Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 488 51.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 468 49.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Rista

I hope people stop forming cult like followings around managers
It's the most annoying thing. I like ETH and want him to stay but we already have people saying "wouldn't be surprised he walks". As if he's somehow above all this and as if he would actually do that in a million years.

KjaAnd

Why didn’t we have any answer to them keeping the ball? We should have a plan in place to press them high and win back the ball.

Either EtH didn’t prepare for this (which would be catastrophic) or he isn’t able to teach the players his ideas (which also reflects negatively on him).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Its so tiring going through this boom bust cycle. Naggelsman 100% if he's game.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
But why sack a guy who’s trying to bring that in and is hamstrung by dickheads the previous managers wanted?
I'm not saying we should sack him. I'm saying that with a proper structure, we can absolutely succeed whilst sacking managers frequently, as every top club does nowadays.

Crimson King

I like Ole and I like ETH. But, for me, Ole was terrible, and ETH was pretty decent last season. This season, there are very worrying signs for ETH so let's just see how it plays out.

My issue is with the fan boys who paint Jose and Ole's tenures in a positive light and are fecking relentless about it, too.
Sacking the manager is pointless unless you have someone you think can come in and make both an immediate impact, but also keep the team on an upward trajectory in the long term. EtH did that when he arrived, and it's really hard to judge at the moment because of how many injuries and off field issues there are.

Eventually we'll get players back and performances will improve, but we'll be lucky if it's in time to finish comfortably in the top 4. The team still lacks depth in certain areas, especially attack. People can keep going on about how much money he's spent, but in context it's still not enough. Chelsea's two CMs cost over £200m. The manager should get to the end of the season, and if they replace him then it should be somebody who can work with these players and also with some kind of long term strategy in place.

That's what Brighton had, and it's why they transitioned so seamlessly from Potter to De Zerbi.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bolded the problem. Our midfield is still after all these years, shite. We expect Eriksen and McTominay to cover anything, two of the most limited players in the league for various reasons.

Mount was a massive mistake I could see costing Ten Hag his job.
Nah you can't blame personnel here. He put Eriksen in a role where he had to cover massive amounts of space, constantly. We all know his limitations, and he put him in a role that highlighted them. It's shit coaching. It's shit tactics. This is what he used to be good at. If he can't do that here, then replace before it's too late.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not impressed overall, but I honestly don't know who comes in and does any better. This club is rotten, filled with soap opera-like drama. The only man who I think could steer through it retired in 2013.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think he sees the end of the season. Not saying that's what I want. I don't even know what I want. I'm just so apathetic about everything to do with United.

Trex

If you sack ETH we'll probably become slightly better for a while and then we'll see a repeat like we have under every manager post SAF. We're just not the club we use to be.

Kill3r7

He gets until the end of season but our form since the EFL championship has been awful.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not saying we should sack him. I'm saying that with a proper structure, we can absolutely succeed whilst sacking managers frequently, as every top club does nowadays.
I agree but for the time being we seem to be dependant on managers bringing the structure then sack them when the players don’t like it anymore

Dazzmondo

I think he's going to be sacked soon. I'll be at the Palace and Brentford games and both are deceptively difficult games. If we drop points in 1 or both of those after likely losing to Bayern, I could see us making the change.

mu4c_20le

It's the most annoying thing. I like ETH and want him to stay but we already have people saying "wouldn't be surprised he walks". As if he's somehow above all this and as if he would actually do that in a million years.
Thank god i wasn't the only one to notice

RedOrange

Rashford… where is the coaching? He is reverting back to the Rashford of 2 years ago. Running too much with the ball and turning hood positions into wasted opportunities. hooting when he should be passing/crossing it low etc.
People have asked this question about 4 different managers. Do you think all 4 of them have failed to mention to him that he's supposed to look for passes sometimes and put effort in defensively?

sparx99

I’m not overly worried about where we finish or anything. However, if we don’t start seeing a team enjoying their football and playing for each other then I’d have a hard time keeping Ten Hag.

Every team in the league seems to have more fun than we do. Our wins are undeserved or hard fought. Our defeats veer between chastening and embarrassing.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Sack him and bring in Nagelsmann as long as he is available
Second this. Bayern was raving mad to sack him when they did.

Now i dont want to sound like a hypocrite, since i defended Ole for a long fecking time, but in the end it was mostly down to nostalic feelings and sunk cost fallacy where i felt the need to stick to my convictions despite all the evidence pointing elsewhere.

Now i dont mean to sound like a belligirent arse, but when it comes to ETH i suspect a lot of fans fell into the trap of sunk cost fallacy. They argued over and over he was a great coach, and instead of looking at the evidence they just get defensive instead.

I really, really hope ETH proves me wrong, but right now i dont really see a future where he is leading us to any major trophies

Cathy Ferguson

De Zerbi has but but ETH hasn't?
Not when we signed him so in that sense de Zerbi is different.

I am well aware that ETH finished 3rd in his first season, but we are going backwards since April and have not played well or controlled a single game this season despite ETH spending 400m, which somehow is the Glazers fault. Will you stand by ETH if we finish outside top 6 this season?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
As most have been saying it does not matter who the hell the manager is if the whole structure of the club is wrong from top to bottom. As long as the owners just see big sponsorship deals coming in they couldn't care less. That is all they are bothered about.

arthurka

I hope he sticks this out too, he has just had too much to deal with at United in such a short space of time, and has been deceived like the rest of us over the takever.

