Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 666 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 816 55.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a head coach with a clear and defined way of playing attacking football. He's obviously making compromises in certain areas of the pitch hence Newcastle had 62% off the ball. But he's also implemented his ideas on the team which are evident. And once the jigsaw comes together, I think we'll see a very dominant team from back to front and teams like Newcastle will struggle to lay a glove on us.

Robbie Boy

He's a head coach with a clear and defined way of playing attacking football. He's obviously making compromises in certain areas of the pitch hence Newcastle had 62% off the ball. But he's also implemented his ideas on the team which are evident. And once the jigsaw comes together, I think we'll see a very dominant team from back to front and teams like Newcastle will struggle to lay a glove on us.
Totally agree with this assessment!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tonight is a happy night and I don’t want to reopen old arguments but I hope the last 6 months shows that, with some financial backing, a top level manager does not need years to effect concrete improvements. Erik is admittedly ahead of the schedule most of us envisaged but can we put to bed the myth of the multi-year rebuild which precludes any judgement of progress before some indeterminate time in the future?
I mean, yes and no. Surely what’s happening at Arsenal is a good counter-argument to what you’re saying?

Tony247

The team he inherited was the result of those rebuilds. I'd say he's continuing that and got very lucky when the Casemiro situation. Any of our post SAF managers would've killed for someone like him.
Yes Casemiro is important and he brought missing assurance in defensive third. Credit of bringing him surely goes to ETH. But that just one part of story. Players have improved leaps and bounds under ETH. Playing style is now consistently progressive.

I mean a die hard united fan just have to listen to its heartbeats during the match to know what ETH has done in just few months.

Tony247

Absolutely. Summer transfer is critical to improve the momentum. Never digress now.

romufc

The amount of humility it takes from a manager to go to a final and concede possession, considering his play style is actually to dominate the ball and be dynamic, shows what a manager we have.

He knows with the amount of games we have, we just need to get through this period of games with results, we wont play well every game.

What a manager.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Bit rich of the gooners playing the celebration police as they goes a bit OTT celebrating every league win and getting sensitive when people say similar.
Pretty much Piers Morgan in a nutshell, can give but can't take.

georgipep

What an incredible week.

Last Sunday morning I was thinking this is going to be pivotal - important game in the PL, massive tie in the Europa and a Cup Final to finish it off.

To win all 3 games and to only concede 1 goal (and a penalty at that) just shows how far this team has come under EtH. I’m actually astonished at how good this manager is.
It has been an incredible journey so far.

Who would've thought back in January that in Feb, out of all the games, we would only drop points against Leeds, at home, while eliminating Barcelona and winning a trophy...

In Erik We Trust!

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
This is what it’s like to have an elite level manager who understands the size and level of the job.

In the future we shouldn’t be hiring managers other than those who have been successful at giant clubs.

I’m talking about :

Barcelona
Madrid
Bayern
Ajax
Juventus

But even then I’d say ETH really is a proper manager, he’s not yet in the conversation with Klopp and Pep but he’s way along the way and ahead of schedule.

Loon

:lol:
All the years we wasted BIG money on players like Pogba, Zlatan, Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Ronaldo. Imagine all that funding behind this manager.
I wonder how many of those players (and I also disagree about Zlatan) might have performed differently under Ten Hag?

Gupz

This is what it’s like to have an elite level manager who understands the size and level of the job.

In the future we shouldn’t be hiring managers other than those who have been successful at giant clubs.

I’m talking about :

Barcelona
Madrid
Bayern
Ajax
Juventus

But even then I’d say ETH really is a proper manager, he’s not yet in the conversation with Klopp and Pep but he’s way along the way and ahead of schedule.
LVG was successful with Barcelona, Bayern and Ajax.

The team he inherited was the result of those rebuilds. I'd say he's continuing that and got very lucky when the Casemiro situation. Any of our post SAF managers would've killed for someone like him.
But not all of them would have known how to use him. He'd be wasted in Ole's counter attacking setup.

Loon

:lol:

I’m talking about :

Barcelona
Madrid
Bayern
Ajax
Juventus
Aberdeen.

Fixed it.

