Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 291 40.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 429 59.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Some have dug in so hard defending Ten Hag's terrible football it's funny just seeing them repeat 'injuries' in nearly every post because they've got thing else.

dubplate warrior

I actually love that even when we win games we have wound up fans trying to wish our manager gets axed :lol:
It's more the unsustainable nature of victories we have. If you never win convincingly, scraping most games, you'll likely end up losing lots of games. Will end up with us receiving a battering.

It's such a rudimentary take to just assume fans are frothing at the mouth to be as negative as possible about the manager and team. Everyone wants United to win.

Malone_Post

We were fine last season, just not great in the final third of the season. For a debut season it was very good.
And we aren't scintillating this season but at least we can bounce back with results and show commitment and effort. That was not the case for Ole in his final year, so I think the point I've made is clear.

Good amount of BS there, considering Villa play Spurs this weekend and both clubs are yet to play City again too.
The point you’ve made is very clear. You have absolutely no standards or ambition.

As for your second point, we were closer to the CL spots at the time Ole was sacked with far more of the season to play then we currently are under ETH. It will take a minor miracle to chase down a potential 11 point gap with 10 games to play. Yet apparently we had no chance that season but still have a chance this season? Make it make sense.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The point you’ve made is very clear. You have absolutely no standards or ambition.
Again, you haven't read my post well if that's what you've taken from it.

You cant just make up a point out of the blue by insinuating something false.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This is fine, but he is a limited manager and this became obvious last year, without injures. Our run in last year was awful.

His squad management is poor too, he ran some players into the ground last year. I don't buy all those injuries are just bad luck
Those injuries are two distinct doctors: a) bad luck it has struck specific key players b) the fact the after amidst a long, grueling Europa league campaign, United made two domestic finals, in a season with a world cup in mid season and Euro league matches to end the season.

Factor B especially has hit every team that tried to compete for things last year. Yet currently in Europe Manchester United and Real Madrid have been hit hardest. For its affected their key players the most

stevoc

People used to get on Ole's back about 'vibes' football. This chaos is way worse than anything we produced back then
Sadly yes and you can't blame the awful/inept standard of our play solely on injuries.

Malone_Post

Take away our two penalties and what do we have
Less shots, less corners but 2% more possession and 2 more shots on target.

Anyone expecting more from a United team at home against a side in 16th place is being unrealistic.

King Eric 7

How many times have we put in what would be viewed as a good performance this season? I reckon I can count the number of decent league performances this season on one hand. Our points tally make the situation look even better than it is. ETH has simply benefited from the protracted takeover otherwise I think he would have been sacked already.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I actually love that even when we win games we have wound up fans trying to wish our manager gets axed :lol:
Much more objective than last year, when after countless lucky and invidiualistic wins based on player's quality and nothing else people thought we are winning because we have good manager on our bench.

Djemba-Djemba

How many times have we put in what would be viewed as a good performance this season? I reckon I can count the number of decent league performances this season on one hand. Our points tally make the situation look even better than it is. ETH has simply benefited from the protracted takeover otherwise I think he would have been sacked already.
Full 90 minutes good league performances this season?

Zero I think. Maybe West ham at Home?

The 1st half against Wolves away and the 2nd half against Villa at home we were very good but that was only for a half.

mancsarered

Here's a good post-match mental exercise for the EtH die-hards. Who is getting more out of what's put in front of them, Dyche or ten Hag?

mu4c_20le

We were fine last season, just not great in the final third of the season. For a debut season it was very good.
And we aren't scintillating this season but at least we can bounce back with results and show commitment and effort. That was not the case for Ole in his final year, so I think the point I've made is clear.

Good amount of BS there, considering Villa play Spurs this weekend and both clubs are yet to play City again too.
The only point you've made is why he shouldn't be immediately sacked, and its because he hasn't completely lost the dressing room yet. I can't remember any game this season where we've genuinely played well and didn't just win off of individual brilliance.

mu4c_20le

I don't think we played great, but this is a bit of a silly point. We could have had more pens and had opportunities.
I don't think we created enough. Without the early goals it looked like we were headed for another nervy afternoon

Do you believe the performances from the 11 that started today and last week are the absolute limits to their potential?

