Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 563 53.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 481 46.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The one we waited for. I’ve never been so convinced someone is the right man as I am with ten Hag. He is the one. I fecking love this man, what a fecking manager.

Waynne

I don't disagree with this from Neville, last season you had Ronaldo throwing tantrums, Rashford sulking, Bruno screaming and arguing with our own players. These were all common images under Ole and Ralf. I think people have forgotten just how awful it was.

Fair enough but Ronaldo, Pogba and Lingard have been shipped out and those issues were last season. I don't see how you can still label the current team whiners.

Dean Henderson too.
Ah yes. fogot about him as well.

mu4c_20le

Adds nothing to the discussion
Are we just going to forget about PRashford now that he's good again?

mav_9me

The team he inherited was the result of those rebuilds. I'd say he's continuing that and got very lucky when the Casemiro situation. Any of our post SAF managers would've killed for someone like him.
So let me ask you if Ole or any of the other managers had this squad, we would be doing equally well?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm glad he wanted to win any trophy. Most managers usually play it safe in their first year and that means they'd be prioritizing what the owners want, in our case CL football aka top 4 in order to secure their job. They'd play weak teams in cups to rest core players. This first step is very important. I'm sure anyone would rather have a little bit of result earlier than a big result later. It's what keeps you believing and going.

L1nk

Tonight is a happy night and I don’t want to reopen old arguments but I hope the last 6 months shows that, with some financial backing, a top level manager does not need years to effect concrete improvements. Erik is admittedly ahead of the schedule most of us envisaged but can we put to bed the myth of the multi-year rebuild which precludes any judgement of progress before some indeterminate time in the future?
The whole 3 year rebuild thing has always been a myth people kept repeating to themselves because they are fanboys of certain individuals and not the club. Just look at any other club in world football and you can see evidence pretty quickly of a manager having an impact or not, there are outliers of course like currently Arteta, but otherwise even if they don’t win trophies straight away, you can see something happening

In Rainbows

I think if Mourinho had this squad we'd still be in the champions league.
:lol:

We looked like crap under Mourinho, relying on individual talent. By that, I mean that movement of the players was dire, with a lot of useless passing around with no idea how to create team goals. Not surprised that our 2nd place finish had United with the most chances conceded of the big 6, and also the least amount of chances created by a big 6 side. United were clinical, and heavily relied on DDG (the one position that doesn't need much instruction from Mourinho).

Hence why season 3's results happened.

edit: The stats from the original post are from whoscored. If you want a more accurate model, look at xG vs xGA found on football reference, where United are expected to have the worst goal difference of the big 6 for that season.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He had a 40 year old Matic that's why
Even if he was 20 years old it wouldn't have mattered. The game has moved on from Mourinho's style of managing where the players would run themselves through the wall for the manager. Imagine asking all the talented young players in our squad to just track back and camp inside your own box.

And the sheer negativity he brings on the table. Give him any squad but modern football doesn't work like that anymore. Only clubs where they haven't seen any silverware for a millennium might buy into his ideas. Spurs still remain an exception though.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
:lol:

We looked like crap under Mourinho, relying on individual talent. By that, I mean that movement of the players was dire, with a lot of useless passing around with no idea how to create team goals. Not surprised that our 2nd place finish had United with the most chances conceded of the big 6, and also the least amount of chances created by a big 6 side. United were clinical, and heavily relied on DDG (the one position that doesn't need much instruction from Mourinho).

Hence why season 3's results happened.
Exactly

jem

I was so jealous seeing Liverpool develop under Klopp (less so with City and Guardiola as there's always been the chequebook element there.) I know feel we have a manager of similar stature, and it feels amazing.

R'hllor

First JM was right thread and now he would do something with this squad, damn sycophants of that cnut still going strong after all these years.

slored1

Hats off to Erik. An A++++ season and appoitment. Already the second best manager in the league IMO. An absolute genius.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
ETH has show klopp right up. Klopps moaning about his fixture schedule, that’s why they didn’t beat Madrid apparently. We’ve just beat Barcelona and Newcastle in the same time frame.

Strelok

Pep is still ahead. Not for long though :keano:
In term of trophies yes. But not in term of ability imo. Just look at the mess last season or the start of this season then compare their first year at United and City and you'd see I think. What ETH has done here in 6 months is simply a bloody miracle mate. Don't think we could say the same about Pep.

Lam

The difference between Mourinho/LVG and ETH is that former two brought in personalities who were self obsessed. Think of Pogba, Zlatan, Schweinsteiger, Ronaldo, etc. These players were not really helping pull the team together and rather created more issues.

ETH has built a team with players who are big personalities as well as Captain material. Those who will drag the team through and will not do anything stupid to put themselves ahead of the team. In the current squad at least 5-6 of them can be captains (Bruno, Casemiro, Licha, Varane, Eriksen and DDG).

Then there are the other players whom he has made look really good - Dalot, Shaw, Rashford, Fred, AWB, etc. The difference between these players earlier and now is that they are all firing together as opposed to hitting form at random times. This shows ETH’s influence. These are players who are clearly being ‘managed’ and ‘coached’ by ETH.

Reminds me of how SAF had built his teams. A bunch of top captain material players and the remaining who are good and execute to perfection.

The squad looks amazing now without:

Sancho not hitting peak form he has shown earlier. I believe ETH will also get the best out of Antony.

Martial and Eriksen not being available. Not having to use Maguire, Lindelof and Malacia who are all decent players. Garnacho is just starting out with a couple of other prospects as well.

I also like the fact that he’s an optimist (similar to Ole) but at the same time puts discipline and work ethics first (similar to Mou). Clearly has a vision and philosophy of how to build the team and play football (like LVG). He seems to have the best qualities of the previous managers!