Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Thiagoal

One of the key things that stood out in the Newcastle game was just how physically strong and dynamic they were as a team. In almost every position their players were stronger and more dynamic than ours. Their midfield of Bruno and Joe completely outmuscled ours, their wingers are so much more dynamic than ours and Isak was a handful the entire game. Our squad on the other hand just seems to be deficient in players who not only have the technical ability but also are strong and dynamic in their play.
To be fair, this is exactly what Ragnick identified when he was here. Rather than listen, he got moved on and we bought in players that don’t have these attributes! This all boils down to incapable leaders

Gordon Godot

To be fair, this is exactly what Ragnick identified when he was here. Rather than listen, he got moved on and we bought in players that don’t have these attributes! This all boils down to incapable leaders
Whole football management needs to go and that includes ETH. What is ETH doing at this point? Apart from keeper not a single one of his signings started. McT now a mainstay.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think player power is absolutely a thing at man united and has been for a long time. I hate to think how toxic it is and we have been saying this for years now. We sold players that were accused of it but it’s very obvious that some still remain and the same shite is happening all over again.

makes me think about the Ronaldo situation. Players couldn’t really say much too Ronaldo as it’s Ronaldo.. so when he called out players/got fed up with them, he was the one exiled for it. fast forward and he looks even more right. He called it. He called these players out for what they are and were back here. AGAIN. Player power is very real at man united.
Which proves that it's important which players have power in a club. When it is those that are driven by success it usually isn't a problem

ForeverRed1

Which proves that it's important which players have power in a club. When it is those that are driven by success it usually isn't a problem
Exactly. These players are driven by their own agendas. Not the club. Not the team. Not the fans. They want it to benefit them and when it doesn’t suit them, they give up.

DomM

A manager who consistently picks Dalot, Mctominay, Rashford, etc, despite them being useless all season and squandering vast amounts of money on Antony, Mount Onana etc who have been less than impressive, deserves to get sacked, especially as we still have no style to our play, the team looks weak, scared and not in the slightest bit interested. I fully expect him to be gone during the season.

Robbie Boy

It's depressing that barring an odd spell here-and-there, our football has genuinely been absolutely pathetic for a decade.

Chumpsbechumps

It's depressing that barring an odd spell here-and-there, our football has genuinely been absolutely pathetic for a decade.
It’s crazy that some think all we need is the right manager. If it was that simple we would of even fluked a major trophy given the money spent.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He looked dejected last night after the final whistle, just standing there on the pitch on his own. I think he knows he cannot fix this and is ultimately just waiting for the sack.

It's going to be a brutal December - out of the CL, more away losses, further away from top 4. Oh and the piece de la resistance...a brutal thrashing from Liverpool. God speed fellow reds, its gonne be ugly.

sdb4884

ETH doesn't have a leg to stand on in terms of his future at United. His transfer picks, his tactics, his team selection now are all way way off. He won't see past the Liverpool game, they'll trounce us almost as bad as last season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He looked dejected last night after the final whistle, just standing there on the pitch on his own. I think he knows he cannot fix this and is ultimately just waiting for the sack.

It's going to be a brutal December - out of the CL, more away losses, further away from top 4. Oh and the piece de la resistance...a brutal thrashing from Liverpool. God speed fellow reds, its gonne be ugly.
Consistently picks Dalot, Rashford, McTominay and then wonders why things arent working.

<insert surprised pikachu meme here>

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ten Hag and Martial having ago at each other during the game. This club is toxic, everyone’s falling out with each other. No one’s listening to instructions.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly that.
Almost all our players with the possible exception of Maguire and Shaw are weak physically and mentally.
And without strength and attitude you will get nowhere.

Castia

He needs to go. The football is crap, we have no style what so ever and any team that’s coached to a decent level run rings around us, last night was a clear indicator of a team coached playing to a system against a team who are essentially clueless both in and out of possession.

This isn’t a one off we’ve been grinding out results since February last season. Scraping wins against Luton and Brentford isn’t cutting it for me.

He’s also lost the players you can see that in the performance. Public falling outs and players and those who were six choice a month ago suddenly starting every match.

