Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 648 44.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 806 55.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

city-puma

Not nonsense it's cold hard truth, he should have paid Maguire off should have not wasted 60m on onana and 70m on Højlund and gone for a superclinical striker like Kane.
Not disagreeing with you about ridiculous transfer fees on those transfers.

Mercurial

I do think ETH has some qualities that we need. The Sancho,Ronaldo and Maguire situation is one of them. He has done every thing right there.

But he has also bought Antony, Onana etc for huge huge sums. Through his brothers agency... we can bash our recruitment all we want, but all those transfers are ETH transfers and im not sure anyone of them will turn out.
We jumped into bed with Raiola for Mourinho and now were in bed with Vos as a club saying yes to their less than awesome.e clients.

Sucks to be us, we are and have been super loyal to EtH, he need to show something for it now.

fallengt

It is if it works - and we can't find a way to unlock them and play pensive, dreadful football then sub in Maguire and VdB :wenger:

parking the bus is a very valid tactic if you know limitations of your opposition and said opposition can't adapt
That's still not outplayed/outsmarted by anymean. CP came to old trafford with diving & hail mary set pieces, they got what they wanted.
United just couldn't break their defense which is a theme for who knows how long now (3 years?).

That's just United outplayed themselves. We are fecking shit in the final third, every knows that.
You blame coaching staff, blame the manager but honestly, nobody knows what the feck going on anymore. Shit like this need systemic coaching and proper structure to improve.

TsuWave

Unai teams are famously defensive, and his CV is mostly mid table success from what I'm aware - can you point to any achievements that are the kind United would be aiming for, or any success under the pressure he'd be under here?

As for Rose, he's added one honour, having always been in well structured environments that are nothing like United. He does seem like potentially a good fit for the team that Ten Hag is trying to create here, so maybe in a few years, but right now there's little to suggest he wouldn't be facing the very same problems right now.
Villa doesn't play defensively. They have exciting wide players, and a technically sound midfield averaging 65% of the ball at home. They have scored 18 in 7. For comparison United has scored 7 in 7. Unai Emery has 4 european trophies, a league title and domestic cups in France.

DickDastardly

Ok. Not in a good position. Let's see if he can turn it around. I have high hopes for him.

Doesn't seem to hard. Just needs to reward good games and good attitudes.

Yes, the left back conundrum is a bit silly. I'd rather he play a u19 left back then slot Amrabat there.

Get Garnacho on. Get Mejbri on. Play Amrabat in the middle. Play Bruno on his position. Play Antony on rw.

Start winning ffs.

TsuWave

That's still not outplayed/outsmarted by anymean. CP came to old trafford with diving & hail mary set pieces, they got what they wanted.
United just couldn't break their defense which is a theme for who knows how long now (3 years?).

That's just United outplayed themselves. We are fecking shit in the final third, every knows that.
You blame coaching staff, blame the manager but honestly, nobody knows what the feck going on anymore. Shit like this need systemic coaching and proper structure to improve.
Out played and outsmarted aren't interchangeable. Again, if the tactical adjustment needed to guarantee 3 points against United is simply parking the bus then it certainly qualifies as outsmarting Ten Hag seeing as he's incapable of finding a solution for it. It is what it is.

OrcaFat

I get what you mean. Problem is it's quite different back then and now. Different time different generations. Players didn't cost 100m. Lot of things imo.

Anyway agree we should stick with ETH for at least another season regardless of how bad it might be. At least he got the right approach I think. Let's see how this goes by this time next year and support him in the meantime. Of course if we haven't sacked him by then yet.
Yeah, for sure, SAF lived in a very different world! I couldn’t say for sure that EtH is a great coach but I think he might have the best mix of ability and personality for the job at hand. Which is a big, long term job.

He is known to be a long term planner and he is evidently determined and principled and speaks his mind.

I think we have to ask ourselves: what is the job? Many coaches might get better results in the short term but we’re trying to consistently challenge for and win the biggest trophies. It’s a complex task.

frostbite

Yeah, for sure, SAF lived in a very different world! I couldn’t say for sure that EtH is a great coach but I think he might have the best mix of ability and personality for the job at hand. Which is a big, long term job.

