Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 300 40.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 433 59.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

NZT-One

This thread is utterly embarrassing tonight. Thank god match going reds have more sense than half the Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime in here.
Just fyi - not every thought is necessary worth a post. Posts like that will only fuel the extreme positions and threads like this will suffer from it. It's been the same with Ole back in the day. Just accept that some people criticize and a small minority will criticize over the top - probably mostly fishing for reactions like yours. Just try to ignore it.

Giggsy13

This thread is utterly embarrassing tonight. Thank god match going reds have more sense than half the Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime in here.
That performance was all on the players not ten Hag. The good news is that all of the issues regarding positioning and our pace of play can be corrected fairly easily. I suppose people forget how we started last season. Can’t wait for ten Hag to shut these morons up.

evil_geko

Just fyi - not every thought is necessary worth a post. Posts like that will only fuel the extreme positions and threads like this will suffer from it. It's been the same with Ole back in the day. Just accept that some people criticize and a small minority will criticize over the top - probably mostly fishing for reactions like yours. Just try to ignore it.
It is one thing to criticize but to already write off ETH and start planning for new manager is clown behaviour.

The Firestarter

Knee jerk reaction but I think he's run out of ideas. He said in his press conference Friday that it wasn't about wolves, it was about making sure we do our thing and we have worked hard and are ready.

Well, if that is being ready, I'd hate to see what being unprepared looks like. Ajax fans said in his final season they were glad he was going, they said he made too many baffling decisions, playing a side with ageing players who were too slow and not rotating enough. Also said he waits too long to make subs and relies too much on some players and doesn't give youth a chance. Sound familiar?
He literally started Garnacho and brought Pellistri in :lol:

Andersonson

He is a very good manager, no need to panic! We started win a win and our players looked knackered, for me thats a good thing. Means pre season has been hard and we will hit form in the best time.

RedOrange

It's a good thing you guys don't speak Dutch or you would all be fuming at Erik's post game interview :nervous: said he didn't like how they played today but was dodging negative questions and downplaying that Wolves were the better team, mostly being positive about keeping a clean sheet, being organized in defense and saying we're fine in a low block. Expected a bit more of a critical stance after tonights display but ah well.
What he says in a press conference and what he says behind closed doors are two different things.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Let's be honest we didn't look that great in preseason and we weren't consistently good last season either. Considering that ETH has had a few season, we should expect a better performance than this. Hopefully, we bounce back harder than this against spurs. If not, I see a season similar to Ole, where we win game by luck and somehow manager to scrape a challenge league place and mount a title challenge

the_cliff

Not if we also bought Brighton's recruitment team (and their CEO). We could spent a lump sum then save on it by acquiring obscure players for buttons (well, buttons plus united U23 mark-up) and sell the remnants for 50m each...
Then we'd be left with the small problem which is we'd become Brighton. A mid table to Europa league side....

Malone_Post

People are actually complaining about ten Hag after one bad game? Seriously feck right off with that.
ETH has been United manager for 12 months, spent £370 million on new players & just watched his team get totally and utterly ripped apart by a Wolves team that sacked their manager 3 days ago, sold half of their first XI & have made a single new signing this summer, who didn’t even play today.

But yeah, people are ‘*****’ for being worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

sepulturite

Lets be real and remember that such passive-aggressive posts aren't really helping either. Bad performances will always bring in critics. And a fraction of them will be OTT. This has probably always been this way. It will be the same in the future.

I am sure personal insults will surely help to calm the situation down.
Where was there any personal insults in what I said? I didn't reply to anyone.

And I have no issue with people criticising the performance, it deserves to be, it was shite. But we have people in here basically calling for the manager's head already and clear agenda posting. That's just not on, and I'll just put them on ignore.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What exactly is that, though?

No manager on planet Earth gets this current squad, as it is, any higher than third. The players just aren’t good enough to do that.

