Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 575 54.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

the_cliff

Anyone that can't see the improvement in our overall play.

Football is not your sport...

Another excellent performance. If Antony and Rashford score those chances, we'd be talking about how that might have been the most comfortable victory at Stamford Bridge post Abramovic.

cyberman

Kind of weird how people forget we are still so early into Ten Hag ball. The attack will come good, if they went on a massive goal scoring run during these matches then we’re somehow one of the best teams in Europe in the space of 10 games

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
That's generous of you. :lol:
It wasn't meant to sound as negative as it did. Quite the opposite.

I meant I am still fully on board the Ten Hag train and not one of those people on here that is eager to jump on any bad result/poor sub etc to question Ten Hag.

MUFC OK

So you're a bit of a Jose fan then? Should have guessed with your truly miserable posts in here. Probably fancied a bit of Conte to take us over too :lol: grim.
not particularly. If we’re not first I want us to finish 2nd.. etc.

Conversely, if you’re someone who proudly states we had greater possession or xG in a match then I’d surmise you’ve never played football. In terms of conte, I’d rather be where spurs are in the table than us currently.

mav_9me

Anyone that can't see the improvement in our overall play.

Football is not your sport...

Another excellent performance. If Antony and Rashford score those chances, we'd be talking about how that might have been the most comfortable victory at Stamford Bridge post Abramovic.
That's a good point in that even under Fergie we were never comfortable at Stamford Bridge. In the later yrs he became more and more cagey in the away games

Rauður Djöfull

Seriously hope the club backs him in January and finds money somewhere, would be great to win the remaining three games before the WC

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We started out leaking goals he corrected it.
We weren't able to counter press he corrected it then we began to exploit the half spaces left by the opposition in transition.
We weren't able to control games, he corrected it by coaching almost every player in the squad how to pass and keep possession in tight spaces.
We aren't scoring enough goals hell i back this man to correct it.

the_cliff

That's a good point in that even under Fergie we were never comfortable at Stamford Bridge. In the later yrs he became more and more cagey in the away games
We've had many victories at Stamford Bridge but I don't remember us ever being that comfortable. Obviously the old Chelsea team was much better than this but barring the stupid penalty they didn't even threaten us, I mean I don't remember DDG having to make a save the whole game.

We've had the toughest fixtures out of all the top 6 and we have 6 very winnable games on the trot, for all those people complaining about league position, If we win just 5 of the next 6 games (which imo is very doable) the table will look completely different, especially considering all the other top 6 teams have to play another top 6 team at least twice in that period.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
you might want to go back and check his record v the top 6.. we never got embarrassed under LVG by any top 6 side
Yes we did. Remember the game vs Arsenal? We got countered like crazy. It waa nearly a cricket score.

AshRK

No I thought we’d be comfortably in top 4, especially as most of the same squad with a few top additions finished there in 2 of the previous 3 seasons.

I can’t get excited for 4th but that’s just me.
But that's just unrealistic expectation to have us comfortably in top 4 especially after the mess we were last year. We are literally playing without any striker. He has just been managing us for 4 months now. There will be highs and lows and whether you want to admit it or not we are behind others in development stage. And who knows come Jan/feb we may he comfortably in top 4

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No I thought we’d be comfortably in top 4, especially as most of the same squad with a few top additions finished there in 2 of the previous 3 seasons.

I can’t get excited for 4th but that’s just me.
Content is the word I would use :)

NLunited

Not wrong though am I? Squad has been massively underperforming. I won’t sit and applaud 4th this season (if we get it).
Oh but you are wrong. We are over-performing, winning against Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham is under performing? With a new manager? We also bossed Chelsea in the first half.

We have been woeful since Mourinho except for one good spell under Solskjaer.

Last year was truly miserable.

Stringer

not particularly. If we’re not first I want us to finish 2nd.. etc.

Conversely, if you’re someone who proudly states we had greater possession or xG in a match then I’d surmise you’ve never played football. In terms of conte, I’d rather be where spurs are in the table than us currently.
Given your inability to see the improvement United have made under EtH, I'd surmise that you don't watch the games.

redNATION

Give him a quality striker, another midfielder, and a new GK and I genuinely think he’ll get us a title.

Unlike our previous managers, he’s not afraid of making big calls (Maguire, Ronaldo, and I expect Sancho soon), and he knows exactly how he wants to play and the type of players he needs to implement it. The club absolutely needs to back him in the next couple of windows.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s weird how few of our players, especially our attack minded, seem to be in a real period of form right now and look to be set for a great season, or a season that retrospectively may be seen as them at their peak.

