Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 365 44.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 458 55.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ColvaleGoa

I have calm down a bit after last night, but not a great deal!
What good will sacking the manager do, who would we bring in? would it make any difference ? they would still have to use the same pool of players.
The summer transfers were IMHO shocking and did not add to the squad.
We are clueless in all departments.
Something needs to happen, but sacking the manager, not sure that's the right route to take.
Agree. I don't know what will sort the current malaise but sacking EtH is not the answer.

Godfather

I don't understand how anyone would think that this team properly coached couldn't do a better job than they are doing now. Yes we need a DOF, yes our ownership structure needs to change but we look absolutely lost out there and that's on the manager. With the money he spent we should he doing much much better

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
tonight 7 of these “dogshit” players were who he has brought to the club.

what exactly do you mean? People keep saying it as though it’s a team he’s inherited when by large it’s a team he’s created.

The only players getting a clean slate are who many would consider our best two, Bruno and Rashford.
Maguire, Dalot, Lindelof, Martial are previous manager signings. Casemiro and Reguilon are club signings.
So thats basically 6 players we can start thinking of moving on. 7 if you include McTom.

We generally sign 3 first team players every season so it won't be unreasonable to expect 4 of these to leave and promote some youth players into the squad.

If we get a new manager in, these players will spend another season playing above their level, finishing in top 4 and land new contracts. They will revert to their usual levels after that. There's no point getting a new manager now with these players in the squad. All underperformers, serial losers (except for Casemiro who is just getting old). They are too comfortable here.

The only problem here is we will sign more crap to replace them. Which crap do we choose?

justsomebloke

We are now at the point where there's not really much left to say about the team's problems and shortcomings, but also too early for a change in management to be seriously considered. So we enter the long and painful wait for something to change, with a steadily dwindling hope the change will be an upturn in performance.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There’s pain that leads to adaptation and growth and then there’s pain for the sake of pain. This feels like the latter.

Laurencio

I’m kind of sick of sacking managers at this point. As much as I think it’s not working with ETH, I would rather just keep him just to prove a point to the players.

Players sucked - Ole sacked
Players sucked - Rangnick left
Players sucked - ETH also about to be sacked?

There’s one common denominator here but no one wants to feck them off.
We all went to feck them off, but it doesn't help when the manager brings in replacements who aren't up for it and abandons the principles we hired him to implement. Give Ten Hag 400M more to build a squad - will that 800M squad of his be capable of challenging? Will he be capable of getting them to perform to the highest of their sporting potential?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We all went to feck them off, but it doesn't help when the manager brings in replacements who aren't up for it and abandons the principles we hired him to implement. Give Ten Hag 400M more to build a squad - will that 800M squad of his be capable of challenging? Will he be capable of getting them to perform to the highest of their sporting potential?
This.

Rista

We actually do unless We address that this cycle of mediocrity would continue to occur , but all this should happen irrespective of manager in charge if they aren't upto it Replace them but this squad needs complete gutting and there should be no Holy Cows focus on bringing well rounded highly technical young hungry players capable of adapting to most systems and raise the talent quotient of the squad so that coaches or manager doesn't have to be all and end all .

And direction needs to driven by higher Ups and the owners they would need to take immense financial hit but it seems it's the only way which hasn't been tried burn it all down to build it up .
I don't disagree that we need many changes but if we bought smart, we already would have replaced a significant amount of players just under Ten Hag alone. But it is increasingly looking like we've bought more dross on big wages than anything else.

Roboc7

I have calm down a bit after last night, but not a great deal!
What good will sacking the manager do, who would we bring in? would it make any difference ? they would still have to use the same pool of players.
The summer transfers were IMHO shocking and did not add to the squad.
We are clueless in all departments.
Something needs to happen, but sacking the manager, not sure that's the right route to take.
It’s pointless sacking him but it’s also pointless allowing him to continue. The club is such a mess it no longer matters.

Gordon S

We´ve had a large turnover in the squad last ten years. We have lots of new players now. Eriksen, Mount, Reguilon, Casemiro, Höjlund, Antony, Garnacho, Hannibal, Amrabat, Onana..
These players were not here to sack our former managers.

Darlington Padgett

It was quite damning for ETH that our players seem clueless even when they are trying. We were pressuring them hard in the second half but had absolutely no idea how to create chances.
This was happening last season too, we get to the final third and everyone stops moving. Every player is covered and not a single one of them is moving to create space for another player or to receive the ball. We are only able to create chances when we're countering or from a one of those balls that Bruno produces out of nowhere. We've had a coach for set pieces for 3 years and we can't score and can't defend either, what exactly is he coaching?

flappyjay

It was quite damning for ETH that our players seem clueless even when they are trying. We were pressuring them hard in the second half but had absolutely no idea how to create chances.
After the game he said "It's a matter of time before we show our true selfs" . To which I asked myself who are we as a team on the field. The only way we get out of this is through a Rashford purple patch.

arthurka

One of the few players that we had that would give his all every game. Man of match in some of our best performances last season. Yes, it was a mistake to sell him, add it to the list.
No it wasn't he was a erratic passer who had a good engine. He was never good enough for a top team in the league. Going out to replace him with Amrabat and Mount was the mistake. We have clearly lost what sight of what a great Utd midfielder looks like.

