g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

astracrazy

Giggs had an affair. It was obviously shitty thing to do but if clubs and managers were to punish players for cheating I doubt there would be many players to chose from.
He also had charges against him for domestic abuse (dropped also), so all those who don't want MG anywhere near the club again presumably want everything Giggs related removed from the club too then....we don't want any double standards here.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He also had charges against him for domestic abuse (dropped also), so all those who don't want MG anywhere near the club again presumably want everything Giggs related removed from the club too then....we don't want any double standards here.
Those charges came well after he stopped playing. And from what I've seen, a lot of United fans don't want to see Giggs near the club anymore. You can't rewrite history, he's the most decorated player to ever play for the club but I think a lot of fans would be happy to see him stay away.

Strelok

Incredibly disappointed in him. I know he had nothing to do with his suspension in the first place, but for a man who is strict on team spirit and atmosphere, he now has a tendency to support vile human beings because they can kick a ball well (Promes, Greenwood).
Tbh we have no idea what ETH might actually feel or think of both. He's simply being professional imo. He's hired to get results. To get results he'd need goals. And imo being a pro means doing what you're hired to and putting aside your pesonal feelings if necessary.

And tbh I don't think the top pro footballers would give much shit about that either. Unless both being a dick to them which I'd doubt so. Imo most top pro players actually only care about money, winning and silverwares and enjoying themselves. I don't think morals have a high priority in what they really care about. And they're also professional. Which means the above I mentioned about. So this won't affect the team sprit and atmosphere imo.

A team do not need to really like each other to win as long as a winning, always giving your best culture is there and the players are pro. They're paid to be there to play football not to make friends anyway. Keane and Shmeichel hated each other with a passion. Under SAF many of our players turned out to really hate each other as well.

Jeffthered

Players change games not systems.

Whatever the system if players can't control a ball, pass a ball, it's not going to be good.
Manager's change games through systems, of course they do. Players need to perform, but teams are set up a certain way and this can (and at times, should) change to circumstances within a game. Can't just leave it. ETH had a bad day at the office on Monday, that's obvious, look at that midfield. I will be astonished if that happens again.

But he has to look at getting rid of some players, and getting some more in. Maybe he needs to show more aggression in the transfer market, challenge the owners etc. We have one decent established forward at Man Utd and that's not good enough. He needs to deal with that.

Rashford will leave next season if this continues. That's my concern, yes, already.

astracrazy

Manager's change games through systems, of course they do. Players need to perform, but teams are set up a certain way and this can (and at times, should) change to circumstances within a game. Can't just leave it. ETH had a bad day at the office on Monday, that's obvious, look at that midfield. I will be astonished if that happens again.

But he has to look at getting rid of some players, and getting some more in. Maybe he needs to show more aggression in the transfer market, challenge the owners etc. We have one decent established forward at Man Utd and that's not good enough. He needs to deal with that.

Rashford will leave next season if this continues. That's my concern, yes, already.
Feels more like its a plan not working than a bad day at the office. The Lens game wasn't much different to be honest and yet its how we went against Wolves.

prateik

All the money spent and we still play shit football.. And he is trying to make us into a counter attacking transition team.

Another fraud ..

astracrazy

All the money spent and we still play shit football.. And he is trying to make us into a counter attacking transition team.

Another fraud ..
Good at transitions doesn't automatically equal counter attacking team

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Honestly could not care less.

dubplate warrior

Another fraud ..
He’s quite obviously a very good manager, a bad first game of the season doesn’t change that.

Also there are different, proactive ways to play on the transition. City control the ball but play on the transition high up the pitch, the peak Liverpool team under Klopp focused on quick transitions further up the pitch, and Ten Hag is trying to do the same, albeit with Mount and Fernandez instead of Henderson and Gini. It’s not the same as Ole who sat deep and tried to hit teams on the counter, we are actually very good and winning the ball higher up the pitch. I have seen United play good patterns of play in their own half during pre season with Onana and last year with most of the same players, also we will finally have a striker. Don‘t be too hasty.

dubplate warrior

Doubt it, but to be honest it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

JimmyWils

Hot take, our own fans are the primary reason that managers are not given enough time at the club. Clear signs on here that some are judging him much much more harshly than last season already.