He is known to be a long term planner and he is evidently determined and principled and speaks his mind.

I think we have to ask ourselves: what is the job? Many coaches might get better results in the short term but we’re trying to consistently challenge for and win the biggest trophies. It’s a complex task.
Is he?

I read that Overmars was the long-term planner, not ETH.

spiriticon

I don't give a feck about beautiful football for now honestly. It looks like ten Hag is out of ideas for now.

If he has to play Mourinho ball to start winning, just do it.

Mainoldo

Do what LVG did and just installed your philosophy in the youth. It got LVG an FA cup and a goal difference off top four.

Our best players can’t press or pass. Bench them.

*cough Bruno, Rashford*

Suv666

We need proper recruitment and scouting the club is a fecking joke blowing so much money on Antony, Mount, Hojlund was fecking insane.
Don’t handle the keys to the kingdom to whoever waltzes in

Jackal

Give it a bit of time. You can see there is an attempt to transition the side away from the counterattacking bruno/rashford 'rabbit out of the hat' tricks we've been used to. We're on a bad run but it really doesn't look hopeless and don't also see how it's either EtH's fault that the club has been a circus with the sale, Greenwood, Sancho etc etc,

I regret bringing up Ole now, not getting into that debate with people again :lol:
How is it not Ten Hag’s fault?

Be objective for a minute. Ten Hag must have been aware United would be hindered by FFP in the transfer market, why did he waste more than £100m on Mason Mount & Onana when they weren’t really priority positions.

United could have kept De Gea(he won golden gloves last season). United’s defence wasn’t bad last season. They conceded similar amount of goals as Arsenal but Arsenal scored 30 league goals more & got 9 points higher than United.

It was obvious even to the blind that the attack area(lack of a decenrcentre forward) was where the problem was and a midfield that could control games for large spells. This isn’t rocket science.

Ten Hag abandoned reason and wasted scarce resources on 2 players we don’t really need. The idea behind his recruitment was awful. This was the same guy that thought replacing Ronaldo with Weghorst(0 PL goals in 17 apps last season) was a genius idea.

You watch other teams and you can see what their managers are trying to achieve. Ange has been at Spurs in 5 minutes and he’s totally transformed the club. Ten Hag has no identity, no tactical nous. The football has been frantic and desperate.

What a shit show!!!

Ralph1386

The scouts regularly highlight players but are ignored for who the manager wants instead. They found Caceido before he left South America, all the kids we’ve currently got in the first team, that striker that just signed for PSG, etc there’s loads, just google who we’ve been scouting over the last 10 years and you’ll see.
Before asking me to google anything you should at least google about the Caicedo deal and know that it wasn’t the manager who ignored the Caicedo deal back in 2020 but it was a failure from the recruitment department with internediaries. None of our managers have ever completely trusted our scouts (a problem less apparent in other top clubs). The DOF is totally clueless to veto anything any manager decides here, another problem that is non-existent in other top clubs where the DOFs get even more say than managers.

And therefore thinking that the solution is to sack a manager to allow the next one to rely on our “good scouting department” while using existing players (like you said in your initial post) is a completely head in the sand view of the problems in this club. The next manager will have the same problems and lack of trust under the same scouting and recruitment structure. And you’ll be asking for his head again.

Guapa

I don't see what type of team we're trying to be.The players are either incapable or refusing to carry out the managers instructions.Either way I think this ends badly for the manager without a full clear out of the players he inherited .

OrcaFat

Is he?

I read that Overmars was the long-term planner, not ETH.
He said it himself often.

Looking at how he manages (or appears to from a distance) he is a builder. He believes in process above isolated product / outcomes. That seems to be the case from his selections and the way he talks about the club / squad.

vibe

Out of interest mr terrible sarcasm; who would you hire ?
To self-fellatingly quote a wise man.

At this point anyone. Don't get me wrong I 100% understand what you're getting at, the club's problems run much, much deeper than the manager, but it doesn't look like ETH is close to turning anything around.