Smores

I don't understand how anyone would think that this team properly coached couldn't do a better job than they are doing now. Yes we need a DOF, yes our ownership structure needs to change but we look absolutely lost out there and that's on the manager. With the money he spent we should he doing much much better
Happens every time we go through a manager, just the standard cycle of people who can't fully accept a managers failings.

We were all excited for ETH, good manager or not he's not been up to the task here, it's as simple as that. A new manager with new ideas will get more out of this team that's certain from this low bar.

Obviously we don't just want better we want a manager who leads us to silverware but you don't keep a bad manager due to fear the next one won't be top.

He'll be given a few more games to prove his talents otherwise bye ETH and onto the next.

gajender

I don't disagree that we need many changes but if we bought smart, we already would have replaced a significant amount of players just under Ten Hag alone. But it is increasingly looking like we've bought more dross on big wages than anything else.
We can't mitigate the damage that has been already done but atleast try not to repeat the mistakes going forward .

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Aye, we are currently playing at a level so low that it's impossible to truly believe that we cannot get any better. Our performances this season have been so inept that his job would be in danger at a club that's distinctly mid-table let alone a supposed big club that provided him with 400 million to spend on his own targets. We are miraculously on 15 points in the league because we got several lucky escapes.

He'd be sacked from Wolverhampton for this level of football.

Lentwood

The reason we are struggling so badly is simply tactical, and that's on ETH.

He has some incredibly strange ideas about football that don't make logical sense. He wants to play transition football, but we don't press high / commit properly to a press.

He wants to play long balls into a CF and play off the second ball transitions in-behind the opposition midfield, but we don't have this luxury at United because, for all we are rubbish, teams still set-up against us as if we are a top side. So every team from about 6th down won't commit significant numbers forward and won't be caught out like this. The vast majority of teams at OT will have a double defensive pivot that doesn't move for 90-minutes.

Back on the subject of the 'press', that really baffles me. We don't commit to it. There's a total lack of numbers. Surely as part of your basic coaching badges now you cover sweeper keepers and tucking full backs into midfield. The reason you do this is to allow your entire team to play higher and commit more players to the press.

We bought a so-called sweeper keeper but for some reason, he now all of a sudden remains rooted to his line. Our defensive line still sits deep, we don't have a player go and join the single midfield pivot and as a result, the minute opponents break our weak four man press (bear in-mind, most teams will have four defenders, a goalkeeper and two CMs vs our four pressers), they gave acres of space to break into. They don't even need to commit numbers forward really so it's low risk.

I don't understand it. I don't understand this weird nothing of a press. The goalkeeper is rooted. The line isn't high, we don't commit numbers to it and it just leaves us badly exposed.

Mike Smalling

His problem is we overachieved last season and it raised everyone’s expectations for this one.
Hardly. Even if we had gotten 10 points fewer last season, and didn't win a cup, this start to the season would be considered unacceptable considering the money he has spent.

Judas

Open to offers
We look tactically clueless, but I'll never truly forgive how many teams, not just ours, will pretend that basic football knowledge has left their head when they're bored or stop believing in a manager. These players aren't as bad as their effort suggests, that or they're more mentally troubled by being at this mess of a club than we realise.

Gordon Godot

The reason we are struggling so badly is simply tactical, and that's on ETH.

He has some incredibly strange ideas about football that don't make logical sense. He wants to play transition football, but we don't press high / commit properly to a press.

He wants to play long balls into a CF and play off the second ball transitions in-behind the opposition midfield, but we don't have this luxury at United because, for all we are rubbish, teams still set-up against us as if we are a top side. So every team from about 6th down won't commit significant numbers forward and won't be caught out like this. The vast majority of teams at OT will have a double defensive pivot that doesn't move for 90-minutes.

Back on the subject of the 'press', that really baffles me. We don't commit to it. There's a total lack of numbers. Surely as part of your basic coaching badges now you cover sweeper keepers and tucking full backs into midfield. The reason you do this is to allow your entire team to play higher and commit more players to the press.

We bought a so-called sweeper keeper but for some reason, he now all of a sudden remains rooted to his line. Our defensive line still sits deep, we don't have a player go and join the single midfield pivot and as a result, the minute opponents break our weak four man press (bear in-mind, most teams will have four defenders, a goalkeeper and two CMs vs our four pressers), they gave acres of space to break into. They don't even need to commit numbers forward really so it's low risk.

I don't understand it. I don't understand this weird nothing of a press. The goalkeeper is rooted. The line isn't high, we don't commit numbers to it and it just leaves us badly exposed.
Yep, I am no tactician but the flaws are obvious and clear again last night. Every match the same. Its shocking. He has lost it. its over.

Gordon S

Hard to fathom that this lot competed and went neck and neck with Barcelona last season, we actually managed to beat them over 2 games and it didn´t feel like daylight robbery at all.
How do you go from that to seeing average players like Joelinton look like the lovechild of Pele and Rijkaard when playing against us.

