Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 385 45.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
How much of this perception is based on each respective squad's performances under the manager this season though?

And if you truly believe Villa have a squad in similar quality, how much of that blame goes to Ten Hag paying huge sums for players like Antony and Mount?
Literally none.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He said “our style of play is very clear and obvious”. How are you interpreting that?
It is clear and obvious because he's explained it 100 times. I'm not denying we arent SEEING it. But that's not what is being discussed right now.

Blood Mage

Infuriating to think he'll still merrily stroll into Carrington tomorrow morning even if we get destroyed today. I can only hope when Berrada and co finally get to work we'll start making some common sense football decisions again starting with sacking this guy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe he means we want to be dominated, in and out of possession, I mean his English isn't that good, so.
He said that it was very clear and obvious, then added that he doesn't know nor care about why people are confused.

It's very difficult to give him the benefit of doubt or suggest that the language barrier is at fault.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah all our managerial appointments have been disastrous but that’s because we chose the wrong candidates. Moyes, LVG, Mou, Ole sacking all of them was the right call.

When your relationship isn’t working you break it off and move on to the next one if it doesn’t work out again that doesn’t mean you should have stuck with the first.
I never said we should have stuck with any of them, more that we did just have a tendency to take whatever was there, and didn't seemingly think things through.

I'm all for change if it's needed, but I'd rather let the Ineos guys do a bit of proper due diligence on who comes in next, and if needs be wait for someone to become available, which might mean Ten Hag having another season, and so another chance to get things right.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Do we really want to be in the manager market in a summer where Liverpool, Barcelona and bayern Munich are all looking for one?

Max_United

No not really, they just have some pretty good players. Diaby, Luiz, Watkins, Konsa, Torres, McGinn, Bailey, Ramsey you could make strong arguments for. They've built a really nice team with the Grealish cash.
6 out of 8 players you named were already there in Gerrard's side battling relegation though

OverratedOpinion

Do we really want to be in the manager market in a summer where Liverpool, Barcelona and bayern Munich are all looking for one?
What difference does that make? Assuming we are fourth choice on that list then the three top options will all be taken regardless if we wait a year or move this summer.

What if we wait and are terrible then Pep leaves city next summer, then the top 4 options might all be gone. Then what if Ancelotti moves on.

There will always be competition.

Chairman Steve

You could argue circumstances have changed. We have new operators/owners now and they are football-orientated as opposed to money-orientated.

Liverpools somewhat a tricky proposition, to follow a great manager and inherit players who may mentally check out similar to United in 2013.

Barcelona has been rife with internal politics over the years, when guys who spent their entire lives there like Guardiola and Xavi up and leave. They’re also in financial trouble and I recall them having their salary cap reduced recently.

Bayern Munich don‘t seem to be the slick operators they once were, and this season they’re getting a humbling domestically.

I think we’ve got a chance to be just as appealing as those three clubs. Managers will be interested in how our new ownership hierarchy works, no-one knows how they work and if a convincing pitch is put forward then they’ll be keen. It’s a possible benefit of being the new operators on the block so to speak.

GaryLifo

What difference does that make? Assuming we are fourth choice on that list then the three top options will all be taken regardless if we wait a year or move this summer.

What if we wait and are terrible then Pep leaves city next summer, then the top 4 options might all be gone. Then what if Ancelotti moves on.

There will always be competition.
So which 4th choice manager will come in and make the difference then? I'm at the stage where I don't really care if ten Hag is sacked and can understand why he would be. I'm just not sure there is anyone out there we can get this summer who is going to be a major upgrade.

GaryLifo

You could argue circumstances have changed. We have new operators/owners now and they are football-orientated as opposed to money-orientated.

Liverpools somewhat a tricky proposition, to follow a great manager and inherit players who may mentally check out similar to United in 2013.

Barcelona has been rife with internal politics over the years, when guys who spent their entire lives there like Guardiola and Xavi up and leave. They’re also in financial trouble and I recall them having their salary cap reduced recently.

Bayern Munich don‘t seem to be the slick operators they once were, and this season they’re getting a humbling domestically.

I think we’ve got a chance to be just as appealing as those three clubs. Managers will be interested in how our new ownership hierarchy works, no-one knows how they work and if a convincing pitch is put forward then they’ll be keen. It’s a possible benefit of being the new operators on the block so to speak.
This is fair enough. United is still a big draw, but I just think we are not going to be ahead of Barcelona or bayern if we want the same man as they want

JPRouve

Scout
This is fair enough. United is still a big draw, but I just think we are not going to be ahead of Barcelona or bayern if we want the same man as they want
Which is a plus since neither clubs are known for picking the correct managers. Whoever they don't choose is as likely to be good than the one they choose and will sack within 24 months.

croadyman

This is what I'm thinking. Even if Ineos are stupid/lazy/poor enough to try to keep him next season, the terms that Berrada and co will want to impose will end up with him rejecting any new offer.

I dont think he's the sort of guy to accept a new contract where his influence is lessened and there's a clause to reduce his compensation if he misses top four again. Because he knows he will miss top four again.
I would have agreed with you IF he hadn't worked under a structure at Ajax where influence was lessened,having said that he might not be willing to relinquish so INEOS would have a decision to make

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The Caf is the only place where I have ever heard football fans make the argument "we shouldn't sack the manager, there's nobody good available" or "we shouldn't sack the manager, our peer clubs are also looking for new managers".