Bruno, Eriksen, Rashford and Sancho are all a long way short of their best seasons. Martial is crocked. Ronaldo looks in permanent decline. It is impossible to judge Antony and Malacia with them playing in a top league for the first time. Shaw’s had a slow start, but is coming good.

It does still feel as if ETH’s building a side and trying to imprint a style of play with so few of our players in real form, and actually improving and flourishing as an individual under him.

Defensively, we have a few good performers. In fairness to DDG, he’s really stepping up and is doing some of what we have demanded of him for years. Martinez has come really good. Dalot’s established himself as PL player for the first time. Going forward, we’re really yet to see players flourish this season so far.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Squad is still 50% his and 50% the previous managers'. Next season is where expectation will start piling up.

Dion

It was clear Hag didn’t think Rangnick was going to be helpful. So far Hag has made the right calls in recruitment and changing discipline and the culture.
He's made good calls, could those calls have been better? With a better use of club funds? It's definitely possible, we might even have started the season with a striker who is fit most of the time.

MUFC OK

Given your inability to see the improvement United have made under EtH, I'd surmise that you don't watch the games.
I’ve watched every game this season. I see improvement but far from delighted with where we are currently. To win matches you have to score goals and I think that will be an issue for us all season.

MUFC OK

Oh but you are wrong. We are over-performing, winning against Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham is under performing? With a new manager? We also bossed Chelsea in the first half.

We have been woeful since Mourinho except for one good spell under Solskjaer.

Last year was truly miserable.
Underperforming last season I meant - before which we were in the top 4 2 seasons running and building. So far this season we’ve neither underperformed nor over performed in my opinion. I don’t know what I’m going to get when I attend/tune in to a United game - no matter the opposition.

MUFC OK

Give him a quality striker, another midfielder, and a new GK and I genuinely think he’ll get us a title.

Unlike our previous managers, he’s not afraid of making big calls (Maguire, Ronaldo, and I expect Sancho soon), and he knows exactly how he wants to play and the type of players he needs to implement it. The club absolutely needs to back him in the next couple of windows.
A quality striker who finishes the 1-2 chances we create a game for him? Unless it’s prime Messi who will beat 3 and score then I don’t think that’s the solution. I’ll take a winger who can beat a fullback though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s weird how few of our players, especially our attack minded, seem to be in a real period of form right now and look to be set for a great season, or a season that retrospectively may be seen as them at their peak.

Bruno, Eriksen, Rashford and Sancho are all a long way short of their best seasons. Martial is crocked. Ronaldo looks in permanent decline. It is impossible to judge Antony and Malacia with them playing in a top league for the first time. Shaw’s had a slow start, but is coming good.

It does still feel as if ETH’s building a side and trying to imprint a style of play with so few of our players in real form, and actually improving and flourishing as an individual under him.

Defensively, we have a few good performers. In fairness to DDG, he’s really stepping up and is doing some of what we have demanded of him for years. Martinez has come really good. Dalot’s established himself as PL player for the first time. Going forward, we’re really yet to see players flourish this season so far.
Sorry but this seems so fecking nuts I’m going to need you to clarify your point. Are you actually underwhelmed by some of our squad not being on track for their best season ever after 11 league matches under a new manager, straight after a season where they played so atrociously a lot of our fans would have happily sold all of them? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that comes across?

For the record, Sancho and Ronaldo are the only two first teamers who aren’t playing better this season than last. Literally everyone else has improved. Some by quite a margin.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sorry but this seems so fecking nuts I’m going to need you to clarify your point. Are you actually underwhelmed by some of our squad not being on track for their best season ever after 11 league matches under a new manager, straight after a season where they played so atrociously a lot of our fans would have happily sold all of them? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that comes across?

For the record, Sancho and Ronaldo are the only two first teamers who aren’t playing better this season than last. Literally everyone else has improved. Some by quite a margin.
Like you, I’ve literally no idea what this poster is watching to come out with the nonsense they are. I’ve started to think he’s a WUM.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Fans wanting all of our players sold last summer are morons. We have good players and a strong squad, that has been complemented further by the summer signings. You could re-run last season a hundred times, and you’d have only got a couple of worse outcomes. Appointing Rangnick was a terrible decision in hindsight (and there were a few dissenting voices who were spot on in foresight too).

I’m commenting on how that it feels as if ETH is swimming uphill in trying to build our side due to the form of our attack-minded players. We’re more than a quarter of the way through the season and I couldn’t really suggest that any of Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Eriksen, Martial, Ronaldo and Shaw look like they have started in great form and are set for a great season, relative to their historic performance and peak age etc.

