Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Abhinav

Well, the shots were generally absolute shite. Even teams that control matches are prone to conceding shots to teams who shoot a-lot, which is what Luton done.

Our main issue is that we can't control a game of football. And we never will as long as players like Rashford and Bruno remain as starters.
They are linked - inability to control and conceding shots. We give away so much territorial ground to the opposition and allow them to camp near our box, even to a bottom 5 team. This inevitably will lead to shots on our goal and 1 or 2 can squeeze through into back of our net.

Irwin99

It's looking like he could replicate that run from last year from the Spurs game to the league cup final and if he does he'll probably get us top four in what's been a really difficult season. I'd be happy for him to continue the rebuild if that happens but the transfers have to be better.

Subs were good today, the one thing i really hate is the lack of control in the midfield though. Mainoo just sticks out completely as the one player who looks likely to recycle the ball well and not hurry things and that's really weird considering we've got international level players in the squad. I swear i'm not imagining it when i say we actually did used to boss some games last season with a Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno midfield.

UDontMessWith24

Can enjoy the win and critique the performance. I enjoyed the win whilst watching the final whistle go. And now in a discussion forum about the manager people are discussing our off the ball and out of possession work … with this manager…
Why, did they work hard off the ball consistently for another manager?

tomaldinho1

Aside from the fact that’s 4 on the bounce, to still see posted using terms like ‘fraud’ is genuinely mindboggling.

Robbie Boy

They are linked - inability to control and conceding shots. We give away so much territorial ground to the opposition and allow them to camp near our box, even to a bottom 5 team. This inevitably will lead to shots on our goal and 1 or 2 can squeeze through into back of our net.
Obviously there's a link.... But people have been absolutely obsessing over shots conceded the last few games when the shots haven't been up to much. City absolutely dominated Chelsea yesterday who still managed 9 shots.

Luton were taking shots at every opportunity today, so I don't take much stock. Even if we generally controlled the game, I'm guessing they still would have managed a fair few shots. Our main issue is that we have players who are totally incapable of playing any possession styled game and consistently feck up promising attacks.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Reminds me of Big Sam the way he has set us up to play.
Allardyce’s sides had far, far, far more control of midfield than we have ever seen from ten Hag. Bolton, especially, played great football through midfield with a bunch of old veterans on their last legs.

git_united

It’s the same story as has been since last season, for me. Results have ticked up which is great, but the performances leave a lot to be desired. We have little ability to control games or to assert our will on opponents, either on the ball or on defense through cohesive pressing. I would rather be winning these games than losing, but great teams shouldn’t look under the cosh against teams like Luton. Short term results feel good but I am left still searching for positive feelings about our long term vision.
All you’ve said is fair for most matches this season but for me this match was clearly about our not putting away chances, and a premier league team playing at home with pride and giving it a go till the end. The best teams would have had the game out of reach after 70 minutes. Otherwise you risk being under the cosh near the end. This was nothing like Villa away.

AneRu

We could be a good team if we just introduced a bit of control to our games, just fuse the current style with more controlled possession because against better talented opponents we won't sustain such a style. It doesn't help that our attackers seem to have a bet on who can make the poorest decision on the break.

Blood Mage

I don't know how anyone can defend the way we play under this guy. But some will try because cult of the manager.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The football isn't sustainable but his fans are seeing something in this style for some reason

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I would say Rasmus scoring is all on Rasmus. Not many of them have been deliberate assists.
But it does that the ingenuity of a manager to instruct the player to hang around the 6 yard box. It's a contrarian view of what strikers are supposed to be doing nowadays.
ETH is a revolutionary.

NickJ

Don’t know what his issue is with substitutions, the front 3 were out in their feet with about 15-20 mins to go. so many counters broke down because of this and they stopped pressing from the front.surely the likes of Amad and Anthony could have given us some energy to see the game through.

rk4utd

Positives - Hojlund (obviously) Mainoo (composed and confident - a gem in the making), solid enough second half at the back with Evans on and Lindelof over matched down the left and most importantly 3 points at a ground where even City/Arsenal and Liverpool have struggled this year - and this was their cup final, circled on the calendar, looked forward to for 32 years game remember….

Negatives - no proper game control again at any point beyond the first 15 minutes, Casemiro looks gone, ditto Varane (but less obvious than Case), lost Shaw yet again (needs to get fit before being rushed back but being saying that since his big injury tbf) Rashford/Fernandes still way off last season’s pace)

Overall a good day - but City away is coming up….and if we continue to play with little to no control in our game, then bring the tin hats again.

