Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 533 53.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 472 47.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Irwin99

I'm hoping he can get the team controlling games more when we get the right players back as it's something we really lack at the moment and have done for a while. In my opinion we played our best football when Eriksen and Casemiro were the two in midfield (yes Eriksen is a bit lightweight and there was a lot of complaints about that, but our creativity is far better when he plays). Our best front three is Antony, Rashford and Martial, so i'm hoping they can get more games too.

The worry for me aside from fatigue is that the squad players you expect to come in and do a job just, well, don't do a job at all. Sancho, Mctominay, Lindelof, Wout, Sabitzer (today at any rate), Dalot. Can Martial stay fit for the rest of the season so we don't have to start Weghorst every game? All this is what could potentially feck up our season.

sparx99

I have faith in him still but he's starting to get to me with this Weghorst thing. He's been an utter disaster. We have started to play much much worse since his arrival contrary to what he says about him.
Have we? He’s been part of the team that was being praised 3-4 games ago as being a dark horse for the title. It’s all fallen apart a bit but many of us were worried about the number of games catching up with us.

I’d prefer to see Rashford central and Garnacho on the left but Garnacho isn’t fit.

Martial is barely available. Sancho can’t seem to play well other than 1 game in 10.

Our depth is really hurting us now.

Amsterdam Devil

Give him time just like Arteta got time to rebuild Arsenal. So much is wrong, it was never a case of solving everything in the first season. And also the slow process of selling the club won’t help with uncertainty for everyone working at the club. That being said, Ten Hag is making some mistakes in games, like his stubbornness with Weghorst.

sparx99

True, we also have zero PL goals in our last 3 games. Our attacking play is not good enough.
Yeah, though I think we played well in the draw against Southampton. The red card was a leveller but we probably still deserved the win overall.

sparx99

Give him time just like Arteta got time to rebuild Arsenal. So much is wrong, it was never a case of solving everything in the first season. And also the slow process of selling the club won’t help with uncertainty for everyone working at the club. That being said, Ten Hag is making some mistakes in games, like his stubbornness with Weghorst.
Not sure we had much choice with selection today though. Martial could’ve started I guess but he’s not played for months.

Does anyone trust Sancho?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Have we? He’s been part of the team that was being praised 3-4 games ago as being a dark horse for the title. It’s all fallen apart a bit but many of us were worried about the number of games catching up with us.

I’d prefer to see Rashford central and Garnacho on the left but Garnacho isn’t fit.

Martial is barely available. Sancho can’t seem to play well other than 1 game in 10.

Our depth is really hurting us now.
Rashford was papering over cracks. We have played worse football since Weghorst came in. It's like going into every game with a man down.

He has played every game since he signed and hasn't scored a league goal yet.

We'd have been better playing one of the kids. At least they can run and contribute. I'd fancy my chances of marking Weghorst as he can't move.

Jericholyte2

I have faith in him still but he's starting to get to me with this Weghorst thing. He's been an utter disaster. We have started to play much much worse since his arrival contrary to what he says about him.
So how would you line up without a striker? I’m not saying Weghorst is any good, but what, play an injured Martial? Play Rashford up top when he’s less effective there?

space

Expected today to be honest. No Eriksen or Casemiro. Bruno was left having to collect the ball from the deep. Sabitzer still catching up to the pace of the prem and Scott was pathetic (invisible) as usual. The Cbs were fine. Thought Antony should have stayed on. Wout was awful today, a true 0/10 performance. I'm positive with Martial back we can get through the next two games. With a full-strength team I'm not worried but we must get points now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We are 3pts better off than under Rangnick and we've been whacked 6 and 7 at the home of our two biggest rivals.

ETH is a good coach but he's not immune to criticism. He's starting to get big calls wrong an awful lot and none more so than Weghorst experiment.