Yes. 3 managers running. We all know how bad Rashford's bottom level is and that he isn't that effective at cf. We all know he tends to score in big games. We all know Mctominay will never help you in the build up of attacks in midfield. We all know Lindeloff is too slow to keep up with anyone with pace. We all know this squad can only beat City on the counter or with smash and grab.

So the biggest question is why people feel entitled to it being vastly different under ETH with the same players?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The only point you've made is why he shouldn't be immediately sacked, and its because he hasn't completely lost the dressing room yet. I can't remember any game this season where we've genuinely played well and didn't just win off of individual brilliance.
He's been dealt a bad hand with injuries this season, which is why I'm happy to give him time so long as he can maintain a decent record of getting points on the board against beatable teams.

Also a lot of you guys seem to think I want to defend him forever - for me he's on shaky ground too, but I just want to make my mind up after he has a more fit squad to work with. Right now I dont care who the feck our manager is, I know its daft to expect dominant and pleasing displays when you have such an injury ridden squad not suited to progressive football.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't think we created enough. Without the early goals it looked like we were headed for another nervy afternoon
We still conceded too many opportunities, but we actually created a fair bit in comparison to our usual dour performances.

If Garnacho hadn't shown the decision making of a teenager at times we should have had at least 3 easy extra goals. Yet that is not all we wasted today. Lacking creativity is not what the side can be accused of today. Rather they were pretty sloppy with possession. It gave Everton hope for too long all game

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Less shots, less corners but 2% more possession and 2 more shots on target.

Anyone expecting more from a United team at home against a side in 16th place is being unrealistic.
A side who haven’t won since December, either. It’s a tough ask.

The Hilton

How do you know that they made an incorrect assessment? You do realize that a medical staff can't predict relapses, they can give you a best case scenario or an average recovery time but they can't tell you how things will 100% develop. And that's the point that I tried to make, the quote and some of the interpretations make next to zero sense, doctors are not oracles.

To be clear. When a medical staff tells you that a normal recovery for a particular condition is 6 months, they are not telling you that you will be fine in 6 months, they are giving you the typical recovery time. At an individual level that assessment never stops and the recovery time can be shorter or longer depending on each individual. Which is why I stated that unless, the player is actually fit, you can't assume that his recovery time will be over at a particular time.
You're suggesting that the medical team didn't give any advice focusing on Shaw or Malacia, and instead only gave generic recovery timelines? Come on mate, that's ridiculous.

It's been clearly stated by ETH that our medical team expected both Shaw and Malacia to be back by the middle of the season. No prediction can be 100% accurate, but the medical team working with players on a daily basis should be able to offer reasonably accurate recovery timelines.

TsuWave

Shaky fist half, meandering second - I remember feeling similar when we won those five games, though not sure if in that order.

It's the way we play football now, so it is what it is.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
No result will touch that 6 goal second half collapse at Anfield. Honestly. It was with 11 men plus subs. No red card. No injury.
I disagree, I'm pretty sure Liverpool were 5 up by the time Pogba got sent off at OT, with a half hour still to play which they decided to just see out rather than getting the extra couple of goals they easily could have. The 7-0 was every single shot they took the last 10 minutes going in. Both were the worst things I've ever seen, I'd say the OT one edges it though.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

As for your second point, we were closer to the CL spots at the time Ole was sacked with far more of the season to play then we currently are under ETH. It will take a minor miracle to chase down a potential 11 point gap with 10 games to play. Yet apparently we had no chance that season but still have a chance this season? Make it make sense.
But it really was very different under Ole mate. When Ole got sacked they had a run of 8 games: 5 loses, 1 draw and just 2 wins.

Atm Ten Hag has an 8 game PL game run of 5 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses, one vs the current high flying champs City.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...manchester-united-premier-league-match-report

Evenmore damning is when you look at the Line Up on that last Ole game, a 4 - 1 loss against Watford.

De Gea

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Matic
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo
Oles bench was Bailly Mata Martial Lingard Fred Dalot VdBeek telles heaton.

