Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 105 30.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 239 69.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

red_de_pologne

Funny thing with LVG, United tried to sign shaw and Herrera the season before under Moyes. Mad how these are “LvG signings” when they were identified before we knew we were going to hire him.

I don’t think it’s clear exactly how United determines targets as there’s mish mash examples of players bought over the last 11 years who may or may not of been what the manager wanted, but what they got.

ETH wanted Kane , gets Hoijland
Wants FDJ, gets Casemiro
Wants a striker, gets weghorst
Needs a CM, gets Sabitzer/amrabat on loan

These are big first choice signings , even if you do think his top targets aren’t attainable , what does that say about Uniteds capacity for getting its top targets?

You don’t hear madeid or Bayern struggling to get their top targets, we either are a super club that gets sh*t done or we are pretending to be one. Which is it?
Don’t forget Kim Min Jae and gets Jonny Evans

hobbers

I've not mentioned Arteta but could you explain how you knew Arteta would turn it around from a fat, far worse position that ETH is in now before he did?
What?

Arteta took Arsenal from 8th the season he started to 8th the next season, after winning the FA cup.

ETH is taking us from 3rd to (at this rate) about 10th, plus humiliations in every other competition. He's spent £400m on all his favourite players to achieve this.

This isnt complicated stuff.

Chumpsbechumps

Don’t forget Kim Min Jae and gets Jonny Evans
My bad, thanks for reminding me.

I nearly forgot to mention again that he got Weghorst as our starting striker and people think that he chose this striker out of all strikers in Europe as opposed to it being the only player United could get him after offloading Ronaldo.

Ah but FFP, right? While Chelsea and city make a mockery of it, it’s great that our owners are so frugal and rigid when it comes to spending on the team.

erikcred

Funny thing with LVG, United tried to sign shaw and Herrera the season before under Moyes. Mad how these are “LvG signings” when they were identified before we knew we were going to hire him.

I don’t think it’s clear exactly how United determines targets as there’s mish mash examples of players bought over the last 11 years who may or may not of been what the manager wanted, but what they got.

Wants FDJ, gets Casemiro

These are big first choice signings , even if you do think his top targets aren’t attainable , what does that say about Uniteds capacity for getting its top targets?

You don’t hear madeid or Bayern struggling to get their top targets, we either are a super club that gets sh*t done or we are pretending to be one. Which is it?
First of all, if this much vaunted "structure" at the club gets established or we hire a good sporting director, what do you think's going to happen? The managers would end up getting players who were not their top targets and they've to get on with coaching them. That's exactly how other top clubs function and how we all seem to want Utd to function. The reason why we have a mish mash squad is precisely because our managers got too many of their top targets, not the other way around.

Secondly, you seem to be completely absolving the managers of any blame in this process. Maybe their top targets didn't want to join because the manager wanting them was shite? Or maybe the targeted player just didn't want to play for the manager or even Utd. You think everyone grows up dreaming of playing for Utd or that they definitely will play for us if we throw enough cash at them?

Reactions: Cheimoon

JagUTD

What?

Arteta took Arsenal from 8th the season he started to 8th the next season, after winning the FA cup.

ETH is taking us from 3rd to (at this rate) about 10th, plus humiliations in every other competition. He's spent £400m on all his favourite players to achieve this.

Ah. 10th. Currently 6th though right? Which is what we know for a fact rather than some ability to see into the future, which I presume you lack the ability to do as you don't strike me as the Mystic Meg type.

So 8th to 8th plus a cup.

How does that compare with say 6th to 3rd and a cup? Probably better but what if we weren't absolute morons? Not better then? Interesting.

We've learned a lot today. Thank you.

JagUTD

I nearly forgot to mention again that he got Weghorst as our starting striker and people think that he chose this striker out of all strikers in Europe as opposed to it being the only player United could get him after offloading Ronaldo.

Ah but FFP, right? While Chelsea and city make a mockery of it, it’s great that our owners are so frugal and rigid when it comes to spending on the team.
You're a monster. For god sake show them some mercy!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ah. 10th. Currently 6th though right? Which is what we know for a fact rather than some ability to see into the future, which I presume you lack the ability to do as you don't strike me as the Mystic Meg type.

How does that compare with say 6th to 3rd and a cup? Probably better but what if we weren't absolute morons? Not better then? Interesting.

6th to 3rd was last season, when Ten Hag has a bad season we shouldn’t just pretend it isn’t happening and call people morons.

mu4c_20le

Poor Erik, he never gets what he wants. Hopefully with new owners, they will sign the players HE wants.

hobbers

That comparison would work if it was August 2023.

Shame there’s been 4 months of hideous football and 12 defeats since then.

JagUTD

6th to 3rd was last season, when Ten Hag has a bad season we shouldn’t just pretend it isn’t happening and call people morons.
But we're comparing with Artetas first season? Jesus wept.

And yeh, he's having a bad season. Nobody has said otherwise. Are people actually suggesting anyone is saying we are having a good season?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But we're comparing with Artetas first season? Jesus wept.

And yeh, he's having a bad season. Nobody has said otherwise. Are people actually suggesting anyone is saying we are having a good season?
The guy you put your snarky reply to literally mentions Arteta’s first two seasons, the compares to Ten Hag’s first season and the current one. If I were going to call people morons I would at least read the posts.

united for life

How do we know the players "he signed" are his first choices???? I'd love to drive a Mercedes not a Toyota... but my budget is X not Y.

I believe he's the right man. Feels like crap to be this poor but let's face it. No manager at United post Fergie (some with big CV's) couldn't get consistent results... what's the common theme? the club isn't a FC FIRST and FOREMOST... so decisions are not done to ensure on field success.

ETH shouldn't be punished for that.
ETH’s net spend is around 400 million. That is a good budget to sign proper players. Any manager would be happy with this sort of budget in such a short period of time. Let’s be realistic here, some of his signings are bad. Antony is a very average player. Mount isn’t bad, but to think he signed him for a CM position gives me a headache. These signings cost us around 150 million.

But I am not writing him off yet. As you said, we haven’t gotten consistent with any manager for the last 10 years. To be fair to ETH, he’s had lots of injuries to deal with. I would surely want him to stay longer. Give him more time to rebuild.

Fridge chutney

We should give ETH at least a couple of windows under the new football structure. It would be beneficial to see what he could do with the right ownership group in charge of the club.

JagUTD

That comparison would work if it was August 2023.

Shame there’s been 4 months of hideous football and 12 defeats since then.
Honestly, it's embarrassing that people even have to lump multiple competitions together to even make a point.

We've clearly been poor for those 4 months bar a few better performances. We have also seen a few bright sparks in terms of young exciting players beginning to establish themselves, which in some ways has been aided by our ridiculous injury crisis. While being poor though, we have also won 9 league games which has allowed us to keep in touch with the top 4 and should not be disregarded given the simple fact of returning players. They will make us better, it's not debatable, unless you think the current sides being put out are our strongest sides...

It's entirely possible to acknowledge the shite, the mistakes, the utterly baffling tactical decisions while also seeing the bigger picture. That's a balanced view of the situation, the only view that deserves to be taken seriously. If you have to dismiss the context, regurgitate shite off twitter (which also lacks context) and selectively compare with previous managers while dismissing others doing the same because it doesn't support your own view, then you have no argument at all.

We are seeing United at their worst right now and we are still scraping points together. We flopped in Europe but that was on one player, the others did their job, we played some good entertaining football in the majority of games. It's difficult to account for individual errors, especially multiple logic defying errors.

So far we have the ETH out lot absolving every other factor of any part in this. From the Glazers and the shambles of a club they run to the indisputable loss of numerous important players. Yet they expect to be taken seriously and have the absolute nerve to call others cultists or mental? Come off it.

RedRocket9908

ETH’s contract will be up by the time this INEOS lot get in anyway.
If SJR does indeed buy 25% of the Glazers shares which is 17% of the club nothing will really change anyway, the Glazers will still be there as majority share holders arnt going to hand any kind of control over to someone who owns only 17% of the club and SJR isnt going to pump a further £1.5-2bn in to a club he only owns 17% of to clear its debt and bebuild its stadium.

JagUTD

The guy you put your snarky reply to literally mentions Arteta’s first two seasons, the compares to Ten Hag’s first season and the current one. If I were going to call people morons I would at least read the posts.
Could you remind me of second season outcome? Make it the 3rd so we can avoid any further discussion on the clown over at Arsenal because someone will point out he didn't start until December in the first...

The Purley King

What?

Arteta has also spent a small fortune to do that……..

croadyman

I think this is one of the problems this club faces. Not picking the right manager, but the way of thinking that picking the right manager is the most important thing to do for a club.

The challenge should not be picking the right manager. The challenge should be picking the right football structure above the manager, so that the club is successful regardless of the manager. So that the manager is just a cog in a well-oiled machine. So that manager can be sacked 4 weeks into their regime if they show to be not good. So that if needed we can go over 2-3 managers in a season and still have a very successful season. So that finally it becomes 'supporting the club', without needing to add to it 'and the manager'.

The manager is just an employee and if we want to be successful again, we (the club bosses and the fanbase) should start treating him like an employee. Not like the man who stands above the club.
Very good post

hobbers

Arteta has also spent a small fortune to do that……..
To do what? He had one summer window between finishing 8th and 8th again. He signed Gabriel and Partey for a combined £68m.

Since then he's spent a lot yeah, and I dunno if you noticed but they did just compete for the title until the last month of the season. And they play quite nice football as well, unlike say, us.

But also another reason why the comparisons between ETH and Arteta are so fecking dumb. He hasn't justified them keeping him at all yet. He hasn't won anything more. What he's done is made it easy for them to decide to keep him at each evaluation point, due to constant improvement.

croadyman

Halve the people moaning for him to be sacked are probably the same people that wanted him hired. Where do they think we go in a years time with a new manager? Back to square 1. The players can’t keep getting away with performing 1 week and playing shite the next week. The team that dominated Chelsea was the same team that got battered of Bournemouth. The players are responsible, they choose when they play good and when they play bad.
Yes I will admit I wanted him to get the job,however didn't realise back then he demanded full control of transfers. I also expected to see that manager at Ajax,so when he said we would never see that with these players I wondered why we ever appointed him.

JagUTD

Not sure why Arteta’s name comes up all the time like he’s won a major trophy or even challenged for the title for a full season.
Me neither tbh but when it is suddenly everyone knew he would achieve greatness in second place.

I suppose one reason to bring Arteta in to the conversation is as a counter to the "how come some managers can come in and it works right away" like Ange at Spurs. Almost as if both arguments are meaningless...

flameinthesun

Me neither tbh but when it is suddenly everyone knew he would achieve greatness in second place.

I suppose one reason to bring Arteta in to the conversation is as a counter to the "how come some managers can come in and it works right away" like Ange at Spurs. Almost as if both arguments are meaningless...
Pretty simple, its the closest parallel in terms of what Ten Hag is going through, so of course Arteta is going to be brought up.

The funny thing is that based on their first couple years Ten Hag is outperforming Arteta.

JagUTD

Pretty simple, its the closest parallel in terms of what Ten Hag is going through, so of course Arteta is going to be brought up.

The funny thing is that based on their first couple years Ten Hag is outperforming Arteta.
Not entirely sure Arteta has even had a better season at Arsenal than Ten Hags first at United, yet. It's a lot easier to go all in on one target than go for multiple.

They played something like 16 fewer games than United, almost half a league season less.

The better comparison is probably with Klopp. Not over a particular season but in how Klopp didn't show much until he was given a proper structure above him and a top class DOF, who transformed Liverpool and the aftermath of competiting on all fronts in one season. Liverpool fans were calling Talksport last season demanding his sacking because they were playing like they had just woke up, they were clearly knackered and it took until the last quarter of a season to get up to speed. It's similar for United this season, the team looks absolutely shattered and add to that relentless injuries. As soon as I saw the first game this season, by half time I could already see it was going to be a struggle for the first half of the season.

Klopps real rise at Liverpool also coincided with Edwards coming in. Klopps a coach, Ten Hags a coach. Managers don't exist in football anymore, not at the top level. United as a club are decades behind and I know we all know this, there's a bloody thread about getting a DOF where it's universally agreed we need one or nobody will succeed here. But people forget this and so much more to attack the current manager. You can't criticise him for signing players while knowing he shouldn't be signing players. That's on the ownership FFS. It's like giving someone a knife and telling them to perform surgery even though they're not a doctor. Then telling them they're not very good. The feck did you expect!!!

Maniron

Not sure why Arteta’s name comes up all the time like he’s won a major trophy or even challenged for the title for a full season.
Lot's of gooners are disenchanted with Arteta despite their league position. They have been spoilt by Wenger and feel that Arteta sets up too defensively, his substitutions are too late in the game and predictable and he never plays the kids. Instead he flogs his 'best 11' to death, witness their dead rubber CL game when he took a few kids but didn't play them, choosing to bring Rice off the bench who definitely would have benefited from being left behind.

The grass isn't always greener.

Castia

Wants FDJ, gets Casemiro

I don’t agree with this. He was given 400m in 12 months. Maybe if he didn’t spend 90m on Antony he could have got Kane, 60m on Mount he could have got Kim. He’s had funds and identified a load of ex players for astronomical fees

We finally started a half decent clear out and have spunked 400m on shite that needs replacing yet again

RuudTom83

The immediate problem is that the squad has so few options due to injuries.

EtH only has 2 decisions to make, play Amrabat or Mainoo and then decide if Hojlund or Martial should play up front.

The rest is just sending out whoever is fit.

But if he can get 4 points from the next 3 games then that has to be seen as a success.

RuudTom83

I don’t agree with this. He was given 400m in 12 months. Maybe if he didn’t spend 90m on Antony he could have got Kane, 60m on Mount he could have got Kim. He’s had funds and identified a load of ex players for astronomical fees

We finally started a half decent clear out and have spunked 400m on shite that needs replacing yet again
But the club has proven they can’t negotiate for anyone! so they will always end up paying over the odds.

It was hardly EtH on the phone shouting higher! higher! with every bid.

bleedred

Not entirely sure Arteta has even had a better season at Arsenal than Ten Hags first at United, yet. It's a lot easier to go all in on one target than go for multiple.

They played something like 16 fewer games than United, almost half a league season less.

The better comparison is probably with Klopp. Not over a particular season but in how Klopp didn't show much until he was given a proper structure above him and a top class DOF, who transformed Liverpool and the aftermath of competiting on all fronts in one season. Liverpool fans were calling Talksport last season demanding his sacking because they were playing like they had just woke up, they were clearly knackered and it took until the last quarter of a season to get up to speed. It's similar for United this season, the team looks absolutely shattered and add to that relentless injuries. As soon as I saw the first game this season, by half time I could already see it was going to be a struggle for the first half of the season.

Klopps real rise at Liverpool also coincided with Edwards coming in. Klopps a coach, Ten Hags a coach. Managers don't exist in football anymore, not at the top level. United as a club are decades behind and I know we all know this, there's a bloody thread about getting a DOF where it's universally agreed we need one or nobody will succeed here. But people forget this and so much more to attack the current manager. You can't criticise him for signing players while knowing he shouldn't be signing players. That's on the ownership FFS. It's like giving someone a knife and telling them to perform surgery even though they're not a doctor. Then telling them they're not very good. The feck did you expect!!!
What is Eth supposed to be in this analogy, a chef??

Here is a better one. A surgeon asks for knife and sutures during the surgery and the nurse gets them to the surgeon. While the surgery is being performed, the patient is bleeding to death while half the operating room is blaming the nurse ,shouting "Why did you give them the knife, you should know better to not giving them what they asked for. You are supposed to pick the knifes for them and they shouldn't be asking you. If only we had a competent nurse, the patient could have been saved."

I am wondering if this whole idea about DOF should sign the players and not him would still be an argument, had the signings been successful??.. This seems to be an argument that's only coming up this season, why?. Last year the majority of the narrative was to say that Eth did a great recruitment job in finding Martinez and Casemiro.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Managers have rarely existed outside of the UK. It's a model that has been pushed aside more than 50 years ago.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yes I will admit I wanted him to get the job,however didn't realise back then he demanded full control of transfers. I also expected to see that manager at Ajax,so when he said we would never see that with these players I wondered why we ever appointed him.
Maybe it’s him telling the board we need more technically gifted players to play that way. I get you can’t play that way with players like Maguire and Mctominay who btw are our most inform players surprisingly.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This Arteta drivel again :lol:

We'll only get worse with each passing month under ETH. You wouldnt be able to bet on it because it's a foregone conclusion.
Has Arteta had a better season at Arsenal than ETH first with us?

JagUTD

What is Eth supposed to be in this analogy, a chef??

Here is a better one. A surgeon asks for knife and sutures during the surgery and the nurse gets them to the surgeon. While the surgery is being performed, the patient is bleeding to death while half the operating room is blaming the nurse ,shouting "Why did you give them the knife, you should know better to not giving them what they asked for. You are supposed to pick the knifes for them and they shouldn't be asking you. If only we had a competent nurse, the patient could have been saved."

I am wondering if this whole idea about DOF should sign the players and not him would still be an argument, had the signings been successful??.. This seems to be an argument that's only coming up this season, why?. Last year the majority of the narrative was to say that Eth did a great recruitment job in finding Martinez and Casemiro.
It was an argument long before ETH and remains so to this day. A DOF does far more than just identifying players though.

Even without ETH, unless we join the modern game United will continue with the same problems we all know yet some choose to ignore when it suits.

The Purley King

I agree with that but can’t deny he’s changed their fortunes.
In one main way he and ETH have done a similar thing. Weed out the wasters and those with poor attitudes / bad influences.
Arsenal stuck with their plan.
I’m not sure even if we stick with ETH it would work out but in general I like that approach.
There is lots I don’t like as well, but the attitude/discipline but he has got spot on.

JagUTD

Managers have rarely existed outside of the UK. It's a model that has been pushed aside more than 50 years ago.
We're a bit slow over in England when it comes to moving forward as you can probably tell. But over the past decade or so there has been a big shift towards the DOF model. Sir Alex and Wenger are really the last two true managers in football and you will never get anyone like Sir Alex again.