Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stevoc

Also what are you expecting here? Are you expecting the medical team to take the press conference and say “yeah we said that”.

Like why can you not just accept his word on this?
Genuinely no idea what you're talking about now mate. Where did I imply he was lying?

:confused:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So you’d rather he ignore medical advice?

Which would you prefer?
It's not an advice. It's an estimation of someone recovery which can easily be altered in the future. I don't know if it's the barrier language and I hope that it is but ETH's statement has always been strange to me because it gives the impression that the concept of relapses doesn't exist.

And to answer your question in principle, you don't consider that someone is fit until they actually are.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Im pretty concerned if Ten Hag doesn’t change his tactics, we might end up with a similar situation if we end up giving him another year.
And? We’re likely to end on far fewer points and GD, and most number of defeats in a PL season. The manager deserves to be sacked without questions just like Mourinho. I’m surprised there’s even a debate. We have evidently reduced the standards we aspire to from managers if we’re willing to tolerate the failures we’ve seen this season.
Perhaps. But I would argue the one area of the pitch where we’ve had some consistency in personnel we’ve seen improvement.

That feels like it’s a positive.

Is it a reduction in standards or a recognition of the wider context that we are from head to toe far from being a sporting giant. Currently we’re just a commercial one in the footballing world now.
What I still find funny is I haven’t spoken to a United fan, face to face, that’s actually desperate for ETH to be let go. Most seem to think another season wouldn’t be the worse given where the club is at. I’m still at that point , wouldn’t complain if he was let go but understand there’s other reasons why we’d keep him.
I do know a fan in real life who is Ten Hag out. He’s 13 and wants us to sign Mbappe in the summer :lol:.

Nephews aside, my friends and few work colleagues who are United fans (and sister/brother in law) are either ambivalent or wanting to give him a bit more time.

Maybe it’s just my bubble but I’m yet to meet someone passionately against him.

I never said that though did I?

He got advised and made a decision based on that. Still his decision though and his responsibility.
Genuinely no idea what you're talking about now mate. Where did I imply he was lying?

:confused:
It’s your tone Steve. If you had said “Thanks for sharing” then it would look like you’re accepting this information.

How you worded it makes it seem like you’re doubting the legitimacy.

Yes still his decision he took the decision he was advised would be best. Good managers delegate that way. Especially if they aren’t trained medical professionals.

didz

It's not an advice. It's an estimation of someone recovery which can easily be altered in the future. I don't know if it's the barrier language and I hope that it is but ETH's statement has always been strange to me because it gives the impression that the concept of relapses doesn't exist.

And to answer your question in principle, you don't consider that someone is fit until they actually are.
The Malacia thing is totally on the medical department not paying close enough attention to players. This article paints a grim picture, and one which seems to be no more than a repetition of past failings. I've already made a long post about this somewhere so I won't bang on about it more, but I think that's clearly not on Ten Hag.

He's always extremely closed on injury issues, rarely giving timeframes, often referring to illness or injury interchangeably, and basically giving as little away as possible on those. If he says he thought he'd have them, he was convinced he would, to my eye anyway.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

I think if we’re using a relapse after being advised of them returning to full fitness as a stick to beat a manager with we may aswell give up our managerial search and instead hire fortune tellers.

It absolutely is advice. He was being advised by his medical teams. What else would we call it?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/advice

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Will be interesting to see if there is any news tomorrow with us being officially out of UCL contention now.

If they were waiting for that then...

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure I entirely agree about SAF being this "once in a lifetime" talent as I think it's more complicated than that.

SAF's first full season with United was 1987/88. We had five full seasons with SAF before we won the title and two of those seasons we finished 11th and 13th.....13th!! Fergie would not have kept his job in today's climate. That season we finished 13th we also ended up with a minus goal difference.

My point is that without backing SAF then we would never have had those glory years that turned into an era. My point does not offer solutions-it only creates more confusion as it might mean we need to find a manager to hang our hat on and stick with him. For the record, I am not sure ETH is that man.
I used to want that. Now I just want us to get in a winner, who manifests tangible results quickly. The window of opportunity had gone and I don't think we'll be seeing anything like that again... Times have changed unfortunately

RedRocket08

You can't argue that players must be held accountable, whilst also arguing a manager should be given half a decade no questions asked, because at that point the manager isn't being held accountable. That would be foolish in an organisation of any size.

The right manager will naturally get 5 years and more because they earn it. No managers since Ferguson have earned it and they have rightly been sacked. Unfortunately the same can't be said about many of our players, who get rewarded regardless of performance. That obviously needs to change, but that doesn't mean we blame everything on the players and ignore poor management.
Why?