Unam333

It’s the same story as has been since last season, for me. Results have ticked up which is great, but the performances leave a lot to be desired. We have little ability to control games or to assert our will on opponents, either on the ball or on defense through cohesive pressing. I would rather be winning these games than losing, but great teams shouldn’t look under the cosh against teams like Luton. Short term results feel good but I am left still searching for positive feelings about our long term vision.
I'm actually really opportunistic, even with Ten Hag as manager, because it seems this time we'll see a proper footballing structure instead of the scattergun approach before the takeover.

I always said that if we have the right players it's easier to implement a manager's football philosophy. I'll stick my neck out and I say that Louis Van Gaal and Mourinho would have been a success if the takeover took place during their time.

Look at our current squad. I would say with the players we have there is little ability to control games. You need specific players to play possession based football. Casemiro, though a great player, isn't really what we need right now, Bruno Fernandes and Rashford aren't suitable for possession based football either.

Just see how much better we play when Martinez is fit. These kind of players do we need to scout and I'm positive with a proper setup we will target the right kind of players.

cyberman

It may be years before we have so many clear chances in one match again

cyberman

To be fair, the Bruno one was amazing defending. I don't think he should've done anything differently.
What drove me mad was why are they so intricate with the ball when rounding the keeper? Knock it wider if you have to but have it far enough away that you’re striding onto it. Garnacho was tripping over the fecking ball at one stage.
Ruud was a master at that. It was past the keeper and one touch, never a second then take the shot

Mike Smalling

The lack of composure in the first half was a real concern, but on the other hand the tactical approach to the second half seemed sound. ETH can't be held responsible for dogshit finishing and decision making in the final third.

Come on mate: 2nd place, 3rd place, one penalty kick away from winning a cup and MILLIONS of semi finals. That's quite an illustrious list of achievements.
Ha ha.
He said I’m obsessed and I think he’s right, I found it absolutely fascinating how a bunch of those Ole acolytes came crawling out in November/December to claim ETH’s dog turd season somehow vindicated Ole.

Now it’s all about league positions, because ETH having a dog shit season and still bettering Ole’s second best season really fecks their brains up.
As though finishing 3rd with 66 was more impressive than say Villa finishing 4th on a projected 75 points when even the third best team is projected to finish on more points than any United side post Fergie. :houllier:

We’re shit this year and I reckon we’ll touch 70 points, imagine how fecking shit we were when these acolytes were declaring a brilliant 3rd placed finish with a miserable 66 points.

Robbie Boy

Ha ha.
He said I’m obsessed and I think he’s right, I found it absolutely fascinating how a bunch of those Ole acolytes came crawling out in November/December to claim ETH’s dog turd season somehow vindicated Ole.

Now it’s all about league positions, because ETH having a dog shit season and still bettering Ole’s second best season really fecks their brains up.
As though finishing 3rd with 66 was more impressive than say Villa finishing 4th on a projected 75 points when even the third best team is projected to finish on more points than any United side post Fergie. :houllier:

We’re shit this year and I reckon we’ll touch 70 points, imagine how fecking shit we were when these acolytes were declaring a brilliant 3rd placed finish on 66 points. We were shit then, we’re shit now.
Exactly.

I have no issue with people saying we've been shite this season, because well, we have. But how in the name of God it exonerates or vindicates Ole is absolutely beyond me.

The same posters calling him a 'fraud' thought Ole done a fantastic job, for the most part. But, this fraud actually won a cup, managed more points than Ole ever managed and made it the FA Cup final, all in his first season. Now, I don't even think that was overly amazing, but it was a solid first season. So, if that makes him a fraud, then what in the world was Ole.

RedOrange

I'm actually really opportunistic, even with Ten Hag as manager, because it seems this time we'll see a proper footballing structure instead of the scattergun approach before the takeover.

I always said that if we have the right players it's easier to implement a manager's football philosophy. I'll stick my neck out and I say that Louis Van Gaal and Mourinho would have been a success if the takeover took place during their time.

Look at our current squad. I would say with the players we have there is little ability to control games. You need specific players to play possession based football. Casemiro, though a great player, isn't really what we need right now, Bruno Fernandes and Rashford aren't suitable for possession based football either.

Just see how much better we play when Martinez is fit. These kind of players do we need to scout and I'm positive with a proper setup we will target the right kind of players.
If he had started this season as manager, Mourinho would have thrown the entire squad under the bus and driven it back and forth over all of them 5 or 6 times before Christmas.

