Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 533 53.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 472 47.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looks completely out of his depth but this squad is absolutely shit. The whole club needs to be gutted on and off the pitch.
Can’t deny he’s a big reason for the squad being shit, pretty much all of his signings apart from Martinez are currently looking like big wastes of money.

gaffs

Can he be sacked?

Feels like he has insulated himself from the sack by signing so many of his own players.

Which manager is going to want to come and take a squad with more Eredivisie experience than title challenging experience?

statpadder

Not his fault when Dalot goes to sleep. I mean wtf is that defending for the first goal. He literally has just one job and he looks at Almiron and decides nah feck it, I’ll just jog back.

I feel for Eth today.

Shinjch

Feels like the beginning of the end for him at the club now. The cycle continues.

BorisManUtd

Most of them got sacked after getting knocked out early in League Cup. Van Gaal in 2015/16, Mourinho in 2018/19 and Ole in 2021/22. All 3 at Old Trafford as well. Know it doesn't mean much but it's another pattern and cycle with United and managers.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The two greatest managers of this generation, both of whom had already proven themselves at the top level. Try again.
And who also looked good and looked like they knew what they were doing from the offset when they joined City and Pool.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The two greatest managers of this generation, both of whom had already proven themselves at the top level. Try again.
Arteta is neither of those things and has been at arsenal 4 years. Turned them around after being given time.

Telsim

He has lost the dressing room.

He is done here. Copenhagen next week will be his last game.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
And who also looked good and looked like they knew what they were doing from the offset when they joined City and Pool.
I know Liverpool fans who wanted Klopp sacked and couldnt see any sign of his supposed ‘heavy metal’ football after finishing 8th. Pep was nowhere near a title in his first year.

Jezpeza

Whats the excuse for not being able to give Newcastle reserves a game at home?

Swedish_Plumber

He bought quite a few of them. Mount Antony and Casemiro for a cool 200m. Maybe that is on Murtough?
There are still a good too many that have been allowed to gather new contract after new contract and are a common denominator in a few managers finding players giving up on them.

You can’t expect different results from the same guys over a long period of time. They’ve shown they’re not capable of it.
We’ve built a squad over a period of years that’s is comically bad. Just not good enough. That’s on the clubs hierarchy as it’s spanned several managers.

This football is shite though and I don’t see him lasting. And as much as I despair at another round of the the same shite cycle, I don’t think I can argue too much about it happening.

TrueRed79

If he doesn't sling Dalot at HT after that shite, then he deserves to get sacked in the morning. I'm being deliberately OTT, but point stands.

AndySmith1990

Except from city and Liverpool, who have had their managers for 7 and 8 years each, backing them after initial dodgy periods. Hasn’t worked out badly for them.
Liverpool were playing brilliant football soon after Klopp took over, they just had a shite defense and leaked goals. They just kept getting better once he made some signings. City the same

There is literally no positives to Ten Hag. We don't resemble a team at all. Everything is broken, and his signings are shocking

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Our players are definitely better than what he has them playing. That is a simple fact.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We have created virtually nothing at home this half and v City. Our attack is embarrassingly bad.
Yes, we have been absolutely woeful in the last few matches and the season as a whole has been shocking. That being said, I don't think ETH can be deemed a charlatan or anything of the sort as it ignores context and his very recent managerial history. What I will say is that he absolutely lacks courage.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This didn’t start with ETH. We still have Mourinho signings. a Solskjær signing still starting games for us. What’s the point in trying to play a certain style when you have halve of the players that can execute it and the other halve that can’t.

Roboc7

Can’t deny he’s a big reason for the squad being shit, pretty much all of his signings apart from Martinez are currently looking like big wastes of money.
He inherited a shit squad, has spent loads of money and it’s still shit.

astracrazy

Say we sack him tomorrow and bring in zidane. There’s an upturn in form for a few weeks, before the players again can’t be arsed. Sack zidane and repeat.

Ten Hag needs to be allowed to be seen as long term by these frauds, and if they don’t pull in the same direction then they’re the ones leaving and not him.
Zidane :lol: he wouldn't touch the job

Eddy_JukeZ

Last 37 games including this one and our GD is 0

And people have the shame to say Pep/Klopp had periods like this too

This is horrific

el3mel

Because I don’t think he’s among the largest reasons for our poor season. How can he be when those 4 factors are having a direct impact on results?
What factors ?

Glazers gave him ton of money. No one told him to splash 60m on Mount and 70m on Antony. They overpaid to please him.

Players ? These players were the ones who finished 3rd with him and won that glorious League Cup people keep praising him for last season. Now they're the problem ? So basically a win is thanks to the manager and the loss is thanks to players.

Injuries ? The nature of our injuries scream lack of fitness due to the awful preparation for the season which, guess what, is his job.

Bad luck ? Bad luck might make you lose one or two matches but not be utterly shit every single game against any opposition even relegation fodders.

He's absolutely one of the biggest reason for our awful season.

podurban2

Yeah he is the main reason for it being shit. 400m pounds this man was allowed to waste.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Not his fault when Dalot goes to sleep. I mean wtf is that defending for the first goal. He literally has just one job and he looks at Almiron and decides nah feck it, I’ll just jog back.

