Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 307 41.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 439 58.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Blood Mage

The attack he has built is the worst we've seen at United in decades.
Second worst after our front three of Rooney, Martial and Depay in LVG's second season (Rooney was horribly past it at that point and Depay was Antony without the work-rate).

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"Today it was obviously risked in bid to sacrifice any passing fluidity from the back for solidity."
Yeah with Maguire and Varane, two right footers. Why did we not move Varane to the right with Evans on if having inverted centre backs is an issue? You do understand that Evans is left footed don’t you?

Shark

@NotShark
We are currently missing 12 first teamers to injury or illness. Started the match missing 10
My point is though, which players aside from perhaps Martinez and Casemiro are we missing that would have had an impact to us mustering a goal at home against a Bayern side that weren't even bothered?

Chipper

Adulterer.
What are you expecting him to say on TV? It's meaningless and mostly to fulfil a contractual requirement.

And let's be honest, how many were calling Mourinho out for coming out and saying we were shite? Or Ralf? Who are the rare exceptions to the rule when it comes to speaking to the cameras. Ralf was absolutely slammed on here and I bet if I dug up some of Joses old thread, it would be bedlam everytime he said it how it was.

So what do you want the managers to say?
It just rankles a bit when a manager says his team was very good and didn't deserve to lose when they weren't and did.

There's a lot of ground between a manager saying something like that and saying his team were shite. One sounds like a lie or delusional, the other gets criticised for calling the players out and begs the question of why they were poor when it's his job to make sure we're not.

Something like "I thought we did ok at times, but am disappointed we lost. I was satisfied with [insert something here] but felt we could have done better with this and that. I'll be looking to improve our performance in those areas"?

Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't have been groundbreaking, giving tons of insight. Just standard post-match fare saying not a lot. Avoids controversy though!

Last edited:

el3mel

Of course. Would have given us some options though. We had none tonight. No ability to change anything.
Martial isn't an option. He started not long time ago when we lost 3-0 to Bournemouth. You are just desperate.

BorisManUtd

He's so far out of his depth it's crazy. As soon as he's come across a good team, he's looked clueless.

Even the home wins against Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City last season we were playing like relegation scrappers at home. We had something like 30% possession in those games. It was a couple of smash and grabs that you see lower half teams pull off. We are completely schooled anytime we come across a competent team.
Last season I always said that even though there were some obviously good performances, like Barca at home (maybe away as well) and cup final vs Newcastle, my favourite and most complete performance was against Spurs at home. We dominated and had complete control and it was so refreshing to see. Sadly, as good as it was, it was (to good extent) thanks to Conte's negative tactics and his team starting to go on a downhill under him. One performance I really liked this season was vs Chelsea last week but that was also largely thanks to opponent's bad performance.

RuudTom83

Tonight wasn’t the reason United failed to qualify from the group.

Performance was solid and a bit more pragmatic than we have seen all season.

But you can’t make as many mistakes as United have in the group games and still expect to reach the knockout stages.

Squad is looking even more threadbare for the weekend so this season ain’t getting any better soon. :/

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The odds are against him, but unlike last season - every decision he's made has only made them worse.

Yes, the ownership situation is dire, but ETH made poor use of funds at hand with Mount and Hojlund, if not also Onana.
Yes, Rashford's form fell off a cliff, but ETH persisted with starting him for far too long.
Yes, Onana was diabolical in the CL games, but ETH did not drop him.
Yes, we make individual mistakes in games, but ETH doesn't course correct with subs.
Yes, the injuries have been disastrous, but ETH has not shown any inclination to rotate
Yes, the reffing has been biased, but ETH is far too tame in his pressers.

That's the worrying thing, ETH has had the opposite of the Midas touch, it's remarkable how a manager can get so many things wrong after showing an ability to at least get something right last season. I genuinely don't know what to make of it. All I know is that if we get mauled at Anfield again, he's gone - new owner or not.

Chumpsbechumps

It just rankles a bit when a manager says his team was very good when they weren't.

There's a lot of ground between a manager saying something like and saying his team were shite. One sounds like a lie or delusional, the other gets criticised for calling the players out and begs the question of why they were poor when it's his job to make sure we're not.

Something like "I thought we did ok at times, but am disappointed we lost. I was satisfied with [insert something here] but felt we could have done better with this and that"?

Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't have been groundbreaking, giving tons of insight. Just standard post-match fare saying not a lot.
It doesn’t matter what a manager says to the media. It’s all sh*te talk. We’ve far bigger issues then what is effectively a manager being forced to waffle navigate a reporter trying to get them to say something that can he used against them. Anything serious that needs be said will be said in the dressingroom

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why didn’t we just have ago tonight? Really attack a team for once? He just doesn’t seem to abondon a set up that is no good for us? Is he really so 1 dimensional?
Attack a team with what? He's assembled the worst set of forwards in our PL/CL history.

Even when LVG threw Nick Powell on that time we carried more threat.

Skills

Snitch
Last season I always said that even though there were some obviously good performances, like Barca at home (maybe away as well) and cup final vs Newcastle, my favourite and most complete performance was against Spurs at home. We dominated and had complete control and it was so refreshing to see. Sadly, as good as it was, it was (to good extent) thanks to Conte's negative tactics and his team starting to go on a downhill under him. One performance I really liked this season was vs Chelsea last week but that was also largely thanks to opponent's bad performance.
Yup that was the only game that was a positive light.

That Chelsea game was terrible though. The set up was reckless and open, and a better team would've butchered us.

JagUTD

fecking tactics. Try and coach us how to attack and have a shot. We had one shot! I refuse to believe these players are not good enough to create a single chance in 90 minutes of football against a side who were going through the motions
How many goals have we scored in the CL this season? Pretty sure the team knows how to score in Europe. Tonight we were forced to play the attack we did with no ability to change things of it didn't work. It didn't work...

The tactics were to stay in the game and try get a goal. We did the first part fairly well. Second part though, yeh...

Tonight did not defy our campaign though. We should have been through comfortably already. Talking about how entertaining it has been, goals galore. To find out more visit one of the threads about the guy in the different colour kit to the other players.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's set us back as a club, when he's inevitably sacked we're left with a club that relies on McTominay and Maguire, there's no long term vision and he's contributed to terrible recruitment.

We've regressed massively but now with players on long term contracts we can't get rid of like Dalot, Antony, Rashford and Onana.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah its a real shame that we are missing 12 players. How can a club compete against Galatasaray and Copenhagen? If only we had £400m to spend to catch up with those two :(

Wolfbot

Guy needs to get in the bin, we've thrown a few games in this group through playing absolute carnage football, got the goals but failed to then manage the game.

Tonight we probably needed to play that chaos football to have any chance at all of getting the win we needed, and instead we turn in the most timid of performances with next to no attacking impetus whatsoever.

Injuries and other issues have to be hampering the team, but there's no excuse for only being able to play either chaotically or bluntly.

We could have got battered by Bayern if we played open tonight, but it was the only way we'd have a chance of getting something and Ten Hag just phoned it in.

Need to get rid if him, the team don't look drilled or organised whatsoever, there's no evidence of any different ideas being implemented to try to turn it around either. No point in continuing with him, it's just depressing for all involved.

TsuWave

When Licha comes back, and we have a new owner, and a new structure, and a new DoF, and a couple more years :drool:

El Presidente

Yes lets.

Could playing almost every possible game last season, across 4 competitions plus a mid season world cup several players took part it have anything to do with it?

Similar to how Liverpool really struggled last season until later on after doing much the same, minus a world cup?

The similarities between us this season and Liverpool past season are fairly obvious. Not sure if Liverpool had many injuries but they certainly played like they were burnt out and that's how we are playing.

And who is absolving him of any blame? Maybe if people stopped blaming him for everything we could have a better discussion. It's not that difficult tbh.
Liverpool didn't have nearly as much injuries as us this year. They lost van Dijk to a freakish tackle by Pickford. They had absent players mostly in defence, other areas of the pitch were fine. Also, their squad is way thinner than ours.
Also, Liverpool run like mad men, their press is relentless (and very effective). When you play like that, you're bound to tire at some point and drop the intensity. Now, we don't do those things, we play on slow motion, cede possession and occasionally sit back. I don't see the similarities.

JagUTD

He's set us back as a club, when he's inevitably sacked we're left with a club that relies on McTominay and Maguire, there's no long term vision and he's contributed to terrible recruitment.

We've regressed massively but now with players on long term contracts we can't get rid of like Dalot, Antony, Rashford and Onana.
Genuinely seen this exact post, almost word for word at the end of Oles time.

