g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ArmaDino

Blame it on the structure and give the manager a pass. No matter how bad is the structure, United spend alot more than other clubs for the last 10 years. I think Erik was given his targets, he wanted Mount, Onana, Martinez, Antony, Hoijund, Malaccia, Erik and Amrabat. That's eight new players for Erik and he knows these players. This is not as if these are unknown quality to him. He should be able to put up a decent team but yet we get beaten by other teams easily. If structure will help us, then anyone can be a manager.
Replace ETH with any other manager we've had since Moyes, and the sentence is going to be exactly the same. All the managers have been backed to the tune of 400 million and yet all of them have failed to implement their playing style.

You know what else all of these managers had to say? The fact that we are not run like a proper football club, but like a PR firm, and yet this part gets overlooked. Go figure

crossy1686

career ending
I have to say, I'm in agreement with Goldbridge & Sam at United People that sacking wont help matters & we would undoubtedly suffer in the immediate aftermath.

Look, I've heard from a few usually reliable sources now that a bigger problem than ETH is actually STEVE MCCLAREN, hes created a toxic environment on the training ground & is something of an arsonist in that no sooner has Ten Hag stepped in to solve whatever problem exists between McClaren & a player, McClaren is off creating problems with another player & his ego is such he wont have his authority questioned. Alot of the players cant understand why Ten Hag has stuck with him especially as many people in the dressing room are aware that it is McClaren who is leaking the stories to the press - again causing trouble for the players who are under suspicion but completely innocent. Its really REALLY two faced & nasty of McClaren to go about things that way but the general consensus is that McClaren actually thinks he has a chance to replace Ten Hag one day, so much so that he is prepared to push the manager who brought him back to the club under a bus. McClaren needs to be gone & a new coach employed.

I repeat guys, its McClaren who is leaking stories to the press. Scumbag.
It takes a lot to top some of the absolute bollocks I've read on here but this is right up there at the top of the tree. If you believe that is true for more than a second then McClaren simply wouldn't be at the club. As if the mighty Ten Hag would allow himself to be undermined by the bloke he hired. Jesus fecking wept.

crossy1686

career ending
The players can smell blood then.

Feck the lot of them. How many times do we have to go through this "the players turn on [insert current manager]" nonsense? Sell them all and start again.
Article: The players have been treated badly and they don't like it, some have raised concerns about the treatment of others.

Caf: feck these players throwing the manager under the bus...

I'd love to know how many people just accept unfair treatment of themselves and others in the work place.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Equating being sensible to backing the current manager says it all about the manager ****.

Yeah

Already a legend in my eyes !! For God's sake, can't believe we finally knocked these cnuts out from a European competition. I'm so sick of continuously losing to them.

Ten Hag is a legend of a manager and I don't want to ever hear a bad word about him again.

Yet before that post and sudden love you didn't like him.

Maybe just relax and decide what it is you really think before just spamming us with your whims?

black country red

The personal attack on ten hag by clueless was absolutely disgusting pot calling the kettle black Erik should sue the cnut and the nasty right wing rag who he writes for

crossy1686

career ending
With everything going on, you'd think he'd just dismiss the Rashford thing as someone going out for a few hours with friends on his birthday and nothing 'wrong' was done. He can tell Rashford it's unacceptable but why tell the press that? Using the word 'unacceptable' is just making more issues for himself .

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I have no idea what point you are trying to make with this post (or where your article quotes starts or stops). But yes, Overmars was their DoF and quite good at that job. But he didn't make the team play well or win. They didn't win the Dutch league a few years, and while Ajax won the league multiple years in a row before that under De Boer, fans deeply disliked the play style, and they were hopeless in the CL. It makes zero sense to suggest that Ten Hag was simply a puppet during his time at Ajax, and you will find no-one in the Netherlands who shares that view.
They finished second the season before. Lost only 3 games and missed out by one point. They were just seeing their young players come through who were going to turn out to be top class players and far, far too good for Eredivisie. Think they missed out on the League by 1 point in that season and also reached the EL Final, where they lost to us.

They were already way on the up before he arrived, dominating possession must games. I had a look through a handful of games and they were having around 70% possession in the league. They had that part nailed down.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah he completely failed to win us a trophy….
No I mean he completely failed to get us on a 30 game unbeaten run at home…..
No sorry I mean he completely failed to get us a top 3 finish…..
No sorry I mean he completely failed to perform well against top European opposition like Barcelona…..
feck sorry no I mean he completely failed to deal with Sancho, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Antony and Rashford issues… wait….

