Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He did. He was also in charge when they signed Quincy Promes who is another criminal and has now been sentenced.
It's not a good look, if it was a different manager like Jose then I think more would be made of it. Kind of like when, in his very first summer, the supporters had to cause uproar to talk him out of trying to sign Arnautovic. A lot of it gets swept under the carpet.

Castia

I love the guy but I have to be honest this summers transfer targets are massively uninspiring

Skills

Snitch
His job isn't to be the dad and moral compass of the club. The problem is those of you raising a managers status to one of a cult leader.

And anyways, there's an opening to be an actual heel football club. Too many clubs try and act like a force for good. We should just accept that maybe we are the relative bad guys in football. Embrace it. Our fans do a good job of representing us on that front for the most part.

L1nk

I believe that is literally the plan. Hence the tweet title.
If this is the plan we will obviously loan and see what the reaction is and how he plays, all with a view to reintroducing him at some point when it’s beneficial to us I would imagine

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
That people can reform their character? As much as what happened is disgusting, you kick this lad out of football and his life is over, you might as well bury him now. That's a big decision to make.
He will get snapped up by another club if he leaves. There are plenty of clubs that will not care about what he did.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
His job isn't to be the dad and moral compass of the club. The problem is those of you raising a managers status to one of a cult leader.

And anyways, there's an opening to be an actual heel football club. Too many clubs try and act like a force for good. We should just accept that maybe we are the relative bad guys in football. Embrace it. Our fans do a good job of representing us on that front for the most part.
Especially when the club is about to be owned by human rights abusers.

Eric_the_Red99

He scored 4 league goals and 2 assists. Many of those were in the 1st 3 games. Not sure what points he won us. Another winger signing could have done this.
Yes exactly, the choice wasn’t between Antony and nobody, but between Antony and someone better *and* cheaper (maybe even someone with two feet :eek:).

ETH should get credit for successful signings like Martinez, and for getting more out of players like AWB, but we should also be honest and recognise that his record hasn’t been 100%, and the signing of Antony could be placed in that negative column (so far).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think people are overreacting here . Do you realy think ETH will have any say on this? The bad PR itself would be enough.

Think the decision has already been made by the management to keep him and the option now is either loan him out or take him into first team next season. By that time, the ownership would be resolved and the new management can make a call.

Just assumptions.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Not sure what to make of this from ETH if it's true
Maybe this is the smartest call. A season abroad could build him back up value and fitness wise and take him out of the harshest of the spotlight. He’s still worth a fortune if he kicks on. He might even end up playing here again but I don’t think there’s any way we could have just brought him straight back in without it being a toxic situation. Ajax or Dortmund if they’d take him would be great. Very very tricky situation but he only has himself to blame. He sounds like he was always a totally entitled arsehole too. More talent than sense.

sugar_kane

A pragmatic call on Ten Hag’s part if true.

As it stands we’re going into next season with one injury prone striker.

Sending MG on loan gets him away from the club and reduces the noise while also remaining a smash glass in case of emergency option if we need to recall him.

sugar_kane

I love the guy but I have to be honest this summers transfer targets are massively uninspiring
Should our targets even be the responsibility of the manager?

If that’s true it’s the sign of a broken club rather than a bad manager, regardless of the quality of the targets in question.

Ten Hag is a coach not a talent scout.

fezzerUTD

It’s Ten Hags job to coach the players he has and up to the club to decide if they want to keep Greenwood. Once they decide they want to keep him, he will get a chance under Ten Hag and he will be sold if he isn’t wanted for footballing reasons. It’s not Ten Hags decision to decide if he is a criminal or not and rightly so, he wasn’t even at the club at the time.

dubplate warrior

They bought Mane one summer, Salah the next and Alisson the one after that. With VVD and Fabinho sprinkled in. We'll need something like that to have any hope of overcoming City and Arsenal. In retrospect, it seems like Klopp just got lucky with those transfers, seeing how he's struggling to rebuild them.
Recruitment will always be the biggest issue, but as long as the Glazers are here we will never challenge.

