Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 572 54.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

city-puma

why doesn't this team do cutbacks? Like everyone and their dogs do it but not United.
Most of our conceded goals this season were from cutbacks too.
Because we are slow to exploit the space, any opponent just gets enough bodies back and lock down any space.
In contrast, we always have a few moments each game giving the opponent the space on side and center of the our box, when we have only three or four players able to get back to our box in time.

chocolate cloud

Varane and lindelof were brutal yesterday playing out from the back. Really slowed us down.

Fernandes was completely anonymous.

We need to play martial on the left. I'm sick of Rashford. Put Amrabat in midfield. Stop this left back nonsense.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
ETH may be out of his depth. It’s looking more and more likely that he is finding it difficult to tactically adapt when the chips are down and the bench isn’t gleaming with top quality players. I hope he turns things around but I just can’t see it.
Lost badly to Postecoglou, Arteta, De Zerby and outhought by the last century man, Hodgson.

Not a good look for his resume.

croadyman

I am convinced some of this team just can't be arsed to play for him. I know some think that sounds mad but the lack of fight is telling

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
After a difficult start to is had to be the game to get our season back on track and make use of some good fixtures. What a disaster.

croadyman

I am starting to think maybe he needs to feel some pressure from above,however we all saw the fully backing PR so definitely won't happen under these owners

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
why doesn't this team do cutbacks? Like everyone and their dogs do it but not United.
With which full backs and wingers ? Dalot is horrible when it comes to passing in the final third, Pellestri gets outmuscled and/or loses balances when he gets by the byline and Rashord, need I say more ?

manichester

ETH lost it for me signing Mount. One priority should have been a centre back to cover for Varane, also would have pushed HM further down the pecking order and he would have got the message early doors. Amrabat should have been brought in earlier, and had a pre season with us rather than wasting the time at Fiorentina.
Mount and Bruno do not complement each other in midfield it is one or the other, our creativity is very poor despite a lot of possession against Crystal Palace. We look devoid of ideas in the final third constantly recycling the ball without any penetration.

Tap

He will likely go the way of LVG. Have a promising first season, an underwhelming second season, win a trophy, make terrible transfers then get sacked before or during the third season.

King29

He has torched large sums of money in the transfer market with nothing to show for it tbh.

If we are still in this form after Christmas I suspect he might not make the end of the season.

Seems out of ideas and confidence and it's only been 7 games.

afatzp

Big call with ETH again if he is willing to drop the two elephants in the room : Rashford and Bruno.

Obviously Rashford is in terrible form and could not leverage those tactical privilege given to him. He barely needs to press or track down , no need to wrestle with CB. Just needs to stay wide to receive balls , dribble with it and allowed max discretion to shoot/pass. But his end results just simply terrible. Also he has lost motives after fat contract signed.

Bruno can't really play the ideal football that ETH wants , he can't control the game or dribble , always try risky balls and think it's OK as long as one or two got through, always caught out-of-position with his terrible sense of pressing timing. Mount would be a much better choice than Bruno in this regard, and the two can't play together as well.

If he did not have the gut to take on these two, then I think ETH would not last till end of the season.

Rednotdead

What finally convinced me that Ten Hag wasn’t up to the job was his handling of the Sancho situation. By criticising the player in public he put in motion a series of events that inevitably led to Sancho’s banning from the aquad. That didn’t need to happen, if he’d dealt with Sancho behind the scenes the player would probably have still been available to him, whether you think that’s a good thing or not. Any decent manager of people knows you don’t humiliate your staff by criticising them in public.

There were previous indicators of his incompetence to my mind, his obsession with Antony - £80m plus for a winger who had 2 assists from 26 league games last season being one and the completely inexplicable purchase of Mount - £60m or so for a player who couldn’t get a game for Chelsea - being another.

He appears completely unable to motivate his players to go out and fight - maybe they don’t want to fight for him, I don’t know. Or maybe he just thinks technically good players shouldn’t need to fight.

The owners, Arnold, the stadium, Carrington are factors in the general decline of the club but Ten Hag is in charge of the team. No one else picks it, no one else determines formations and tactics. No one else is responsible for motivating the players to go out and perform at their best.

This is on Ten Hag, no one else.

SmallCaine

What finally convinced me that Ten Hag wasn’t up to the job was his handling of the Sancho situation. By criticising the player in public he put in motion a series of events that inevitably led to Sancho’s banning from the aquad. That didn’t need to happen, if he’d dealt with Sancho behind the scenes the player would probably have still been available to him, whether you think that’s a good thing or not. Any decent manager of people knows you don’t humiliate your staff by criticising them in public.

There were previous indicators of his incompetence to my mind, his obsession with Antony - £80m plus for a winger who had 2 assists from 26 league games last season being one and the completely inexplicable purchase of Mount - £60m or so for a player who couldn’t get a game for Chelsea - being another.

He appears completely unable to motivate his players to go out and fight - maybe they don’t want to fight for him, I don’t know. Or maybe he just thinks technically good players shouldn’t need to fight.

