Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 559 53.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 481 46.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Robbie Boy

It's progress though, ten hag cultists wouldn't accept he was worse until recently
People thought Ole was progress too... Some still fecking think it was. The absolute worst cultists of the lot. I've never got the weird super-defence of managers bullshit that people get caught up in on here.

city-puma

Even Pep knows how we setup.... Magic eeh

This so-called “transition” team is so bad that it’s a shame to even compare it with Ole’s transition team.
we need to get Potter in to really change our play style and philosophy.

mu4c_20le

People thought Ole was progress too... Some still fecking think it was. The absolute worst cultists of the lot. I've never got the weird super-defence of managers bullshit that people get caught up in on here.
Agreed, comparing who was less shit is not something worth arguing about. I mean comparing is normal, but stanning and getting into angry arguments is fecking stupid.

Dannn411

He should've said "these lot are shit and I can't wait to sell half of them". They clearly seem like a bunch that respond well to public criticism.
Who cares how they feel? At this point, the best thing to do is to call them all out publicly and immediately banish any of the players who sulk or moan to the reserves so you know that you are working with mature, responsible people at least. If you do a shit job you desrve to be called out for it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree, we didnt actually seem to have any tactics at all today and were only so defensive as City exploited our lack of any tactics or game plan and forced us to be.

Not having a striker isnt an excuse as Ole managed to win there with no striker.
Ole had players who scored upwards of 20 to 30 goals each year. Our leading scorer has 7, so yes it is a completely valid point that being terrible can be linked to not having players who can score goals. This has forced ETH (particularly in the absence of Hojlund) to double down on defensive football. Not having several potential goal scorers available to him for a variety of reasons is also a factor.

wolvored

He is deluded as feck his comment after the game "The players gave everything, the performance was very good.It was very small margins" We had 27% possession and 2 shots, 1 on target! Get him out ASAP

hobbers

Journalists need to start properly laying into him now. And not the polite kind that Carragher was doing.

How are you progressing Erik? Where is the progress in fewer goals scored, more conceded, unprecedented defeats, bottom in CL group, negative goal difference, shockingly poor performances, rock bottom morale, rock bottom confidence...

Robbie Boy

Agreed, comparing who was less shit is not something worth arguing about. I mean comparing is normal, but stanning and getting into angry arguments is fecking stupid.
Exactly, I don't know why people need to clarify who has been more shit? Because none have been remotely successful and they've all pissed money up the wall on dross, for the most part.

Laurencio

Yeah he has no idea how to set us up for it.
He has to know, it's about as basic as it gets. To me he just seems stubborn. The principles of counter attacking aren't THAT difficult; move the ball quickly, keep the ball moving forward and finish the attack. The way we played, moving the ball back to the goalkeeper and building from the back on the left, goes against the most basic counter attacking principles.

git_united

I get calls for ten Hag out over his whole body of work but I don’t think this match should be used as a stick to beat him with. He set us up well and had a plan. There were times in the first half where it looked like we moved out the back with ease, where city was scared to press wholeheartedly because of how fluid we were and it seemed like we would create good chances whenever we wanted to. Somehow that translated to only 3 touches in their box. But the general play was good. Second half was shambolic … I almost wish Haaland had scored before half time and given us a chance to reset.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Who cares how they feel? At this point, the best thing to do is to call them all out publicly and immediately banish any of the players who sulk or moan to the reserves so you know that you are working with mature, responsible people at least. If you do a shit job you desrve to be called out for it.
Excellent idea. Banish them to the reserves and start the likes of Forson every week.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s troubling that he thinks this was a good performance. We had fight and commitment but no quality. His reign for me is probably the second worst behind Moyes for post Fergie managers at this point.

Superunknown

He seemed to be quite tough at the start of his tenure, taking that team for that run after the 4-0 loss against Brentford. But he just seems to be becoming more and more out of touch. What he says and what we see on the pitch are two very different things.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ole had players who scored upwards of 20 to 30 goals each year. Our leading scorer has 7, so yes it is a completely valid point that being terrible can be linked to not having players who can score goals. This has forced ETH (particularly in the absence of Hojlund) to double down on defensive football. Not having several potential goal scorers available to him for a variety of reasons is also a factor.
What? Ole had the same star man ETH had in Rashford. So who are these "players that scored upwards of 20 to 30 goals" unless I guess you're counting Cavani (who never scored 20 but was very good when fit his first year here) or a less shit version of Bruno (but he's a midfielder). Martial in 19-20 was brilliant (my favorite striker season we've had post SAF) but that was his best season by far it's not like he was some consistent bagsmen.

The difference between Ole and ETH in games like today is that we actually countered with a purpose under Ole with set transitional patterns as opposed to just running around like we saw today.

RedRocket9908

I cant remember a single player who scored 20 to 30 goals per year under Ole.

