Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 398 46.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mintyred

You’d have to be incredibly naive to disagree with this post. Surely everyone can see this if they watch our games.
I completely agree, sooner or later our luck will run out and we'll get played off the park and concede goals. City are coming up, Halland is always on form against us so I hope we don't conceed 20+ shots against them, but we undoubtedly will.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Also, we absolutely contribute to these injury issues with how we play. It's end to end sprinting and pressing for 90 minutes where our forwards are dead tired by the end, but it's all done inefficiently. Which is why people wonder what goes wrong when we go 2-0 up but the truth is we play the same throughout the entire game and the high risk passing combinations either come off or they don't. But we never sustain any sort of pressure because it's impossible to with how direct we are.

cyberman

While I was extremely critical of the first half, the 2nd half was so so so much better. Luton basically huffed and puffed 2nd half without much. Some criminal misses by us. Can't believe it didn't end 1-4 to us.
Yeah, I don’t understand the hysteria. If any other team played that exact same game today we wouldn’t be saying they were lucky. A lot of this is because we support the team, it’s a lot of oh well live to regret that chance missed but we created that chance routinely until the second half finished and Luton did nothing with the ball, A lot of nothing crosses where we had the forwards well marked and Onana had nothing to do.
it’s a strange reaction on here. Nothing possession up until our box then giving the ball away time and time again to get through to their keeper isn’t us being outplayed

eire-red

It is completely normal to be happy with winning while also pointing out the visible flaws in our game. Annoying how pointing out a clear 'positive' or 'negative' ends up in being branded as EtH in / out.

A massive positive to take from the turn of the year is how threatening our attackers look going forward. But like many others, I am still waiting to see a complete performance across all aspects and for a full 90 minutes.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Funny a few weeks ago many were still trying to argue Ole was a better United manager.
I predicted then that within a few weeks and some players returning, he’d be matching Ole’s second best season’s points total, after already beating Ole’s best last season, and we’ve now reached that point.

That’s not saying this season is good enough, it aint, it’s just proof of how laughably shit Ole was.
First thought that comes to your mind after barely beating Luton is to take a pointless dig at someone who was sacked 3 years ago. Imagine being this obsessed.

Ole finished 3rd and 2nd in his two full seasons. This fraud is languishing in 6th and had us finish bottom of a piss easy CL group. Took late February to get us to a positive goal difference but City will probably take care of that in a couple of weeks' time.

Positions matter, not point tallies. By your metric of 'proof' Fergie is 'laughably shit' because Klopp had higher tallies. Remarkably bad logic.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If you strolled in thinking Luton away is a comfortable fixture then it sounds like a you problem.
We can keep excusing it away but it's yet another record set against us for shots conceded. No I didn't think it was going to be "comfortable" but also just closing our eyes to the fact that we were 2-0 up yet refused to exact any sort of composure or measure of control on the game is fecking stupid. Is that what we are going to do though, just say every away game is a "tough fixture" no matter the opponent and be happy with getting dominated for large portions of the match as long as we win? Because that's a great way to really turn into a midtable club.

Ludens the Red

Honestly he needs to do something about how bad off the ball we are.
Whether it be ground duels, aerial duels, 50/50’s, tackling, ball recoveries (especially against wide forwards). It’s bottom three level. We’ve conceded an obscene amount of possession and shots to Luton and West Ham. Two of the worse teams in the league in those areas. The results have picked up and that’s great. Mainoo and Hojlunds form is great but we’re playing far too close to the edge at the moment because of our terrible work when out of the ball. It could easily swing the other way, especially with that city game approaching.

Good win at a place where many teams have struggled.
I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Look at the way those games Luton had against Liverpool, City, Arsenal and compare them to the game against us. It was the same vs West Ham. Possession and shots aren’t everything in football but they tell a s

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yep, it's the same shit I've been arguing with people about for weeks that are just looking at the results and wondering why some of us are unsatisfied. It's like painting a house and adding a pool/beautiful back yard and people are wondering why anyone is unhappy with this shiny beautiful home while a few of us are just staring at the rotting foundation and know it's just a matter of time before the floor caves in.
:lol:

Valencia Shin Crosses

It is completely normal to be happy with winning while also pointing out the visible flaws in our game. Annoying how pointing out a clear 'positive' or 'negative' ends up in being branded as EtH in / out.

