Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 530 52.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 472 47.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

yfoFC

As you keep asking the same question, Fergie took over United in November when we were 19th in the league and finished the season in 11th place. Then in his first full season he finished 2nd behind Liverpool. Does this cover your 18 months period?
Fergie got lucky afterwards as he didn’t get sacked despite bad form in the league (you know maybe because of his good first almost 2 seasons at United, because of his work behind the scenes and because of his incredible and sustained success at Aberdeen), but if you just take the first 18 months then ETH actually doesn’t compare well and that is even before taking our pathetic goals scored and goal difference into account.
I am still blindly hoping he can turn it around but so far based on his time at United unfortunately absolutely nothing points towards a positive outcome.
And ETH took our very worst team ever to third in his very first year and won a trophy ending our 6 year trophy drought in the process and would have won another trophy if not for facing the best team in the world

yfoFC

You should try writing one where Erik is still united manager come summer. Because in fiction is the only place where he will be.
I'll do you one better and write it in reality because ETH will be here come summer. I say so with my full chest and you lot will hang your heads in shame at the end of this season

yfoFC

How is he trying to correct a decades worth of nonsense? It would appear he is adding to it. 9 losses in 15 is terrible form, you can't hide from that.

His run at the 2nd half of last season was great and I was fully on board. But, in this modern era of football results mean more than style and he's been crap at both this season. Not to mention he's had a full 11 players brought in for him. The results should be getting better, not worse.
I see the concept of ebb and flow and time cycles (peak vs volatile et all) are no longer taught in schools any longer

Let me put it in another manner, the only time your heart moves in a straight line on the monitor is when you're ....

Seems you lot are not truly living and believing real life should be fantasy football and proceed in a straight line

What utter drivel

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
And ETH took our very worst team ever to third in his very first year and won a trophy ending our 6 year trophy drought in the process and would have won another trophy if not for facing the best team in the world
:lol:
He took us from 6th to 3rd and mostly played awful and/or boring football. Hardly a miracle worker. But he for sure is a record breaker (Fergie can’t/couldn’t even dream of even coming close to ever breaking all the records ETH has already broken in such a short period, I will give you that).

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Can't even win against a Mickey mouse club. At this point I don't think we would do much worse without a manager tbh or perhaps using AI to set the tactics.

croadyman

I agree with most of that fella. I'm still open to ten Hag proving he can be the one to get us competing but who knows. He's got the rest of the season to convince Ratcliffe and co.
Yeah I don't think we are gonna see any signings under the new recruitment structure in January,therefore can't really judge if there's any difference until the summer window. We need to see more of a defined style of play at some point.

Erik does have to take some criticism for taking off Rasmus for Mount. The problem was he clearly doesn't trust Martial to lead line so no idea what the answer is

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Surely he doesn’t survive this? In many ways good teams make their own luck even when the chips are down.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The worst team came in 3rd and then 2nd the seasons before. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Surely he doesn’t survive this? In many ways good teams make their own luck even when the chips are down.
I am sure he will only be around because of the dead zone due to the changes in ownership. The final nails will be the Bayern and Liverpool back-to-back games.

RedOrange

Why is this guy such a fraud? I wanted to and I liked him but his decisions just leave me no other choice but to pray for his departure.

LvG vibes.
Oh come on. You've been on the ETH out bandwagon for over a year.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Today is not a day to blame him. If we play Galatasaray and Bayern the way we played out first 40 mins with XI men, I think wel be fine.

But it's correct that he should have navigated prior games better.
I think a lot of our fans have quickly forgotten how our team can easily fold in 2nd halves of games. Playing well prior to the sending off didn't guarantee we were gonna win.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’d still give him time. The team has been decimated by injuries. I’ll reserve full judgment for how we look a few months into having a near full roster to choose from. Obviously it’s not looking good for him that much is clear and his major signings floundering is a grave sign.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think a lot of our fans have quickly forgotten how our team can easily fold in 2nd halves of games. Playing well prior to the sending off didn't guarantee we were gonna win.
Also very true. We've hardly been a team of composure even last year. It's been a damning trait of ours since the Jose years when he'd park the bus to see out games.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He has no control over his destiny. Like the previous managers who were fired.

Has overstayed at this point. Time to go.

baskinginthesun

I see the concept of ebb and flow and time cycles (peak vs volatile et all) are no longer taught in schools any longer

Let me put it in another manner, the only time your heart moves in a straight line on the monitor is when you're ....

Seems you lot are not truly living and believing real life should be fantasy football and proceed in a straight line

What utter drivel
Ummmm.......what? I'm not the smartest person by any means, but, what in the name of drivel is this?

city-puma

We were so good until the red card and pretty good for a while after it. Then all turned to shit.
Evans was a big loss. I would fancy us win the game with him even though we were reduced to 10. Evans has been an on-pitch coach.

ash_86

I'm still willing to give him time. Tonnes of stuff has gone against us right from the pre-season, granted some are of his own doings. Hopefully we have a good second half of the season once we get back our defence.