Honestly , there is no formula. That is Woodward thinking.

Ten Hag was my choice, but his success is far from a fait accompli. Even Van Gaal won a trophy.

It will be a few years before we learn if Ten Hag is the manager we hope he will be.

zenith

I love the fact that he does not seem obsessively tied to one style of play or a dedicated philosophy of sorts. He can adapt, much like the great man SAF could.

We can play a pressing game and dominate, we can counter attack, we take absolutely physically dominate the opposition, score from set pieces, play wide with inverted full back, play narrow and through the middle.

Is all just such a treat to watch

MoskvaRed

I mean, yes and no. Surely what’s happening at Arsenal is a good counter-argument to what you’re saying?
Possibly but it is Arteta’s first job in management and there must be an element of learning on the job. For an experienced coach (which includes all our post-Fergie managers), I think it is reasonable to expect faster, more measurable progress when backed by United’s spending power.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The amount of humility it takes from a manager to go to a final and concede possession, considering his play style is actually to dominate the ball and be dynamic, shows what a manager we have.

He knows with the amount of games we have, we just need to get through this period of games with results, we wont play well every game.

What a manager.
You're spot on and I must add my thoughts to this very good point you've brought up.

Before we appointed ten Hag, there was much debate surrounding who we should appoint as the head coach, with some wanting Pochettino and some Conte. And one of the criticisms that was labelled at ten Hag was that he was a ideologue and wouldn't adapt to a team that had hit rock bottom. Not only has he adapted, but he's also got the best out of the players at his disposal whilst maintaining a high win rate.

He's doing remarkably well and he's shown a level of squad management along with coaching that has propelled a group of players that had hit rock bottom. I'd given up on Rashford, but ten Hag comes in and revives him where he's now a key cog in our team and playing brilliantly. I can't speak highly enough of ten Hag and I just hope we get new owners in, who back ten Hag and the football department. And then I honestly believe we will genuinely compete for the top honours.

romufc

You're spot on and I must add my thoughts to this very good point you've brought up.

Before we appointed ten Hag, there was much debate surrounding who we should appoint as the head coach, with some wanting Pochettino and some Conte. And one of the criticisms that was labelled at ten Hag was that he was a ideologue and wouldn't adapt to a team that had hit rock bottom. Not only has he adapted, but he's also got the best out of the players at his disposal whilst maintaining a high win rate.

He's doing remarkably well and he's shown a level of squad management along with coaching that has propelled a group of players that had hit rock bottom. I'd given up on Rashford, but ten Hag comes in and revives him where he's now a key cog in our team and playing brilliantly. I can't speak highly enough of ten Hag and I just hope we get new owners in, who back ten Hag and the football department. And then I honestly believe we will genuinely compete for the top honours.
Exactly. That has really surprised me about Ten Hag. I always thought he would be a bit more like Pep, so the first season with the players we have, we will make alot of mistakes playing out the back and trying to play this possession style.

He realised very early, he can't do that, he needs to have a blend of his ideology and what these players can do.

What is the point of having Rashford, Bruno and the like and not using them? He found a way in which he can implement his ideas whilst winning.

I had to pinch myself yesterday, he is doing a fantastic job at the club.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
One can't help but chuckle at the memory of the dozens of people on this forum saying that Manchester United could not possibly score goals without Cristiano Ronaldo, despite the fact that United scored 120 goals in the season before he came and only 70 goals in his first season back at the club when everyone was going gaga over him scoring 18 PL goals and 'carrying' the shower of shite that was supposedly Manchester United Football Club. Some brave souls pointed to the drop in team goals and tried to make the case that guys like Bruno and Rashford could score and did the season before. Those people were hunted down by mobs with torches and pitchforks and summarily lynched for their crimes against humanity.

One also chuckles at the memory of the extreme backlash on here against 'arrogant' ETH daring to bench the guy that was 'carrying' the club. Again, those of us who gently suggested that it is a bad idea to build around a 38 year old egomaniac were banished from civilised society, condemned to roam the deserts as maligned madmen.

