Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 638 44.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 788 55.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

pacifictheme

RR is a good manager who could not make an impact at United. No need to give him the nasty.
So good he had only managed for one season in the previous five before he managed us. We got him as a stop gap while waiting for ten hag and I am not sure we could have done a worse job. Carrick would have been a much better option.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Only worry is take over situation which probably will have impact on funds available for transfers.
It's a worry but by the same token,if ETH made the improvements we've seen even with this thin squad and a made successful use of a player as limited as Wout then I think even with limited funds we can push on another bit.

My biggest worry about the lack of funds is that maybe the manager might get them elsewhere.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
WhoScored had him at a 7.11 rating, and he was growing into the game(as someone that hasn't played a lot recently), but yeah let's whip him at 55 mins for a guy who should be playing League 1 football.
Whoscored rating rates both Martial and Weghorst season at around same, 6.56 for Martial and 6.39 for Weghorst. You agree with that too?
Weghorst also had better season than Garnacho.
Bruno had brilliant game vs Bournemouth when we all know he had a shit game.

Also that Bruno, Trippier, March bad better season than Odegaard.
Dalot as our 4th best player with Wan Bissaka 5th.
Antony had better season than Licha
Lindelof had better season than Varane
Sabitzer better than Varane.

If you agree with all of that then we can take these rating seriously.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Judging by his comments yesterday he seems to be a big fan of McTominay. If he stays I think we will get two midfielders. Probably Rabiot and one of Rice/Caicedo. I think we’d be smart to get someone like Tielemans on a free if we can. Good squad option that can play possession football for free.

I think Rice would be the best option aside from Frenkie.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Whoscored rating rates both Martial and Weghorst season at around same, 6.56 for Martial and 6.39 for Weghorst. You agree with that too?

At least someone else than myself is bewildered by Whoscored ratings. They rarely make any sense.:lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
We beat Barcelona when we subbed off Wout. We were losing 1-0 and he was subbed at half time and we won 2-1.
You won’t get a reply on this.

It is fecking obvious that Weghorst is dogshit. He shouldn’t even make the bench, let alone start or be the first sub. But admiring it means doing blasphemy to a part of United fans. ‘The manager cannot do any wrong’.

Conor

I don't believe these ratings are gospel, no, but it at least disproves your "Martial was dog shit" statement, which is just patently untrue, Fox News couldn't come up with a 7/10 rating for something "dog shit". It's ridiculous to take a striker with the potential to get in form off halfway through a match for a player that genuinely is incapable of scoring, he's just alienated Martial for the rest of the season basically, when he could be very useful.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't believe these ratings are gospel, no, but it at least disproves your "Martial was dog shit" statement, which is just patently untrue, Fox News couldn't come up with a 7/10 rating for something "dog shit". It's ridiculous to take a striker with the potential to get in form off halfway through a match for a player that genuinely is incapable of scoring, he's just alienated Martial for the rest of the season basically, when he could be very useful.
Has he?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Casemiero was very good and Eriksen did well. Martial’s link up play was also decent. We just got top 4 having bagged a trophy and all you lot can to is whine like babies. How dare we not go from our worst PL tally to his amazing in one year.
We were as sharp as a chopping board.

Eriksen didn't really do all that much besides the goal assist.

Casemiro scored a good goal but some of his passes just demonstrate we need someone better ahead of him. But that's not his job anyway.

Fernandes couldn't pass a ball to save his life.

Martial's link-up play was good but he just doesn't look dangerous.

Sancho... let's not even go there.

Antony, can't score on a guilt-edged chance that any decent forward would at least force a great save from.

Garnacho is literally our only attacker that looks dangerous in pretty much any situation because he actually wants to attack.

We've done extremely well to get top 4 but this wankfest over this team needs to stop. The signs are there we're playing shite and we're on a hiding to nothing if we bring this form into the FA cup final.

I've had enough of praising average 'achievements' one season when we really look out of gas and if I have to bet, unless we get serious new owners, we're not getting top 4 next year.

b82REZ

Are people actually making a case that Martial wasn't completely useless and ineffective yesterday? Wout isn't the answer but he offered far more than Tony did all game.

Looks like another case of using stats and ratings to form an opinion rather than actually watching the game.

