Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 391 45.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
We will be having the same conversation in a couple years about his replacement now the glazers are staying and the same again a couple years after that. Rinse and repeat.

My only Eric

I think the major reasons his tactics is not working is that he doesn't consider the effect of having our wingers stay wide.
If you rewatch most our games this season, you'll notice that when Hojlund wins a header, there's no one around him to receive the ball or win second balls. So he gets crowded out.

Ten Hag tries to make up for this by pushing our midfielders way up, and also expects the fullbacks to join in the attack. This leaves us with one dm and two cbs trying to stop opponent counters.

He needs to have the wingers play close to the striker, then our fullbacks can push up and the three midfielders can play in midfield. We would have more possesion and would be less prone to errors. Of course that means we would lose some transition ability but the improved possession would more than make up for it.

EI Beatle

Fulham A
Luton H
Everton A
Newcastle A
Chelsea H

With 2 CL Away games in the middle of them, I can't see him lasting beyond Christmas

sugar_kane

His biggest failure has been not managing the narrative. He should be singing from the rooftops about our injury crisis or our misfortune with VAR & reffing decisions.

Klopp is the absolute master at this and it's helped him and the players navigate through plenty of tricky moments over the year. It's not even a year ago that they saw only 1 point in four league games. After ten games they only had one point more than we do right now.

As a Premier League manager you're not just a coach but a spokesman, and he's been awful at this aspect this season.

His biggest problem right now though his is bewildering approach to rotation, it just makes him look clueless and the players will lose all faith in him after seemingly being ready to run through walls for him at certain points last year.

He had a chance of keeping dressing room control since so many players were signed under his tenure, but he seems to even be pissing off some of these guys right now. Carry on like that and he has no chance.

That comment about not being able to play the Ajax way while true was also a disgrace, Moyes & Jose-esque.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
" There is simmering resentment among certain players towards teammates. Some players are also unimpressed with the general direction of the club as its strategic review enters a 12th month."

Barring the strategic review - we've seen this under every manager.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Fair enough - so you see the position he's in. As you say, he can't come out and say they are all cnuts, but if he offers faint praise, those who want him to come out angry and call the players out will be enraged. If he says it's down to him, which he just did, then people say 'aha... then you need to be sacked'

I think he probably should just resign, refuse any pay off and therefore any obligation to remain silent, and then speak his mind about the whole shit show that is the former big football club, Manchester United.

LVG, Jose and Ragnick all told us the club is a shadow of what it should be behind the scenes, and all of were dismissed as 'being bitter about being moved on'.
Gary. I very much doubt he is going to resign. He is obviously a proud man and believes that he is going to turn things round.

And as you rightly point out, LVG, José and Rangnick are hugely successful and experienced people.... all saying the same thing.

I am optimistic about the Jim Ratcliffe situation. He has been doing an audit of the whole football structure and people. Doesn't take a genius to know that it is not fit for purpose.

Whether it is Ten Hag or someone else, they clearly need a lot of help.
And that help has got to come from highly experienced highly capable people. Not the shambles here now.

And so that has to happen quickly because we can not carry on like this.

The morning after and it just feels like a matter of time now before the inevitable. ETH must feel like a guy on death row, waiting to enter the execution chamber. It’s hard to believe we are back here again, just waiting for the next manager to be sacked. We had such high hopes for the season, but it’s unravelled within weeks. Very sad and it certainly isn’t all his fault, the club is a circus.

marktan

As I said, the moment he decided to sign Mount for 60m, he was off. He already spunked 80m on Antony, you cannot be so terrible in the transfer market and get away with it. It effects the team.
Hojlund and Onana aren't as bad but still wild overpays that don't really help the team much.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
" There is simmering resentment among certain players towards teammates. Some players are also unimpressed with the general direction of the club as its strategic review enters a 12th month."

Barring the strategic review - we've seen this under every manager.
Those United players should realise that they are the problem.

Here we go. We've seen this all before, at least 3 or 4 times.
Yes, it’s clear that some of the players have decided they want ETH gone. They are basically sulking during games, telling the world how unhappy they are. Rashford is the most obvious example, IMHO. He is a disgrace just now, not even trying.

Shark

@NotShark
If Fulham beat us well on Saturday now, I can't see him staying beyond that, but I could be totally wrong.

Oranges038

I like this idea of wholesale change of 30 new players in the squad before making an impact.
It's what has to be done, this squad isn't physically or technically good enough to deal with challenging for trophies. Outfought, outmuscled and outplayed almost every week.