Not having a striker is not a valid excuse for the manager having us playing with no gameplan or tactics.

The reason our top scorer has only 7 is 100% down to Erik's really poor management of the team.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not having a striker is not a valid excuse for the manager having us playing with no gameplan or tactics.
Rashford was basically the only one. I think Bruno hit 20 something one year but he scored a ton of pens. Martial scored 22 or something in the lockdown year. That's about it

Red00012

It's not a matter of who's fault is it (the third goal was a hospital ball by Casemiro), but rather bizarre timing to give someone minutes.

We've had injuries all year and Kwambala's not been given a sniff, but for some reason today is the day to give him a go. Not when Varane go injured. Not when Maguire got injured. Not when Shaw got injured.

That is what I'm baffled about. Just wierd.
I’m failing to get what you don’t understand . We had 1 Defender on the bench. The rest are all injured .

city-puma

You could point to a huge amount of great counter attack goals under Ole. I can't think of one under ETH.
Yes. Ole as a club legend still being shitted here by the so called fans. It’s really sad. But we know the counter attack football can’t win the league. Ole failed to make the change even though the real cause is complicated.
when we appointed ETH, I watched that cup final between Ajax and PSV. I worried about how chaotic Ajax was playing that game. Now, we have seen the similar the whole season. I am very disappointed. My first choice then is Potter. Hope this time, the right manager can be appointed.

Aretak

Ten Hag won't do that because it won't benefit him. It might benefit the club in the long run, but he wouldn't be around to see it so it's not in his interest. Whilst he might have decided to completely dismiss Rangnick's offer of advice, I'm sure he saw and remembers the reaction of a many of these same players to being called out in the media back then. It didn't motivate them to prove Ralf wrong. They just downed tools and that's exactly what they'd do again.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can’t see how he’s still here next season. He’d need a miracle. An fa cup win and top 4.

spiriticon

I’m failing to get what you don’t understand . We had 1 Defender on the bench. The rest are all injured .
It's simply the choice of playing an experienced midfielder as a makeshift defender vs playing a young and inexperienced defender.

Ten Hag has been leaning to Choice 1 all season and today he suddenly switched to Choice 2.

It doesn't matter anyway, neither choice works. Ten Hag may as well have played a 3-5-2.

Lee565

I would take potter over him at this point, if we want to play pragmatic counter attacking football we may as well get mourinho back or get conte or simeone, that is all we see from ten hag in big matches and the former managers do it far better.

At least potter at Chelsea and Brighton tried to play football no matter the opposition, to be honest at Chelsea he seem to be lacking a good striker and we have that at club (when he is fit).

It's funny that ten hag is suppose to be the one based on one good champions league campaign but funnily enough potchettino is seen as overrated despite doing a better job in that same champions league season and lost the final by a dreadful bar decision and he has won a league title medal in a better league than ten hag, just to note I'm not saying we should hire potch either.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It all goes back to that speech by SAF when he was leaving. Performative bullshit support, instead of realistic expectations and looking at the club with open eyes.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can’t believe INEOS will let ETH continue to let us deteriorate like this for another two months.

There’s more opportunity to train the team now over the last two months of the season than there will be in the summer, which will be dictated by the Euros, Copa America and our pre-season tour.

If you want to see a proper change for the beginning of next season, you need to start now.
All eyes are on them at this point. I've been a supporter of their bid since the start, but alarm bells will be ringing if they don't take action and allow this season to fester without even a whisper.

Ok, I want what ETH is smoking. I'm not his biggest critic but telling Sky Sports it was a game of fine margins, and on another day we win the game is madness. Apparently we played well...
He's insulting the intelligence of the fan base, I keep saying this. I honestly don't know who he's trying to kid. I think even his supporters would prefer he came out and said it as it is. He just looks a complete idiot if he really believes what he comes out with.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

The reason our top scorer has only 7 is 100% down to Erik's really poor management of the team.
Sorry, I added Rashford's 30 but that was under ETH. Unsurprisingly we managed to finish 3rd and get CL football because of them.

ETH's results at United have been partly his fault (namely bad transfer decisions) and partly issues that were generally out of his control such as not having Greenwood available, the CR7 meltdown, his bizarre falling out with Sancho, incredibly unfortunate injuries to Martinez both this year and last, Mount, Erickson, and Shaw being unavailable as well. Having any of these players available would've changed our results from 6th to 4th or better this year. He's doing the best with what he has available. What I can't excuse is how he squandered absurd money on transfers who most of us knew wouldn't give back what we paid for them. That is inexcusable.

Baneofthegame

It’s become delusional at this point, I understand he can’t come out and say “well we are shit”, but the whole progress thing is also madness, progressing to what? We play the exact same way we did with Ole and it’s criminal.

I would have happily sacrificed last season to implement his style he had at Ajax and just said “whoever can’t play it can leave”.