As an aside, it does seem to be prevalent on here that a lot of posters don't actually watch the games; and then form their opinions from highlights, ratings and comments on here.

roonster09

Scout
Looks like you love too much drama. Yeah Martial is going to offer his resignation tomorrow and that's the end of Martial.

Btw how did Bruno play? Flash news he was dog shit too and he has much better rating than Martial.

Also no it doesn't disprove anything, all it shows is how these ratings are pile of shit.

JPRouve

Scout
Are people actually making a case that Martial wasn't completely useless and ineffective yesterday? Wout isn't the answer but he offered far more than Tony did all game.

Looks like another case of using stats and ratings to form an opinion rather than actually watching the game.

As an aside, it does seem to be prevalent on here that a lot of posters don't actually watch the games; and then form their opinions from highlights, ratings and comments on here.
Wout offered nothing and that was with Bournemouth actually leaving space in the second half. Martial was definitely better which isn't to say that he was good because he wasn't.

roonster09

Scout
At least someone else than myself is bewildered by Whoscored ratings. They rarely make any sense.:lol:
Yeah, I remember one of Arsenal's shit CB used to be among top 10 players in PL in their ratings. I have argued against these ratings for years and then gave up.

JPRouve

Scout
The attackers that finished the games should be embarrassed outside of Garnacho. The others were out there looking like beer league players even though Bournemouth went for it and ended up outnumbered on more than one occasion.

Rightnr

So anything our manager does we should just trust him, and that's it.

Why is this thread even opened when every criticism or even counter argument can be defended with: "We should trust the manager"
If there are any smart newbies here, they just need to post a standard 'get behind the manager post' and a like is guaranteed :lol:.

Literally no nuance and no desire to constructively critique our performances. I wonder how many years after Fergie some people need to see no one's perfect and there's always space for improvement. But apparently that's not supporting the manager because Wout is such a good boy.

roonster09

Scout
Literally no nuance and no desire to constructively critique our performances
Yeah that never happened. "OMG, why is he playing Wout, is he his son, Eth is fan of Wout" is hardly nuanced or constructive criticism.

Rightnr

Yeah that never happened. "OMG, why is he playing Wout, is he his son, Eth is fan of Wout" is hardly nuanced or constructive criticism.
What does a striker do? Does he do A or B:

A. Score goals, provide assists and link up play.

B. Run around like he's a defensive midfielder, not win a header despite being taller than the goalkeepers and miss chances a 10-year-old would score. As a bonus, move your captain and best creator to a position where he's completely ineffective.

If you can answer this question correctly, we don't need to discuss whether Ww should be playing for this club.

b82REZ

Wout offered nothing and that was with Bournemouth actually leaving space in the second half. Martial was definitely better which isn't to say that he was good because he wasn't.
We're splitting hairs, they were both shit. Wout has just become an easy way to attack the manager, often ignoring the context of why he's playing, or has played so much.

Yesterday was a Martial from Jose's reign. Completely uninterested in putting any form of effort in. I think there's a case to be made that ten Hag is using Wout just to show Martial he won't tolerate his pouting and walking around.

roonster09

Scout
What does a striker do? Does he do A or B:

A. Score goals, provide assists and link up play.

B. Run around like he's a defensive midfielder, not win a header despite being taller than the goalkeepers and miss chances a 10-year-old would score. As a bonus, move your captain and best creator to a position where he's completely ineffective.

If you can answer this question correctly, we don't need to discuss whether Ww should be playing for this club.
Nuanced and constructive criticism apparently.

Idxomer

Don't know what Weghorst did that was far better than Martial, he was energetic for 10 minutes and then as usual his effort level dropped and didn't do much of note afterwards.

Also, it's pretty clear that Ten Hag rates Weghorst far more than most people.

JPRouve

Scout
We're splitting hairs, they were both shit. Wout has just become an easy way to attack the manager, often ignoring the context of why he's playing, or has played so much.

Yesterday was a Martial from Jose's reign. Completely uninterested in putting any form of effort in. I think there's a case to be made that ten Hag is using Wout just to show Martial he won't tolerate his pouting and walking around.
We are not. You stated that Wout was better yesterday which he clearly wasn't despite the fact that it was a decent performance by his own standard and Martial from Jose's reign is a good player and put enough effort to repeatedly win his battles with Rashford.