The owners, Arnold, the stadium, Carrington are factors in the general decline of the club but Ten Hag is in charge of the team. No one else picks it, no one else determines formations and tactics. No one else is responsible for motivating the players to go out and perform at their best.

This is on Ten Hag, no one else.
You mean like take him out of the public eye, give him leave of absence and time to work on his mental and physical issues, defend him in public and never bad mouth him, because pretty sure he did all those things last season, the wannabe ravel morrison sadly didn't improve, the fact that people would rather that a manager accept repeated insolence from his players is incredible, any decent manager would know if you allow one guy to keep ignoring basic rules while being less than useful as a training cone on the field it would hurt the team overall.

Rednotdead

You mean like take him out of the public eye, give him leave of absence and time to work on his mental and physical issues, defend him in public and never bad mouth him, because pretty sure he did all those things last season, the wannabe ravel morrison sadly didn't improve, the fact that people would rather that a manager accept repeated insolence from his players is incredible, any decent manager would know if you allow one guy to keep ignoring basic rules while being less than useful as a training cone on the field it would hurt the team overall.
Well yes, all that. I’m not defending Sancho in any way. But look where we are now.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He’s still got my support and it’s way too soon to talk of sacking him but I genuinely can’t see what he is trying to do with this team. What type of football is he trying to implement? That’s what is particularly worrying, I expect mistakes and inconsistency if we’re making progress on the pitch but we’re not.

Mercurial

Garnacho does it and I respect him a lot for it. Bruno on right, capablenbut rarely play there. Sancho is supposed to but doesn't want to. Rashford takes holiday and goes on a soft strike if played on right. Were a mess.

Rednotdead

He’s still got my support and it’s way too soon to talk of sacking him but I genuinely can’t see what he is trying to do with this team. What type of football is he trying to implement? That’s what is particularly worrying, I expect mistakes and inconsistency if we’re making progress on the pitch but we’re not.
Postecoglou has been at Spurs for only a matter of weeks and they already have an identifiable playing style. Ten Hag has been here for over a year.

Mercurial

My hunch says he doesn't like to be opposed and is very driven on having things his way. His transfers are mostly players his agency are involved in or facilitated. Think he doesn't trust the hierarchy at the club to build the way he likes and vetoes his players in, they are scouted by his agency and his son is their data analyst, but the EtH style is all or nothing. If 1 or 2 don't buy in or can't it won't work well. This shtick might have worked at Ajax, but doesn't seem to work at United and PL. He is out of his depth with the fierceness of the league and we're burning lot of money to back his fragile vision.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Postecoglou has been at Spurs for only a matter of weeks and they already have an identifiable playing style. Ten Hag has been here for over a year.
I agree, it’s very disappointing and I have no answers. I could muster a few excuses about injuries and culture but that’s all they would be, excuses.

philippexyz

I'm losing my faith in him, probably already lost it. Poor recruitment isn't really his fault - he needs to have a competent football, scouting/recruitment structure above him, but he doesn't, and we all know why. I sense that he will be the final victim of the Glazer Apocalypse. Hopefully, they finally leave during this season, ETH likely gets sacked by the new ownership and we start again to rebuild from the ashes.

Not fixing the midfield, when he had the money, resources to do so(failing to get FDJ really screwed him), keeping Bruno as the Hollywood passer(and making him captain, nonetheless) who is a "pseudo midfielder" who can't dribble or carry the ball(which is unacceptable) is the ultimate reason for his downfall from the tactical standpoint, in my opinion. We still have a "hot potato midfield" that can't control games, and he could've resolved that if he had the capabilities/willingness to do so. Instead he doubled down on "transition football" which obviously doesn't work as good as he imagined it to be. Injuries are also hurting ETH this season, but that's just bad luck, I guess.

To quote Freddie Mercury(Queen) - "Another one bites the dust".

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Like, he has to know this Mount - Fernandes midfield has 0 chance of ever working, persisting with that and playing Rashford in his current form is just gonna get him the sack.

Mainoldo

He didn’t have to deal with Harry Keane and he’s happy to drop players that don’t fit his system. Agains it’s easier when you don’t have the superstar.

We all know which players aren’t ETH players but yet he continues to play them.

1 is our captain the other is on £350 a week.

It might have been Palace B team but it’s noT by chance we managed to score 3 goals.

Drop these technically shite superstars or he’s not making it to Xmas. We will continue to lose.

Jev

He didn’t have to deal with Harry Keane and he’s happy to drop players that don’t fit his system. Agains it’s easier when you don’t have the superstar.

We all know which players aren’t ETH players but yet he continues to play them.

1 is our captain the other is on £350 a week.

It might have been Palace B team but it’s noT by chance we managed to score 3 goals.

