Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 384 45.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Cathy Ferguson

I have to laugh at anyone wanting Ten Hag sacked. The fickle nature of football fans always gives the executive level an easy out.
Does the signing of Mount make sense to you? Do you think Onana is a top keeper?

ETH will not be sacked before Christmas, most likely not before the season is over.

AndySmith1990

This man is a magician. Imagine dealing with such shit luck and still looking competitive in some big games.
Incredible achievement for the plucky underdogs with a team bought for hundreds of millions to look competitive

Mickson

Most shocking decision of the day.
After Brighton game he is giving minutes to McT instead to Mejbri. Why? Not saying that Mejbri is something special all of sudden but kid had a decent game 4 days ago while McT was utter shit.
I thought Ole was a chicken, but Ten Hag is even worse. My God. I wonder what it takes for him to drop the Eriksen/Casemiro combo?

Rauður Djöfull

The worrying thing for me is how many times he keeps making the same mistake. The amount of times our midfield can be overrun because we keep trying to shoehorn two number ‘10’s’ in a midfield three with a midfielder who is not as mobile as he once was is infuriating.
Well he could play McTominay instead, oh wait he did that last game

Or maybe Mejbri should start allt games

We don't have anyone else until Amrabat + Mainoo are back and people will complain anyway if a game is not won

Thom Merrilin

People here moan all the day that the club doesn't back the managers with their first options so actually no it's not hypothetical. Some of you are ready to blame anyone for the club's failing except the manager. If we had forced players on him, people would have moaned.

This is a moot point. These are his players. I don't care about what the recruitment team should have done. I care about what actually happened, which is that his ideas about reinforcing the team suck and his options in the market are godawful every year.
Anyone who moans about a proper football structure doesn't understand modern football. I wouldn't take them seriously.

The common denominator of our failings has been the Glazers and their yes men in charge. If every manager (including some of the best in the world) fails then surely something is rotten in the club.

I would actually argue his ideas for reinforcing the team are spot on (with the exception of Mount) it's the fees we paid which is the issue. Do you think EtH decides how much we spend on each transfer? Of course not.

mav_9me

Gore. Take a fkn risk. Believe in your fkn players.
And I even understand the reluctance to play the kids away to Bayern. But after watching the complete lack of energy and running, you gotta make a change. You absolutely have to. And Mejbri did fine the last chance he got.

Rauður Djöfull

Your opinions of ETH do not matter at this stage

The most important thing for all fans is to rally for Glazers Out!

Only once the leeches are gone can the club revitalize

Cathy Ferguson

To me he's like a bald Michael Schumacher who has been told to build his own car because the Ferrari engineers have all been replaced by accountants and youth team coaches.
More like a bald average Formula 3 driver who thinks he is Schumacher.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He better light a candle in the name of Holly Amrabat and mediocre Mount to save his arse, or he is gone by the end of the year.
This is unfortunately the case.

To be honest, if that doesn't work, then we're fecked beyond this season actually as Casemiro and Eriksen are clearly done.

el3mel

Anyone who moans about a proper football structure doesn't understand modern football. I wouldn't take them seriously.

The common denominator of our failings has been the Glazers and their yes men in charge. If every manager (including some of the best in the world) fails then surely something is rotten in the club.

I would actually argue his ideas for reinforcing the team are spot on (with the exception of Mount) it's the fees we paid which is the issue. Do you think EtH decides how much we spend on each transfer? Of course not.
He doesn't decide the price tag but he went on with such transfers knowing they will be overpriced and will eat the majority of his budget, so when these players flop it's ultimately his fault for persisting with them.

Ten Hag options suck. He signed two over the hill midfielders as short term stop gap and now both look done. He signed Antony who has been awful, just because he managed him before. He signed Mount, whom he himself seems to have no clue how to use him. Malacia is a waste of space and now Onana doesn't even strike me with confidence anymore that he can still be considered a good business, looks an awful shot stopper. Up till now only Martinez has been a successful business.

He just added more duds to the club that we'll have to get rid of in few years time.

Dan_F

I thought Ole was a chicken, but Ten Hag is even worse. My God. I wonder what it takes for him to drop the Eriksen/Casemiro combo?
And play who? Hannibal, who was playing averagely in the Championship last season? McTominay, who was terrible against Brighton.

Ten Hag will have to take the blame for how we’re playing tactically, but I don’t see the point in bashing him when we have nine players out.

prateik

To me he's like a bald Michael Schumacher who has been told to build his own car because the Ferrari engineers have all been replaced by accountants and youth team coaches.
Schumacher.. one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time
ETH.. a fraud from the dutch league..
Yeah.. its the same.

frostbite

I'm not deflecting blame but placing blame where it belongs.

You've created a hypothetical scenario to supplement your argument (aka a strawman). I'd be thrilled if we had a proper DOF and let the coach actually focus on coaching the team.

I agree that some of the signings were made purely because ETH wanted them, however I don't think that can be used to blame him because he should never have been allowed that much influence in the first place. The blame (and praise) for all transfers should land at the feet of the Glazers, Arnold, and Murtough.
But then the fans would complain that the owners are forcing ETH to work with players that he did not want.