A massive positive to take from the turn of the year is how threatening our attackers look going forward. But like many others, I am still waiting to see a complete performance across all aspects and for a full 90 minutes.
It's the single thing driving the run of good results. Garnacho and Hojlund have been excellent in the final third since Christmas, and it's great to see considering how young both are. I only worry with Hojlund in particular that he still is doing this completely off scraps/his own pure brilliance.

UDontMessWith24

If you think tactics or subs or whatever else football related has been the biggest problem this season, and you can operate a piece of technology well enough to post on this message board, you are a true enigma.

His future here will depend on his ability to get some of these players to focus and work like professional football players at the highest level, and play with a level of discipline required to compete for the Premier League. They wouldn't do it for Mourinho cause he wasn't very nice to them, they wouldn't do it for Ole because he was too nice to them, and so far Ten Hag has not been able to get it out of them on a consistent basis. Enough years have gone by that it has now become an acceptable standard at the club. The players that are responsible for this cannot stay here, but I fear one way or another this poisonous rot will cost ETH his job before it can be weeded out.

Geistman

Look it is easy to give out about the performance which does say a lot. But to be honest I am actually enjoying a lot of the football we are playing lately. However, there is a mentality issue which needs to be addressed soon. When we go ahead we tend to give the ball away constantly. I understand that ETH wants to be the best team in transition but we have to control the ball a lot better at times and take the heat out of games more. Against the top teams we are not going to get away with what we have done lately. But all in all, lots of improvements lately and fun football at times, with the added chaos every now and again. Onwards and upwards, let's hope for improvements because I don't think we are that far away. A couple of solid players in important positions (CDM and CB mostly) and we could be a force soon providing the right appointments are made behind the scenes, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We have improved offensively, regressed defensively and still have no midfield. ETH has moved from absolutely dreadful to merely not good enough though, if we carry on winning and finish 5th or 6th he will 100% stay for another full season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Our performances this season. Every game is a basketball game. We've had the luck of bounces the past 5 or so games. West ham, villa and Luton all had over 20 shots. Newport and Wolves had 17/16 shots. It's not a good performance, you can't just look at the result and think it's good team development because we have a lucky run of grinding out results after half a season of pathetic results. It's literally just variance swinging in our favor after it wasn't in our favor, but it's not any sort of performance building. It's showing nothing for future optimism. In fact performances like these show we're likely to bounce back down sooner rather than later. It's not sustainable to concede 20 shots per game.
Well said. And the variance is basically only having players that are worth 10-100x more than the opposition (in Newport's case, probably 1000x). Somehow every single game we ever play is a dogfight which should have the alarm bells ringing.

GregM40

It must be Ten Hag’s decision for us to completely concede control of every game we play. Did we buy Onana just for him to hoof it up field every time? It’s madness the way we play. Chaos.

Robbie Boy

Funny a few weeks ago many were still trying to argue Ole was a better United manager.
I predicted then that within a few weeks and some players returning, he’d be matching Ole’s second best season’s points total, after already beating Ole’s best last season, and we’ve now reached that point.

That’s not saying this season is good enough, it aint, it’s just proof of how laughably shit Ole was.
One of the usual suspects was like a moth to a flame with this post :lol:

Ole can only be reeled out when we're losing so that he can be eh vindicated, or something. The last few games actually remind of the Ole era 100%: getting points but looking fairly shite.

Robbie Boy

The most shots Luton have had in a PL game.
I thought we were a-bit naff, but this 'shots conceded thing' is becoming a-bit of a hipster term now. They had feck all shots of any substance. Our issue, I mean glaring issue, is being totally incapable of controlling a football match.

RedStarUnited

Can we do away with stats?

It feels like we can't enjoy a win because we didn't win it on stats.
Ignore match discussions then? I called it last game, there needs to be a thread for just positivity and enjoyment. So the rest of us can actually discuss the performances.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Our performances this season. Every game is a basketball game. We've had the luck of bounces the past 5 or so games. West ham, villa and Luton all had over 20 shots. Newport and Wolves had 17/16 shots. It's not a good performance, you can't just look at the result and think it's good team development because we have a lucky run of grinding out results after half a season of pathetic results. It's literally just variance swinging in our favor after it wasn't in our favor, but it's not any sort of performance building. It's showing nothing for future optimism. In fact performances like these show we're likely to bounce back down sooner rather than later. It's not sustainable to concede 20 shots per game.
"I want him sacked because I bought a ticket for a game this season and would love to see better football" - probably the most pathetic post ever.