His signings have been shocking. The money spent in the summer looks to have set us back years. I’m not even joking there’s huge question marks over Mount, Onana and Hojlund.

The bare minimum regardless of results should be a system of play, win or lose we should be working to a style of play and there’s absolutely nothing there, infact I have no idea what he’s trying to do he’s playing with essentially 2 number 10’s and 1 DM in a side that can’t string 2 passes together it’s amateur hour. Rival managers who study the game and live tactics/training on a daily basis must look at us and wonder what the feck we do in training all week it’s hilarious how shit we are

DJ_21

Was looking at our previous games against Newcastle and we leathered them 4-1 under Ole and dominated the game with like 28 chances at their ground. Starting to think we played much better under Ole. He’s the last time we won away to a top team.

ayushreddevil9

Funny how everyone shat on Rangnick last season when we were carried by 2 players on good form.

justsomebloke

We have seen good performances in the week against Everton and Galatasaray and you always want to play the perfect game every game but you have so many games in a short period you can also have a less good performance.

If he actually thinks the performances against Everton and Galatasaray were good, than that's a bigger black mark against him than the actual performances.

AndySmith1990

Funny how everyone shat on Rangnick last season when we were carried by 2 players on good form.
I never understood the hate Rangnick received. The man was a neutral who had no agenda; simply came into the club, assessed it, and told us what he thought based on what he had seen. Then we arrogantly ignore everything and carry on making the same mistakes as before.
Reminds me of when Mourinho warned us about Martial and Pogba and everyone ignored that too.
We just ignore what we don't want to hear until it becomes such a massive problem we can't ignore it any longer.

Von Mistelroum

I can't defend him forever. While I still think he'll come back to haunt us at another team, he's clearly not making even the slightest amount of progress and insisting on playing completely ineffective players every game.

The problems are:

A: I don't think he's going anywhere for a very long time. The Glazers won't want to sack another manager, and they won't want to pay him off.

B: whoever comes in will almost certainly default to playing Rashford, Martial, McTom and pals, and they'll do just enough at that point to stay in the team before going back to their usual lazy, cowardly ways. By then, the new manager will feel the same pressure to play them while they sit on their fat contacts and put in zero effort. The cycle continues.

C: Then that manager will also be useless and need sacking, while the players remain uninterested and the owners continue negatively affecting the club.

Robbie Boy

It’s crazy that some think all we need is the right manager. If it was that simple we would of even fluked a major trophy given the money spent.
Last night we started with players from Ole's era, LVG's era, ETH's era and Jose's era. We have assembled a mismatch of utter nonsense. The problems run deeper than any of our managers, but our managerial recruitment has also been a huge problem.

Robbie Boy

I can't defend him forever. While I still think he'll come back to haunt us at another team, he's clearly not making even the slightest amount of progress and insisting on playing completely ineffective players every game.

The problems are:

A: I don't think he's going anywhere for a very long time. The Glazers won't want to sack another manager, and they won't want to pay him off.

B: whoever comes in will almost certainly default to playing Rashford, Martial, McTom and pals, and they'll do just enough at that point to stay in the team before going back to their usual lazy, cowardly ways. By then, the new manager will feel the same pressure to play them while they sit on their fat contacts and put in zero effort. The cycle continues.

C: Then that manager will also be useless and need sacking, while the players remain uninterested and the owners continue negatively affecting the club.
I don't think he'll come back to haunt us, as I don't think he's at all cut out for the PL. I do think he's obviously better than the likes of Ole, and will likely go somewhere like the Bundesliga and do relatively well.

ayushreddevil9

I never understood the hate Rangnick received. The man was a neutral who had no agenda; simply came into the club, assessed it, and told us what he thought based on what he had seen. Then we arrogantly ignore everything and carry on making the same mistakes as before.
Reminds me of when Mourinho warned us about Martial and Pogba and everyone ignored that too.
We just ignore what we don't want to hear until it becomes such a massive problem we can't ignore it any longer.
Its just blatant short sightedness from many. The moment Utd takes 1 step in the right direction, everyone jumps on the "we are back" bandwagon. Just look at some of the threads like "3 points behind City", "Most inform team" etc. Just desperation.