Drop these technically shite superstars or he’s not making it to Xmas. We will continue to lose.
So all we need is a worse squad and we'll play better? Good thing we have ten Hag then, he's well on his way to ensuring that with his transfers.

stw2022

He needs to be braver in his team selection. The issues he's facing now have been slowly rumbling towards us for some time. I still think we're not that far away from clicking but he needs to be honest with what he's seeing and not rely on player status of reputation

Matt851

Duds. Wijnaldum, Loris, Keita, Oxlade, Minamino....

The audience is still out on Nunez and Gakpo, but even he's not playing them so....
Klopp wasn't even the most important person at Liverpool in terms of transfer decisions so this is all slightly missing the point.

It was much more evident klopp was building to something than it is with. Even with a worse squad on paper and much less financial backing

Rednotdead

I’m not entirely sure the players want to play and fight for him.

is there something else behind the scenes, because I’m seeing no motivation at all in the players?

Mainoldo

So all we need is a worse squad and we'll play better? Good thing we have ten Hag then, he's well on his way to ensuring that with his transfers.
I mean this is the issue. The evidence is always clear but fans don’t know what they are seeing half the time.

flappyjay

Garnacho does it and I respect him a lot for it. Bruno on right, capablenbut rarely play there. Sancho is supposed to but doesn't want to. Rashford takes holiday and goes on a soft strike if played on right. Were a mess.
The poster is asking why it's not part of our tactics. It shouldn't be just because Garnacho prefers cut backs. Its obvious thats its an instruction for other teams not just a players preference. Let our wingers and fullbacks know that cut backs are our preferred way of creating chances from out wide. The players attacking the box would also be expecting a cut back as they run into the box. Then maybe have Hojlund as the only one looking for tap ins.

GreatDane

He needs to make some big decisions or he'll be gone by winter.
Rashford especially needs to be cut from the team and Bruno isn't doing much good for the balance either.
Either Ten Hag is giving them enough rope so they can hang themselves or he's blind and they will get him fired.

Mercurial

The poster is asking why it's not part of our tactics. It shouldn't be just because Garnacho prefers cut backs. Its obvious thats its an instruction for other teams not just a players preference. Let our wingers and fullbacks know that cut backs are our preferred way of creating chances from out wide. The players attacking the box would also be expecting a cut back as they run into the box. Then maybe have Hojlund as the only one looking for tap ins.
I think cutbacks ARE on the menu, but our players / formations can't seem to pull them off bar Garnacho and bruno right so far. I don't think EtH ordered them to dead end or blind cross or headless chicken. Sancho should cutback like sunday snacks but won't, Antony always dead ends.

I blame players on this, we might as well go 442 with this useless wing play of ours.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
How's the crowd reacting at the moment, I read there were boos? Lose to Galatasaray and they'll turn as we'll be on the way out the CL early as possible

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It’s amazing that no matter who is in charge of this club, no matter how many billions we let them spend we still end up with what feels like a rotten squad going nowhere.

I think Ten Hag was a good appointment, but just can’t see him making it to the end of the season

Care_de_Bobo

We put in a terrible performance against Wolves on the first day of the season, next game he plays the exact same team and we lose.

In midweek we put in our best performance of the season so far and then he rings the changes for the next game against the same opposition, including dropping two of our goalscorers.

Totally baffling decision and highlights the fact that he doesn't seem to recognise good performances on the pitch, which is a real worry. I'm sure most of us would cut him more slack if he was trying something different, like trusting in the academy, and still coming up short. Playing the same out of form players and waiting for them to turn it around instead of dropping them and making them fight for their place is a terrible look and actually makes Sancho's actions seem a little more understandable.

I'm really not defending Sancho, but if Ten Hag doesn't start dropping players who deserve to be dropped, then he won't last until Christmas and not many will be sad to see the back of him.

Mainoldo

It’s amazing that no matter who is in charge of this club, no matter how many billions we let them spend we still end up with what feels like a rotten squad going nowhere.

I think Ten Hag was a good appointment, but just can’t see him making it to the end of the season
It’s because we expect managers to somehow be scouts and know everyone in world football. It’s not their jobs.

I’m sure we have scouts who could have told ETH Pedro Neto fits our team.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
For all the talk about injuries, that was his first choice midfield 3 and 2/3 of his first choice front 3. Yet, once again, we look completely disjointed through midfield and attack. Zero movement and zero cutting edge. As usual relying on "moments" from individuals.

Same problem that has plagued us for years.

Judas

Open to offers
We've been desperately poor quite often this season. Put simply, if the manager doesn't make some brave selection choices, he's rightly or wrongly a dead man walking. It's not working.

The thought of once more starting again under this owners honestly makes me want to take a break from football. We're stuck in a never ending cycle of misery.

Jev

It’s because we expect managers to somehow be scouts and know everyone in world football. It’s not their jobs.

I’m sure we have scouts who could have told ETH Pedro Neto fits our team.
Our scouts were skeptical of Antony. ETH chose to overrule them.

IncyWincySpider

The Bruno/Mount situation is very strange. They are competing for the same position but one has just been made captain and the other has just been bought as the marquee summer signing, so both have got to play.