Maybe you should have bought ticket for Villa game. Or if you didn't see what emotions it brought maybe you shouldnt brought ticket period.

Blabbering for 12 months how great he is, turned a record for 360 degrees (or 180!) and now everything is shit. Absolute joke. But you (and everyone else) do you. As I said, in 1 year from now I bet you will look pretty well.. fill the blanks.

"Top Red"

wolvored

To all the ones disagreeing with me we will have to agree to disagree on TH moaning about FFP. We just scraped a win against a team who cost 10 million the commentator said on tv. We are still a moments team and our style of play is very basic and erratic

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ignore match discussions then? I called it last game, there needs to be a thread for just positivity and enjoyment. So the rest of us can actually discuss the performances.
It's not even discussion though, it's death by numbers. Can we not just enjoy the subjectivity of life?

fecking nerds

Malone_Post

Man Utd just faced 20 shots in a Premier League game for the eighth time this season. Liverpool have faced 20 shots twice since Klopp was appointed in 2015.
But something something Klopp needed time something something Fergie needed three years something something :rolleyes:

Superunknown

Did well today with his line up, but I think he did even better with the timing of his subs. He got those right and it made a positive change for the game. Those yellow cards caused us a problem and I'm glad that Erik bit the bullet and made those changes, or else we could have faced a huge problem later on. He's been criticised for his subs before, so I'm glad he's got it right today. The only disappointing thing for me doesn't just apply to this game exclusively, but it's with how we look so loose in the middle. Other teams can easily play through us and we seem to give the ball away too much. It's a season-long problem and I still can't fully decide whether that's manager, tactics, or the personnel for those positions. I don't honestly think we can improve on those flaws anyway until we get to the transfer window. I'm glad that Erik has got Hojlund scoring and Garnacho has been looking better in recent games.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I thought we were a-bit naff, but this 'shots conceded thing' is becoming a-bit of a hipster term now. They had feck all shots of any substance. Our issue, I mean glaring issue, is being totally incapable of controlling a football match.
Without a doubt. Which leads to the opposition getting shots at our goal, which usually leads to goals conceded.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How can anyone want a manager out after five wins in a row?

I get it if we are doing awfully - but he’s not going now is he so why post?

Jev

It's not even discussion though, it's death by numbers. Can we not just enjoy the subjectivity of life?

fecking nerds
The ones who are focused on stats are the ones who only look at the results and refuse to put any relevance on the performance we all witnessed.

Jev

How can anyone want a manager out after five wins in a row?

I get it if we are doing awfully - but he’s not going now is he so why post?
People are discussing the performances, the sustanability of recent results, and what we need to improve. Very few have called for him to be sacked today.

Kearnkoff69

It’s the same story as has been since last season, for me. Results have ticked up which is great, but the performances leave a lot to be desired. We have little ability to control games or to assert our will on opponents, either on the ball or on defense through cohesive pressing. I would rather be winning these games than losing, but great teams shouldn’t look under the cosh against teams like Luton. Short term results feel good but I am left still searching for positive feelings about our long term vision.

Superunknown

I would say Rasmus scoring is all on Rasmus. Not many of them have been deliberate assists.
Yeah, finding it hard to disagree with that, tbh. Especially with how both goals today came about. Just watched the video for that first goal again and he does so well to pounce on that.

Ludens the Red

Can we do away with stats?

It feels like we can't enjoy a win because we didn't win it on stats.
Can enjoy the win and critique the performance. I enjoyed the win whilst watching the final whistle go. And now in a discussion forum about the manager people are discussing our off the ball and out of possession work … with this manager…

Robbie Boy

Without a doubt. Which leads to the opposition getting shots at our goal, which usually leads to goals conceded.
Well, the shots were generally absolute shite. Even teams that control matches are prone to conceding shots to teams who shoot a-lot, which is what Luton done.

Our main issue is that we can't control a game of football. And we never will as long as players like Rashford and Bruno remain as starters.

UDontMessWith24

Common sense news shocker.
If they want to keep him then numerous outgoing transfers HAVE to be forced through. The Glazers stood in the way quite a few necessary departures and it's done more damage to the club than most people realize. We'll find out very soon if they're indeed not involved in football decisions.