Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 564 53.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 46.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Zora

Anyone who wants us to sack this man now needs to rethink

Without that red card, we would have won that game comfortably

If we weren't fecked over by injuries especially defensively, what would have been?

This is the same man that brought our trophy drought to an end and now that he's experiencing a crisis, we want to axe him

What sort of loyalty is that?

Imagine if we had the same sort of patience with Fergie, what would have (not) been?
I don’t think we should sack him but this post is silly. Football in 2023 is a result’s business and Ten Hag is no Fergie.

Our issues are deeper than the manager though.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Today is not a day to blame him. If we play Galatasaray and Bayern the way we played out first 40 mins with XI men, I think wel be fine.

But it's correct that he should have navigated prior games better.
If pigs float the same way they do after throwing themselves off a cliff, they'd be called pigeons

Redstain

Anyone who wants us to sack this man now needs to rethink

Without that red card, we would have won that game comfortably

If we weren't fecked over by injuries especially defensively, what would have been?

This is the same man that brought our trophy drought to an end and now that he's experiencing a crisis, we want to axe him

What sort of loyalty is that?

Imagine if we had the same sort of patience with Fergie, what would have (not) been?
Ferguson became the best manager to grace the game, so you might as well say that Erik given 5 years will have to undoubtedly become better than Pep / Klopp and most managers in Europe if that comparison has any merit.

The club doesn't owe the manager loyalty, the manager like any position of employment has to prove himself and earn his credentials. I genuinely think the result was unlucky looking at the context of the game. The team played well for 45 mins which was a theme of last season, it's not something that is praise worthy because it's a low bar.

The game is a game of two halves either way and in boxing the term for these fighters is referred front-runners who box well for 6 rounds then fade for the rest of the fight. So like boxing football isn't 6 rounds it's the equivalent of 12, you have to be good in both halves to be consistent.

Dannn411

Making individual errors and then panicking twice is not on him
Didn't see many individual errors tonight tbh. Maybe the Varane failed clearance for the 4th goal. Just a total breakdown of team cohesion because of the loss of one player. That is a massive indictment on the coach. I mean we've literally had so many examples of top teams going one man down this season so we have many reference points. To concede 4 goals to a team that would be mid table at best in the PL because of the loss of a player who wasn't even a defender is ridiculous.

Superunknown

He's...a little bit like a bad luck charm. Nothing he seems to do seems to go right at the moment.

I don't think it's his fault we lost tonight. That red card decision was a farce and out of his control. The penalty decision was out of his control. The events that led to the corner that led to the third goal, and the defending that ensued were out of his control. But, saying all of that, there's a lot of negativity around the club, like a cloud. It's hanging over us. Whatever happened tonight, we're still bottom of our group and doing poorly in our domestic league. It's not looking good.

RedRocket9908

If he is still in a job this time tomorrow something is seriously wrong behind the scenes, the fact that we lost our RW to a red card and he changed absolutely nothing to accomodate for it shows how out of his depth he is at this level.

Walters_19_MuFc

Again, all hindsight, but wonder if he could have gone 4311, as I mentioned in the match day thread, when we went 3-2 ahead?

Obviously, he can't help the stupidity of some of our players, but a midfield of Mount, Amrabat and Hannibal would have given us legs, which would have potentially pushed them back.

To me, we invited too much pressure onto our back four, and ten Hag should know we've not been any good defending leads, so we may as well push on and try and get another, or at least be harder to play against.

Having said that, to concede four, regardless of whether we were down to 10 men or not, is pretty ridiculous. Must do better!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Hard to draw too much from that game in isolation. They were really shit, like I've seen teams in the Championship look more assured on the ball. They were properly bad tonight and we had control just rolling around at the back etc. On the other hand, 2 goal lead against a really poor team on the night, go down to 10 men... should you concede 4 goals? Should we lose, especially when we go ahead again? In the 441 shape we should have been defensively sound.

Also, bringing Mount on as a false 9 when you need 3 points? That was a bad decision to me. As was defending incredibly deep at times in the second half. That 4th goal our players were all over each other in the 6 years box and their player peeled into the space and was completely free.

But at the end of the day, bottom of the group which features two vastly inferior teams, as very poor after 4 games. That's really shocking, and on another day we could have drawn against these at home if they converted the pen. We're playing fine margins against even the worst teams.

We can talk about VAR but we got a gift with the pen and their two big decisions weren't robberies. Both gave the ref a big decision to make.

Ace of Spades

Not blaming him for the result per se, but it is worrying how easy we are being beaten. The lack of draws is also worrying, shows that we tend to collapse at the first hint of things looking tough.

Marwood

He's just unlucky. If we just believe, pray and sing United Road a couple more times, in 5 years he'll do a Sir Alex. Or maybe not.

Some of you are yet to see the light but it'll come.
We're talking about tonight, which was for the manager an unlucky one.

The season as a whole is a different thing.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
His inability to change things, tactical inflexibility/naivity and his stupid substitutions are the worst things about him.