Have a similar feeling of chock as when we went from 2 place and EL final in Oles second season to that steaming hot pile of dogvomit that we were after the summer.
What is happening in the summers..??

OrcaFat

But why? Why is United so special? We're hardly the first fallen giant. We haven't even fallen as much as some big clubs of the past have. We still more or less regularly finish 2nd or 3rd. We don't need a rebuild from the ground up to at least play some decent football.

Where this "policy" of sacking underpeforming managers has landed us might as well be higher than if we had stuck with any of the past managers. Really, which manager we should have stuck with? Don't you think there's a danger of creating an even bigger mess that way. That's exactly the point of asking questions right now, not because we're impatient for success.
Who cares at this point.

OmarUnited4ever

Yeah I was just about to say how many players does that actually leave us with,think it's Onana,AWB,Martinez,Shaw,Kobbie,Garnacho & Hojlund which is seriously damning
Absolutely and to be fair Shaw is alright for me purely for his ability to be the best LB in the PL, Martinez did too well and got injured and the rest are just young players, most should leave and it's doable

ElDiabloRojo

He has lost the dressing rooms of overpaid assholes, I can't think of any other reason for that performance. They just didn't try with any heart.

Judas

Open to offers
Whats his record like when his team are shitting the bed and losing every week? Does he even know how to turn a period of form like this around? To be honest, he doesn't inspire me much anymore, I don't bother with his interviews half the time as I don't care what he's going to say, because its waffle, he doesn't practice what he preaches.

He's a weird little guy, works well when you're winning, but when you're losing?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Summed up: I am a fighter, and we will turn this around.

And even more baffling, he said: You could see that the players tried their best.
So effectively he said the players are shit? After signing most of them? Got it...

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably that the plan was executed well.
Aye...that's what i am not hoping for.
Summed up: I am a fighter, and we will turn this around.

And even more baffling, he said: You could see that the players tried their best.
Yeah, his post match comments of late, is getting more and more baffling/delusional. Shame, i was "all in" on Erik :(

Godfather

Aye, we are currently playing at a level so low that it's impossible to truly believe that we cannot get any better. Our performances this season have been so inept that his job would be in danger at a club that's distinctly mid-table let alone a supposed big club that provided him with 400 million to spend on his own targets. We are miraculously on 15 points in the league because we got several lucky escapes.

He'd be sacked from Wolverhampton for this level of football.
One think I will say though: it seems we always have the same players downing tools if things don't go their way. Players like Rashford for example. It might be necessary to get rid of those before letting another manager in. They might perform for a couple of weeks or months and when they had it with the manager start sulking on the pitch again. I'm sick and tired of that.

ifightdragons

One think I will say though: it seems we always have the same players downing tools if things don't go their way. Players like Rashford for example. It might be necessary to get rid of those before letting another manager in. They might perform for a couple of weeks or months and when they had it with the manager start sulking on the pitch again. I'm sick and tired of that.
Couldn't agree more. Get rid and cash in.

Should have been done three years ago.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Sack him, he’s too good a coach to be tarnished at United due to the ineptitude of the owners and the lack of structure at the club.

ElDiabloRojo

What were his post match comments last night?
"I'm a fighter, and I know it's not always going up and we have a lot of setbacks this season so far, but you also have to deal with it and it's never an excuse."

"I have said before, when there are setbacks, the routines, the way of play are not similar, not the same, but even then you have to get the results in."

"Obviously, Sunday and tonight was far from that. We have to do things right, at a certain level, a minimum level to win games."

"I understand [the scrutiny]. When the results are not there then there is a logical process questioning that. I am confident I can do it. I have done it at all my clubs and also last year, I did it here as well."

"But at this moment, we are also in a bad place. I take responsibility for it. I see it as a challenge, I'm a fighter, I am in the fight and I have to make sure I share the responsibility with the players that we stick together, fight together and get better results in."

"Everyone has seen, it's below the standards you can expect from Manchester United,"

"It's not good enough by far. We have to put things right and I take responsibility for it. It is my team and they are not performing. But I have to share it with my players but I am responsible.

"As a team, we are not good enough and whatever the reasons are, there is no space for excuses. We have to do things better, we have to raise our standards otherwise you never get the right levels and you never get the performance and you never get the result.

"The results are not there, it's a process, the confidence goes down. Therefore, you are Manchester United and it's expected that you can deal with that pressure, so it's normal. Play football but they (the players) have to understand we do it together and everyone has to take responsibility for his own performance and the togetherness for the performance.

"What I mostly heard is they are backing us. We don't deserve it in this moment, but they are backing us. They are behind us and we are pleased with that and we are in good times with them and now in bad times, I am happy that they are behind us."

crossy1686

career ending
Sack him, he’s too good a coach to be tarnished at United due to the ineptitude of the owners and the lack of structure at the club.
:lol: Yeah, he's so good he signed players he has doesn't know how to use, despite working with them before. No big club is going to touch him after this, he's a laughing stock.