This team is full of losers apart from the ones we signed from Madrid. The only consistency these have shown is being consistently shit. We are never winning anything significant with this squad.

I wish the Pep Guardiola is my idol we have listened to what Rangnick had to say.

Jev

Was looking at our previous games against Newcastle and we leathered them 4-1 under Ole and dominated the game with like 28 chances at their ground. Starting to think we played much better under Ole. He’s the last time we won away to a top team.
We did play much better under Ole. The only period of good football under ETH was two months leading up to the World Cup, everything else has been impressively uninspiring. People forget how terrible we were after January last season. It’s been almost a year of dead-end football, game after game with zero saving graces.

Last edited:

chocolate cloud

We are going to get destroyed vs Liverpool it's sickening. It's so predictable what's going to do happen. Double digits potentially? McLaren or someone with their eyes open needs to tell him to pack the bloody midfield. For the love of Christ drop mctominay, Rashford, martial, Dalot. They're catastrophically brutal. It's embarrassing to watch. Play Bruno behind the striker and put 4 midfielders behind him. I dunno what goes through ten hags head but I have zero faith he can win an away game vs a competent team. Sack him but also get rid of a lot of the crap in the team.

Hoof the ball

Rashford's relative age is/has been a problem.

He's mid-20's, which means that the manager will be strong-handed by the club to ensure that Rashford features in the first team for the next five years (at least). It's bad because it almost guarantees that we can't purchase in Rashford's position for a number of years because we'll never look to replace him. Whether ten Hag or whoever is next, they'll face pressure from the club to build a team around Marcus.

I think that ten Hag has been flat-out told from the beginning that Rashford plays and cannot be sold.

TheRedDevil2019

I'd sack him before he sells off key players like Varane, whom would cost us a further 70-80mil to replace, thus setting us back further when we could have used the money elsewhere.

It's plain to see ETH won't last, sack him now and at least salvage the season in the prem.

Baffling selection policy aswell.

Hopefully Ratcliffe is aware of the usual culprits in the playing staff causing issues and will bin them too.

El Presidente

I think we're perfectly allowed to question his management when he doesn't deliver himself.

I'm not sure if you have managed people yourself, but outing players/employees publicly is a very risky and a stupid move unless you are certain the player will respond to it. This very rarely work out well, even though the manager is "right".

What you want, is the player to go into "IMprove-mode" , but you end up with "prove-mode" (the player feels humiliated and is trying to defend himself)

It's industrial man-management, and it's a reason it's obsolete and almost never works.
The thing is that he was just answering a journalist question on Sancho’s absence, he wasn’t even being harsh to him. Just kind of gave him the truth. Sancho made it way worse with his response.

We are talking about the same manager, by the way, who allowed Sancho to feck off to the Netherlands mid-season on a personal improvement plan when he and his team badly needed his 350k/pw “star”. This gesture was quickly forgotten, of course. He was already way more lenient with this guy than he should have been imo.

DJ_21

We did play much better under Ole. The only period of good football under ETH was two months leading up to the World Cup, everything else has been impressively uninspiring. People forget how terrible we were after January last season. It’s been almost a year of dead-end football, game after game with zero savning graces.
Maybe because Ole was a soft touch which made the players happy so they played better. I don’t think these bunch of players take to kindly to discipline. Players like Bruno does as he’s said before this club needs discipline back. At the same time though you need a happy squad to be able to create a winning team.

Jaffa Cakes II

Supports
Scunthorpe United
So much magical thinking here - in no organisation in any field benefits from making changes without first, carefully identifying the problems asking are they organisational, financial, recruitment, scouting, leadership, managerial, or down to conflicting goals? This is followed, ideally, by establishing within the whole organisation that these are indeed the problems. Then you ask, how can we solve these problems? What do we precisely and concretely need? If at that point the consensus is that the problem is the manager you've triggered another set of questions. What isn't he doing? Can we make changes to help him do it? Only then do you go looking for a new leader. And for heaven's sake, not just by saying he's great, he's available, I like his football style (it might not be replicable in your organisation) or whatever but what is there on his cv to suggest he has the right skill set to solve the slate of problems we've identified.

