Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 264 38.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 420 61.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Am I right in thinking that our worst ever defeats in a season was 12 and we are now on 11?
Yes, but only if we consider the Premier League years.

Not even close from an All-Time perspective, unfortunately. We've lost more than 20 league matches quite a few times with a 42 match schedule (including a season where we wound up with a goal differential of minus 62!)

Even in the modern era with a 38 match schedule, we lost 16 league matches in Alex Ferguson's third full season as United manager.

SAFMUTD

This.

Then again, we'd get tonked 6-0 if we went for it. Can we just not show up and give them the 3-0 walkover?
Other clubs don't. I mean how many 6-0 does city get? We're top 6 quality but set up like relegation candidates.

RORY65

And Kwambala's not even made a case.
Sure because we haven't had as many players missing as we did by the end of today's game so we had to go to the next option. Our first 11 is bobbins so of course maybe the 10th defensive option is going to be crap, the idea that there was some clearly better option available just isn't the case. Amrabat is absolutely terrible, he wasn't changing anything if he had come on at left back.

astracrazy

We've been having defensive injuries all season and no Kwambala to be seen.

But now he comes on, in the toughest game of the season?

Talk about throwing players into the deep end
What part don't you understand? He was the only defender on the bench. Probably the only defender fit not already playing. What else would you suggest?

C'est Moi Cantona

Grim, we turned up knowing we'd lose, he just didn't want it to be by a cricket score, so job done in that regard I suppose, but that was pathetic.

Sacking him won't please me at all, but i seems inevitable at this point.

BuzzKillington

Can’t believe INEOS will let ETH continue to let us deteriorate like this for another two months.

There’s more opportunity to train the team now over the last two months of the season than there will be in the summer, which will be dictated by the Euros, Copa American and our pre-season tour.

If you want to see a proper change for the beginning of next season, you need to start now.
I personally reckon they’ll give him the game against Pool in the cup, once that inevitability is done with, he’ll get the boot on the following Monday.

Skills

Snitch
It’s not just that. Of course managers who oversee us playing like a team two divisions down against our rivals should be sacked but the club as a whole seems affected only by the results. Even executives overseeing consistently pathetic displays like we put out against Liverpool and City should have been sacked. Manchester United should not play this way - even if we win 1-0. The brand / tradition / stature of the club is being dragged through the mud.
Standards come from the fanbase at the real big European clubs. Manchester United are a huge club with the fanbase that belongs to Crystal Palace or Burnley.

The lack of reaction to the 7-0 last season told the entire football world we're a joke, and the fanbase is the biggest factor behind it.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I know we don't have the quality but neither other 14-15 teams on the league yet we always set up as cowards on the Etihad and Anfield. I'm tired of this, we end up losing anyway but we manage to drag the prestige of the club along.
He tried playing a single pivot with Eriksen and Bruno in midfield at the Etihad last season and City walked through our midfield and scored 6. Today was the best starting lineup he could've picked with the options available.

spiriticon

Amrabat caused the last goal , Kambwala didn’t do anything as blatant as that.
It's not a matter of who's fault is it (the third goal was a hospital ball by Casemiro), but rather bizarre timing to give someone minutes.

We've had injuries all year and Kwambala's not been given a sniff, but for some reason today is the day to give him a go. Not when Varane go injured. Not when Maguire got injured. Not when Shaw got injured.

That is what I'm baffled about. Just wierd.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, speaking to Match of the Day: "I think it was a good performance overall, we went 1-0 up and we had our moments after it to score the second one.

"We defended very well and there were two defining moments when we nearly made a breakthrough and conceded the first goal.

"Then you are disappointed, we have to accept it and still were had the opportunties to at least get one point, but the win was also possible."

On Kyle Walker foul on Marcus Rashford: "I looked back and asked Rashy [Rashford] if there was contact, maybe soft but there was contact."

On tactics: "Getting behind the defending line with the speed of Garnacho, already after a couple of minutes there was some good breakthrough and then quickly after it was a good goal from Rashford.

"We closed the middle very good and the box very good.

"We stuck to the plan and we had the moment of the reckless action of the goalkeeper of City and after that attack we conceded the goal."

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes, speaking to Sky Sports: "I think the commitment from the team was there.

"We had our chances. Sometimes we played a little too deep but you know City do that to all the teams, you have to defend your box and we did that really well in the first half. From a chance that could be ours it ended up 1-1.

"There's always something more you can do in the game, if it is City or someone else you can always do something better. City are a team that knows how to have the ball and pin teams back. We knew we had to defend our goal really well and I think we did, we should have had more spells with the ball than we did in the second half."

On fight to get in Champions League: "Every time you don't win a game it is a damage at this club. We know what this club demands and we want to win the games we are involved in. We didn't get the three points today but there's still a long way to go. We know it is not everything in our hands because other teams have to lose points but we have to do our job."

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Surely Erik's position is untenable now after yet another show of tactical cluelessness today.
The tactics we used today were the only ones we could've used in the absence of a serious goal threat on the other end. If you don't have a striker, your only hope is to defend and hope to nick a goal on the counter, which worked for the better part of the first hour.

evil_geko

The guy got to a semi-final and blew a 3-0-lead at home and you're crowning him. Do you know how many average managers have gotten to Champions League semi-finals? Its hardly a major feat. Rudi Garcia has gotten to a CL semi. Stefano Pioli was in the CL semis last year. Roberto Di Matteo won the Champions League. Thomas Tuchel won the Champions League. So one CL semi-final run says precisely f*** all about the quality of a manager. But £400m to build a squad and 100 games will absolutely tell you about a mamager's level and we know for sure now that the guy is a grade A fraud.
Another post that proves my point, nowhere in my post did I crown him, I just called him what he is, a very good manager, that doesn't mean he is being crowned, but you like many I was talking about, only think in extremes, he is either amazing or dogshit worst manager, there is nothing in between.