Hope we don’t see the tide turn as I believe he’s the right man.
Completely agree with this. And look at that, right here below not long after you posted this, one of those too-soon judgments.

Another fraud ..
Honestly have a word with yourself. If you don't believe that this team is already miles better than the awful stuff we were playing before then I have no idea what you're thinking.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Another fraud ..
I was quite impressed how Shaw and Wan Bissake kind of showed up in the box to the Wolves keeper so often. Did you not enjoy that? Fraud i would link to a guy like Lampard, not Ten Hag. Hes been a big improvement over OGS play. No more Pogba, no more Maguire, no more Ronaldo slowing down affairs. Rashford coming good. Plenty of good points imo.

Reactions: Cheimoon

NLunited

I wonder whether Casemiro will thrive in this new approach, I guess we will find out.

In any case, we need to get another dm in.

MUFC OK

Just take a look at Reddit, people are going mental in there. Obviously he is the right guy and he need our backing. Most of the fan base will give him that regardless of situations with the sale of the club and MG situation.
Hadn't considered that - I don't look at reddit. To turn on him because of that (if true) is a bit pathetic.

MUFC OK

That's to be expected after a whole season and about 300-400m spent on players no?
How long are we meant to wait before we can criticise a manager who's team can't seem to string 3 passes together? I'm in no way having a go at ETH and I'm still fully behind him but he will have to show improvement by Christmas or the tide will start turning.
Ah I see, well we're supposed to be playing like Man City now are we? He got us 3rd and a trophy in his first season. He has plenty of credit in the bank - the £300-400 is fair enough but look at what Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, City etc have spent in the same period. We're spending to stay in contention with that.

MUFC OK

You are overrating the influence of Fans on How United operates in regards to managers and you are actually wrong in saying that United fans are short on patience when it comes to Managers or the players performances , I would actually argue United's fanbase at least majority of it goes fairly easy on Managers as well as players in terms of expectations and are guilty of giving them too much time and patience even when they disappoint on regular basis .
Fan sentiment is huge at a club like United. They actively monitor it. Regarding the bolded - no manager bar Solskjaer (after the 5-0) to the scousers got longer than they should have done.

Seeming like an unfair jump in expectations this season from what I've seen.

gajender

Fan sentiment is huge at a club like United. They actively monitor it. Regarding the bolded - no manager bar Solskjaer (after the 5-0) to the scousers got longer than they should have done.

Seeming like an unfair jump in expectations this season from what I've seen.
Every fulltime manager at United Post Sir Alex could have been sacked earlier and they wouldn't have had any reason to complain.

I think most of Us are fairly realistic about the Expectations for this season but what not many aren't ready to compromise going forward is the quality of the football as this is basically Ten Hag's team now and as long as we play good football consistently while avoiding any big humiliating defeats Ten Hag would have support of the majority .

Last edited:

Acquire Me

Hadn't considered that - I don't look at reddit. To turn on him because of that (if true) is a bit pathetic.
Sadly it is a lot of fans who actually do. Like this situation with the sale and MG is something he can do much about. Both situations is hard and complex to handle for the club and everyone working for and with the club. What ever happens some people will have a really hard time and some will feel good, it is not situations that one outcome will make everyone happy.

I support the club and I am very well aware that everything that happens will not be my first choice of what I would do every time. It is just like life basically.

Tony247

While I understand the criticism on ETH's transfers and tactics, I still believe he is the man for the job. Last year we played some good football in many games. Still not consistent but there is progress and I trust the manager to take the team forward.

macheda14

Hot take, our own fans are the primary reason that managers are not given enough time at the club. Clear signs on here that some are judging him much much more harshly than last season already.

Bad take. Managers are given enough time at this club. Our home going fans take a lot longer to turn in a manager than most other clubs. Only Moyes wasn’t given a fair whack and that was more than fair. LVG after two seasons played the most boring football I’ve ever watched. Jose after two seasons played incredibly archaic defensive football. Ole wasn’t a good enough manager in comparison to our biggest rivals.

Gordon S

It´s the expectations and hopes that kills us isn´t it.

New players in, a proper pre season for all players, lots of time to gel the team together, lots of time for the players to understand what the manager wants from them, lots of time for the manager to figure out what his players can do for him and how they are best utilised. And yada yada.