I still have faith he will get it right and turn us into a quality team but he's starting to get on my nerves a bit I can't lie. Those subs today too were stupidity. Varane and Martinez were playing well. What was the point?
Wow, i can't believe that you are the same person who defended Ole to the death and called out all critics as no true fans?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wow, i can't believe that you are the same person who defended Ole to the death and called out all critics as no true fans?
There's a lot of hypocrites on this forum. Solskjaer was failing for years and these people were not only quiet but also actively defending him

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So how would you line up without a striker? I’m not saying Weghorst is any good, but what, play an injured Martial? Play Rashford up top when he’s less effective there?
Rashford isn't a world class 9 but he'd be far.more effective than WW.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Rashford on no9 or Martial from the start and sub him around 60th minute.
Or play some kid from youth. As i said before, i am not type of fan "play the kids" but if there are two examples where you should do it then that would be Wout and McT. Two many chances they got and every single time they flopped.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Expected today to be honest. No Eriksen or Casemiro. Bruno was left having to collect the ball from the deep. Sabitzer still catching up to the pace of the prem and Scott was pathetic (invisible) as usual. The Cbs were fine. Thought Antony should have stayed on. Wout was awful today, a true 0/10 performance. I'm positive with Martial back we can get through the next two games. With a full-strength team I'm not worried but we must get points now.
Everything you mention is valid as factors, but nothing that entirely makes it a foregone conclusion that we'd lose at Newcastle. This kind of situation (with a relatively well rested team) is what a top manager should be able to navigate. To not come away from this fixture with at least a draw - or a non-pathetic performance - is shite. I love ETH though he's not infallible and he's learning more and more about his team and not least what it costs you to not sort out some contingency if your midfield is exposed.

Yorke to Cole

This was a poor match and there is absolutely no doubt about that. I felt there no control, the performances have been reactionary and not proactive enough aside from Martinez.

This result makes that Southampton draw even more costly. Losing a player to a straight red, Garnacho getting injured and not beating a side in the relegation zone. The other aspect to this is, is the amount of fixtures that have been played in Cup matches. It has certainly cost our league form. It is not just the quantity, it the fact that defeats and draws in the league have not been put right because we have had to switch our focus on Europa and FA Cup.

It has become intermittent and not allowed us to drill down our consistency. I agree with what a poster said previously, that was a performance from last season under Rangnick. The players and ETH are going to have to get back to focusing on each of our league fixtures because that is really a come down.

It has to start now.

sparx99

Rashford isn't a world class 9 but he'd be far.more effective than WW.
Sure. But today we had no Garnacho. So the choice is Sancho at LW or no10. Move Bruno wide maybe? And play Rashford through the middle.

Has Sancho done more than Weghorst? Do you want to play Elanga?

Don’t forget even Rashford was a doubt for this game as well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I dont want him sacked though. I want to make the point that he's not doing much better than last season under an interim coach despite spending £250m. 3pts better off right now with a worse GD.

Reason being a lot of these players are simply not capable are they?

sparx99

Rashford on no9 or Martial from the start and sub him around 60th minute.
Or play some kid from youth. As i said before, i am not type of fan "play the kids" but if there are two examples where you should do it then that would be Wout and McT. Two many chances they got and every single time they flopped.
Martial is only just back fit. He’s been incredibly unreliable fitness wise so I’m not surprised he only came on as a sub. He also hasn’t scored many goals since his early season purple patch.

Archi

The narrative that we’ve had a great season might need reviewing if we keep up this horrific away form. Simply cannot see us beating Brighton (a), Spurs is 50/50. Can see us falling out of the top 4 and that would be very poor considering we’ve held 3rd for most of the season.
We have Brighton and Spurs away as our toughest games.. Spurs have Newcastle and Liverpool away. Newcastle have Arsenal home, Chelsea away and of course a game against Spurs. We should still make top 4

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I dont want him sacked though. I want to make the point that he's not doing much better than last season under an interim coach despite spending £250m. 3pts better off right now with a worse GD.

Nevertheless, you are criticising a manager. Which is absolutely fine and normal. No player or manager is beyond criticism. Calling for manager's head is just higher level of criticism.
But your narrative during Ole was (i know that you will not admit that); "Support your manager no matter what or you are not true fan".

Just saying. No hard feelings.

mav_9me

For those saying we are only 3 points better off at the same stage, last year at this point we had to still play City, Liverpool, Arsenal away and Tottenham and Chelsea at home.

