Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 513 52.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 47.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

foolsgold

Thought he got it bang on today and we should have won by more.
Agreed, but in the context that it was a very poor Everton team that hasn't won in 11 league matches. We absolutely should be comfortably beating teams like this at home as the minimum acceptable standard.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's deficiency isnt transfer. His deficiency is his inability to correctly asses the player on his disposal.

How on earth does he sanction 80m for a player he coached before. Those price are reserved for 90% success rate players you bring to play in their favourite spot and fully analysing his strenght and weakness.

2 years onward ETH dont even know what to do with Antony.

Manager should decide if 80M or whatever the price reflects the player they targeted, even if it's not their money. It's in their job description to estimate a player's worth. There's a different between overpaying due to circumstances and fully gotten it wrong.

As much as our transfer isnt decided by a manager alone, he should be having a big say in it. Saying he has no control over price is a cop out. Manager would be given budget and should analyse how to best utilise the budget. You just dont become a manager and turn a blind eye on the most important aspect

tjb

That “mutual agreement to part ways” announcement is going to hit like crack.

Hopefully we don’t pay him anything, and he gets to save some face.
That's where this looks like going. He smells the coffee and wants to walk away looking less bad. He can always go back and dominate at Ajax

git_united

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that they are as vulnerable as us considering the bits in bold? And things like pressing are useless if not done well and actually cause more harm.

Also, they are more compact, there is less space between players. Teams do not have the space to play as they do when they play us.
That’s why I said structurally .. as in, a bad bounce here or there and they can be cut through easily. If you think they’re more compact then fair enough that could be a big difference in instruction. But the fact that they do it better than us is not necessarily about coaching.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Yeah walk away please. Anyway so many top clubs will be falling over each other to appoint him. I hope he takes some of his insufferable cultists with him when he leaves. But yeah I will settle for him taking his looney-bin signings with him.

croadyman

The mere fact that people will defend this kind of abomination shows how far standards have fallen here.

I truly hope INEOS completely change the mindset going forward.

The fanbase has immensely high standards for the players, but not for the managers post-SAF.
Yeah our standards have been in the bin for the last decade. Like you say hopefully INEOS can raise them because mediocrity is becoming accepted. @Matt851 absolutely spot on when saying Mount money should have gone on a backup CB/LB & ST.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeah walk away please. Anyway so many top clubs will be falling over each other to appoint him. I hope he takes some of his insufferable cultists with him when he leaves. But yeah I will settle for him taking his looney-bin signings with him.
Surely there can't be more than a handful of ETH believers left? He has been afforded a much longer rope only due to circumstances ie we partial owner.

sillwuka

It's not just about getting results.
We won 2-0 somehow yesterday but everyone I've spoke to is still fed up of our lack of control and style of play, it's boring football.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Surely there can't be more than a handful of ETH believers left? He has been afforded a much longer rope only due to circumstances ie we partial owner.
Browse this thread a few pages to see how many are still blindly fellating this conman. The state and standards of our fanbase is really abhorrent.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

please go
I can image ETH crew trying to spin this in a way he didn't want to continue if he doesn't get full power.

Truth is, he's a dead man walking and everybody knows it. The owners, the manager, the players.

Edit: also this
Maybe early briefings to make it seem like an amicable departure over differences of opinions rather than just being sacked.
I am 100% convinced he won't be our manager next season seeing those "ambiguous" tweets.

ManRed

I can image ETH crew trying to spin this in a way he didn't want to continue if he doesn't get full power.

Truth is, he's a dead man walking and everybody knows it. The owners, the manager, the players.

Edit: also this

I am 100% convinced he won't be our manager next season seeing those "ambiguous" tweets.
Agreed, INEOS and the new structure will want their man in. Wont be surprised to see someone they have worked with in the past. We need some stability through the club to rebuild this squad.

tomaldinho1

I think of you changed the poll to ask will ETH be our manager next season yes or no, I’d be almost unanimously ‘no’ right now. The question seems to be more about sacking him now versus then.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We had an even lower open play XG of 1 yet here you are below…

…claiming we easily could have won 5 or 6 nil.

So on the one hand your arguing that Everton scoring 3 or 4 with an open play XG of 1.5 is ‘absolute beans’ but on the other arguing that United ‘should easily have won 5-6 nil’ with an open play XG of 1.
It's not hard to understand if you weren't hell bent on attacking a straw man. My assessment of the match from.when I first mentioned it was NEVER based on XG alone. I also watched the actual match in which Garnacho botched 3 opportunities to set up tap ins and Bruno too missed a certain goal. Everton did NOT produce 2-3 situations equivalent to ANY of those outside what showed up on their XG. A look at the gane highlights easily proves thart. The vast majority of Everton chances were overwhelmingly low quality. I honestly do not understand this desperate need to paint Everton as more dangerous and in control of the game than they ever were. Frankly they were the worst visitors we have had all season in the league. Gifted loads of the ball in good situations and doing next to nothing with it.