It'll cost him his job.

edgecutter

Whether you think he can turn this around or not, the fact that he bought Anthony and Mount for nearly 140 million should be a sackable offence.

ArmaDino

Bottom of a group consisting of Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

Sack the clown.
We literally finished bottom of group under SAF consisting of Benfica, Villareal and Lille. The other time we finished 3rd in group consisting of Basel, Benfica and Otelul Galati ffs.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His record in the big away games, and I class this as one as its in the biggest club competition in football, is fecking shite.

raind

You could appoint a young Fergie to this shit show and nothing would change. Until the heirarchy of the club, from ownership to all the board and senior leadership, is completely replaced, it does not matter who coaches the team

Cerberus

We're out if Europe anyway (most likely) sacking him would do us no good at this point in time.
Why would being out of Europe mean he should keep his job? It's not like any new manager would win us the Champions League anyways.

CM

People can say tonight wasn't on him. We shouldn't have lost on balance but there's no resilience in this team and that has been a theme under his management. We've haemorrhaged goals in the majority of games this season. That's on him.

Steffa Barnesa

If he is still in a job this time tomorrow something is seriously wrong behind the scenes, the fact that we lost our RW to a red card and he changed absolutely nothing to accomodate for it shows how out of his depth he is at this level.
Shades of Nani's red card v Real there. Mourinho instantly made tactical changes.

seasidedaz

So if he is sacked will this be like 2 years ago appoint another temporary manager until the end of the season. Sick and tired of it its rinse and repeat time and time again. So not to far off to when ole was sacked.

Skills

Snitch
Ferguson became the best manager to grace the game, so you might as well say that Erik given 5 years will have to undoubtedly become better than Pep / Klopp and most managers in Europe if that comparison has any merit.

The club doesn't owe the manager loyalty, the manager like any position of employment has to prove himself and earn his credentials. I genuinely think the result was unlucky looking at the context of the game. The team played well for 45 mins which was a theme of last season, it's not something that is praise worthy because it's a low bar.

The game is a game of two halves either way and in boxing the term for these fighters is referred front-runners who box well for 6 rounds then fade for the rest of the fight. So like boxing football isn't 6 rounds it's the equivalent of 12, you have to be good in both halves to be consistent.
We should hire a 16 year old apprentice. We could have a manager for 50+ years! That'll keep our fans happy

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why would being out of Europe mean he should keep his job? It's not like any new manager would win us the Champions League anyways.
Might as well keep him so we could have a proper replacement strategy, as others have said do you really trust the Glazers to make the appointment this time around?

Dan_F

Wolves first game of the season (Shaw / Martinez fit) set the tone for this injury changes the dynamic argument. Injuries do have an effect but a fully fit eleven doesn't significantly raise the team's performance levels. Anyone watching games over 90 mins can see this, I'd imagine it's 50 x worse when assessing the team live because you'd be able to see the movement and shape which hasn't worked.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting we’d be miles better with a few players back, but you’d be mad to think we couldn’t have a few extra wins with them in the team. And that would make a big difference to the narrative and pressure.

Just look at today’s game, you’ve got clear examples of how simply having a full back on the left would help. That first goal wouldn’t be scored with Lindelof at left back, like we had for a big run of games, I doubt the third is scored with Luke Shaw at left back.

3KDré

Playing with 10 men for 60 minutes and conceding 4 goals in those 60 minutes to a vastly inferior team.

Once plan A doesn't work, we seem completely lost, we collapse. This is on the manager.
Have a day off

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Didn't see many individual errors tonight tbh. Maybe the Varane failed clearance for the 4th goal. Just a total breakdown of team cohesion because of the loss of one player. That is a massive indictment on the coach. I mean we've literally had so many examples of top teams going one man down this season so we have many reference points. To concede 4 goals to a team that would be mid table at best in the PL because of the loss of a player who wasn't even a defender is ridiculous.
:lol:

glasgow 21

On this point, I still can't believe he hasn't focussed on good RB and LB in the transfer windows that he has had. Very naive and piss poor planning in his recruitment.
This can be up there with the most idiotic of comments ,well done.

MattofManchester

I don't think any other manager at a top 6 team has to deal with the amount of individual errors as the players we have make.

Even fecking Copenhagen don't make as many mistakes as our defenders and midfield make.

The entire backline is just a mistake waiting to happen.

Chairman Steve

He’s very much in the realm of having no complaints if sacked.

On one hand his luck tonight is completely fecked. Evans got injured and he had to bring Varane who seemed to justify the reason why he’s benched and being down to 10 men most of the game, and we’re missing lots of defenders.

And on the other hand, we seem to completely capitulate when we concede and it’s not the first time. I just knew as soon as we went down to 10, we were in for a disaster just like Sevilla last season. It falls apart so easily and so fast.

He maddens me yet I feel for him. It’s really weird.

Shady

A collection of stupid players and a manager completely unable to positively influence and control a game is a deadly combination. Shocking game management once again.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Makes as much sense as your post, really.

Trying to extrapolate results from the rare patch of good play in a dreadful season is the stuff of scouser delusion.