Idxomer

Taking the emotions and moral debate out of it, selling Greenwood at his lowest value wouldn't be a good idea at all.

bosskeano

I'm sure many female United players and supporters would disagree.
b/c they loan him out?? selling him would be a bit stupid as they'd get nothing for him. Loan him out and show he can still play then you might get some sort of fee for him. In the end, this is a business decision.

also.....on the human side of things, why or who are we to judge him if he's not been sanctioned by the police AND the family of the woman involved have made amends?? the two families are the ONLY ones who have the right to judge.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
b/c they loan him out?? selling him would be a bit stupid as they'd get nothing for him. Loan him out and show he can still play then you might get some sort of fee for him. In the end, this is a business decision.

also.....on the human side of things, why or who are we to judge him if he's not been sanctioned by the police AND the family of the woman involved have made amends?? the two families are the ONLY ones who have the right to judge.
According to reports there are clubs interested in buying him. A loan is simply kicking the can down the road and hoping it all blows over.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I feel like we can comment due to the public way in which he was exposed. It is up to us as a club to decide whether we want to be associated with him. And let's not forget, he's got a growing list of questionable decisions and misdemeanours already in his short time with the first team. The guy is a cretin - and this is coming from somebody that was talking him up a lot when he was with the youth team and thought he was an amazing talent. I can see past that, the club should be able to also.

arnoldS

Would love Mason back tbh. Phenomenal player, thought he wouldn't be loaned out and slowly intergrated into the team again. Shame.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
ETH walking into pre season and realising his squad is weaker than last season.

No Keeper and no ST.
It's an absolute fecking disgrace.

"Hey, Haggy. Remember how you were worried about not having a first choice striker for next season? Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore because you've also not got a first choice goalkeeper! Oh, and Mount won't be here before pre-season starts either. Anyway, we're going back into the pub to feck about all summer so you go and do all that football stuff that you managers do. Bye."

romufc

It's an absolute fecking disgrace.

"Hey, Haggy. Remember how you were worried about not having a first choice striker for next season? Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore because you've also not got a first choice goalkeeper! Oh, and Mount won't be here before pre-season starts either. Anyway, we're going back into the pub to feck about all summer so you go and do all that football stuff that you managers do. Bye."
Yep, I will be surprised if he is not fuming at the club.

Nogho

I really hope EtH is a forgiving human being. The kids whose hype in such an early age doing stuff like this is lacking proper road models, are under pressure, the wrong self image and I guess personal problems which comes out of it all.

Let’s hope he can get back in shape, take care of his new child (whose mother is the girl on the photos) and get a new look on life and get his things together.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

That he -

1. Knows way more than you about the situation.

2. Has a different opinion to you about something he almost certainly knows a lot more about.

3. Isn’t a reactive idiot willing to sell an extremely talented player because of the opinions of people on social media.

arnoldS

Yes, we're in exactly the same times.
Doesn't matter what time it was, he was an abusive, alcoholic wife beater. That was never ok. Same with Giggs. And both of them have been consideribly older too.

Not saying he isn't a scumbag but we could really use him right now.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
He did. He was also in charge when they signed Quincy Promes who is another criminal and has now been sentenced.
Ten Hag did a lot of things, suggesting he flat out defended Overmars, or specifically his actions towards female employees at Ajax, well that just isn't true at all. Realistically I think Ten Hag handled that situation quite well, like you'd expect a somewhat decent person to handle such a situation in the specific context.

Promes can be considered a criminal now, yes, after being convicted. And personally I think it's disgusting Promes is hiding in Russia like a coward, instead of paying the price for his actions in The Netherlands. Who is the other criminal you're referring to though? Because Overmars has never been criminally charged or convicted for his behaviour at Ajax.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ten Hag did a lot of things, suggesting he flat out defended Overmars, or specifically his actions, just isn't true at all. Realistically I think he handled that situation quite well, like you'd expect a somewhat decent person to handle that situation in that context.