If this continues I honestly would be surprised if he walked away.

We are the slayer of too many managers and players for this to not be been casued by other factors going on a the club.
Agree

Laurencio

Be serious for once: Who else would you hire as a replacement? And would you trust this ownership to do the right thing and find the right man?

We have a family of Dan Snyders at the top of the pyramid. They are the ones who deserve the axe first.
I think it's becoming clear that we don't have the financial structure in terms of selling and buying the right players to entertain ideologues. It requires a substantial turnover in players to work and we just don't seem able or willing to do that. What we need are managers who have a reputation for taking the hand they are dealt and making it work, while slowly tweaking it into a better side.

We just need to stop being a meme of a club, and for that we need to be consistently good and not keep tossing hundreds of millions of pounds worth of talent on the scrap-heap the way we are doing. Other clubs with ideologues sell their players before their value dips and replace them with more suitable players, we sit on them for far too long until they become unsellable.

I am not advocating for the sacking of Ten Hag, but I do question how he's expected to succeed when the player turnover is so low, and he needs very specific types of players for things to work. It's clear this club needs a Carlo Ancelotti, but keeps looking for the next Guardiola.

RPT_Reddevil

Sacking him would be a terrible decision at this stage. But he has to get rid of some of his stubbornness and improve upon his in-game decision making.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I’m not overly worried about where we finish or anything. However, if we don’t start seeing a team enjoying their football and playing for each other then I’d have a hard time keeping Ten Hag.

Every team in the league seems to have more fun than we do. Our wins are undeserved or hard fought. Our defeats veer between chastening and embarrassing.
They did enjoy themselves last season. I actually think off field situations and how it is affecting the dressing room and who is loyal to whom is causing issues.

The Hilton

De Zerbi has proven his pedigree in the PL so unless ETH turn things around, which I don't believe, we should target him. Too early to sack anyone now, but we have started the season poorly. Stay away from arrogant Dutch coaches (apparently the system worked today). Unless ETH can get his CM to work he will be gone by Christmas.
This De Zerbi stuff is so tedious. He's proven pedigree with taking a good Brighton team with great togetherness, and a great footballing structure above him, and improving them, just like Potter before him, in a relatively low expectation environment. He doesn't have any proven pedigree dealing with the egos he'd run into at United, a huge club with poor (but improving with EtH) standards and a poor footballing structure above him, in one of the highest pressure jobs in the world.

city-puma

We have become easy to play against. Opponents just get enough people in and around their box. We are hopeless to create any attacking moment. They then break to either wing to attack 4-to-3 or 5–to-5. We crumbled and left ample space in the center of our box. We are broken now. No matter which opponent to play against.
In this rate, it doesn’t look good. It’s not acceptable!

Just Hope

While I don't think he will be sacked soon, he is running out of time.

Personally I don't really care about the united way or good football, I want three points every match and if that is no possible I want the players to play every game like a final.

We are a very tepid team at the moment, and worst of all we are slowly getting used to it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No idea why we changed the system when we were ok with it against Arsenal. It’s not right for us and we need to go back to what we usually play.
This. We were good vs Arsenal and Erik spoke about that game for two weeks how we looked good, should have won etc...
And then he does this.

Lets be honest now; last year he also had some baffling decisions which were costly (against Liverpool, Arsenal, Palace, Sevilla). Lots of mistakes for United manager.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ten Hag doesn't deserve to be that one. He's a terrible coach.
Not sure I agree that he’s a terrible coach. Everybody here was doing cartwheels when we got him.

Now he’s here and we need to get behind him. We could’ve sacked him at full time today, announced De Zerbi as his replacement and nothing would change. Our issues go beyond who’s sat in the dugout.

tomaldinho1

Five games in I feel it’s ok to start forming opinions and we just look the same as we did under previous managers, without a real plan. There are a hell of a lot of distractions this year but I thought we’d start to see much more confidence and ability in possession by now - having said that Brighton are very good and we were much better vs Arsenal but signs are worrying.

el3mel

Not sure I agree that he’s a terrible coach. Everybody here was doing cartwheels when we got him.

Now he’s here and we need to get behind him. We could’ve sacked him at full time today, announced De Zerbi as his replacement and nothing would change. Our issues go beyond who’s sat in the dugout.
I get behind the club, not the manager. He's a disposable employee.

lsd

The Oracle
Start of the end for him today. Getting beaten by Brighton is no biggie in the current climate, but getting tactically outclassed for 70% of a game at home, by a side that cost the same as Sancho’s dental work is not acceptable.
He has done little to give us hope since the League cup final and I don’t see us getting in the top 8 this season.
In game management is a bad as we’ve had for some time. Very predictable.

That's what is most shocking for me losing is one thing but the way we lose is so poor.

He has been tactically outclassed far too many times already.

That and he is so slow to react and try to change anything then when he does it's head scratching what he attempts to do.

I don't believe the players are buying into what he is trying to do and it makes no difference how much time and money you give a manager. If the players do not have faith in him in its over

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

In February we were the most in form team in Europe. But nooo. EtH must go :houllier: