Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 468 49.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 470 50.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Teja

Good game today - watching the match I didn't realize West Ham got that many shots away or were beating us on xG honestly, it felt like we deserved to win. The only time I was stressed was when Bowen was through on goal and Dalot blocked.

We still need to do better at mopping up the counters but I still retain hopes of CL positions for next season. Winning at Villa would give me confidence that we can do it.

JediSith

Been saying for months the main issue was the injuries to Martinez, Casemiro etc and lack of similar alternatives to them.

city-puma

Sorry I didn't realise West Ham are the level we aspire to.
Unfortunately, there are several with the real low standard now. They are excited because we finally could score some goals and did not concede a goal in this single game.

tjb

I don't get why people like you are complaining. I mean, we saw what EtH managed to achieve last season right? When he had all the players available. Why not just see what he manages to accomplish now that he has almost everyone available again? ETH should be given at least 1 more full season with proper football people above and below him and owners who care about the club unlike the parasites, all the managers we have had since SAF retired cant all be bad, get rid of the players who think they are bigger than the club.
Because we can't waste another season hoping. Disciplinary issues and injuries happen to every team. In particular, we should still be able to perform well despite disciplinary issues. We all want success, but as a club, to be serious, we need to start acting decisively when we see things aren't working. It's not a charity. Ten Haag doesn't deserve time. At this stage, I still don't know what to expect from the team in terms of the football on the pitch. Poor seasons are starting to have an economic and reputational cost for us, and we can't continue to let that slide happen. We can't risk finding out that Ten Haag is a fraud next season, we simply can't.

For me, what's annoying about the argument to give him time, is that its completely hypocritical in nature. The players are also performers for us. They can make the argument that they arent' functioning well under this manager and hence deserve time under someone else. The notion behind keeping Ten Haag is that the players he has available to us aren't good enough; hence him performing poorly. Yet, we're willing to put down players in favor of a manager that has not proven anything here except that his system doesn't work and he doesn't have the urgency or creativity to find a system that does. I don't think he's good, similar to how I didn't think Ole was good. Mourinho's credit in football bought him time.Ten Haag doesn't have that. He's not proven. He hasn't shown himself to be worth the salt in his time here. As a big club, why wilfully take that risk when you don't have to. We're already having FFP issues, we need to fix this and fix this now. Both in senior management and on the pitch. Ten Haag has to go.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
West Ham had little threat beyond counter attacks and set pieces, other than Maguire losing the ball so not really right to act like they dominated us
Why do some of you do this thing where you make up stuff that hasn't been said?

tjb

Feck me :lol:

Just enjoy the win ffs, lads.
Can't. Because people will use it to justify another season.

Think of it as Mctominay scoring a goal and starting games after. That's how it can feel.

I'm happy we won. I'm happy with the players, not happy with the system. Concerned how far we have to fall to understand that managers aren't the club.

mu4c_20le

I don't get why people like you are complaining. I mean, we saw what EtH managed to achieve last season right? When he had all the players available. Why not just see what he manages to accomplish now that he has almost everyone available again? ETH should be given at least 1 more full season with proper football people above and below him and owners who care about the club unlike the parasites, all the managers we have had since SAF retired cant all be bad, get rid of the players who think they are bigger than the club.
The football last season wasn't that great either. They were heavily reliant on superman performances from Casemiro and Rashford. And that was before the cup final. ETH got the players playing together again and the addition of Martinez made us pretty solid at the back, and we overachieved.

Kelly15

Sorry I didn't realise West Ham are the level we aspire to.
I'm not sure what you are tying to say. We had 520 passes to 477 for west ham wich is 8.26% more. Showing more control and that we are better in possesion then west ham. We also had 5 shots on targets with 3 going in the net. While west ham had 3 shots on target and 0 in the net. Showing that we also created better chances and are more leatal.

We are above west hams level. It showed in the score line and the stats. Why would we aspire to be like west ham?

cyberman

Think of it as Mctominay scoring a goal and starting games after. That's how it can feel.

I'm happy we won. I'm happy with the players, not happy with the system. Concerned how far we have to fall to understand that managers aren't the club.
Shouldn’t you be hoping he keeps winning so the club you support continues to win and Ten Hag shows he knows what he’s doing?
Why wait for opposite to happen?

red.knight

Yes, I saw it and I wasn't particulary happy with the performances last season like some of you were, even if the results(against shite teams mostly) were good. That's why I am not even surprised with this season results and shite performances, because I said at end of last season that he is not good enough and that our results weren't exactly equal to our performances. But then even the results weren't that ideal either.
You know what we all know what Erik needs and we all know what he has had. He came from Ajax a well-run club winning title's, and he comes to united which is a dysfunctional team and club and you want to throw yet again another manager under the bus, when will you all wake up and realise every manager we have had since sir Alex hasnt had the correct structure and the squad that works to a style of play that the club want to play, everything has been a balls up because of the lack of structure at the club. Erik’s establishing a new culture, give him 1-2 years with a proper structure under INEOS. He’s dealing with all clubs problems on his own for way too long now. He should be focusing on training. Keep him out of the wind.

BoulderDevil

I don’t know why but it’s much more satisfying seeing all the so called “supporters” getting salty after their team wins than it is to witness the oppositions fans disappointment. Enjoy your day, lads!

Leftback99

I'm not sure what you are tying to say. We had 520 passes to 477 for west ham wich is 8.26% more. Showing more control and that we are better in possesion then west ham. We also had 5 shots on targets with 3 going in the net. While west ham had 3 shots on target and 0 in the net. Showing that we also created better chances and are more leatal.

We are above west hams level. It showed in the score line and the stats. Why would we aspire to be like west ham?
If you're impressed by having 51% possession at home to West Ham it's a low bar that I aren't going to argue with.

red.knight

Because we can't waste another season hoping. Disciplinary issues and injuries happen to every team. In particular, we should still be able to perform well despite disciplinary issues. We all want success, but as a club, to be serious, we need to start acting decisively when we see things aren't working. It's not a charity. Ten Haag doesn't deserve time. At this stage, I still don't know what to expect from the team in terms of the football on the pitch. Poor seasons are starting to have an economic and reputational cost for us, and we can't continue to let that slide happen. We can't risk finding out that Ten Haag is a fraud next season, we simply can't.

For me, what's annoying about the argument to give him time, is that its completely hypocritical in nature. The players are also performers for us. They can make the argument that they arent' functioning well under this manager and hence deserve time under someone else. The notion behind keeping Ten Haag is that the players he has available to us aren't good enough; hence him performing poorly. Yet, we're willing to put down players in favor of a manager that has not proven anything here except that his system doesn't work and he doesn't have the urgency or creativity to find a system that does. I don't think he's good, similar to how I didn't think Ole was good. Mourinho's credit in football bought him time.Ten Haag doesn't have that. He's not proven. He hasn't shown himself to be worth the salt in his time here. As a big club, why wilfully take that risk when you don't have to. We're already having FFP issues, we need to fix this and fix this now. Both in senior management and on the pitch. Ten Haag has to go.
If Erik was the right man for the job 18 months ago, then he still is now. Simple as that. Give the man the tools FINALLY and help him make the changed needed for the next 1.5 years and THEN we'll talk. All this lack of longterm vision does not do us any good.

slored1

Our possession game is light years behind City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Brighton. Even now Spurs.

We don’t control games like the above do. We allowed West Ham too much time and space in the first half. At home. That should ever happen.
Neither Spurs nor Brighton control games.

Tarrou

Christ some of you lot are so depressing

Weirdly i rather enjoy it when United win 3-0 with our youngsters getting the goals

tjb

Shouldn’t you be hoping he keeps winning so the club you support continues to win and Ten Hag shows he knows what he’s doing?
Why wait for opposite to happen?
Because i want us winning and challenging for trophies again and I don't think, due to what I've witnessed, that he's the guy to get us there. I don't believe he can have us challenging for titles regardless of whatever squad he has available to him. I'm worried that we're not going to have this many opportunities to keep failing like this. And I feel people have taken an approach of blaming players to protect him. For me, just like a player who isn't performing, i want him benched and eventually out of the club due to his performance. It's like when we had Moyes, after a point, when you know he can't do it and the season is basically meaningless ( ironically why he probably hasn't been fired yet), then what's the point. Us winning at this stage has no meaning. We're not winning the league, not in the champions league, out of the league cup, and at best we'll get top 4 ( where we can get kicked out of the group stage with no consequence). The standards are falling and have been falling. I don't believe based on his performance as manager that he can change this. I'm at a stage where only a large string of dominant performances, with lots of chances and control of the game would change my mind. Outside of that, given that our season is over anyway, why bother.

tjb

If Erik was the right man for the job 18 months ago, then he still is now. Simple as that. Give the man the tools FINALLY and help him make the changed needed for the next 1.5 years and THEN we'll talk. All this lack of longterm vision does not do us any good.
That's not how it works. We made a mistake 18 months ago. We don't have to bury our head in the sand and stick with it. He's had the tools. 400m to spend. He's not that guy and we don't have to commit to him. When he got the job, it was his job to prove to us that he was the man for the job. He hasn't proven that, so we owe him nothing.

red.knight

The football last season wasn't that great either. They were heavily reliant on superman performances from Casemiro and Rashford. And that was before the cup final. ETH got the players playing together again and the addition of Martinez made us pretty solid at the back, and we overachieved.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different outcomes, we’ve been down this road so many times before, if you think changing the manager will make us great you need to question your judgement. The thing that needs to change is the way the clubs run and removing players who have a very bad attitude. Sacking Ten Hag doesn’t solve the issues that runs deeper in the club. Give him a DOF and a proper structure to build a winning team.

Robbie Boy

It wasn't that great, but at least it was structured and looked like it could be built upon. It was probably the best football we played post-Fergie, along with some of Ole's early stuff. Though the bar is ridiculously low.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I mean, sure, I get that if that’s your position but no one’s asking you to change your mind about EtH in/out because a couple of games shouldn’t make you flip flop like that….but there’s little point in being miserable (not you, mind) with a good win and try and draw out negatives in a week where we’ve seen signs of improvement. Still massive concerns of course, but yeah. I’d rather support and hope with the influx and return of players were able to go on a run and EtH manages to turn it around. Each to their own I guess. And I actually say this as someone whose vote is currently “out”.

red.knight

That's not how it works. We made a mistake 18 months ago. We don't have to bury our head in the sand and stick with it. He's had the tools. 400m to spend. He's not that guy and we don't have to commit to him. When he got the job, it was his job to prove to us that he was the man for the job. He hasn't proven that, so we owe him nothing.
The lack of structure has him kneecapped from the get go. Sacking Ten Hag is not the solution. He needs a hell of a lot of time to cycle out players who lack the proper mentality or attitude. It remains to be seen whether that would happen given the club's pathetic track record.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
dysfunctional team and club and you want to throw yet again another manager under the bus, when will you all wake up and realise every manager we have had since sir Alex hasnt had the correct structure and the squad that works to a style of play that the club want to play,
When will you wake up and realise that neither of those managers were good enough to begin with? How many of those managers made semi decent career after United?

Last edited:

bosskeano

haha...some of u lot seem disappointed that we actually played well and are trying to find reason to be critical

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The problem is you can believe he can get a first XI to play decent football but you can also believe the first XI still gets pumped at Anfield or the Etihad.

So you’re left with the idea that hopefully with INEOS on board we fill the squad out with players that can slot in perfectly when needed and the quality doesn’t dip but you’re still left completely in the dark over whether he can work with whatever structure we put in place to identify those players and he’s shown so far he has no clue who or what he needs.

Leftback99

I don’t know why but it’s much more satisfying seeing all the so called “supporters” getting salty after their team wins than it is to witness the oppositions fans disappointment. Enjoy your day, lads!
I guarantee that no one that is bothered enough to waste their time posting on here about the club is 'salty' about us winning a game.

(Apart from maybe the odd few mentalists)

Kelly15

If you're impressed by having 51% possession at home to West Ham it's a low bar that I aren't going to argue with.
You really are clutching at straws here. It was interesting to see you continually move the goal posts instead of discussing the topic at hand. You said we aren't good with possession of the ball. I disagreed and gave my opinion why. I'm not interested in playing you're games. Seems like you need a boost. If so, you can say you won as I'm backing down. Have a good day.

Here's a description of moving the goalposts in case you aren't familiar.
Description: Demanding from an opponent that he or she address more and more points after the initial counter-argument has been satisfied refusing to concede or accept the opponent’s argument.

Leftback99

You really are clutching at straws here. It was interesting to see you continually move the goal posts instead of discussing the topic at hand. You said we aren't good with possession of the ball. I disagreed and gave my opinion why. I'm not interested in playing you're games. Seems like you need a boost. If so, you can say you won as I'm backing down. Have a good day.

Here's a description of moving the goalposts in case you aren't familiar.
Description: Demanding from an opponent that he or she address more and more points after the initial counter-argument has been satisfied refusing to concede or accept the opponent’s argument.
No idea what you're talking about but nice long post anyway.

You think this is a side comfortable in possession, I disagree. It's no big deal.

tjb

I mean, sure, I get that if that’s your position but no one’s asking you to change your mind about EtH in/out because a couple of games shouldn’t make you flip flop like that….but there’s little point in being miserable (not you, mind) with a good win and try and draw out negatives in a week where we’ve seen signs of improvement. Still massive concerns of course, but yeah. I’d rather support and hope with the influx and return of players were able to go on a run and EtH manages to turn it around. Each to their own I guess. And I actually say this as someone whose vote is currently “out”.
I agree. That's why I'm still watching. I'm still hoping that everything comes together and a system comes into place where we can push on and win.
I'm no longer looking at wins, but rather the performance and the sustainability of the performance.
This means: how many chances we create, how easily we control games, how solid we are defensively, how good is the game management etc.
The standards have to be even higher than when we appointed him as we've seen so many weaknesses in his tenure from him.

TBH, its not even about fans for me. The club has traditionally always taken the easiest option that has media approval. It's a new regime, but I've seen us hire Ole, keep Ole, keep LVG and keep Moyes longer than we should, simply because it was easy.

For me, it's not really being negative, but trying to actually assess where we are, where we should be and what we should do. In a similar fashion to other top teams that win games far more frequently. Madrid fans won't be happy with a poor season with a decent win. Neither would Bayern or Barca ( which is why Xavi is leaving). Right now a lot of the fans saying he should be kept, are doing so with the notion that the players he has available are ill disciplined and not good enough. My question is why should we as fans not treat managers the exact same way, particularly if they haven't previously proven themselves. Today's victory hasn't stopped people from calling out Rashford or Bruno, or saying we need another keeper. People can use today's victory, analyze an individual player's performance like Maguire and say he didn't play too well due to poor moments. So if that can happen, I don't see why people shouldn't be concerned about not controlling the game and elements of the performance despite the win. I don't expect insults, but I do think analyses is fair.

tjb

The lack of structure has him kneecapped from the get go. Sacking Ten Hag is not the solution. He needs a hell of a lot of time to cycle out players who lack the proper mentality or attitude. It remains to be seen whether that would happen given the club's pathetic track record.
I'd argue that the lack of structure is what has actually allowed him to stay this long, not what has kneecapped him. I think the lack of football knowledge above him allowed him to have more power than he should. I think it also allowed him to make poor decisions, with no timelines and poor tactics without reprisal. The structure we are bringing is only going to restrict his decision making and it shouldn't change anything on the pitch apart from him coming under much more pressure than he should. I'd make the argument that the expectation for a manager at United would be to be able to take on duties with autonomy, without needing to be micromanaged. Ten Haag has proven that he can't be trusted in this regard and needs that oversight. So as a top club, why should we waste our time with someone who needs hand holding and oversight that we already know of. If it kneecapped him, it kneecapped him because he simply wasn't good enough.

The players don't get given the same grace after 2 to 3 seasons. Antony has been poor under a seemingly poor manager. People aren't clamouring to give him another season under someone else. We already know he doesn't have a good right foot, makes poor decisions and doesn't offer much creativity. What would another manager overseeing him change?

Newstyle

Things are lining up for him to get fired after the season. New DoF will most certainly want to put his own man in charge. Also, splashing 400m on mediocre players is a sackable offense.

Controlled possession to me is when we used pin teams in their own half for long periods, especially at home and not be conceding high double figure shots on our own goal. This side doesnt/can't do it (yet).

Clearly the bar is much lower for some.
Exactly. Newport had 15+ shots against us too.

red.knight

And you forget to include the second question in your post? Feck me, why am I even bothering here.
Your 2nd Question: "How many of those managers made semi decent career after United?"
My answer: Moyes and Mourinho.

Like the saying goes, you can’t expect different result by doing the same thing again and again. Sacking Ten Hag shouldn't even be talked about. He's not perfect by any means but we can't keep sacking manager after manager. Feck me, why am I even bothering here.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’ve a long way to go, but he’s doing the right things recently, he’s managed to get the front three playing together which to me is bigger than the players coming back from injury. He needs to keep looking up the table and pick up plenty of points.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Your 2nd Question: "How many of those managers made semi decent career after United?"
My answer: Moyes and Mourinho.

Like the saying goes, you can’t expect different result by doing the same thing again and again. Sacking Ten Hag shouldn't even be talked about. He's not perfect by any means but we can't keep sacking manager after manager. Feck me, why am I even bothering here.
So Moyes' and Mourinho's results after their United career are your standard of Manchester United manager? Yeah, definitely nothing to discuss here anymore, we simply have different standard how good Manchester United manager should be, and it's a world of difference.