Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 434 58.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VictoriaRed

I turned the game off as soon as he brought on Amrabat. Could we not put in one of the youths? I know he's blooded Mainoo, but who else? Play more of the kids, please.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He isn’t good enough and there are thousands of minutes of proof. Way too open.

Just wanted to write that so when we rightfully complain after a loss, there are no accusations of knee-jerking.

He needs to go.
Except now you would be accused of being miserable for not celebrating a win

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Who refused to replace players that were ill suited to repeated 360 degree footballing change of direction?

Why do you think a mere Burnley when they were certain to part with Dyche and head in the opposite footballing direction to him. Chose to commit fully and not renew a whole host of players and sold a number of others? Was it just for shits and giggles?

What could conceivably make ANY of you think Manchester United should be succesful repeatedly half commiting to differing footballing directions, in terms of player roster, with almost each change of manager in 8 years?
Why do we even have a manager then? If there's absolutely nothing the manager can do due to the state of the club and the squad, why do we pay him millions per year? Why not just play without a manager at that point?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Some posters seem legitimately angry after we win a game.
Can't imagine how pissed you guys will be if we happen to beat Liverpool.

This thread explodes after every game, people are so focused on the manager that we barely discuss anything else match related.

I'd love to see how a team with 2 youngsters, McTominay, Evans and Linde at LB performs for Pep Guardiola. I bet he'll win the trebble with them!

stevoc

I think it's a combination of injures, ill suited personnel even with a fit XI but also some managerial errors.

I think the heaviest weighting is injury though, and sadly the squad players are reverse profiles of the ones they are meant to replace. E.g Lindelof for Licha for example who aren't remotely alike.

However I disagree about defensive structure (if you mean cohesion and organisation). No chance we allow so many shots and still win quite a few games if we weren't defensively resolute. Pointing to isolated numbers generally is no good, I prefer to understand the quality of a lot of chances.

We are defending deeper out of obligation which makes us tricky to unpick but does allow for more pot shots as teams try different ways to score.
Yeah just a few errors.

Defensively resolute? Are we watching the same side?

Last edited:

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Oh noes, whatever shall we do with all those long range shots against us.
It’s just not long range shots though, against Everton today the amount of times they had the ball in our box with space and able to get a shot off was ridiculous. Been the same in most games this season, we consistently leak chances and we were lucky today to get a clean sheet.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Why do we even have a manager then? If there's absolutely nothing the manager can do due to the state of the club and the squad, why do we pay him millions per year? Why not just play without a manager at that point?
To save face. So that a number of fans will fall for the hope of every purposeful engineered false dawn and go for the manager after EVERY boom and burst cycle rather than after who is to really blame. It's a strategy that has worked to perfection 8 years running.

stevoc

This team that hasn’t performed for years should be playing much better football even though they’ve never really looked capable of it before.
So you are saying Erik Ten Hag hasn't been able to positively affect probably the main problem he was hired to address in the first place?

AndySmith1990

To save face. So that a number of fans will fall for the hope of every purposeful engineered false dawn and go for the manager after EVERY boom and burst cycle rather than after who is to really blame. It's a strategy that has worked to perfection 8 years running.
That's some conspiracy.

The fact is the manager has full control over the entire first team. Not only that, Ten Hag has a big say in recruitment as requested by himself. The narrative that he is powerless to do anything to get a team playing well is a baffling one to understand. He has more control and backing to shape his team into exactly what he wants than most managers in football

Von Mistelroum

The football under Ten Hag is really bad, probably the worst I've seen under any manager in my lifetime, including before SAF came along.

There doesn't seem to be any real feeling to any of it. Like so many of the players just seem to be trying to get the game over so they can get on with their lives or what have you. Contrast that with the way Klopp and Pep have their teams looking. Not just organised and winning, but hungry and at the very least, bothered.

The only person who looked less arsed out there today than our lads, was Pickford. We should get him in, try to complete the set. Laughing and joking as they lost I reckon he'd fit right in.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That's some conspiracy.
The same cycle has repeated itself since Moyes was sacked. All your posts in this thread are the literal embodiment of the final phase of the cycle. No wonder you think it consiracy :lol: :lol:

The fact is the manager has full control over the entire first team.......
The fact is no manager after SAF EVER has. The fact 8 years running you are STILL blind to that reality says it all really.

The Glazers got you good! Hook line and sinker...:lol::lol::lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you are saying Erik Ten Hag hasn't been able to positively affect probably the main problem he was hired to address in the first place?
Not that it was directed to me, but I think it shows that more has to change than just the manager if we are to actually transcend our footballing philosophy.

Malone_Post

The reality is that we’ve conceded the second most shots in the league all season. And that reflects what we’ve seen with our own eyes.Teams regularly run through us at will every single game. They’re constantly in behind our midfield and on top of our defence.

That has nothing to do with injuries it’s just piss poor tactics.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Teams regularly run through us at will every single game. They’re constantly in behind our midfield and on top of our defence.

That has nothing to do with injuries it’s just piss poor tactics.
Thats actually bollocks. With a 38 year old at Cb and slow CB at left back, it means our defence is a lot deeper and not as progressive building out. Our DM has also proven to be very erratic and ill suited to the direct style from the back.

Thats personnel not suited for the tactics. Not the tactics necessarily being poor.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Looking at the squad available to him, was wondering how many times did he have first choice 11 available to him this season?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looking at the squad available to him, was wondering how many times did he have first choice 11 available to him this season?
I think he's only been able to field his first choice defense alone less than 6 times this season, or something like that. That's before we consider other areas of the pitch with injury.