Honestly you ETH fans really do love to tie yourself in knots defending such abject mediocrity.
Rather ETH detractors have to constanly tie themselves in knots attacking straw men. All in a bid to convince themselves anyone who doesn't join in with their incessant disdain for ETH "must be his supporter."

clarkydaz

This makes it easier to get rid of him. If he was all onboard with everything they do, it would be harsher to sack him. Feels like he knows his time is up

frostbite

This makes it easier to get rid of him. If he was all onboard with everything they do, it would be harsher to sack him. Feels like he knows his time is up
It is never "harsh" to sack a football manager. They get all the money in their contract, without having to work. And we are talking about millions.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Browse this thread a few pages to see how many are still blindly fellating this conman. The state and standards of our fanbase is really abhorrent.
supporting a manager is never abhorrent. What a weird statement.
If you want abhorrent posters - look in the Greenwood thread or the ones who were desperate for literally evil owners to take us over.

ETH seems like a good man.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Wouldn’t read to much into the rumours about him walking away. He’s a smart man… what manager in the world would walk away from millions, which is what he’d get if he’s sacked.

brontelicious

Considering you compare any nuanced approach of 'give him a chance' to performing an involuntary sexual act, you may indeed be right about such standards.

Reckon we should give him a chance under the new Ineos tenure, rather than boot him out impatiently and replace him with a mediocrity. Wasting precious years in the process.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Could take that power as he still wants transfer control, yet the many excuses people come up for for him is that he shouldn’t have to deal with transfers. Quite the conundrum
He never had "transfer control" like you put it. He's not Darth Vadar telling people what to do on the death star. He just wanted a veto on transfers, as the Director of Football does.

I wonder how the new structure would be, he may trust them more they may trust him less or vice versa. But he doesn't have sole control over anything and never asked for it.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Considering you compare any nuanced approach of 'give him a chance' to performing an involuntary sexual act, you may indeed be right about such standards.

Reckon we should give him a chance under the new Ineos tenure, rather than boot him out impatiently and replace him with a mediocrity. Wasting precious years in the process.
Well enjoy your, you know whatever that act it is. And we don't need the ilk of blind mice in our fanbase who prostrate themselves for individuals over the club. Nuanced approach my arse. The guy you so preciously protect is actually mediocrity personified but it's too much of common sense to see that

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
supporting a manager is never abhorrent. What a weird statement.
If you want abhorrent posters - look in the Greenwood thread or the ones who were desperate for literally evil owners to take us over.

ETH seems like a good man.
Didn't he want Greenwood back in the team?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Credit to https://www.reddit.com/u/OPchainsaw/s/p50s5qCUV5

But just look at the lack of consistency in the back line. Injuries have ruined our build up ability, which in turn ruins our midfield, which in turn blunts the attack. It’s not a surprise to me that Højlund’s goalscoring form picked up as our players came back fit (albeit briefly).

We’ve been able to play our best back line Dalot, Varane, Martinez and Shaw twice all season.

Chumpsbechumps

Didn't he want Greenwood back in the team?
The club wanted Greenwood back in the team. It’s the clubs responsibility to decide the Greenwood status. Just like SJR has confirmed himself, the next manager (or ETH) will not have to pretend to be deciding the Greenwood situation, as it should be.

You can argue the moral position of ETH if he agreed to it, but in terms of ETH managing United , Greenwood was the strongest option he would of had , the club supplying him with Weghorst level alternatives. ETH was gonna lose on the Greenwood thing no matter what happened. He keeps him and people give him flack for that. He doesn’t keep him and the club do what they did which was leave him strikerless and with no alternative to an injured nee striker.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Again the mindless "his bad signings" posts.

Literally his only bad signing is Antony. And certainly in the first months it didn't look like he is bad.

NoPace

Reports coming out tonight that he could walk away in the summer if he doesn’t get control of certain aspects of the club. Can see a big managerial merry go round in the summer. Ajax would take ETH back and Dortmund may be interested… he’ll get another decent job whether he’s sacked or walks away.
Makes sense if you're his agent and the club has said they aren't renewing his contract this summer so he'd be in his final year of his deal here, for everyone to agree to call it a day this summer. He gets to not be fired, the club can move on and he can look for a job this summer. There will be teams that look at what a mess we've been and think he'd be better for them, though I'm not sure how he'll explain the massive gaps in our lines as a coaching thing, or some of his transfer choices if he's looking to be in charge of those. He also shouldn't do the latter. Accept that the market isn't his strength and find a well run team that can go find players who fit what he wants tactically.