Preseason doen´t look good, but we know preseason is only preseason so no need to worry. Roll on the season. Fecking let´s go!! Let´s see how much closer we are to the best teams now.
Wolves at home is a perfect start to ease into the season and gain confidence!

And then the game happens, and Wolves look better at almost everything. Over 90 minutes, we have no answer.
Our perfomance is probably not as bad as the reaction says, but it is the feeling of being stuck in a hamster wheel, were we just rotate between some good games, some so so games, some truly shite games, back to some good games again, then some so so games, then some truly shite games again and round and round we go.

MUFC OK

Bad take. Managers are given enough time at this club. Our home going fans take a lot longer to turn in a manager than most other clubs. Only Moyes wasn’t given a fair whack and that was more than fair. LVG after two seasons played the most boring football I’ve ever watched. Jose after two seasons played incredibly archaic defensive football. Ole wasn’t a good enough manager in comparison to our biggest rivals.
Don’t agree - Arteta wouldn’t have survived the seasons he had in years 2, 3 and 4 if he was at United. 8th, 8th, 5th would have gotten him the sack here under fan pressure.

None of the above finished as low as 8th - Solskjaers was on course but sacked mid season. Style of play is a subjective intangible so that’s going off results alone.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm very disappointed by that. Probably naïve, but whatever. Thought he would have a bit more of a principled stand but obviously not.
Problem we don't know what MG and his partner have told the club, another issue is the owners see him as an asset and unlike City we cannot just write him off or transfer him and it will not affect the strength of the squad.Thing is they coped perfectly well without Mendy. If our owners cannot or will not let us buy another striker it is what the manager has been left with no matter how distasteful the fans and for all we know he might find it. Remember everything has to go through the owners, Harry's payoff and this as well.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Is anyone else tired of these brain dead posts with mentions of the above…like it’s some sort of gotcha moment? :houllier:
The point is that people who have done horrible things are a part of the club, and to claim your love of the club has dininished based on the one recent person is just stupid considering the history.

padzilla

Hipster

I would argue we give managers who clearly aren't working out too much time. If Moyes, Jose, Ole or LVG were managing any other club of comparable size they would have been gone long before they were with us.

darko1963

Regressed? We won a trophy, got far into the Europa League and the final of FA cup and managed to come 3rd in the league. This is despite having no strikers (well Weghorst) Garnacho, Martial, Martinez, Dalot, Eriksen were pretty much out. Then we had Rashford, Varane and Shaw in and out the 2nd half of last season. We also played the most games out of any team in Europe last season.

Maybe some of you forget the tepid football under Ole and say we regressed? Laughable.
I was referring to our playing style not our results. EtH was brought to our club to implement modern, active and controlling football. What we have year later is team with thin midfield, top heavy and structured for reactive, transitional football. United is not good with playing from back, not good at pressing, not winning midfield battles and our possession in opposition half is bad. Since you mention Ole, in our game against Wolves our formation and style was similar to Ole and we played as bad as under Ole. If we don't improve our game there will be no results in the future.

Last edited:

Cloud7

We’re a long, long way from the tide turning I think. ETH has more support and unity among the fan base than any of our post SAF managers. Things have largely been going in the right direction even if we aren’t quite where some might have felt we would be.

Another factor that works in his favor is that there isn’t really any other gettable manager out there who you would look at and think they will probably do a better job right now than ETH.

macheda14

Don’t agree - Arteta wouldn’t have survived the seasons he had in years 2, 3 and 4 if he was at United. 8th, 8th, 5th would have gotten him the sack here under fan pressure.

None of the above finished as low as 8th - Solskjaers was on course but sacked mid season. Style of play is a subjective intangible so that’s going off results alone.
Who do you think out of those managers should have been given more time? You can speak in hypotheticals but we very much gave our last three permanent managers enough time.

You’re putting the onus on the fans here, Arsenal fans were screaming for him to be sacked. The thing is he never lost the dressing room. Our managers have only been sacked when they lose the home fans, that takes a lot longer than our internet fans.

MUFC OK

Who do you think out of those managers should have been given more time? You can speak in hypotheticals but we very much gave our last three permanent managers enough time.