Exactly.

I have no issue with people saying we've been shite this season, because well, we have. But how in the name of God it exonerates or vindicates Ole is absolutely beyond me.

The same posters calling him a 'fraud' thought Ole done a fantastic job, for the most part. But, this fraud actually won a cup, managed more points than Ole ever managed and made it the FA Cup final, all in his first season. Now, I don't even think that was overly amazing, but it was a solid first season. So, if that makes him a fraud, then what in the world was Ole.
Absolutely.

Solid first season, shite second is how judge ETH so far. He is at least improving his second season the longer it goes on though & even at his worst, he’s still bettering Ole’s second best. Tells you everything really.

I’m undecided on ETH, I’m amazed his team has so little control in games, even against shite, but I’m impressed with his treatment of some players and with him using the talent in the youth team.
I think I’m fine with whatever Ineos decide, he certainly hasn’t done enough to make certain he stays in a job.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's pretty amazing when people constantly talk about missed chances, are some of you watching other teams at all? Many teams are missing chances, even more than us.

Have you seen the two goals we scored today? You can easily say both were luckiest goal in the league this season and you wouldn't be wrong.

We are finally creating something, and that's good to see, but our lack of control is still there and sooner or later big teams will embarass us again. We have hardly improved as a team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
"I want him sacked because I bought a ticket for a game this season and would love to see better football" - probably the most pathetic post ever.

Maybe you should have bought ticket for Villa game. Or if you didn't see what emotions it brought maybe you shouldnt brought ticket period.

Blabbering for 12 months how great he is, turned a record for 360 degrees (or 180!) and now everything is shit. Absolute joke. But you (and everyone else) do you. As I said, in 1 year from now I bet you will look pretty well.. fill the blanks.

"Top Red"
I want him replaced because I don't think he is the manager to turn us into a good team. I don't think we are a good team. I have seen nothing from our football to say he is coaching us well. Is it not ok to change your opinion based on the evidence you see in front of you, rather than blindly trusting because of... Nothing? I think he is doing a poor job and we should be much further ahead, development wise, than we are now. That would be fine if there were signs of good coaching that can take us to the top. If there was performance development, a sign of him out-coaching other managers... I just don't see it. I see a chaotic system that has no chance of solidifying us as a top team, regardless of personnel.

My own selfish reasons from before, well it briefly looked like we were entering Rangnick levels of the team not giving a feck. So yes then I was really hoping my trip to watch United vs Arsenal wasn't going to be a 21/22 type of game. But thankfully we've pulled ourselves out of that. But in terms of long term, team development... I just want to see competent coaching and growing into a team that can compete with the best.

sugar_kane

Still not convinced but I’ve warned to him a bit again as he’s finally decided to drop Antony and only utilise McTominay as a sub.

Good to see some better game manage might as well to sub Casemiro and Maguire at half time.

The only surprise was to see Hojlund get subbed and not Rashford (tepid and lazy) and Garnacho (erratic and knackered)

At this point would give him next season, it’s clear the ownership saga was affecting him and the players (not too mention all the other dramas)

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Absolutely.

Solid first season, shite second is how judge ETH so far. He is at least improving his second season the longer it goes on though & even at his worst, he’s still bettering Ole’s second best. Tells you everything really.

I’m undecided on ETH, I’m amazed his team has so little control in games, even against shite, but I’m impressed with his treatment of some players and with him using the talent in the youth team.
I think I’m fine with whatever Ineos decide, he certainly hasn’t done enough to make certain he stays in a job.
Aye, I'm honestly not remotely fussed whether he stays or goes. If he's here next season then obviously massive improvements would be expected, if he's not, I won't lose any sleep over it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We can keep excusing it away but it's yet another record set against us for shots conceded. No I didn't think it was going to be "comfortable" but also just closing our eyes to the fact that we were 2-0 up yet refused to exact any sort of composure or measure of control on the game is fecking stupid. Is that what we are going to do though, just say every away game is a "tough fixture" no matter the opponent and be happy with getting dominated for large portions of the match as long as we win? Because that's a great way to really turn into a midtable club.
Yeah I think a lack of composure is a fair point, but I'd argue Ten Hag needs to strengthen in midfield for that. He's only been given one midfield signing in 2 windows if we consider Mount's lack of availability, and I'm not actually convinced he was a managerial pick.

And I'm not considering bargain deal signings here.