Yeah he’s absolutely shown no signs of being a competent manager let’s all fellate frostbite and make them
DOF/Supermanager.

Casemiro at the point of signing was widely considered a world class DM because he is/was.

I think your posts have been absolutely shocking on this issue a real world class car crash of a performance.
Manchester United just don’t play well, last season Rashford was just running alone and scoring goals alone but opposition defences have adapted since. Only Arsenal got caught by this « tactic » this season. What is ETH plan B? I mean give the ball to Rashford and dribble and shoot is the plan of Bryan 12 years old on Fifa.

crossy1686

career ending
What is the Rashford thing, does anyone want to provide context.
Some of his mates arranged a night out at ChinaWhite in town on the night of the City defeat, which also happened to be his birthday. Stayed out late, seems he/someone drove there and back as his car was pictured out the back of the place, no accusations of him being drunk or anything. Had training the next day. Ten Hag's issue seems to be that he had training the next day so staying out late isn't allowed.

el3mel

Yeah

Yet before that post and sudden love you didn't like him.

Maybe just relax and decide what it is you really think before just spamming us with your whims?
If anything that proves I don't have an agenda against this guy. I'm totally sensible, because I'm evaluating based on results and nothing else. Results good he stays, results shit he gets the feck out of the club. Meanwhile you equate being sensible to blind faith and support to the manager even while being shit.

Not to mention I remember this post was when we knocked out Barca and I hate them more than I like Ten Hag anyway. I was in great mood getting one over them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Others have also said it, but this post is really hilariously bad. Ajax was doing quite poorly when Ten Hag arrived and he completely turned that around (after needing a while to get going). In doing so, he did not simply implement 'the Ajax template'; his football was much more vertical and less possession-focused than is usual for Ajax. If that's all just Ajax being Ajax, then why wasn't Ajax being Ajax before as well? Or why weren't Overmars and Van der Sar hitting it out of the park already?

It's also an incredibly simplistic view of Antony. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you meant it as funnily as it reads. Plus, Van der Sar was not much involved in the football side, and turned the club into a car crash after Overmars and Ten Hag left. So if anyone else deserves praise here for Ajax's successes, it's definitely not Van der Sar.

Clearly Ten Hag is doing poorly right now, and transfer strategy is probably not his forte (but why should it have to be? it shouldn't be the manager's role); but claiming he wasn't responsible for Ajax's football is, frankly, insane.
For the record, I disagree with the post you quoted and think he did a good job at Ajax, but why do we need to rewrite history?

They finished 2nd, a mere point behind champions Feyenoord and got to Europa League final (with the youngest team to ever make it there, by some distance) the season before.

They weren’t struggling, he didn’t join a team that was doing ‘poorly’ and completely changed their fortunes. He took over a team that was doing well, was very young and clearly on upwards trajectory and helped them take the next step.

brother ant

I think Erik’s biggest mistake was buying Onana and then not following up with another CB, RB and a CM who can also play out from the back. There is only Martinez, shaw and Eriksen who I trust to be able to receive the ball in risky situations from Onana and evade the press, even then I have seen Eriksen get caught a few times. Unfortunately Martinez and Shaw both being out means we are left with a GK not as good as De Gea and not able to use his best asset and now we are not seeing any kind of structure in our build up play.

Hopefully they get fit soon as I believe that will help a lot but we need RB RCB and CM who can freely come and get the ball from Onana for things to really change.

I also think we must be the unluckiest team in world football right now. It seems every ref decision, every VAR (ball out of play, offsides, pens) call goes against us. There has been some truly shocking calls. Then every time the opponent shoots it seems to be right in the corners giving Onana no chance or he is making a mistake.

Hoping Erik can turn it around starting with any kind of win today.

Matt851

I have no idea what point you are trying to make with this post (or where your article quotes starts or stops). But yes, Overmars was their DoF and quite good at that job. But he didn't make the team play well or win. They didn't win the Dutch league a few years, and while Ajax won the league multiple years in a row before that under De Boer, fans deeply disliked the play style, and they were hopeless in the CL. It makes zero sense to suggest that Ten Hag was simply a puppet during his time at Ajax, and you will find no-one in the Netherlands who shares that view.
I guess the point night be that it was a massive overreach for him to think he could come to united and then take on responsibility for identifying all our transfers when he didn't even do that at ajax.