After 1-2 seasons you'll know if the guy isn't working out. You can't say we're giving a guy 5 years regardless of results and performance.

What happens if you're hovering above the relegation zone in year 3, after spending £400-500m?
Perhaps what I said didn't bring out the intended meaning: I think, like the current top 3 sides in the PL, it would be beneficial to pick a manager we're confident will give us steady progress and to stick with them for an extended period of 4-5 years. Ferguson himself didn't earn it till about 4-5 years in tbf, perhaps the owners at the time saw a certain level of progress. This doesn't mean giving a free pass to a manager nor sticking with him even if he takes us to a relegation battle, ideally our leadership on the football side should set targets (which change over time based on the state of the squad, and may change even during the season) for our managers to achieve. If they don't achieve those targets we should do a bit of an audit and figure out if they're specific coaching issues the manager can/cannot fix, if they're player centric issues, or if they're other issues (football execs, medical department etc.). If there are coaching issues or man management issues that can be rectified and the current one is not doing it - then we go out and get a new manager. On the spending side as well, that shouldn't be dumped on the manager - A manager should be able to approve a spending decision, but the ultimate decision should sit with a DoF / recruitment team.

Applying this to ETH: The sort of mitigating circumstances he's had to work with are a relatively unbalanced/mediocre/ageing squad when he started, off-field player issues which made it hard to fill certain positions, injuries, and lack of a clear footballing structure which resulted in a scattergun transfer approach (in which the manager had to be more involved in). For me all of these things have contributed to our poor form this season, and Ten Hag himself hasn't been able to rectify how easily oppos we should beat (e.g. bottom 10 in the PL) cut through our team - Ideally, Berrarda, Wilcox, Ashworth etc. should all get together and assess how much Ten Hag has contributed to the problem, and how much those other factors have contributed, and then make the decision as to whether they keep him or not.

I'm not saying all this to make a case for keeping ETH, I do think his tactics have left us open through the centre all season and that needs to change, he's definitely at fault for some things we haven't done right on the pitch - but getting another coach (interim or next season) and putting them through the same process as Ten Hag will lead to that manager's capitulation as well, and we'll just keep coming back to square one here.

didz

You know that because?
I (obviously) don't know it, but I strongly suspect based on what we did in January that were so close the PSR line that we can't afford to sack Ten Hag, even on reduced terms. That's without the cup final he got us in on the horizon.

July 1st though, happy hanging day, I guess.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think if we’re using a relapse after being advised of them returning to full fitness as a stick to beat a manager with we may aswell give up our managerial search and instead hire fortune tellers.

It absolutely is advice. He was being advised by his medical teams. What else would we call it?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/advice
So when ETH tells you that the medical staff initially estimated both should be back in January, you spin it into the medical staff advised to cancel/shorten Regulon's loan?

Am I understanding correctly?

Edit: You can ignore this, we already had that conversation.

Last edited:

always_hoping

Last two seasons has been mirrored with Liverpool.

Last Season

Man United finished 3rd in the Premier League and won the League cup that exceeded expectations for a lot of supporters
Liverpool a real injury hit season didn't reach the Champions league or win a trophy

This Season

Man United a real injury hit season didn't reach the Champions league and probably won't win a trophy with City to play in the FA Cup final
Liverpool will finish 3rd in the Premier League and won the league cup and according to the likes of Jamie Carragher they have "over performed" this season

Roboc7

Not sure I entirely agree about SAF being this "once in a lifetime" talent as I think it's more complicated than that.

SAF's first full season with United was 1987/88. We had five full seasons with SAF before we won the title and two of those seasons we finished 11th and 13th.....13th!! Fergie would not have kept his job in today's climate. That season we finished 13th we also ended up with a minus goal difference.

My point is that without backing SAF then we would never have had those glory years that turned into an era. My point does not offer solutions-it only creates more confusion as it might mean we need to find a manager to hang our hat on and stick with him. For the record, I am not sure ETH is that man.
Ron Atkinson had won two FA Cups, club was finishing in top 4-5 consistently but the club sacked him after a really poor start to the season. If the idea was to back a manager even when things are going badly they would have just stick with him and never even appointed SAF.

Time is not going to help a manager who isn’t good enough, there is nothing to suggest ETH or any of the other successors to SAF deserved any more than they got.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Last two seasons has been mirrored with Liverpool.