Klean

:lol: He’s done a good job tonight considering the injuries and can’t do anything about Onana having a howler!
To be fair I support Ten Haag and think he is the coach to take us out of this dark period. But when you see the same mistakes and players not running back into position or even looking bothered about their performance its one or two things. Either he can't see the problem and fix it, or the fix that he is trying the players don't execute.

Feels like he is slowly losing the team, which is not like we haven't seen it before... (Mourinho, Ole, Ragnick).

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
In the first 10 minutes Pellistri can't convert from 3 yards.

When you consistently fluff chances like this it is not the manager's fault.

Dannn411

He is really staring down the barrell now and its not the results. It's the performances. They are getting increasingly hopeless. There is nothing to hold on to for future games. The only thing we have left is injuries and basically praying that the injured players come back and dramatically turn the performances around. I genuinely cannot confidently tell you where our next win is going to come from and i've only ever felt this way just before our managers have gotten the sack in rhe past.

Thom Merrilin

He doesn't decide the price tag but he went on with such transfers knowing they will be overpriced and will eat the majority of his budget, so when these players flop it's ultimately his fault for persisting with them.

Ten Hag options suck. He signed two over the hill midfielders as short term stop gap and now both look done. He signed Antony who has been awful, just because he managed him before. He signed Mount, whom he himself seems to have no clue how to use him. Malacia is a waste of space and now Onana doesn't even strike me with confidence anymore that he can still be considered a good business, looks an awful shot stopper. Up till now only Martinez has been a successful business.

He just added more duds to the club that we'll have to get rid of in few years time.
Seems like this discussion boils down to who is ultimately responsible for transfers. I say it's Arnold, Murtough, and the Glazers, you say it's ETH.

Going forward, if we don't change how we operate in terms of recruitment, this cycle will continue indefinitely. We've spend what, 400 mil but still are being held back by the signings made during the previous manager's reign.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Which games are these?
There's this collective delusion on the Caf that we deserved to win the Arsenal game but just got unlucky. I'm seeing similar sentiments about the game tonight, even though we were light-years away from leaving with a win.

red till I die 2023

Ah the usual knee jerk reactions yet again...Ten Hag out...Glazers out..blah blah...things will get worse before they get better...TH has not has his best team available yet and when he does and results stay the same....I'll agree BUT he hasn't had that luxury yet...the alternative is to continue on the magic roundabout...New manager c...clearcut.. Repeat process...we need to suck this up and be patient...Sack the board tomorrow would be a more intelligent move and appoint a DOF with a long term strategy in place.

Thom Merrilin

But then the fans would complain that the owners are forcing ETH to work with players that he did not want.
I say let them complain. Managers get players they don't want all the time, it's all about the profile of player identified. Klopp famously wanted Brandt (I think) instead of Salah.

The equivalent for us was last summer when ETH wanted DeJong. Clearly he wanted that profile of player but we then turned around and signed Casemiro, a very different midfielder.

It'd be like if Klopp wanted Brandt and Liverpool signed Ivan Toney instead.

Irwin99

The players are still with him I feel and they showed some fight at least. There are moments where we look decent in games but you can't be a great transition team that wastes easy opportunities to score first and then concedes the first goal with horrific mistakes though.

I hope the fans, the players and the club stick by him. We've got a massive injury crisis and need these players back.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag to TNT Sports:
  • "Disappointed because we should stay in the game. If you score three goals at Bayern Munich you have to take a point.
  • "We are in a period, a lot is going against us. We have to make our own luck. We've played great teams in the last three games."
  • On Andre Onana accepting the blame in his interview: "It's good he's doing that but it's about the team. Mistakes are being made but you have to bounce back as a team. If one player makes a mistake, it's done, its gone. We have to believe as a team that we can always bounce back. Tonight we showed it."
  • On Saturday's game with Burnley: "Every game is important. Every game is huge. We have to make our own luck. Nobody can help you.
  • "Stay in the game and don't allow the opponent to score a goal. it's not about one mistake. It was too easy for the player to have the shot."
  • On how they can change things: "We, team, me included, only we can do it. It's in our hands, nobody else."

ErikElevenHag

Probably fit players to replace them. Its hard to drop them when your only other option is McTominay who he clearly doesn't rate.

Bwuk

I don’t understand why Eriksen came out for the second.

Give Hannibal a go.

Thom Merrilin

In the first 10 minutes Pellistri can't convert from 3 yards.

When you consistently fluff chances like this it is not the manager's fault.
Exactly. Same with the Onana goal. If those two incidents go our way we win that game and ETH gets praised.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Worrying thing is that his players knows how to score goals. So there is obviously a problem with his coaching. Our statistical numbers are not great as well. We are underperforming like Newcastle and Chelsea, but the only problem is that the latter teams are doing well statistical than us. Which means that we have more of a coaching problem rather than a player problem.

But, I am still not giving up on ETH. He needs a fully fit 11. Injuries has definitely held us back significantly.

lsd

The Oracle
No player is "his" signing. We have a team set up above the manager that are supposed to deal with recruitment.

There's no way you could honestly think these are not his signings.

Most sources even have it that the clubs scouts were advising against his signings but overruled