A lot of people seem to be saying its not his fault our football department is a mess but I don't buy they couldn't have come up with a broader list of targets (beyond those who have played in Holland, or those who are with thr same agency) if they were asked to. He clearly has a preference for players he has worked with before, and also seems to be a pretty poor judge of players e.g antony

Judas

Open to offers
Went out to celebrate his birthday even though we lost to City. Think he was out till early hours.

Not going to lie but I thought players were allowed to do things like this after games on the odd occasion. Used to happen under Fergie.
Some of his mates arranged a night out at ChinaWhite in town on the night of the City defeat, which also happened to be his birthday. Stayed out late, seems he/someone drove there and back as his car was pictured out the back of the place, no accusations of him being drunk or anything. Had training the next day. Ten Hag's issue seems to be that he had training the next day so staying out late isn't allowed.
Cheers.Sure all this fuss will help motivate him to perform :lol: :(

sepulturite

I don't give a shit what he had at Ajax either good or not, that's for himself only. I only care about one thing and that he has been exposed as a fraud at Man United.
Ah give it a rest with this fraud bollocks ffs, it's pathetic. That word should be banned on here I swear.

Where are you from anyway? You have some serious issues with ETH it's verging on being proper weird. Do you have a dart board with ETH picture on it?

The Urban Goose

Article: The players have been treated badly and they don't like it, some have raised concerns about the treatment of others.

Caf: feck these players throwing the manager under the bus...

I'd love to know how many people just accept unfair treatment of themselves and others in the work place.
Unfair treatment? What's being reported isn't exactly workplace harrassment or bullying.

There's an old adage along the lines of "If everyone you meet is an idiot, maybe the idiot is you". Maybe the players should look at themselves for once. What exactly do they want?

Mourinho: "He's too strict, we don't like him"
Ole: "he's too soft, we don't like him"
ETH: "He's too strict, we don't like him".

Besides, I haven't seen any reports of ETH doing anything that Klopp, Pep or even Fergie haven't done in the past, and their dressing rooms seem to have had the strength to carry on in the face of "unfair treatment ".

Players have been treated badly? Cry me a fecking river.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe the players should look at themselves for once. What exactly do they want?

It has been said multiple times, but it bears repeating, there are few players from Mourinho's squad remaining. Shaw, Lindelof, Rashford, Martial, Dalot, McTominay from Mourinho's last season.

11 of the 20 most used players this season arrived in the last 3 summers: Onana, Casemiro, Hojlund, Eriksen, Varane, Antony, Mount, Amrabat, Martinez, Reguilón, Evans.

It doesn't make that much sense to talk about "the players" as some kind of singular entity, not in this context. Not with the dramatic changes from the past years.

erikcred

Unfair treatment? What's being reported isn't exactly workplace harrassment or bullying.

There's an old adage along the lines of "If everyone you meet is an idiot, maybe the idiot is you". Maybe the players should look at themselves for once. What exactly do they want?

Besides, I haven't seen any reports of ETH doing anything that Klopp, Pep or even Fergie haven't done in the past, and their dressing rooms seem to have had the strength to carry on in the face of "unfair treatment ".

You are so so close to figuring out the difference between ETH and the other three. I'm sure you'll get there soon.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not even sure why people think players didn't like Ole because he was too soft. Is that a tabloid thing?

He lasted an 'average' term as United manager (close to 3 years) and the team played decently under him until things fell apart; they were not fixed by a change in manager.

The Urban Goose

It has been said multiple times, but it bears repeating, there are few players from Mourinho's squad remaining. Shaw, Lindelof, Rashford, Martial, Dalot, McTominay from Mourinho's last season.

11 of the 20 most used players this season arrived in the last 3 summers: Onana, Casemiro, Hojlund, Eriksen, Varane, Antony, Mount, Amrabat, Martinez, Reguilón, Evans.

It doesn't make that much sense to talk about "the players" as some kind of singular entity, not in this context. Not with the dramatic changes from the past years.
It does, because the players are interchangeable but the pervading culture remains.

crossy1686

career ending

You do realise that it's the squad that think the manager is an idiot by all accounts?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don't give a shit what he had at Ajax either good or not, that's for himself only. I only care about one thing and that he has been exposed as a fraud at Man United.
Is klopp also a Fraud? Took over Liverpool in 2015 and still only they have 1 premier league title. They had a really poor season last year and this season they look 100 times better. A lot can change within a year. What do you thinks gonna happen if we get a new manager? We’ll win a couple of games and everything will look rosy but guess what… things are still bad. It starts with the board and the structure of the club . Guardiola will probably struggle here. Under Ajax who have a proper structure he shined.

Matt851

Is klopp also a Fraud? Took over Liverpool in 2015 and still only they have 1 premier league title. They had a really poor season last year and this season they look 100 times better. A lot can change within a year. What do you thinks gonna happen if we get a new manager? We’ll win a couple of games and everything will look rosy but guess what… things are still bad. It starts with the board and the structure of the club . Guardiola will probably struggle here. Under Ajax who have a proper structure he shined.
Yeah but he is also making a bad fist of a difficult job, he has pushed for the players he wanted and they have mostly been poor. There is zero development in terms of style play to give us any faith he is building towards something and his press conferences are becoming increasingly detached from reality

Dazzmondo

It was Rashford's birthday. He shouldn't need to feel bad for going out. Don't agree with ETH calling him out, especially in the press. Someone needs to have a word with ETH about his press conferences. Completely unnecessary Sancho comments, nonsense about not having the players to play the way Ajax did despite buying players he specifically wanted, and now this. Rashford's a good professional so he'll probably accept this the right way, but again it's not needed right now

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Is klopp also a Fraud? Took over Liverpool in 2015 and still only they have 1 premier league title.
Klopp has achieved reasonable targets in every full season bar the last one. Ten Hag is already at serious risk of not achieving reasonable targets in his second full season. It's not a flattering comparison.

I mean c'mon. In Klopp's first CL season with Liverpool, he took them to the final. In his second CL season, they won it. United under Ten Hag are at serious risk of crashing out in the group stage. It's worlds apart.

3KDré

Becoming harder to defend him. I am not sure how you can fall out with Varane. He's been here a year now and still can't see McT is no DM. What is he doing?

RuudtheRed

I see nothing wrong with Ten Hag's decision and stating the facts. Even if it's a birthday celebration, it makes for woeful optics having your star player out at a nightclub so soon after the derby defeat to Man City. I respect that Rashford has taken it professionally unlike Sancho/Ronaldo, but the players aren't doing Ten Hag any favours even in terms of maintaining simple discipline. It's infuriating.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Klopp has achieved reasonable targets in every full season bar the last one. Ten Hag is already at serious risk of not achieving reasonable targets in his second full season. It's not a flattering comparison.
It isn’t just last season when Klopp struggled. After winning the league they were abject for over half a season, losing 7 straight home games and a 7-2 away loss to Villa. They looked every bit as shit as we look now and it took winning the last 12 games of the season to sneak into the Champions League. Oddly enough they had feck tons of defensive injuries too. Weird. Maybe it does have an impact?

Woodzy

He’s going full Mourinho. Seems to be falling out with everyone and making bizarre team selections.

Matt851

It isn’t just last season when Klopp struggled. After winning the league they were abject for over half a season, losing 7 straight home games and a 7-2 away loss to Villa. They looked every bit as shit as we look now and it took winning the last 12 games of the season to sneak into the Champions League. Oddly enough they had feck tons of defensive injuries too. Weird. Maybe it does have an impact?
Yeah but klopp had already built up enough goodwill by winning major trophies to convince people it was something he could overcome. Ten Hag doesn't have that

No one in there right mind is comparing ten hag to klopp right now

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't understand the Varane situation at all. It's as if Ten Hag wants to freeze him out but we have literally nobody else who can play CB, so he can't even do that properly and has to put him on the bench.

No idea why else he'd be fit enough for the bench consistently, but somehow not starting over Jonny Evans in whatever year this is.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
It was Rashford's birthday. He shouldn't need to feel bad for going out. Don't agree with ETH calling him out, especially in the press. Someone needs to have a word with ETH about his press conferences. Completely unnecessary Sancho comments, nonsense about not having the players to play the way Ajax did despite buying players he specifically wanted, and now this. Rashford's a good professional so he'll probably accept this the right way, but again it's not needed right now
Agree

Skills

Snitch
When a manager loses all semblance of objectivity it's been game over for a while.

It's been the case with ETH for ages. We see it with Antony week-in week-out, and now you're seeing the same situation with Varane