You’re putting the onus on the fans here, Arsenal fans were screaming for him to be sacked. The thing is he never lost the dressing room. Our managers have only been sacked when they lose the home fans, that takes a lot longer than our internet fans.
Speaking in hypotheticals as you put it is talking about notions of style of play etc. I'm talking about results which is far more tangible. Moyed deserved to finish the season at the very least, LVG 4th, then won the FA cup and finished 5th and was sacked - not fair in my opinion. Jose won two trophies first season, then came 2nd in the League and FA cup, yet was not backed in the summer and left the season after - also not given enough time.

The club plays it's part in this but fan uproar is what has gotten each of the managers sacked in my view. The home fans and internet fans are all fans - the match going Arsenal fans wanted Arteta gone overwhelmingly at least once, yet the club stuck by him and they have reaped the rewards. Our fans have definitely played thier part though.

Appletonred

To label Ten Hag as a fraud is way over the top, he is our best manager since Ferguson and I do believe he will eventually get us
challenging again for the title, maybe not this season, but he will pull the club up to where it should be given time and backing.

Revan

Assumptionman

Jesus Christ. There is not a single fanbase that is more obedient than United one. Most of United fans would eat the manager’s shit and call it chocolate.

ETH probably would have struggled to survive his first season if he was in a club with high standards like Real, Barca or Bayern.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The point is that people who have done horrible things are a part of the club, and to claim your love of the club has dininished based on the one recent person is just stupid considering the history.
Horrible things exist on a spectrum in the first instance.

Tommy Docherty was sacked for having an extra-marital affair with the wife of the club physio, a woman he subsequently married. We all know about Giggs. Best was alleged to have been violent towards his wife, behaviour influenced by his alcoholism which had long gripped him. Both occurred, or at least an awareness of both developed, after their United careers had ended however.

In other words, there’s a stark contrast between the 3 examples andhe shall not be named.

cpresc

New players in, a proper pre season for all players, lots of time to gel the team together, lots of time for the players to understand what the manager wants from them, lots of time for the manager to figure out what his players can do for him and how they are best utilised. And yada yada.

Preseason doen´t look good, but we know preseason is only preseason so no need to worry. Roll on the season. Fecking let´s go!! Let´s see how much closer we are to the best teams now.

And then the game happens, and Wolves look better at almost everything. Over 90 minutes, we have no answer.
Our perfomance is probably not as bad as the reaction says, but it is the feeling of being stuck in a hamster wheel, were we just rotate between some good games, some so so games, some truly shite games, back to some good games again, then some so so games, then some truly shite games again and round and round we go.
Great summary. Fully agree

macheda14

Speaking in hypotheticals as you put it is talking about notions of style of play etc. I'm talking about results which is far more tangible. Moyed deserved to finish the season at the very least, LVG 4th, then won the FA cup and finished 5th and was sacked - not fair in my opinion. Jose won two trophies first season, then came 2nd in the League and FA cup, yet was not backed in the summer and left the season after - also not given enough time.

The club plays it's part in this but fan uproar is what has gotten each of the managers sacked in my view. The home fans and internet fans are all fans - the match going Arsenal fans wanted Arteta gone overwhelmingly at least once, yet the club stuck by him and they have reaped the rewards. Our fans have definitely played thier part though.
Style of play isn’t a hypothetical. It’s quite literally there to see in data and before your eyes. Do you think tactics are some ephemeral idea?

If you honestly think any of those three managers deserved more time then fine, but I think you’re being disingenuous to make some point that has no basis in fact. To say we don’t give managers time in comparison to the majority of the top times is nonsense. You can pick Arteta as the exception, but Chelsea, Spurs, City (pre Pep), Liverpool (pre Klopp), Real, Bayern, Barca all point differently.

Acquire Me

And then we calm down and remember it’s only the first game of the season. We are also happy we got the three points on a night we performed like a pre season game.

dubplate warrior

I wonder whether Casemiro will thrive in this new approach, I guess we will find out.

In any case, we need to get another dm in.
It depends how many turnovers he has to deal with. He actually didn't play that badly, he just had way too much to do throughout the game.

MUFC OK

Jesus Christ. There is not a single fanbase that is more obedient than United one. Most of United fans would eat the manager’s shit and call it chocolate.

ETH probably would have struggled to survive his first season if he was in a club with high standards like Real, Barca or Bayern.
Not exactly true that though, is it? Even Liverpool fans have been more patient with their managers than we have at United to my memory.