The football needs to improve, and I expect we’ll play a lot better than that for the most part, but I do worry that the current midfield will get torn apart unless we invest further.
Look, i wanted Erik as our manager and i am happy with him so far. But i noticed that fans ignoring one thing; we are doing with Erik exactly the same mistake which we did with Solskjaer (and probably with Mourinho). We are again allowing manager to build a team on his own and we are burning hundreds of millions on HIS wishes. If Erik fails (which is always a chance with every manager) then we will be again stuck with some expensive players who will not be suited for next manager. Like Antony or Mount for example.

Erik got enough. Sure, one more midfielder and backup defender would be good to buy but even without them he has enough to start playing dominant football (against most of teams in league) and win at least 10 more points than we did last year.

ErikElevenHag

Inappropriate Behavior - language
ETH has been United manager for 12 months, spent £370 million on new players & just watched his team get totally and utterly ripped apart by a Wolves team that sacked their manager 3 days ago, sold half of their first XI & have made a single new signing this summer, who didn’t even play today.

But yeah, people are ‘Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime’ for being worried.
Nah, people are ***** for suggesting de zebri, who's biggest achievement is winning the Ukrainian super Cup, should replace ETH after one bad performance.

People are ***** for saying ETH has run out of ideas, despite leading us to third, league cup winners and FA Cup runners up following a season which would justify such posts the season before he came in.

And the Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime are the people who can't see that we have a glaring hole at CF and have done since ETH was appointed which contributes to the lack of control given how much the ball comes back without a true focal point. It'd be worrying if ETH couldn't see this and hadn't done anything to address it, but he has, he's identified hojlund as his man and we will see improvements once he comes into the team.

People need to stop being so hysterical, it's embarrassing. Let's see how we're going after 10 games eh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie Boy

Let's be honest we didn't look that great in preseason and we weren't consistently good last season either. Considering that ETH has had a few season, we should expect a better performance than this. Hopefully, we bounce back harder than this against spurs. If not, I see a season similar to Ole, where we win game by luck and somehow manager to scrape a challenge league place and mount a title challenge
Shut up Poch.

NZT-One

It is one thing to criticize but to already write off ETH and start planning for new manager is clown behaviour.
It might be. But it won't stop because of "righteous" corrections from other posters.

You really need to take your own advice.
Great contribution. Thanks for the tip.

Where was there any personal insults in what I said? I didn't reply to anyone.

And I have no issue with people criticising the performance, it deserves to be, it was shite. But we have people in here basically calling for the manager's head already and clear agenda posting. That's just not on, and I'll just put them on ignore.
You called peoples posts "crap". It might not have been directed at somebody specific, but when I post that people who are talking about the snowflake ignorelist are already triggered, I am sure you'll react, right?

If you want to use your ignore list, just do it. Nobody will overthink their posting behaviour because of your notification. Again - and I really mean it as constructive as it can be: remember the days when the Ole conflicts escalated. There was the anti-positivity brigade and the anti-negativity. And it went on and on and on depending how a game went. Just don't react to bullshit, this is the internet at the end of the day. Anonymus people with partly weird views. But as soon as stuff gets personal, you will see stuff escalating.

People need to stop being so hysterical, it's embarrassing. Let's see how we're going after 10 games eh.
FYI, posts like yours could be seen as hysterical as well.

Marwood

Look, i wanted Erik as our manager and i am happy with him so far. But i noticed that fans ignoring one thing; we are doing with Erik exactly the same mistake which we did with Solskjaer (and probably with Mourinho). We are again allowing manager to build a team on his own and we are burning hundreds of millions on HIS wishes. If Erik fails (which is always a chance with every manager) then we will be again stuck with some expensive players who will not be suited for next manager. Like Antony or Mount for example.

Erik got enough. Sure, one more midfielder and backup defender would be good to buy but even without them he has enough to start playing dominant football (against most of teams in league) and win at least 10 more points than we did last year.
I'm bothered by recruitment but we have to let him get a proper No.9 on the pitch before we say he should be hitting this or that points total.

saeed

He is a very good manager, no need to panic! We started win a win and our players looked knackered, for me thats a good thing. Means pre season has been hard and we will hit form in the best time.
This

Newtonius

That was seriously worrying, one would expect Guardiola light given all the talk about control and just when his team finally starts to come together after a proper pre season we very much get an Ole performance that was all over the place they looked lost.