Bruno’s trending to have the least productive season since his Serie A years. I love Rashford, but he’s still way back from his peak under Ole, but is at least headed in the right direction. Sancho is just a husk of what he was in Germany. Eriksen’s been tidy enough, but still a long way short of what he has previously delivered at Spurs and Brentford. Martial can’t stay fit. Ronaldo is done. Shaw’s been indifferent and only really established his place in the side this week.

F-Red

With what he’s working with, ETH is the real deal. Leadership over the last week has been tested by the biggest of the personalities and he’s come out looking strong.

Hopefully we’ll give him further budget in the next two windows, and I’m fairly confident he’ll deliver a trophy within the next 24 months.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our defence looks like the best we've had in the last decade, and arguably close to the best we've had since the 90s.
That's if Varane could stay fit long enough.

Foxbatt

I was being sarcastic clearly. The fact 4th would be celebrated by some is what I have an issue with.

ole had us comfortably in the top 4 twice as you say. Of course last season is all that matters though, despite 90% of the personnel being the same.
Only once we were comfortable in the top 4. The first time it was because Leicester imploded and also lost against us when we got third. When we got second we were more comfortable.

In Rainbows

If he ever beats mourinhos best pts rally for United I’d be hugely impressed.
Our football was crap that season. I believe we created the least chances of the top 6, and gave the most chances to opposition of the top 6. That just shows that de Gea carried us. I've never looked at pts as something to be proud of if it never amounted to a PL title challenge. Because it's not a good indicator for future success as we've seen with Mourinho and Ole. It's not a shock that after that season, Klopp went on to have success despite finishing with less pts than Mourinho that season. The football being played was a better indicator for future success.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doing a very good job. We are starting to see a footballing style come together. Hope we keep improving.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We are taking the game to opposition which is very pleasing to watch, intensity in our game is very good too.

We have to improve in chance creation, clear cut ones. The build up play has improved a lot, so next is final Third passes.

baskinginthesun

The press and intensity is at a much higher level than I've ever seen. It has relieved pressure on our defense which is also doing far better than I've seen in a long time

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We are taking the game to opposition which is very pleasing to watch, intensity in our game is very good too.

We have to improve in chance creation, clear cut ones. The build up play has improved a lot, so next is final Third passes.
Quality of some players and still relatively short time EtH has had to form the team, to make certain things instinctive, are our remaining challenges, I think.

The first problem - quality of certain players, is the real concern. Without top players, no manager can do magic. EtH can improve some players to the extent they can be improved, but their maximum is what it is. And we clearly don't have players as good as we need, in many positions.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's so nice to have a non-reactive manager, one who has a way of playing and you can see the desire to play that way regardless of the opposition.

bosskeano

how anyone can question or criticize how we are playing right now is fuking insane....just looking at our record against the top 6 should tell you all you need to know

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are doing so much better as a team. In fact, we are now playing the best football since Fergie era, thats quite a long long time ago.

Revaulx

That was one of our most miserable seasons post Fergie. I suppose we all have our different tastes though.
It had some enjoyable moments in its first half (away in Moscow with Martial and Lukaku looking surprisingly good together up front); but the 0-0 at home to a mediocre Southampton just after Christmas was far worse than anything under LvG in terms of lack of enterprise and entertainment.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There’s still a lot of moaning buggers in here isn’t they. If people can’t see that we’ve improved a lot then they need to open there eyes. I expected at least 7 points out of our last 3 games but we got 5. We didn’t lose any which is progress, should of won the Newcastle game and we should of beat Chelsea… when’s the last time we went to there place and dominated the game? I can’t remember, don’t even think we did under fergie. Ten Hag has changed our style completed, we look so much better in possession them we’ve ever done. With a top striker we’ll start scoring more goals. I’m happy with how we’re performing at the minute and looking more solid at the back… sometimes luck comes into football and Chelsea was lucky, we’d of got another clean sheet if they didn’t get a stupid penalty… so for all the moaners why don’t you just support the team and manager… the good times are coming back. First time in years I’ve enjoyed our football, dominating 3rd and 4th in the league is impressive.

Lentwood

What are you talking about? The fact we would now see 4th as an amazing season is just tragic.

Nothing to do with the name ‘man Utd’, we were comfortably in the top 4 until last season and that was under ole who supposedly was clueless according to most.

let’s also not forget we signed sancho, Varane,Ronaldo, Casemiro, Anthony, Martinez, eriksen in the last 12 months. This team should be comfortably in top 4.
Literally nobody is saying top four is an "amazing season".

I went back and looked at a couple of your posts and you're talking about a title challenge and comparing us to Arsenal. Hasn't Arteta been at Arsenal for about three seasons now?

ETH has been at United for four months. It doesn't matter how much he's spent, its still going to take time to implement his methods + shape the squad in his image.