Laurencio

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, speaking to Match of the Day: "I think it was a good performance overall, we went 1-0 up and we had our moments after it to score the second one.

"We defended very well and there were two defining moments when we nearly made a breakthrough and conceded the first goal.

"Then you are disappointed, we have to accept it and still were had the opportunties to at least get one point, but the win was also possible."

On Kyle Walker foul on Marcus Rashford: "I looked back and asked Rashy [Rashford] if there was contact, maybe soft but there was contact."

On tactics: "Getting behind the defending line with the speed of Garnacho, already after a couple of minutes there was some good breakthrough and then quickly after it was a good goal from Rashford.

"We stuck to the plan and we had the moment of the reckless action of the goalkeeper of City and after that attack we conceded the goal."

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes, speaking to Sky Sports: "I think the commitment from the team was there.

"We had our chances. Sometimes we played a little too deep but you know City do that to all the teams, you have to defend your box and we did that really well in the first half. From a chance that could be ours it ended up 1-1.

"There's always something more you can do in the game, if it is City or someone else you can always do something better. City are a team that knows how to have the ball and pin teams back. We knew we had to defend our goal really well and I think we did, we should have had more spells with the ball than we did in the second half."

On fight to get in Champions League: "Every time you don't win a game it is a damage at this club. We know what this club demands and we want to win the games we are involved in. We didn't get the three points today but there's still a long way to go. We know it is not everything in our hands because other teams have to lose points but we have to do our job."
:houllier:

astracrazy

It's not a matter of who's fault is it (the third goal was a hospital ball by Casemiro), but rather bizarre timing to give someone minutes.

We've had injuries all year and Kwambala's not been given a sniff, but for some reason today is the day to give him a go. Not when Varane go injured. Not when Maguire got injured. Not when Shaw got injured.

Because there was someone else he could play? Whats wierd is no matter how many people keep pointing it out to you....you still don't get it.

He was brough on because Evans was injured. Every other defender is also injured or already on the pitch so he was the only choice. How does that not make sense....

SAFMUTD

He tried playing a single pivot with Eriksen and Bruno in midfield at the Etihad last season and City walked through our midfield and scored 6. Today was the best starting lineup he could've picked with the options available.
That's on us for not implementing a better system to compete. There are plenty teams with worse squads than ours yet they don't set up like we do at the Etihad.

Devil81

This notion we may as well stick with him until the summer. I don't get it at all, why wouldn't we want the possibility of a new manager bounce. Whether that's a temp manager or permanent manager.

Personally I'd bring back Ole until the end of the season over keeping ETH. He's going nowhere now, make it clear its caretaker only and let ETH to get back to life in Holland. Best all round for all parties involved.

mav_9me

We've been having defensive injuries all season and no Kwambala to be seen.

But now he comes on, in the toughest game of the season?

Talk about throwing players into the deep end
Didn't he start against West Ham and he came on in another league match and 2 FA cup matches too, no?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

I don't even think it's that bad a ball tbh, just chest it and hoof it. Instead he thinks he's got all day because he's already accepted the game is over. City didn't.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The guy got to a semi-final and blew a 3-0-lead at home and you're crowning him. Do you know how many average managers have gotten to Champions League semi-finals? Its hardly a major feat. Rudi Garcia has gotten to a CL semi. Stefano Pioli was in the CL semis last year. Roberto Di Matteo won the Champions League. Thomas Tuchel won the Champions League. So one CL semi-final run says precisely f*** all about the quality of a manager. But £400m to build a squad and 100 games will absolutely tell you about a mamager's level and we know for sure now that the guy is a grade A fraud.
One game where Dusan Tadic had one of the best games ever by a player.

Jev

The guy is taking the piss. Been talking like a man who knows the jig is up for a while now. Everything he says reeks of desperation.

Joseunited

11 defeats in 27, staggering!Based on recent United managerial history he must be living on borrowed time.

spiriticon

Because there was someone else he could play? Whats wierd is no matter how many people keep pointing it out to you....you still don't get it.

He was brough on because Evans was injured. Every other defender is also injured or already on the pitch so he was the only choice. How does that not make sense....
It doesn't make sense because he played Amrabat in defence over Kwambala earlier in the season when all the defenders were injured. But okay, now is the time to give Kwambala his minutes.

It's not a big deal, it's just confusing.

Nothing wrong with Kwambala's cameo, though he certainly didn't help much either.

lilcurt

Ok, I want what ETH is smoking. I'm not his biggest critic but telling Sky Sports it was a game of fine margins, and on another day we win the game is madness. Apparently we played well...

Chairman Steve

I’ve said it before but I think INEOS will conclude (or have already concluded) that Arnold, Murtough and ETH are culpable for the squad composition and performance. Arnold got kicked out. Murtough’s position is very much vulnerable if we’re hiring Ashworth, Wilcox and a Head of Recruitment. ETH is hanging by a thread with poor results and poor performances.

INEOS will want a clean slate of everything significant that was solely signed off by the Glazers.