Last Season

Man United finished 3rd in the Premier League and won the League cup that exceeded expectations for a lot of supporters
Liverpool a real injury hit season didn't reach the Champions league or win a trophy

This Season

Man United a real injury hit season didn't reach the Champions league and probably won't win a trophy with City to play in the FA Cup final
Liverpool will finish 3rd in the Premier League and won the league cup and according to the likes of Jamie Carragher they have "over performed" this season
Liverpool have had a lot of injuries this year, mate. The difference is they strengthened better than we did.

stevoc

Perhaps. But I would argue the one area of the pitch where we’ve had some consistency in personnel we’ve seen improvement.

Is it a reduction in standards or a recognition of the wider context that we are from head to toe far from being a sporting giant. Currently we’re just a commercial one in the footballing world now.

I do know a fan in real life who is Ten Hag out. He’s 13 and wants us to sign Mbappe in the summer :lol:.

Nephews aside, my friends and few work colleagues who are United fans (and sister/brother in law) are either ambivalent or wanting to give him a bit more time.

Maybe it’s just my bubble but I’m yet to meet someone passionately against him.

It’s your tone Steve. If you had said “Thanks for sharing” then it would look like you’re accepting this information.

How you worded it makes it seem like you’re doubting the legitimacy.

Yes still his decision he took the decision he was advised would be best. Good managers delegate that way. Especially if they aren’t trained medical professionals.
Well if you misinterpreted it fair enough.

I said it makes sense Ten Hag was the one thst made that public. And he's doing it to shift blame from himself.

That post wouldn't really make sense if I was also implying he was lying, which I of course wasn't.

Last edited:

stevoc

Perhaps what I said didn't bring out the intended meaning: I think, like the current top 3 sides in the PL, it would be beneficial to pick a manager we're confident will give us steady progress and to stick with them for an extended period of 4-5 years. Ferguson himself didn't earn it till about 4-5 years in tbf, perhaps the owners at the time saw a certain level of progress. This doesn't mean giving a free pass to a manager nor sticking with him even if he takes us to a relegation battle, ideally our leadership on the football side should set targets (which change over time based on the state of the squad, and may change even during the season) for our managers to achieve. If they don't achieve those targets we should do a bit of an audit and figure out if they're specific coaching issues the manager can/cannot fix, if they're player centric issues, or if they're other issues (football execs, medical department etc.). If there are coaching issues or man management issues that can be rectified and the current one is not doing it - then we go out and get a new manager. On the spending side as well, that shouldn't be dumped on the manager - A manager should be able to approve a spending decision, but the ultimate decision should sit with a DoF / recruitment team.

Applying this to ETH: The sort of mitigating circumstances he's had to work with are a relatively unbalanced/mediocre/ageing squad when he started, off-field player issues which made it hard to fill certain positions, injuries, and lack of a clear footballing structure which resulted in a scattergun transfer approach (in which the manager had to be more involved in). For me all of these things have contributed to our poor form this season, and Ten Hag himself hasn't been able to rectify how easily oppos we should beat (e.g. bottom 10 in the PL) cut through our team - Ideally, Berrarda, Wilcox, Ashworth etc. should all get together and assess how much Ten Hag has contributed to the problem, and how much those other factors have contributed, and then make the decision as to whether they keep him or not.

I'm not saying all this to make a case for keeping ETH, I do think his tactics have left us open through the centre all season and that needs to change, he's definitely at fault for some things we haven't done right on the pitch - but getting another coach (interim or next season) and putting them through the same process as Ten Hag will lead to that manager's capitulation as well, and we'll just keep coming back to square one here.
I appreciate bolded mate. I can see where you're coming from better. And I dont disagree fir the most part. Ultimately Klopp and Pep have been in the same job for 8 years because they've shown constant progress and been successful to varying degrees.

But I'd put good money on either of them probably getting the boot if they'd delivered our current season in their 2nd year before either had won a league or champions league title.

didz

Well if you misinterpreted it fair enough.

I said it makes sense Ten Hag was the one thst made that public. And he's doing it to shift blame from himself.

That post wouldn't reslly make sense if I was also implying he was lying, which I of course wasn't.
Based on the replies you've made to both me and the poster in question, it's quiye difficult to see how you might be arguing in good faith. The content of this post makes that even more slim a possibility.

You argued that he let Reguilon go and been proven wrong, so the goalposts shift. You implied that he shouldn't have listened to what the medical team was saying and backtracked. Now it's that he must take the flak for every failure at the club. It's okay to have that opinion, I suppose, but then again I'm also friends with somebody who thinks that How I met your Mother is a better show than Breaking Bad, so I might be slightly too tolerant a litmus test.