Promes can be considered a criminal now, yes, after being convicted. And personally I think it's disgusting Promes is hiding in Russia like a coward, instead of paying the price for his actions in The Netherlands. Who is the other criminal you're referring to though? Because Overmars has never been criminally charged or convicted for his behaviour at Ajax.
Quincy Promes was the criminal I was referring to. He committed the crime in July 2020 and Ajax kept him at the club for another year (whilst he was obviously still a prime suspect) until he was convinced and like you say ran to Russia.

Hag’s comments on Overmars at the time were hardly scathing, in fact he even suggested a “romantic thought” of them both managing at Ajax again at some point and dedicated their league title to Overmars after he had been dismissed.

I think it’s relatively fair to assume he is one of these “keep it about football” kind of guys.

AndySmith1990

Ten Hag strikes me as a man who isn't interested in drama, controversy or conflict and simply wants to focus on football. Wouldn't expect him to say much about Overmars and I doubt he'll have much to say about Greenwood either

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Quincy Promes was the criminal I was referring to. He committed the crime in July 2020 and Ajax kept him at the club for another year (whilst he was obviously still a prime suspect) until he was convinced and like you say ran to Russia.

Hag’s comments on Overmars at the time were hardly scathing, in fact he even suggested a “romantic thought” of them both managing at Ajax again at some point and dedicated their league title to Overmars after he had been dismissed.

I think it’s relatively fair to assume he is one of these “keep it about football” kind of guys.
Fair enough, I presumed you used the word 'another' to refer to someone else than Promes.

Ten Hag had a friendship with Overmars for over 10 years, working together at two different clubs. He owes most of his succes directly to Overmars. Still the first thing he did when his behaviour became public, was express sympathy to the female victims of the behaviour of Overmars. Then months later came the comments about the 'romantic thought'. Which in my opinion aren't unreasonable. It's easy to see things black and white, and following that logic of course what Overmars did was wrong, so he's now a bad person forever.

Realistically, or more grey and less black and white, it's a situation where a person, Overmars, objectively has been exceptionally good at his job at Ajax. He also behaved like a bit of a pervert, though not to a point where there was a good chance of any serious legal reprocussions. So what do you do with such a situation, where someone did a lot of good things and also some bad things? Do you ban him forever? Does he never deserve a second chance? That was what Ten Hag was referring to. And that's also why he gave him credit for the success on the footballing side at Ajax.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah I agree. Without meaning to say that he has bad values himself, I wouldn't expect Ten Hag to act like a kind of moral compass on anything as coach of Manchester United. He's strictly about the football. Or that's my interpretation based on his time at Ajax.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Him loaning Greenwood out might make sense from a "keep him out of the limelight" perspective. But even if he was successful the circus would come back when he returned.

Honestly if the club has decided to keep the player, then I have no idea why Ten Hag wouldn't have him train and be in the squad. Learn the tactics, get some minutes to see how he does while not having pressure from a squad importance POV. Unless the ultimate hope is he goes off on loan and tears it up so we can sell him for a big fee.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah I agree. Without meaning to say that he has bad values himself, I wouldn't expect Ten Hag to act like a kind of moral compass on anything as coach of Manchester United. He's strictly about the football. Or that's my interpretation based on his time at Ajax.
Can that be applied to fans also?

RedOrange

He scored 4 league goals and 2 assists. Many of those were in the 1st 3 games. Not sure what points he won us. Another winger signing could have done this.
This is the part where I ask you which wingers you're talking about, then you reply that the club employs scouts to know that, and then I remind you the scouts are fecking terrible and haven't bought a decent RW in over a decade.

Majiek7777

shows bad morals from Ten Hag

I hope the club overule him on this issue and let Greenwood go on loan until his contract runs out. Never want him to play for the club again