Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 435 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Red-17

Think he has to go at end of season. Has had time. Players are a lot better than fulhams today for example. Incredibly poor tactics and coaching of the team. No urgency going forward, wide open going the other way, I understand one or other of those thing but we consistently have both.
Agreed. Iwobi, Periera, Wilson etc, these are average PL players and we gave them chance after chance today where they realistically should have had 3-4 goals off their counterattacking. Absolutely suicidal play from us. We simultaneously manage to be slow in the build up and reckless with our pressing which is just the prime recipe to be counter attacked. The team has absolutely no composure in possession apart from maybe two players. Just a bunch of hero ball 90% of the time.

redom

Really disappointed in him this season, he's had plenty to deal with but I still think that through all the issues we should have seen signs that the team is improving/evolving and that with certain personnel back and players hitting form that evolution would have solidified and accelerated, especially with the extra time we've had in between games since the turn of the year for him to work on getting his ideas across and prepare the team for each upcoming game.

OT1214

I dont know whether its ETH’s instruction or Bruno and Casemiro deciding themselves, but this “hit and hope to find a player” passes that we make most of the time from our own half is the reason why we cannot control games. It comes off once in a while but concedes possession and control more often than not.

Matriac

SJR will wait until we don't make the CL, then probably go after Tuchel imo.
Tuchel does not represent the kind of football they want United to play.

And I think SJR might be a bit more proactive if he thinks it can make a difference in if we make CL or not. He doesn't want his first full season in charge to be blemished by no CL, especially in a season where 5th could be enough.

Someone

Something
He has failed. You can't objectively say otherwise.

This is the worst we've played post fergie. Even at our best, we never really dominate or play convincingly. We're so poorly coached, and every man and his dog puts us under immense pressure.

I honestly can't find one redeeming quality about his era, he bought poorly, we play poorly, and we aren't getting results. What is there to cling to.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
No that’s true but Ole is much closer to ETH in his managerial ability than may thought ?
Yes I'd agree with that. Ole isn't as bad as many of us (including myself) thought, and ETH isn't as good as many of us (including myself) thought. Still neither one is the required standard.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I’m usually one for sticking with the manager (as seen by my Ole support) but we need a change and a refresh, clear it’s not working

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As for ten Hag, if he is reliant on our whole attack being fit every game in order to produce any decent attacking football, then he's at the wrong club!
Injuries are especially magnified if you don't buy the right players in the summer to offset them. The Ducker question about why he didn't buy two strikers was particularly timely.

Superden

Fact! This manager is shite and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. He won't come out of this. He looks out of his depth
the thing that really gets my goat is that hes persevered with the same systems even though though they dont work. stubborn to the point of utterly insane.

Gordon Godot

How have the performances evolved since Wolves did the same to us at the start of the season. They also cut through us at will and could have scored 3 or 4. No different today. I am sorry, ETH is not good enough. I have no idea what he wants this team to do and its clear the players dont either. Get him gone asap.

Danny

Does anyone understand what he's actually trying to achieve system wise because I just don't see it.

Teams are constantly breaking through our press (loose term) and getting at the back line. Made Pereira look like De Brunye today.

Can't he see the glaring ssue or is he too stubborn to change?

Dannn411

I mean just look at those stats. Total suicide playing this way and what makes it worse is that the guy is so stubborn and thinks he's hot sh*t because of one lucky Champions League semifinal run that he ended up choking anyways in the worst way possible. Roberto Di Matteo and Tuchel won the Champions League. You're not special mate. We should have known. He is the manager that allowed fecking Tottenham get to a Champions League final.

Ágætis Byrjun

Post SAF, you can at least attribute some trait to the managers. ETH is the most pointless and has the personality of a wet tissue.

E-mal

He is rubbish, delusional cnut. He is out of his depth and needs to be sacked

bstb3

If there weren't any nails in the coffin before today (and we really don't know if there were or not) there sure as hell is one now. First game post Ineos and we serve that up. Disastrous timing, clueless performance from the team he picked and motivated. He needs a lot better than this to keep his job I think.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If our games were regularly finishing 4-3 and whatever, you'd be able to argue in favour of what we're seeing, and that by tightening up a little bit we're going places. Similar to Klopp's first couple of seasons at Liverpool.

But we're seeing absolutely no attacking return for what is a suicidal system. It's just been the worst of both worlds.

El Jefe

I’ve watched Liverpool pick up points through all of 2024 with many injuries and still manage to look like a team.