Pyro19

You know it's bad when opposition fans are spending an entire day in this thread to convince us that the fraud is still the right man.

Ludens the Red

It’s pretty clear that Manchester United football club cannot basically lose every other game they play which has essentially been the case all season. He will be gone within six weeks.

erikcred

Liverpool after years of having the same coach and methods went from two games away from accomplishing the quadrable to playing dogshit the very next season

But suddenly it is Haram for ETH to experience a wobble even though he is trying to correct a decade's worth of nonsense.. you guys are just being very unfair to this man
Liverpool had an over-the-hill Brazilian midfielder at the heart of their team that shit season. They sold him, got the hell away from Mount, signed that Hungarian kid and MacAllister and now they're back.

What's ETH's plan for our over-the-hill Brazilian midfielder he signed for a ton of money just last year and Mount whom he splurged on but doesn't know how to use?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Solskjaer did more for us than Arteta has done for arsenal. Didn’t hear anybody saying he should be given more time.
Really? How do you work that one out. Didn’t Arteta win a trophy first time with Arsenal?

dogwithabone

I'm still willing to give him time. Tonnes of stuff has gone against us right from the pre-season, granted some are of his own doings. Hopefully we have a good second half of the season once we get back our defence.
Agree.

I felt sorry for him tonight. That was an excellent 40 minutes, probably the best I’ve seen from us since the Spurs game last season. We were moving the ball quickly and every pass in midfield was a positive, probing one, the link up play out wide was good too. Players like Eriksen, Garnacho and Rashford looked rejuvenated and then one refereeing decision blows the performance apart. We started the second half well too but with 10 men it was always going to be a testing last 15 or so minutes and so it proved.

Can always pick out individual moments that cost any goal but it just looked to me like a natural defending deeper to protect a lead and eventually just could not hold out.

ti vu

Agree.

I felt sorry for him tonight. That was an excellent 40 minutes, probably the best I’ve seen from us since the Spurs game last season. We were moving the ball quickly and every pass in midfield was a positive, probing one, the link up play out wide was good too. Players like Eriksen, Garnacho and Rashford looked rejuvenated and then one refereeing decision blows the performance apart. We started the second half well too but with 10 men it was always going to be a testing last 15 or so minutes and so it proved.

Can always pick out individual moments that cost any goal but it just looked to me like a natural defending deeper to protect a lead and eventually just could not hold out.
The issue is how ETH set us to defend deep is not good.

As soon as we scored 3-2, Hojlund should have been subbed out for either Mount (deployed as LW) or Lindelof (switch to back 5), so Garnacho would be move up top. Garnacho doesn't do defensively to help out when we're already one man down. Individual wise, it's solely on Dalot for inept man marking; but on tactical side, ETH almost set us up defending deep like with 9 men with Garnacho on LW not knowing how to drop deep and get involved.

When Hojlund eventually got subbed off after the 3-3 equalizer, strange enough Mount got deployed as CF/false 9. The whole thing is just bizarre.

Last edited:

ash_86

Agree.

Very difficult to manage when we are losing due to individual moments in matches. That has been the downfall the whole season and some ridiculous officiating. In terms of luck we're at rock bottom and surely it cannot go down any further.

AndySmith1990

The narrative about bad luck and refs being to blame that some are trying to push, is very rawkish and sad. Use your eyes and you'll see there are far bigger issues than refs and "bad luck"

Rednotdead

I’ve come to the conclusion that Ten Hag is one of those managers who’s very good when things are going well but hopelessly lost when they’re not.

Last night the team completely collapsed when Rashford was sent off. It didn’t need to, but clearly we didn’t know how to play with 10 men. Other clubs don’t collapse, why do we? Because Ten Hag clearly hasn’t schooled them in how to play with 10 men.

I’m done with him.

Rojofiam

Liverpool had an over-the-hill Brazilian midfielder at the heart of their team that shit season. They sold him, got the hell away from Mount, signed that Hungarian kid and MacAllister and now they're back.

What's ETH's plan for our over-the-hill Brazilian midfielder he signed for a ton of money just last year and Mount whom he splurged on but doesn't know how to use?
What does "got the hell away from Mount" mean, since both them and Arsenal were very interested in him?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Care to elaborate?
Check the Mount thread. Has been elaborated a million times. A manager who makes Mount his priority signing in midfield when it's clear to every man and his donkey that we need a different profile of midfielder deserves no mercy as such.

jamesjimmybyrondean

What pisses me off so much is how much money we’ve wasted under ETH. We’ve already gone through 2 summer windows and should be almost done with building a competitive team by now, instead we are struggling to get out of the cl group stage, 8th in the premier league, out of the league cup and still losing consistently to our rivals.