We have to accept the reality that we are not a top club in the PL right now and not even a top manager looks like he could change that. So why not get someone less experienced with more to prove?

Will it bring us back to the glory days? Probably not. But will keeping ETH?
Point is I'm not saying getting a new manager will help, not by a long shot. But will it hurt? Hurt what? What do we have going for us this season that's in any danger of being jeopardized by a new manager hire? Best case scenario we strike gold, worst case things just continue as they are.

When things aren't going well, I personally find it a little silly for a club to just hope it all magically fixes itself, rather than trying something differently.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For the first time since he joined, I’m genuinely worried. He’s made so much excellent managerial decisions so far and had a really good first year but 4 losses out of 7 has to set alarm bells ringing at a club of this stature. At the end of the day despite him turning the ship around last year, we’re falling apart when it’s now that the football needed to start showing quality. The tactics, coaching, patterns just aren’t showing.

I still feel that he needs time to see through this horrific injury situation and then let’s how things look another 6 months from now - if we haven’t made substantial progress.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't care what anyone says, despite the dreadful start to the season we still look several leagues ahead of Ole's teams in terms of functionality/cohesion. I think the signings are questionable (Mount/Antony - albeit they would look better at reasonable prices) but I think there is promise. It's just a toxic environment so there's a good chance the whole thing derails before we really get to see it.
What cohesion? The attack plays like they've never seen each other before?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
should be forced to train the under 21s until he apologises.

Maniron

We need to give him at least to the end of the season and see where we are then. We have had so many false dawns, chopping and changing managers isn't the answer

Redfrog

Weirdly enough, Ole was the funniest manager w had since Fergie. We played our best attacking football under him since Fergie. That’s telling !

OrcaFat

For the first time since he joined, I’m genuinely worried. He’s made so much excellent managerial decisions so far and had a really good first year but 4 losses out of 7 has to set alarm bells ringing at a club of this stature. At the end of the day despite him turning the ship around last year, we’re falling apart when it’s now that the football needed to start showing quality. The tactics, coaching, patterns just aren’t showing.

I still feel that he needs time to see through this horrific injury situation and then let’s how things look another 6 months from now - if we haven’t made substantial progress.
Yeah it’s dire and the results are generally down to the decisions he’s making. However I believe he is doing the right things for the long term.

You might say he’s being naive because each defeat is a step towards the sack even if his plans are progressing in the right direction.

I still think it will click soon.

Redfrog

And to top it all off, he treats the club like it’s his own personality cult. I said that the Sancho thing will backfire and I suspect that it will be revealed that it was the straw that broke the camel’s back if Ten Hag can’t turn it around and the dressing room throw him under the bus. In addition, Sancho’s refusal to apologise is being vindicated with every terrible performance. These players need a fresh start.
I’ll sack everyone. Manager, players, CEO, DOF. The new owner, if there is one one day, should anyway.

crossy1686

career ending
Before asking me to google anything you should at least google about the Caicedo deal and know that it wasn’t the manager who ignored the Caicedo deal back in 2020 but it was a failure from the recruitment department with internediaries. None of our managers have ever completely trusted our scouts (a problem less apparent in other top clubs). The DOF is totally clueless to veto anything any manager decides here, another problem that is non-existent in other top clubs where the DOFs get even more say than managers.

And therefore thinking that the solution is to sack a manager to allow the next one to rely on our “good scouting department” while using existing players (like you said in your initial post) is a completely head in the sand view of the problems in this club. The next manager will have the same problems and lack of trust under the same scouting and recruitment structure. And you’ll be asking for his head again.
Why would you trust the scouting department that you didn’t appoint when your boss tells you that you’ve got £400m to spend and you can sign whoever the feck you want?

Doracle

The crisis would’ve been massive if it wasn’t for a lucky win against “almost jumbo Burnley” Can’t remember a more depressing start of a season; most stable crap I’ve witnessed.
And the even luckier win against Wolves in match 1 (not to mention that the only other match we won saw us desperately hanging on against 10 man Forest).