunk of the summer like a deer caught in the headlights chasing FdJ, Arnautovic, god knows who else.

Onwards and upwards.

Green Yellow Red

Erik Ten Hag didn't wait more than two matches to drop the "big name" players. That ruthlessness and decisiveness has been sorely missing since Sir Alex Ferguson retired. Don't think it'll be long until Maguire and Ronaldo are out of the club. He has total belief in himself and it showed on the pitch in the last couple of games and his players have belief now too. I think I speak for many man United fans when I say IN ERIK TEN HAG WE TRUST