Guess it comes down to relying on our 20 year old striker :lol:

sepulturite

It might be. But it won't stop because of "righteous" corrections from other posters.

Great contribution. Thanks for the tip.

You called peoples posts "crap". It might not have been directed at somebody specific, but when I post that people who are talking about the snowflake ignorelist are already triggered, I am sure you'll react, right?

If you want to use your ignore list, just do it. Nobody will overthink their posting behaviour because of your notification. Again - and I really mean it as constructive as it can be: remember the days when the Ole conflicts escalated. There was the anti-positivity brigade and the anti-negativity. And it went on and on and on depending how a game went. Just don't react to bullshit, this is the internet at the end of the day. Anonymus people with partly weird views. But as soon as stuff gets personal, you will see stuff escalating.

FYI, posts like yours could be seen as hysterical as well.
:lol: :lol: ok mate

Rockets Redglare

You aren’t a United fan, stop pretending.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think Ten Hag’s ability to accept his mistakes quickly and rectify him will make or break his time here. Stubbornly persisting with the wrong players/tactics due to sunk cost fallacy for too long will cost him.

I have confidence he can do it, he’s been too successful up to this point not to

Dominos

My biggest concern is he came in with a reputation as a great coach but he's been unable to significantly our ball retention and playing out from the back. Maybe you can say he can't work miracles with bad players, but this is now with nearly £400m spent, including 3 new midfielders signed. There's no excuse for us to still be this technically inept and getting outplayed by lower half fodder, at Old Trafford.

b82REZ

Yeah and only wannabe Pep Guardiola is my idol neck beard hipster morons think there's a huge difference.....
:lol: did I touch a nerve?

There's a huge difference between only counter attacking and being good on the transitions. I'll give you a hint, transitions can happen in attacking OR defensive actions.

It's been pointed out countless times that Liverpool were the best transition team most recently; but illiterate morons that keep saying transitions mean counter attacks don't seem to grasp the simplest of concepts.

SirMonteyne

I've always thought of him as a modern manager, but not quite at the top of his game. Eddie Howe always reminded me of SAF, and I like Dan Ashworth a lot. Both have moved to Newcastle, so I will just sigh and support ETH until the day he gets sacked, and I'll do the same with next managers. It's just the way it is.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Just saw this on the YouTube, Sir Alex thinks he's doing a fantastic job.

Great to see him on TV and looking well.

Also he makes a great point about players being able to handle the expectation of playing for Utd, that they should have expectations of themselves.

SAF always had nice things to say about our previous managers but I don't recall him backing a manager publicly like this before.

Donut

Worrying that we’re getting worse and that after a whole season and a host of his own signings we still have no style of play.

Judas

Open to offers
I expected to see us a bit further along after pre-season. Apart from Onana, the way we move the ball and use it looked exactly like it did towards the end of last season. The lack of progression is a bit weird.

Early days though! Not quite ready to shit the bed yet.

ErikElevenHag

That was seriously worrying, one would expect Guardiola light given all the talk about control and just when his team finally starts to come together after a proper pre season we very much get an Ole performance that was all over the place they looked lost.

Guess it comes down to relying on our 20 year old striker :lol:
Why would you expect guardiola lite when that has never been EtH tactical style? The only similarity they have is male pattern baldness.

Oranges038

:lol: did I touch a nerve?

There's a huge difference between only counter attacking and being good on the transitions. I'll give you a hint, transitions can happen in attacking OR defensive actions.

It's been pointed out countless times that Liverpool were the best transition team most recently; but illiterate morons that keep saying transitions mean counter attacks don't seem to grasp the simplest of concepts.
Nope. I know what they are, I was just seeing if you did.

Must have been hard for you to get your hands and your phone up your own arse so you could see what you were typing. Well done, I'm sure your mother would be proud.

hobbers

Big worry how he's built a midfield and attack with no physical presence at all (Hojlund notwithstanding). Not inherited now, built.