Stadjer

So which 4th choice manager will come in and make the difference then? I'm at the stage where I don't really care if ten Hag is sacked and can understand why he would be. I'm just not sure there is anyone out there we can get this summer who is going to be a major upgrade.
How i feel about it too right now. I wouldnt mind Nagelsman or De Zerbi though. That could be exciting fun football. However those arent joining now so i dont really see the point in sacking ETH right now.

croadyman

Well obviously yes but I’m somewhat more neutral in this debate than most at the moment.

I will go along with what INEOS decides as they are better placed to judge than any of us.

I think there are mitigating factors for the performances. Both injuries and the rotten culture at the club that accepts mediocrity that is way above the manager.
That chaotic style of games probably isn't helping with injuries. They are doing too much defending and it's causing these muscle issues. Having said that there is also clearly an issue with the medical staff that needs investigating

Stadjer

It's pretty clear that's what he wants to do. In the same way I want to sleep with Dua Lipa. The confusion arises from the lack of concrete progress.
Lets be honest though, he has been closer to playing dominate football (he did atleast some games) than you are at sleeping with Dua Lipa. I fully hope both things will become reality. You sleep with Dua Lipa and ETH playing dominate football with Manchester United!

OverratedOpinion

4th rate is harsh, there are a lot of very good managers who won't be first on Bayern's list for example.

I'd take someone who I think could get us playing some decent stuff, not looking like the second best side against nearly everyone we play and being the most open side in the league.

I am in the same boat that after a decade and loads of different types of coaches I don't think a manager is going to come in and get us top of the league. I think that will come down to a lot of the work in the background that is taking place in improving our structure as a club. That will take time but there are a good few managers I now think are a safer pair of hands to get us playing like some sort of actual football team in the meantime.

Mancini would probably be my first choice, I think he's a shrewd guy and very underrated and could be gotten. But there are a few, Emery, Tuchel or Enrique potentially.

croadyman

Yes I do if it meant we could get Nagelsmann for after Euros or Amorim from under the scousers noses. On the other hand if that's not possible then maybe I am prepared to wait,however remaining on the out train.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No not really, they just have some pretty good players. Diaby, Luiz, Watkins, Konsa, Torres, McGinn, Bailey, Ramsey you could make strong arguments for. They've built a really nice team with the Grealish cash.
Yeah but we think that because of how well they've performed under Emery this season and last year. Diaby and Torres are the only new acquisitions there, the others were there when Villa were a mid-table side or flirting with relegation.

Said it in the other thread, our perception of quality of our players is heavily impacted by how poorly they perform for us. People pointing out how great Liverpool and Arsenal backup options are, I am sure if Tsimikas or Kiwior were playing for us we would be considering them along the same lines of Lindelof, Maguire. It isn't even limited to this season, it's been happening for years, there are so many players we've let go over the years assuming they are very bad who went on to actually have good / great careers elsewhere. We are just truly poor at getting the best out of players so we think they are all horrible. We have signed almost zero players in the last decade whose reputation would actually grow here rather than get tarnished within a couple of years from joining. We are a graveyard for talent, if things don't improve in a couple of years people will easily be belittling Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund talking about them as 'these fecking pathetic players'. There's not a single player in the last several years this hasn't happened to, not even one.

JPRouve

Scout
That chaotic style of games probably isn't helping with injuries. They are doing too much defending and it's causing these muscle issues. Having said that there is also clearly an issue with the medical staff that needs investigating
Conditioning and injury prevention isn't really about the medical staff, it's the job of the coaching staff. The medical staff could be an issue for reasons that aren't really obvious to outsiders but muscle injuries are generally down to poor conditioning, bad training methods, fatigue, bad luck or more likely a combination of all.

Suv666

I'm all for change if it's needed, but I'd rather let the Ineos guys do a bit of proper due diligence on who comes in next, and if needs be wait for someone to become available, which might mean Ten Hag having another season, and so another chance to get things right.
I don’t know what situation people on here are waiting for. There isn’t ever going to be this perfect future where suddenly it’ll start raining class managers.

Who are these managers we should wait for?

So we waste a season and chunk of money to try to implement his system which we already know is crap and naive, because the ideal candidate hasn’t emerged yet?

I’d rather we hire an interim manager
I see no point in sticking with something that we already know doesn’t work, I would prefer to gamble on an unknown where there is at least some chance of success than a known flop.

Blood Mage

There's about 20 managers who'd be doing a better job than Ten Hag is currently doing. I like the fantasy that we can afford to wait for the right one while ETH drags us further down the table and makes our already difficult financial situation worse. I'd happily take that bloke at Bournemouth over what we have right now.

DWelbz19

Says it all when that’s basically the only reason half of the fans would still retain him. Crazy how it’s ended.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Lets be honest though, he has been closer to playing dominate football (he did atleast some games) than you are at sleeping with Dua Lipa. I fully hope both things will become reality. You sleep with Dua Lipa and ETH playing dominate football with Manchester United!
Both remain aspirations for now though.

DWelbz19

Both remain aspirations for now though.
Debatable to say he’s any further than you, anyway. You DMing her on Instagram is about the same level as what ten Hag will most likely serve up this afternoon

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Debatable to say he’s any further than you, anyway. You DMing her on Instagram is about the same level as what ten Hag will most likely serve up this afternoon
:lol: :lol:
I'll give it a go

parmenio

Antony has probably his best ever game for us and is dropped Rashford has done nothing all season and this is a backs against the wall game so why the heck bring him in for this. The manager is a buffoon.
Watch Rashford score a hat trick and make me look a right Wally. (Well I hope he does.)