I don't even know why you share that kind of nonsense. Wout came in around the same time he generally comes in place of Martial, I'm pretty sure that it was the plan before the game, likely for fitness reasons. People that are on ETH's back without keeping in mind that Martial has struggled with injuries are a bit daft while people who somehow decide to lie about a game that we all watched are every bit as daft.

b82REZ

We are not. You stated that Wout was better yesterday which he clearly wasn't despite the fact that it was a decent performance by his own standard and Martial from Jose's reign is a good player and put enough effort to repeatedly win his battles with Rashford.

I don't even know why you share that kind of nonsense. Wout came in around the same time he generally comes in place of Martial, I'm pretty sure that it was the plan before the game, likely for fitness reasons. People that are on ETH's back without keeping in mind that Martial has struggled with injuries are a bit daft while people who somehow decide to lie about a game that we all watched are every bit as daft.
Where have I lied?

You seem to have a selective memory on Martial, he was poor yesterday; Wout too, was poor, but not as poor as Martial.

JPRouve

Scout
Where have I lied?

You seem to have a selective memory on Martial, he was poor yesterday; Wout too, was poor, but not as poor as Martial.
Sure I have a selective memory, I told you that Martial was poor yesterday but it happens that Wout was quite obviously worse.

ti vu

Weghorst started one game in all competition once Martial was back from injury, in the games he didn't start he played 106 mins in 6 games, if you add 2 unused sub games then it's 106 mins in 8 league games. That's feck all minutes.
Martial came back against Newcastle, which Weghorst started. Oh the memory. That Newcastle game because Weghorst had to play, ETH had McTominay as no 10 in the first half, where Sabitzer and Bruno got outfought further down the pitch. Didn't give us chance to play that game properly. Only taken off after we already a goal down.

Why you conveniently count only league games when he featured in both legs against Sevilla, and had 20 minutes against Brighton in FA Cup with extra time? Injury time has important context. We lost in injury time against Brighton. Maguire unfortunate own goal in first leg against Sevilla was in injury time. Garnacho scored against Wolves in injury time.

Losing to Brighton in injury time not significant? He was the one headed the freekick out for that fateful corner where arguably, somebody else could have headed it up the pitch.

Sevilla equalized in injury time was not significant? He slipped when Pellistri squared the ball in. This prevented him from alert to Elanga position for a tap in. Weghorst picked the option to pass. 3-0 then, and we likely held out, and favorite into the return leg.

He was not needed against Spurs, but he got thrown onto the pitch as no 10, and had Bruno shifted to right wing. We still led 2-1 before he came on. Not significant that he had to come on and moving Bruno negatively affect our creativity?

Nobody would complain if he had stayed more as unused sub in those occasions. Feck all minutes need to be more literal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We were as sharp as a chopping board.

Eriksen didn't really do all that much besides the goal assist.

Casemiro scored a good goal but some of his passes just demonstrate we need someone better ahead of him. But that's not his job anyway.

Fernandes couldn't pass a ball to save his life.

Martial's link-up play was good but he just doesn't look dangerous.

Sancho... let's not even go there.

Antony, can't score on a guilt-edged chance that any decent forward would at least force a great save from.

Garnacho is literally our only attacker that looks dangerous in pretty much any situation because he actually wants to attack.

We've done extremely well to get top 4 but this wankfest over this team needs to stop. The signs are there we're playing shite and we're on a hiding to nothing if we bring this form into the FA cup final.

I've had enough of praising average 'achievements' one season when we really look out of gas and if I have to bet, unless we get serious new owners, we're not getting top 4 next year.
Yeah let’s stop something that doesn’t actually happen :houllier:

roonster09

Scout
Martial came back against Newcastle, which Weghorst started. Oh the memory. That Newcastle game because Weghorst had to play, ETH had McTominay as no 10 in the first half, where Sabitzer and Bruno got outfought further down the pitch. Didn't give us chance to play that game properly. Only taken off after we already a goal down.

Why you conveniently count only league games when he featured in both legs against Sevilla, and had 20 minutes against Brighton in FA Cup with extra time? Injury time has important context. We lost in injury time against Brighton. Maguire unfortunate own goal in first leg against Sevilla was in injury time. Garnacho scored against Wolves in injury time.

Losing to Brighton in injury time not significant? He was the one headed the freekick out for that fateful corner where arguably, somebody else could have headed it up the pitch.