I feel for Eth today.
But his fault for selecting such a weak midfield.

TsuWave

I mean at what point do you realise the players are just shite. EtH obviously has problems and wasted so much money but The vast majority of these bums we call players have got rid of 3 or 4 managers now because they can't do the basics right.
This is largely a Ten Hag squad now - and not the same collection of bums that got rid of 3 of 4 managers before, though some are still around. My point remains

podurban2

What factors ?

Glazers gave him ton of money. No one told him to splash 60m on Mount and 70m on Antony. They overpaid to please him.

Players ? These players were the ones who finished 3rd with him and won that glorious League Cup people keep praising him for last season. Now they're the problem ? So basically a win is thanks to the manager and the loss is thanks to players.

Injuries ? The nature of our injuries scream lack of fitness due to the awful preparation for the season which, guess what, is his job.

Bad luck ? Bad luck might make you lose one or two matches but not be utterly shit every single game against any opposition even relegation fodders.

He's absolutely one of the biggest reason for our awful season.
This, so tired of having to explain it over and over.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Can anyone who knows more about football than me, and that's a lot of you, tell me how Erik has gone from a season that was at the very least satisfactory (third and a cup, could we realistically have wished for better?) to this mess? We were by no means perfect but the basics were there more often than not last year and we hopeful of building this year, now we're all over the place from a tactical perspective and if anything worse than that from an attitude/application standpoint. How has it got so bad that he just looks to be waiting for the sack, as nothing he tries is making any positive difference whatsoever?

talking robot

Don't think he's close to being fired even if we lose tonight. If in two months it's still this bad and Sir Jim has come in, then maybe.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[
This didn’t start with ETH. We still have Mourinho signings. a Solskjær signing still starting games for us. What’s the point in trying to play a certain style when you have halve of the players that can execute it and the other halve that can’t.
He’s had over a year to coach these players, they are professional international footballers. Even the players he’s brought in look shit. Blaming the odd player he’s left over with is no excuse.

Lentwood

Say we sack him tomorrow and bring in zidane. There’s an upturn in form for a few weeks, before the players again can’t be arsed. Sack zidane and repeat.

Ten Hag needs to be allowed to be seen as long term by these frauds, and if they don’t pull in the same direction then they’re the ones leaving and not him.
It's got nothing to do with players 'not being arsed'. You are being conned by clueless pundits who revert to saying that because they're clueless and emotional.

Our problems here are tactical. We're a total, utter shambles - and that's down to one person, and clue, it isn't Joel Glazer!

talking robot

Can anyone who knows more about football than me, and that's a lot of you, tell me how Erik has gone from a season that was at the very least satisfactory (third and a cup, could we realistically have wished for better?) to this mess? We were by no means perfect but the basics were there more often than not last year and we hopeful of building this year, now we're all over the place from a tactical perspective and if anything worse than that from an attitude/application standpoint. How has it got so bad that he just looks to be waiting for the sack, as nothing he tries is making any positive difference whatsoever?
He signed the wrong players and we haven't moved forward while the teams around us have. We used to have SAF who did both recruitment and coaching. Ten Hag is only a coach, not a DOF/Coach hybrid like SAF. If he was the dominant voice in identifying targets, that's the simplest explanation for why we got it wrong (and have been getting it wrong since SAF left).

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Players have downed tools, same as the last 3 managers. Matter of when not if he is gone.

Can't wait to see them play their socks off for the new boss for the rest of this year and then decide they hate him too at some point in 1-2 years.

Becoming more predictable than the old RAWK boom bust cycle.

sammyhol

Micky Grey on Talksport the other day said he is good friends with a United 1st team coach….

and after the city game he asked this coach what the dressing room was like after the city game. “ETH must have been going nuts, no?”

coach - “No. We aren’t allowed to shout at the players.”

no wonder we are so soft and passive.

Cathy Ferguson

There's probably an argument to be made he's a capable coach and tactician when in the right environment, but not really striking me as someone with the personality or drive to lead a complete culture change when his back is up against it. The job would be a monumental task for anyone at the moment, feels like a select few would really be able to turn the club around.
Dutch peo
There are still a good too many that have been allowed to gather new contract after new contract and are a common denominator in a few managers finding players giving up on them.

You can’t expect different results from the same guys over a long period of time. They’ve shown they’re not capable of it.
We’ve built a squad over a period of years that’s is comically bad. Just not good enough. That’s on the clubs hierarchy as it’s spanned several managers.

This football is shite though and I don’t see him lasting. And as much as I despair at another round of the the same shite cycle, I don’t think I can argue too much about it happening.
Murtough must also leave of course, maybe our head scout also. We need people with experience from the big clubs in Europe.

Robbie Boy

This

Don't do it to yourself lads, you're going to go round in circles for years on end

Bring in a new manager - buys rubbish players - gets a good season or 2 - turns to rubbish - gets sacked
Yup, groundhog day until we change our structures.