Amsterdam Devil

Sure. But today we had no Garnacho. So the choice is Sancho at LW or no10. Move Bruno wide maybe? And play Rashford through the middle.

Yes to all your questions. Everything is better than Weghorst at the moment.

Ten Hag saying we played 25 games with Weghorst and lost only twice is true but not because of Weghorst. We won the games despite of Weghorst, not because of Weghorst.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Two things we don't do:
1) play well after international break.
2) Play well away, against good opposition.

Fabio Rochemback

There's no obvious solution available to him, but he needs to get WW out of the team one way or another. If he tries something like Sancho as a false 9 and it doesn't work I won't hold it against him.

Archi

I don't understand people saying we're getting similar points per game as last season. The season doesn't finish after 27 games. We are already on 50 points with 11 games left, whereas last season we finished on 58. We are currently on course to get 70-71 points, that's not similar ppg as last season

Idxomer

Just looked at our last 3 league games and in all, we played worse after his subs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

But why go full wrong and play McT and Wout together? At least put creative player behind Wout. What the hell he expected from Wout/McT combo against tough team as Newcastle? That is attack with which bottom championship side would struggle.

I like ETH. I think that we have bright future under him but in last two away games (Liverpool and Newcastle) he made a complete mess in selection.

Yagami

Good post resistant
My only concern is the next transfer window. If we don't bring in some press resistant players and players who can dribble, we'll be in trouble. Bring them in and improvements will be inevitable.

Fredrik.A

Starting Mct ahead of Fred is a joke. You can say alot about Fred, but he never hides the way Mct does.

Fabio Rochemback

I get that, I do. I usually find it quite silly when people say "play x instead, can't be any worse", but in this instance, yeah, sticking Antony, Pellistri or Sancho up front, can't be any worse. Can't believe I'm saying it but I'd even much rather see Elanga there.

Idxomer

But why go full wrong and play McT and Wout together? At least put creative player behind Wout. What the hell he expected from Wout/McT combo against tough team as Newcastle? That is attack with which bottom championship side would struggle.

I like ETH. I think that we have bright future under him but in last two away games (Liverpool and Newcastle) he made a complete mess in selection.
He has been tinkering a lot since the Weghorst signing which I found fun at the start but it has become increasingly infuriating lately. He keeps moving Bruno all over the place when he isn't the versatile player he thinks and clearly only excels as a no.10 and all that seems to accommodate Weghorst of all people.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Was a 2/10 performance from the coach today, shambles. It doesn't mean we need to worry about him though, it just means he needs to do better in the next games.

sepulturite

Rashford was papering over cracks. We have played worse football since Weghorst came in. It's like going into every game with a man down.

He has played every game since he signed and hasn't scored a league goal yet.

We'd have been better playing one of the kids. At least they can run and contribute. I'd fancy my chances of marking Weghorst as he can't move.
We are absolutely not playing worse than when we had Ronaldo as our striker though that's for sure. I agree Wout isn't the answer, but because of the lack of options he didn't have much choice but to keep playing him. He has started to many games though, I agree there.

Midfield is our issue though, if we had a fit Erikson and Cas then we win that game.

pogbasformerbarber

Second guessing game moves is par for the course with any manager…

…but ETH is quite literally the least of our worries right now…

Waynne

Ten Hag is still new to the league. He's been in the job 8 months and there are still passengers in this team from previous regimes. Cut him some slack.

This unit will take another 2 - 3 years to get to City and Arsenal's level of consistency.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

You can give stats without context and it really does skew reality. Yes, we're only 3 points better off, but overall the football has been much better (with obvious exceptions). We have also won a trophy, are in the semi final of the FA Cup and QF of the Europa league. The progress is clear, those saying otherwise are blinded by their agendas.

Robbie Boy

I think he's great actually. I just can't stand his lickarses who hated Ole
You think he's great? :lol:

You're just a relentless Ole fanatic who offers nothing in the way of discourse. Why was it ok for you and your ilk to lick the arse of Ole? ETH has shown progress, and if you can't see it, maybe football isn't your thing. You're in here getting upset, because eh Ole? Very odd.