Sevilla equalized in injury time was not significant? He slipped when Pellistri squared the ball in. This prevented him from alert to Elanga position for a tap in. Weghorst picked the option to pass. 3-0 then, and we likely held out, and favorite into the return leg.

He was not needed against Spurs, but he got thrown onto the pitch as no 10, and had Bruno shifted to right wing. We still led 2-1 before he came on. Not significant that he had to come on and moving Bruno negatively affect our creativity?

Nobody would complain if he had stayed more as unused sub in those occasions. Feck all minutes need to be more literal.
I'll be honest here, i didn't bother reading any of this(just skimmed) and have 0 intention to do so. I'm not going to read long ass post about the few mins Weghorst played.

Point is he played feck all mins, up to you whether you take it with logic or literally.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I can’t see Madrid having the patience for a „system“ manager. When was the last time it worked for them?
And unless our new owners behave like complete clowns I can’t see ETH going anywhere before achieving more with United.

Irwin99

Feck's sake, the Wout discussion is mental in here. He's a loan player who hasn't been great but nonetheless did ok in his first 5 or 6 games and got an assist in a cup final. If he offends you so much you only have to put up with him for three more games.

I prefer to think about how well EtH has done considering the club is still a bit of a mess in many areas on and off the pitch and to see what happens in the coming season(s). I guess my one fear is a potentially disruptive summer negatively impacting our recruitment and the manager being left in the same situation Jose was left in at the beginning of 2018-19 where the club bought Fred and Dalot to close the 19 point gap between us and City.

ti vu

Whoscored is rating is based on raw number/data. Doesn't take into account of opposition strength, or the players positions. A complete pass had some value, no matter if it's a hospital pass backward. A forward won tackles give him point where as in real life that tackle may mean that his team was being pinned back, and as forward, he's having a shite game doing. Another attacker burst his lung running to the byline unchallenged (timing) all game but his crosses keep bounce off for corner. One of the corner that leads to goal. His rating would still be negative. Good movement is not accounted, but negative like uncompleted passes would.

So it ended up with weird assessment like Rashford has no signficiant strength. Whereas Weghorst'sstrength include "Headed attempts".

ti vu

I'll be honest here, i didn't bother reading any of this(just skimmed) and have 0 intention to do so. I'm not going to read long ass post about the few mins Weghorst played.

Point is he played feck all mins, up to you whether you take it with logic or literally.
What logic is giving minutes to players who negatively affect the teams multiple times? That's not feck all minute. Better be unused sub then. 11 appearances, with 2 starts out of 13 games is not feck all if you compare to Maguire post Sevilla.

roonster09

Scout
What logic is giving minutes to players who negatively affect the teams multiple times? That's not feck all minute. Better be unused sub then. 11 appearances, with 2 starts out of 13 games is not feck all if you compare to Maguire post Sevilla.
It is feck all mins.

In the first post I said few are detached from reality, looks like true.

Stuoxford

Judging by his comments yesterday he seems to be a big fan of McTominay. If he stays I think we will get two midfielders. Probably Rabiot and one of Rice/Caicedo. I think we’d be smart to get someone like Tielemans on a free if we can. Good squad option that can play possession football for free.

I think Rice would be the best option aside from Frenkie.
We missed McTominay in the last couple of weeks. He would have made a difference at West Ham and Brighton.
Ten Hag has made mistakes but he’s been brilliant. We don’t score goals because we don’t have a centre forward.
Totally different side to last year. We are in the CL( we won’t lose the last two games) won the Carabao cup and could win the FA cup. Absolutely amazing.

ti vu

It is feck all mins.

In the first post I said few are detached from reality, looks like true.
It's you who are detached from reality, right? Because I only see you actively arguing with multiple people. Few vs the majority. Poor you. Thank for letting me know though.

In the feck all minutes, final result changed against Tottenham, Sevilla at home, Brighton.

roonster09

Scout
It's you who are detached from reality, right? Because I only see you actively arguing with multiple people. Few vs the majority. Poor you. Thank for letting me know though.

In the feck all minutes, final result changed against Tottenham, Sevilla at home, Brighton.
It's obvious who is. I called it long back, spot on.

They are completely detached from reality, maybe they think back up CF shouldn't play a single min because they don't like the player.