That's not on the coach or the manager, the sad part is that for all the money spent the players for the most part just aren't good enough. Only a massive turnover of players and bringing in the right profile of young hungry, intelligent, hard working, technically excellent, quick and physical players will we see any change in the long term. Forget about winning games this week and next weel, focus the attention on building a squad that can compete in 2/3 years and then maintain that over several seasons.

spiriticon

Yes, it’s clear that some of the players have decided they want ETH gone. They are basically sulking during games, telling the world how unhappy they are. Rashford is the most obvious example, IMHO. He is a disgrace just now, not even trying.
There's a sadistic part of me that just wants to hang on to ETH forever to piss these players off royally. We'll probably spiral close to relegation but you know what, I am really starting to think that relegation is the restart that we need.

These worthless 300k a week prima donnas can all activate their relegation termination clauses and eff off, the Glazers can eff off, and we'll play a total youth team in the Championship and let's rebuild from there.

Redstain

That was probably the most uninspiring post match interview. "stick together" he says. Its so obvious he has no idea how to fix this. Matter of time now really.
Standards he mentioned but the issue is the team is toothless tactically. It would be like a microwave malfunction and the repairman comes round and says it's not maintaining industry standards while leaving the property without addressing the issue. Erik doesn't inspire confidence when he comes across in the media so it's most likely amplified with the players.

Born2Lose

Ten Hag's shown himself to be an awful man manager. His favouritism of underperforming players has only served to make his position more difficult because it's now clear under Ten Hag, that there is a glass ceiling at United.

Genuine, meritocratic competition for places is at the core of team sports. It's a huge part of what made SAF successful and why Howe is doing so well now at Newcastle.

Reputation, age do not matter, performance levels matter.

Competition also separates the wheat from the chaff, if we didn't already know it then Sancho's child like tantrums show you why City and Liverpool had no interest at the "bargain" price we signed him for.

I don't like Gary Neville, but he had it correct last night when he said that when things go wrong United's players aren't professional and instead become petulant.

Rodgerzzz

It's his reluctance or stubbornness to move away from how he's decided we're playing this season that's baffling me & I'm sure a good handful of other fans the most.

We've got our fair share of injuries which is fine and goes some way to explaining the issues with keeping control of the game out from defence. But why we persist with a single pivot at DM when it's clear that any team can waltz through our midfield at will the moment the DM has to cover space elsewhere. If I can see that as a casual football fan, how on earth can ETH not see it.

So the obvious answer is just adapt surely? We've got Maguire & Lindelof in defence, they might not be good enough but for god's sake at least give them some protection during this period they have to play. It's not like removing a forward player is going to hurt us, they're up to nothing either. Dalot being awful last night didn't help matters but that can happen & at least AWB is back to provide another option if required, who would've imagined thinking that a year or two back?

You do wonder whether the players think the same and have almost given up out of sheer frustration. It's no excuse to not put the effort in of course but they're caught out of position so often you start to think that the system really isn't adequate for the available playing staff, the players will know this.

Last season it was widely commented on about us playing the same starting eleven game after game. In hindsight this to me looks like another example of not being able to adapt the system to help the squad players come into the team, do a job and let the regular starters have a rest. This should've remedied to some degree in the transfer window, which is another rabbit hole of over indulgent spending that I'm not going to go into.

ETH has had a lot to deal with in his short tenure, and he rightly earned a lot of credit for last season as well the manner in which he dealt with the Ronaldo situation. Unfortunately it seems that is getting eroded. Yes the club has massive issues, we all know that but ETH's decisions seem like a coach increasingly struggling to adapt to the present situation. I feel for him, the club really haven't given him a platform to exhibit his best qualities but by the same token we are definitely witnessing his worst.

Saying to anyone they should get the sack is harsh and I like ETH and what he bought to the team last year, however I just can't help but think his race is run. To quote CJ the main character from GTA: San Andreas - "Ah S***, Here we go again..."

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What the players are feeling is completely normal. This would happen everywhere else, if you have ever worked under incompetent manager that you stopped believing in you know what it feels like. It's just basic human nature.

Stick them in a proper, functioning team under a competent manager and most of them would turn out to be quite good at football. Fergie would be finishing on 80+ points year in, year out with this team.

Stretfordender

Don’t worry Dave Brailsford will there on his bike soon enough to sort this club out. Dear dear me

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd call Antony a failure.

I think Malacia who came in as a 22 year old back-up LB is a perfectly fine recruit for £13m or whatever it was. I disagree on Licha, think he's brilliant but had terrible luck with the injury. Onana is 27 and yeah I agree he has some major goalkeeping flaws. He's improved a lot of late but I can sort of see your worry there.