The only reason why we suffer so much when players are injured is because EtH hasn’t been able to coach the side to a position where the system is king. It’s all player dependent just as it was with Ole but possibly even worse.

Has to go. Hes a middle of the table level manager.

Widow

EtH time is surely coming to an end. Even during the mini-run of four on the bounce, we looked dreadful and he clearly can't get a tune out of most of the players. A good manager makes players better, and I don't see that in our side. As soon as we lose a few clear players, we're done to the point that I didn't expect the win today. I don't know where our goals are coming from when RH is out, MR looks like a shadow of himself and even with LS backing him up, he isn't a player at the level we will need going forward. Stay until the end of the season as I thought it was going to be very hard to achieve top four before today but after that performance, I just don't see it.

Thanks for the effort EtH but a new dawn requires a new man at the helm.

Tiber

I know he is shite but so are many people associated with the club, its his arrogance that really bothers me

Took some nerve to throw a strop when his transfers were questioned this week.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We are a dumb team that do dumb things with dumbing regulatory.

And they say a team is a reflection of their manager...

E-mal

I mean just look at those stats. Total suicide playing this way and what makes it worse is that the guy is so stubborn and thinks he's hot sh*t because of one lucky Champions League semifinal run that he ended up choking anyways in the worst way possible. Roberto Di Matteo and Tuchel won the Champions League. You're not special mate. We should have known. He is the manager that allowed fecking Tottenham get to a Champions League final.
Fact! I never wanted him, the Dutch league is shite and we should not bring anybody with any decent money or commitment.

Walters_19_MuFc

Injuries are especially magnified if you don't buy the right players in the summer to offset them. The Ducker question about why he didn't buy two strikers was particularly timely.
There's that, of course, but even with the players he had at his disposal today, we should be beating that Fulham side, no disrespect to them.

It wasn't even a case of, we were unlucky. They came to OT, played us off the park, especially in the first half, and deserved to win.

SAFMUTD

Unless something really special happens between now and the end of the season he's got to go. Forget about the results the performances are as shitty as ever.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
10 defeats in the league.

Bottom of a CL group that included copenhagen and galatasary

GD of ZERO. With only 36 goals scored in 24 games.

Grim doesnt even begin to cover it.

pjaya

Hope to see an end to ETH soon
Also sell Rasford and Bruno while at it

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
His inability to setup a functional midfield is annoying me greatly. Been our biggest issue all season, done nothing to change it.

Bobski

I dont know whether its ETH’s instruction or Bruno and Casemiro deciding themselves, but this “hit and hope to find a player” passes that we make most of the time from our own half is the reason why we cannot control games. It comes off once in a while but concedes possession and control more often than not.
Of course it is his instructions. Ideally ball to striker, lays the ball back, triggers the run, either Bruno or Cas hump it down either wing and repeat. We have see that pattern repeated so often that it can not be denied that is tactical, Ten Hag has no interest in using the midfield to control possession or tempo, it is just killer ball, killer ball, allow transition to set up transition. Maybe that worked with Ajax having better player than everyone but in England it is just a chaotic mess.

If Fulham were at all efficient today's with their counters, it could have been 6/7/8, and this happens game after game, can't just rely on the other team missing chances.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ten Hag makes me miss Mourinho. :lol:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Anyone still thinks that it is sustainable to concede close to 20 shots (17) in a single game, as long as only few of those (5) are on target and the xGA is OK-ish (1.11)? Play with fire, you'll eventually get your fingers burnt...

Yanited__

Writing this post Fulham at home. Wasn't at the game so couldn't gauge the crowd reaction but can imagine it's one of frustration.

I previously said I will back Ten Hag until end of the season as he deserves that. I still maintain that.

The narrative around Ten Hag keeping his job at the moment is top 4/champions league or nothing. For me, there needs to be a significant improvement or a better gameplan when we're on the ball against a team that sits back.

Again, today's game felt like a snooze fest in the first half at home, a common theme not just this season but in previous ones too. Any team that comes to Old Trafford and sits back, tends to frustrate us. Worryingly, we look clueless on the ball in these scenarios. This has to change for me to continue backing Ten Hag.

I think we could snatch top 4/top 5 playing poorly like this, but that's not good enough. The same problems will appear next season, it's a temporary solution to a chronic problem. It masks the core issue that's been going on with this side for a few years now.

The decider for me, is an improvement in style in these scenarios. If I see that, I am willing to give him more time. Otherwise, it's time for something fresh (again).