Otherwise, you're back to doing what this once great club has been doing for a decade; rolling the dice, gambling, winging it, make a hugely expensive and disruptive change without an underlying analysis and strategy and hoping for the best. I wonder how long the new bloke will last? How quickly will the Caf be calling for his head? Who will replace him? More thought, less knee jerk.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah I don't think there's any doubt we were better despite him being a supposedly inferior 'coach'. Ultimately not good enough though.

crossy1686

career ending
People don’t like it when someone tells them something they don’t want to hear. Instead of thinking critically they react with anger and try to discredit the source. Rangnick wasn’t right about everything but he was right about a few things.

Chumpsbechumps

I don't think he'll come back to haunt us, as I don't think he's at all cut out for the PL. I do think he's obviously better than the likes of Ole, and will likely go somewhere like the Bundesliga and do relatively well.
Both can be correct but I think fixing the other issues are more important in the longer term. Managers should be able to come and go and the team shouldn’t constantly need a rebuild.

KeanoMagicHat

Mourinho’s alternative to Pogba and Martial was McTominay and Alexis Sanchez though, people forget that part.

KeanoMagicHat

The Fred-McTominay combo that got so much criticism actually provided a more solid base for the rest of the team than whatever it is that ETH has been trying to do this season. It obviously had it's limitations, but it's sad that I'm looking back at that combo and remembering it fondly. Even sadder that we sold the much better one of the duo, kept the lesser one AND are playing him in a position that doesn't work. Fred's sheer work-rate might have made it work a little better.
Ole’s team set up for the first few years with Casemiro instead of McTominay and Ronaldo not arriving and he could still be in the job.

ayushreddevil9

Mourinho’s alternative to Pogba and Martial was McTominay and Alexis Sanchez though, people forget that part.
Not at all. Sanchez was a club signing. Mourinho brought in McTominay but I still feel he did it to prove a point about him giving chances to youth.

Robbie Boy

Both can be correct but I think fixing the other issues are more important in the longer term. Managers should be able to come and go and the team shouldn’t constantly need a rebuild.
Yep absolutely. The notion of these perpetual rebuilds is nonsical. Remember the whole 'Ole needs 3 years' crew? Utter madness.

If we actually instilled a proper footballing structure with a DoF etc. and had a style, then we would be able to appoint managers that exclusively fit that philosophy. Instead, we have gone through a whole decade of appointmenting random managers, all of whom have delivered a really poor footballing style and bought poorly. I think the problems run far deeper than the manager, but I also don't believe ETH is the right man.

ayushreddevil9

The Fred-McTominay combo that got so much criticism actually provided a more solid base for the rest of the team than whatever it is that ETH has been trying to do this season. It obviously had it's limitations, but it's sad that I'm looking back at that combo and remembering it fondly. Even sadder that we sold the much better one of the duo, kept the lesser one AND are playing him in a position that doesn't work. Fred's sheer work-rate might have made it work a little better.
I thought i couldn't imagine a downgrade from McFred but here we are.

crossy1686

career ending
I think player power is absolutely a thing at man united and has been for a long time. I hate to think how toxic it is and we have been saying this for years now. We sold players that were accused of it but it’s very obvious that some still remain and the same shite is happening all over again.

makes me think about the Ronaldo situation. Players couldn’t really say much too Ronaldo as it’s Ronaldo.. so when he called out players/got fed up with them, he was the one exiled for it. fast forward and he looks even more right. He called it. He called these players out for what they are and were back here. AGAIN. Player power is very real at man united.
:lol: What does this even mean? Not a single source, even the noncredible ones have suggested there’s an issue with player power at United. Have you ever stopped to consider the manager asserting dominance for the sake of asserting dominance is pissing everyone off? Imagine getting blamed for the City loss, despite being throughly out played in every department, and then the manager dropping you for Evan’s off the back of that game because you disagreed with his assessment of how the game went?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He was absolutely terrible despite being told a new better modern coach would transform us.

Yes he was right on a few things but they were so obvious to me that I thought Ten Hag would know to address them. How wrong was I. His signings are like he's never watch us or PL game in his life.