That said, dont' think that's a waste of £400m. And I think the bigger failure is on the footballing lot above him to not have targets of their own to put down.
Onana has shown these flaws everywhere he has been. He isn't a good goalkeeper. A couple of years ago his name popped up in the transfer forum and I vaguely remember a poster from Cameroon laughing at the link saying he's terrible and they watch him to see how many feck ups he can make in a single game. Look at how he saves shots, its usually into the danger area, its unorthodox. I will be flabbergasted if he is a long term success here because he should have ironed out these flaws years ago.

He also is very slow at going down to save shots, almost as if he is too heavy

Castia

This always happens. People start finding ways to invalidate the good stuff. You don’t need to do it. We finished 3rd because we had a great spell of playing decent winning football. We dropped off at the end but still managed to hold off Liverpool and to catch Newcastle who were in the box seat for 3rd.

3rd is 3rd just leave it at that. Having said that, it’s true we haven’t played well since before the cup win and we’ve been terrible this season. It’s easy to make a damning case without making excuses for anyone who gets beat by us or finishes below us. It’s not necessary.
I get what you’re saying the league doesn’t lie but if Liverpool and Spurs are anywhere near their best we will always be struggling for top 4. It was a massive boost seeing them and Chelsea absolutely bomb.

I get your point though he did finish third so I won’t hold it against him.

Mainoldo

I get what you’re saying the league doesn’t lie but if Liverpool and Spurs are anywhere near their best we will always be struggling for top 4. It was a massive boost seeing them and Chelsea absolutely bomb.

We remain the easiest club to manage. How you spend the money and manage the team we define your stay.

Ole as crap as he was got to numerous finals and semi finals and finished in the top 4 twice. He’s a bum of a manager.

The moment people realise the easiest thing is to get United into top 4 we might have a bit more self respect on who we back to stay here.

We want to win the league and Champions league. That’s takes a special manager or a better set up. We have neither. So let’s atleast start searching for special managers.

Jordan_mufc

His point is that our points tally last season has been enough for top 4 in 13 of the last 15 seasons. Meaning Liverpool'a form is slightly irrelevant as it would have been an anomaly if we didn't make top 4 with that tally.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
feel badly for EtH b/c the players dont look like they give a flying feck
If you don’t integrate you create divides and a disconnect. It’s a skill in itself to keep a squad’s morale high, and by sidelining so many of them for so long, not only are they not match sharp, they are antsy, nervous and unsure of themselves.

So it’s not just a case of passion/caring will see us over the line.

AlexMG

It is very difficult for us to improve without serious changes in the club.
There is a huge difference in quality between players, there is no competitive environment. Especially the contribution of our offensive players is very little.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Most of them are probably quite thick though.... so unlikely they will come to this reality
Very fair point.
As a life long supporter of Manchester United, albeit at a distance, I am feeling very depressed about the state our football team is in.
Possibly yet another manager facing the sack.
The results are awful, as is the criminal waste of money spent on the likes of Sancho, Mount and Antony. As well as Onana to a degree
The whole squad is full of mediocre players, probably all on extortionate wages delivering appalling performances.

And I really did hope that Ten Hag was going to be successful.

Red00012

Fair enough - so you see the position he's in. As you say, he can't come out and say they are all cnuts, but if he offers faint praise, those who want him to come out angry and call the players out will be enraged. If he says it's down to him, which he just did, then people say 'aha... then you need to be sacked'

I think he probably should just resign, refuse any pay off and therefore any obligation to remain silent, and then speak his mind about the whole shit show that is the former big football club, Manchester United.

LVG, Jose and Ragnick all told us the club is a shadow of what it should be behind the scenes, and all of were dismissed as 'being bitter about being moved on'.
He’s not going to resign :lol:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
His biggest failure has been not managing the narrative. He should be singing from the rooftops about our injury crisis or our misfortune with VAR & reffing decisions.

Klopp is the absolute master at this and it's helped him and the players navigate through plenty of tricky moments over the year. It's not even a year ago that they saw only 1 point in four league games. After ten games they only had one point more than we do right now.
It's easier to manage the narrative when you've strongly competed against City in multiple seasons (including winning a title with almost 100 points) and you are coming off a 3rd CL final in your tenure.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Unfortunately I don't see top 4 as a realistic prospect at the moment. City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle and Villa are way way ahead of us at the moment.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Calmed down a bit after the weekend and today. I think we should stick by ETH because I don't want these dogshit players to get another clean slate. I would throw these fecks out first and then decide what to do with the manager.
Ridiculous suggestion. It'll take years to sell and replace these players and probably over a billion in transfer fees. It's just not going to happen.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Calmed down a bit after the weekend and today. I think we should stick by ETH because I don't want these dogshit players to get another clean slate. I would throw these fecks out first and then decide what to do with the manager.
Agree. It's time to do something different rather than repeat previous mistakes once more.