To be fair, that was an idiotic narrative that was pushed on TV and radio as much as it was on forums, due to the extreme cult of personality that Ronaldo engenders. Oh if only those receipts had been kept.....

Olecurls99

Like yesterday :drool:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
One can't help but chuckle at the memory of the dozens of people on this forum saying that Manchester United could not possibly score goals without Cristiano Ronaldo, despite the fact that United scored 120 goals in the season before he came and only 70 goals in his first season back at the club when everyone was going gaga over him scoring 18 PL goals and 'carrying' the shower of shite that was supposedly Manchester United Football Club. Some brave souls pointed to the drop in team goals and tried to make the case that guys like Bruno and Rashford could score and did the season before. Those people were hunted down by mobs with torches and pitchforks and summarily lynched for their crimes against humanity.

One also chuckles at the memory of the extreme backlash on here against 'arrogant' ETH daring to bench the guy that was 'carrying' the club. Again, those of us who gently suggested that it is a bad idea to build around a 38 year old egomaniac were banished from civilised society, condemned to roam the deserts as maligned madmen.

To be fair, that was an idiotic narrative that was pushed on TV and radio as much as it was on forums, due to the extreme cult of personality that Ronaldo engenders. Oh if only those receipts had been kept.....
This was being peddled by likes of Rio as well. It was embarrassing how Rio and Keane reacted to Ronaldo situation. ETH has been insanely impressive in dealing with every situation he has faced at United

Yakuza_devils

We are not only winning but we are winning in style now. We can now even dominate Barcelona who are known to be playing possession football. We went toe to toe with City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

What a fantastic job ETH has done considering how we finish last year. This man is truly a magician.

Olecurls99

Not quite, because his ideal team wouldn't have allowed a above average Newcastle team to lay a glove on us, never mind surrender 62% off the ball.
I just can't remember them having a chance. That's my interpretation of not laying a glove.

I accept he'll want us to dominate possession going forward. I think once he changed AWB for Dalot, that was the end of the possession battle and we handled them defensively from that point on. (Bissaka being our MOTM imo btw)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
This was being peddled by likes of Rio as well. It was embarrassing how Rio and Keane reacted to Ronaldo situation. ETH has been insanely impressive in dealing with every situation he has faced at United
Yes indeed. Part of the problem with United is the former players, who can be a toxic presence and influence. Liverpool had a similar issue with some of their legends back in the day. It takes a strong manager to overcome all of that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I just can't remember them having a chance. That's my interpretation of not laying a glove.

I accept he'll want us to dominate possession going forward. I think once he changed AWB for Dalot, that was the end of the possession battle and we handled them defensively from that point on. (Bissaka being our MOTM imo btw)
Changing from Dalot to Wan Bissaka at 2-0 was a good move and it suited Wan Bissaka who is strong at defending against wingers in a 1v1 battle. But going forward we will need more quality on the ball because we could be in a situation where we're chasing a game against a high calibre opponent. So I hope if we do sign a RB, that new prospective RB is better on the ball than both Dalot and Wan Bissaka and is also good defensively.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So after about 6 months of brilliant work by ETH there are some posters like this one still. Calling ETH lucky and using a childish nickname for Rashford who has dome some fantastic job off the pitch for the hungry kids.

I guess there needs to be at least one always.

My suggestion is not to feed the troll any further.

He's either a wum, an opposition fan pretending to be United one or just a general hater or all of the above.
I guarantee you he’s showing the responses to his Scouse buddies and having a laugh. I g n o r e.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yep.. one of the nights he tweeted something like “tune in tonight for another sensational revelation by Ronaldo” which turned out to be him discussing the death of his child. What a pathetic person to use someones grief for clicks and views.

Anyway, he along with Mrs. Rabiot have become United legends! We have come on leaps and bounds since Ronaldo left
Yes- not to derail the thread but PM did Ronnie no favours. Exploitative P***k.

bosskeano

to be fair to Piers .....we'd be saying and have said the same thing about Arteta and other managers who have done similar things after winning the Mickey Mouse Cup but now it's ours so fuk them all!!

the open letter is brilliant and i hope whoever buys the club doesn't fuk up things and leaves EtH in charge for a lot time