Front 3 are poor pressers and have zero physicality. Rashford is a pencil. Garnacho is understandably very weak. Antony gives it the big one away from the ball but he's an utter coward in 50/50s, always leaning backwards and never committing.

Mount and Bruno have pressing stats but are both lightweights, easily out muscled, regularly brushed off easily. No one is aerially dominant. We are laughably weak in the air all over the pitch except Varane. This is the fecking premier league. You dont need to go full Mourinho but you need a team with a spine.

Howl

I don't understand the vitriol when it comes to Ten Hag. He's done a fantastic job at the club so far, and a shite performance on the first day of the season doesn't change that. People talk about wanting "Pep-lite" yet complain about moving to a system that pep uses and signing players like the ones pep has signed. It's genuinely baffling to me that people can have such strong opinions based on a pre-season and one actual game. A game in particular which had one player give an absolutely diabolical performance, whilst also spearheaded by a player who clearly doesn't want to be in the position he was in, given by his lack of effort.

ElevenHag

I think what is concerning about today's performance was we need a big, big, step up from what we just saw. If that was a one-off game, no big deal, but our rivals looked strong this weekend, and their comparative shortcomings in their games seemingly less significant than in our showing.

Hopefully, the players wake up sharpish, and that being asleep/ having a bad game is all that was going on. The lack of physicality in that game was a concern though.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm bothered by recruitment but we have to let him get a proper No.9 on the pitch before we say he should be hitting this or that points total.
I'm very much in the same corner.

I can see progress in the squad and stylistic fit, even with Antony whom I don't rate much at all.

I'm not sure about Mount but it's certainly too soon to get all prickly about it. We absolutely need the Amrabat (or similar) alternative.

Onana, Licha, Casemiro and Eriksen were clear improvements. AWB has got better, Sancho seems to be turning a corner (hope so). Garnacho used well for the most part. Maguire is a good PL defender but for a different club and style so rightly fecked off. No need to get me started on PRonaldo... Plenty of positive signs there.

The #9 is key. I don't think Garnacho and Rashford will ever work well. Rubbish as he was, I reckon we would have a better setup with Weghorst.

Very much of the idea we need that other CM and Rasmus to get going before we should run around with pitchforks baying for blood.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I trust him, and he’s done a great job of reasserting the authority of the managers position, as well as getting us playing better.

The only lingering concern that still remains is whether he’s trying to build us a really great Erdervise side that just isn’t quite good enough to win the PL or CL…. Hopefully he can dispel that soon, but the general softness of the side is a big issue at present

ElevenHag

I trust him, and he’s done a great job of reasserting the authority of the managers position, as well as getting us playing better.

The only lingering concern that still remains is whether he’s trying to build us a really great Erdervise side that just isn’t quite good enough to win the PL or CL…. Hopefully he can dispel that soon, but the general softness of the side is a big issue at present
Feel like Tobido and Onana from Everton would be great for a bit of spine and physicality when called for.

Blood Mage

So we're all in agreement that recruitment responsibilities need to be stripped from him and placed in the hands of a best in class recruitment team? Because that should be the priority for the new owners.

Malone_Post

Big worry how he's built a midfield and attack with no physical presence at all (Hojlund notwithstanding). Not inherited now, built.

Front 3 are poor pressers and have zero physicality. Rashford is a pencil. Garnacho is understandably very weak. Antony gives it the big one away from the ball but he's an utter coward in 50/50s, always leaning backwards and never committing.

Mount and Bruno have pressing stats but are both lightweights, easily out muscled, regularly brushed off easily. No one is aerially dominant. We are laughably weak in the air all over the pitch except Varane. This is the fecking premier league. You dont need to go full Mourinho but you need a team with a spine.
His squad building is leaving a lot to be desired. £370 million spent, 80 million on Antony, 70 million on Casimero, 72 million on Hojlund, 55 million on Mount…it’s hardly inspiring stuff. That alone is £277 million that really could have been a lot better used.

I remember a few Ajax fans on here saying that as good as he is and for all his qualities, he’s not very good in the transfer market. It probably doesn’t help that he’s come to the one big club in Europe that still seems to leave all the transfer decisions down to the manager.