Just look at the difference in performance and similarities squad-wise today. Ten Hag has to make do with a lot less, but made Dalot shine, AWB has been a fine perfomer and I cant even remember when Maguire had a game when he was a disaster from minute 1 till 90. McTominay, for all his lack of quality, is club top scorer. Shaw is now a stand out key player.

And look at that Ole bench. Nevermind who was leading the line at that Watford game, the GOAT CR7. He had a lot better available squad and yet, Ole results are a lot worse than Ten Hag. A lot. Don''t delude yourself please.

For all Ten Hags faults and sure he has a few, compared to Ole and his predecessors, he brings much better football, results with a pound for pound lesser team than Ole had in that Watford game. Not perfect, not SAF top of the world, but Ten Hag is better.

The bottom line if the play is no good or wanted, the results have to count. 2-0 and a clean sheet today. 5 wins out of 8, with this squad, is a good result, period.

We are close to getting back our key people, lets see how it goes in april. And lets just enjoy next week. If we win 1-0 from LFC in the same way we was winning against City in the 50th minute last week, I will be a happy man.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenitoSTARR

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not like you’ve ever done the same :rolleyes:
Not when we get good results no. The manager I was most against was Ole, and he started picking up broad form despite underperforming XG, I backed him. Till we stopped running and bothering that is.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You're suggesting that the medical team didn't give any advice focusing on Shaw or Malacia, and instead only gave generic recovery timelines? Come on mate, that's ridiculous.

It's been clearly stated by ETH that our medical team expected both Shaw and Malacia to be back by the middle of the season. No prediction can be 100% accurate, but the medical team working with players on a daily basis should be able to offer reasonably accurate recovery timelines.
No I'm suggesting that any timetable is dependent on future reevaluation. As an example if in October the medical staff tells you that Malacia is scheduled to be back in January, any future evaluation of Malacia's recovery could lengthen or shorten the timetable. No medical staff can accurately predict whether someone is going to relapse or not, nor can they predict the extent of said relapse.

As long as you don't have one or both of them actually fit, you are taking a gamble if you reduce your depth and it's not the responsibility of the medical staff. Ending Regulon's loan was a Football or financial decision that is on Murtough, the owners and/or ETH.

I disagree, I'm pretty sure Liverpool were 5 up by the time Pogba got sent off at OT, with a half hour still to play which they decided to just see out rather than getting the extra couple of goals they easily could have. The 7-0 was every single shot they took the last 10 minutes going in. Both were the worst things I've ever seen, I'd say the OT one edges it though.
Fair enough. For me nothing beats letting in 6 in one half, none are high XG chances yet you have no red cards, no injuries and 5 sub's at your disposal. It's the worst collective abidication of duty I have ever witnessed from Manchester United as a club. Liverpool literally had a very ordinary to poor game yet were able to finish 7 nil up!

RedStarUnited

Full 90 minutes good league performances this season?

Zero I think. Maybe West ham at Home?

The 1st half against Wolves away and the 2nd half against Villa at home we were very good but that was only for a half.
Even that game the score line is deceptive. West Ham had enough chances to score.

We have not had a single commanding league performance all season.

stevoc

And that's carried on into this season, which means we've had more bad form than good under Ten Hag. And been pretty bad for the best part of 12 months now.

Well we could have did that under Ole as well if he hadn't been sacked and continued in the job for another 4-6 months. We've been worse for most of this season than we were back in November 2021 when Solksjaer got sacked. The only reason he's still here is the takeover leaving no one in charge wanting to take responsibility for the decision.

RedStarUnited

Fair enough. For me nothing beats letting in 6 in one half, none are high XG chances yet you have no red cards, no injuries and 5 sub's at your disposal. It's the worst collective abidication of duty I have ever witnessed from Manchester United as a club. Liverpool literally had a very ordinary to poor game yet were able to finish 7 nil up!
I always get killed for this but I genuinely think we were unlucky with a few of the goals in that 7-0. Especially two of the Salah goals. Clearances somehow just ending up at Salahs feet. That OT game they battered us and cut through us.

Djemba-Djemba

Even that game the score line is deceptive. West Ham had enough chances to score.

We have not had a single commanding league performance all season.
Yeah I'd agree with that.

I think the only game all season we've controlled from start to finish was against Palace reserves in the league cup.