AaronRedDevil

We shouldn't sack him without a proper good manager is available. We miss out on one every single time after we hire a new manager thats no where near good. Otherwise we WILL be back to square one and it’ll be the same as always.

stevoc

Not that it was directed to me, but I think it shows that more has to change than just the manager if we are to actually transcend our footballing philosophy.
I don't necessarily disagree but after 2 years and around £500m spent on players, most of them hand picks by Ten Hag to suit his style. The fact that we are now worse in terms of results and football played than we were before ETH arrived. Would point to the conclusion that Erik certainly isn't helping matters and probably isn't the man to take United to the next level.

Superden

Thats actually bollocks. With a 38 year old at Cb and slow CB at left back, it means our defence is a lot deeper and not as progressive building out. Our DM has also proven to be very erratic and ill suited to the direct style from the back.

Thats personnel not suited for the tactics. Not the tactics necessarily being poor.
Then do what any elite manager would do and change the effin tactics...the fact that he can't/ is unwilling is why he should go.

Reactions: Fortitude

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't necessarily disagree but after 2 years and around £500m spent on players, most of them hand picks by Ten Hag to suit his style. The fact that we are now worse in terms of results and football played than we were before ETH arrived. Would point to the conclusion that Erik certainly isn't helping matters and probably isn't the man to take United to the next level.
The money is immaterial - if Murtough can't negotiate well it shouldn't be a slight on Ten Hag. We have wasted money under Ten Hag as manager and for a decade before him, so I Think the question is "why is £500m spent actually looking like £100m spent" more than anything else.

Also on the "our football is worse" point - again, I genuinely dont' think there is a manager out there who gets us playing sexy football with these available players. At best you'll get a new manager bounce but not much more than that.
Then do what any elite manager would do and change the effin tactics...the fact that he can't/ is unwilling is why he should go.
There are very limited workable options with the available players at his disposal. He has had extended periods with no striker or no proper defence and in overlapping scenarios both.

Counter doesn't really work because his forward line isn't ruthless enough. Building up from the back obviously isn't helping us dominate games because the squad players cant play keep ball very well. However this year, the approach he has used still churns out results, so there is an argument that there's no need to tweak anything yet.

Malone_Post

It’s not bollocks though it’s just shite tactics. Because it’s been happening all season, ever since pre-season (when plenty pointed out it was suicidal tactics that would never work) and has happened with every single combination of defenders & midfielders all season long. Not just a ‘38 year old centre back (he’s actually 36) & a slow CB at left back’

And even if it was just a case of the ‘personnel not suited for the tactics. Not the tactics necessarily being poor’ why the feck continue with them all season long when everyone can see they don’t work? How is that a sign of a good manager? :lol:

When Jamie Carragher can rip apart your whole tactical plan live on MNF you know you’re in trouble.

Reactions: Fortitude

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We are. Watch our games. Today for example, atrocious stuff.
I've seen our games. We weren't atrocious today - that's exaggeration. We didnt dominate but we created enough, we were organized enough and we were professional enough to churn out a clean sheet. Which is about what I'd expect for now given the circumstances.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not bollocks though it’s just shite tactics. Because it’s been happening all season, ever since pre-season (when plenty pointed out it was suicidal tactics that would never work) and has happened with every single combination of defenders & midfielders all season long. Not just a ‘38 year old centre back (he’s actually 36) & a slow CB at left back’

And even if it was just a case of the ‘personnel not suited for the tactics. Not the tactics necessarily being poor’ why the feck continue with them all season long when everyone can see they don’t work? How is that a sign of a good manager? :lol:

When Jamie Carragher can rip apart your whole tactical plan live on MNF you know you’re in trouble.
Jamie Charrager ripped nothing - he just pointed out there is a big gap between defence and midfield, which we all know. What he did not focus enough time on is the "why". That is lazy punditry, its easy to point at gaps but you need to ask why that's happening.

The pre-season game plan (and start of season) was clearly playing two 8.5s with Mount and Bruno. That wasn't working, I agree, in much the same way as how Arteta's Havertz experiment wasn't working.. until it eventually DID click. Now whether we would have clicked into gear had our players been fit, I don't know. But I do know that we would be far less open if we had a fitter defence. We weren't this open last season and Ten Hag is generally not this open in his managerial career, so you can apply some common sense into it and take circumstance into consideration.

Malone_Post

We've won 8 and drawn 1 out of our 11 games of 2024. I really don't think we are as shite as you say we are.
Ah yes those glorious wins against League 2 Newport Country, League 1 Wigan, 18th placed Luton, 17th placed Forrest & 16th placed Everton. A run of form that will go down in the ages.

Malone_Post

Jamie Charrager ripped nothing - he just pointed out there is a big gap between defence and midfield, which we all know. .
Thank you for finally admitting the tactics and set up are shite. Took you long enough but we got there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah yes those glorious wins against League 2 Newport Country, League 1 Wigan, 18th placed Luton, 17th placed Forrest & 16th placed Everton. A run of form that will go down in the ages.
And wins against Villa, Wolves, West Ham and a draw to Spurs.

You can whinge and moan about us winning against semi difficult or beatable teams - but you cant argue against the consistency of said results.

Remember the geese

I've seen our games. We weren't atrocious today - that's exaggeration. We didnt dominate but we created enough, we were organized enough and we were professional enough to churn out a clean sheet. Which is about what I'd expect for now given the circumstances.
It was awful. Zero control of the game whatsoever. 2-0 was incredibly flattering, particularly in the first half. Everton continued to probe in the second half, but with less and less belief. It was embarrassing how poor we were in possession. Sloppy would have been an improvement. Also, as usual, plenty of gaps and space for Everton to play through us with ease. We won't get anywhere with such a lack of appreciation for possession and control.