Had he not made that public, you'd blame him. It is public, so you blame him. I'm very glad not to have you as a superior in any capacity. There seems to be no right that can't be turned wrong by your assessment.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Ron Atkinson had won two FA Cups, club was finishing in top 4-5 consistently but the club sacked him after a really poor start to the season. If the idea was to back a manager even when things are going badly they would have just stick with him and never even appointed SAF.

Time is not going to help a manager who isn’t good enough, there is nothing to suggest ETH or any of the other successors to SAF deserved any more than they got.
Agreed. Time is not going to help a bad/wrong manager but how do we decide if they are wrong if we use SAF's early years as a yardstick? I'll repeat it again. We finished 11th and 13th with Fergie in two of those seasons.

Perhaps it is BECAUSE of Fergie that we no longer give managers enough time.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Jumping in today to say again he’s gone.
had it reaffirmed to me tonight.

Again always comes through third hand info but basically decision made , gone.

always_hoping

Liverpool have had a lot of injuries this year, mate. The difference is they strengthened better than we did.
Not at the level or last season for sustained period of time. United injuries so bad that have regularly started matches with patched up defences and any decent set of results more often or not first comes from having a settled back four.

Yakuza_devils

We are mathematically out of Top 4 now and Germany and Italy look like going to get the 5th place team in the CL.

Are we waiting for Top 5 is gone before we make decision?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

We have basically had very few issues with availability of our forwards throughout entire season yet have only started creating any chances in the last few games - and make no mistakes we are still not good enough in that department anyway. You can’t be horrible at something for 3-4 months, then barely acceptable (if even that) for 2 months and preach some big improvement.

RedRocket08

I appreciate bolded mate. I can see where you're coming from better. And I dont disagree fir the most part. Ultimately Klopp and Pep have been in the same job for 8 years because they've shown constant progress and been successful to varying degrees.

But I'd put good money on either of them probably getting the boot if they'd delivered our current season in their 2nd year before either had won a league or champions league title.
No worries! On Pep and Klopp, I don't think we're comparing apples to apples imo - Klopp with a good structure around him (the lack of which is why he rejected us) got 4th, 4th, 2nd in his first 3 full seasons (He'd managed a half season before that too), a champs league runners up medal in his 2nd season and won in his 3rd full season. Pep of course had a superb structure set up for him at City, and they consistently were up there in the PL before he came. I'd say Arsenal probably mimics our situation more, with the sort of players they had / dressing room issues?

Artetta managed 8th, 5th, 2nd in his first 3 full seasons (1 FA cup, early cup exits in the other seasons) for arguably the 3rd biggest club in England, so he's the best case out there for giving a manager (That many considered unproven) a bit of time at a top club. ETH had a horrendous second season where he's made his own mistakes, but given the problems he's dealt with, I am still undecided on what we should do with him - Lots of positives and negatives with him. If the club decide to keep him (Especially given there are just no real good options out there), I hope ETH can work through his shortcomings the way Artetta did, and hope he'll get a fair bit of help from the new football operations hires.

Roboc7

Agreed. Time is not going to help a bad/wrong manager but how do we decide if they are wrong if we use SAF's early years as a yardstick? I'll repeat it again. We finished 11th and 13th with Fergie in two of those seasons.

It’s nearly 4 decades ago now though, a decision in a different time made by different people. I don’t think the patience shown to SAF has any relevance today or should be used as a yardstick.

Hopefully at some point we appoint the right manager and there are people at the club who are qualified to assess they deserve more time or not.There is no right or wrong answer and you could easily give a manager 4-5 years and it not make the slightest bit of difference or make things considerably worse.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

The Ferguson argument is so ridiculous it’s hard to even have a serious conversation about it, as it basically suggest that even someone doing an absolutely horrific job deserves to keep it because if given enough time literally anyone can become great. It not only makes virtually every single person in the world impossible to fire but also undermines the genius of Fergie which was so unique.

Erik ten Hag is not Alex Ferguson, no amount of time will change it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We have basically had very few issues with availability of our forwards throughout entire season yet have only started creating any chances in the last few games - and make no mistakes we are still not good enough in that department anyway. You can’t be horrible at something for 3-4 months, then barely acceptable (if even that) for 2 months and preach some big improvement.
Well we did have issues with Højlund injury at the start, Sancho being Sancho and no back up striker due to Martial being as robust as a breadstick.

But yes we have had access to our 19 year old and 21 year old most of the season. And we’ve seen an improvement in our overall attacking play.

We’ve been creating and scoring more since January. It is a lie to suggest we haven’t.

You don’t think 2.3 goals per game is good enough?