And Mourinho...

Can't remember reading the caf under van Gaal but given some still break out in fits when he's mentioned, I can imagine something similar.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How many goals have we scored in the CL this season? Pretty sure the team knows how to score in Europe. Tonight we were forced to play the attack we did with no ability to change things of it didn't work. It didn't work...

The tactics were to stay in the game and try get a goal. We did the first part fairly well. Second part though, yeh...

Tonight did not defy our campaign though. We should have been through comfortably already. Talking about how entertaining it has been, goals galore. To find out more visit one of the threads about the guy in the different colour kit to the other players.
You’re never going to get a goal if you don’t shoot. And then when we went one down it got even worse. I’m just annoyed. It was hard to watch, just a deflated team with no desire or idea.
and yeah, I’ve got nothing good to say about Onana, people raving because he played one pass to dalot yet kicked it away and out of touch numerous times too. And that’s just tonight.

ManUtd1999

Of course. Would have given us some options though. We had none tonight. No ability to change anything.
ETH does not make any changes (tactical or to personnel) that would impact the outcome of a game. He basically does not coach. This has been obvious for a while now.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Personally I find that highly believable.
I think if we had Bruno more protected so he didn’t have to run around like a mad man and he could concentrate just getting the ball and feeding the wingers on the break or putting hojlund in behind we’d stand a lot better chance of creating something. Instead we’ve got mctominay hanging around upfront crowding out our striker and making Bruno do all the tracking. Clearly that’s tactics. But they don’t look like they’re working to me

JagUTD

If you are depending on Martial as an option then you are desperate.
Depending? Nah. Just saying he would have been an option. Which is more than we had tonight. Hojlund wasn't working at all was he? Martial would have made little difference of course but it really couldn't have been any worse.

The point is we had nothing to make any changes up top.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Erik should grow some balls and start playing youngsters. 90% of the fans already know this season is over, this team will not win anything. We will finish between 6-10 place while being kick out early in Cup games. Football is simply dreadful, can't defend and can't score. How do you expect to win? I expect to see more losses, a couple of wins. Usual suspects starting games while young players continues to sit on the bench wondering what do I need to do to start a game. Don't put the blame on the owners as Erik is the one making those decision. If anyone clubs come asking for one of our players in the January market, I will sell without hesitation. January is the best time to extract the highest value. Rashford and Sancho to the Saudi league would be perfect for 120 million, Casemiro and Varane each for 30 million. We can starting preparing funds for the new incoming DOF and manager.

el3mel

Depending? Nah. Just saying he would have been an option. Which is more than we had tonight. Hojlund wasn't working at all was he? Martial would have made little difference of course but it really couldn't have been any worse.

The point is we had nothing to make any changes up top.
A nothing option that's it. Not much difference.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yes lets.

Could playing almost every possible game last season, across 4 competitions plus a mid season world cup several players took part it have anything to do with it?

Similar to how Liverpool really struggled last season until later on after doing much the same, minus a world cup?

The similarities between us this season and Liverpool past season are fairly obvious. Not sure if Liverpool had many injuries but they certainly played like they were burnt out and that's how we are playing.

And who is absolving him of any blame? Maybe if people stopped blaming him for everything we could have a better discussion. It's not that difficult tbh.
Not rotating the players last year was ridiculous. I remember how we fielded our strongest team in return leg against Nottingham and people were just over the moon with how our players don’t need any rest and just keep on going. It was super risky and appears to have backfired.

TsuWave

How can anyone trust this guy? I don't get it. He really felt like he walked into a goldmine with that Mctominay Brentford sub - and has stuck with that experiment ever since. Here's another example:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think if we had Bruno more protected so he didn’t have to run around like a mad man and he could concentrate just getting the ball and feeding the wingers on the break or putting hojlund in behind we’d stand a lot better chance of creating something. Instead we’ve got mctominay hanging around upfront crowding out our striker and making Bruno do all the tracking. Clearly that’s tactics. But they don’t look like they’re working to me
Hard to disagree, but he’s working with what he has. We wouldn’t play this way if he had Casemiro, Licha, Mount, Marcus etc in the XI.

Last edited:

Castia

Lost 50% of games this season and let’s be honest the matches we have won more often than not we were shit

Boring football, awful line ups and substitutes and terrible transfers

It’d been a nightmare since the cup final win in all honesty

Get rid