Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 396 46.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Irwin99

The vast majority of our squad came here under Ole or Ten Hag. Who beyond Rashford and Shaw are these players who have survived so far past their welcome?
Ole began 5 seasons ago now, and that's a fair old time to assess if a player is good enough for a club like United. The majority of our defeats this season have involved 5 or more players that have been here since then or before. I'm not saying they're toxic and i'm certainly not 'EtH in' but i've seen this cycle happen again and again where players who aren't good enough seem to survive with new managers. I do think if we get someone like Potter or Southgate there is a fear that certain players will get another go of it- Maguire, Lindelof, AwB, Rashford, Bruno (great today but can he be part of a title winning team?) McTominay, Shaw ( first choice left back-never fit). Even Dalot who has shown a lot of progress these past two years is part of that group.

Of the players listed, so many of them aren't the right quality for team that can realistically challenge for the league.

At least Martial- our only squad striker- is leaving at the end of the season.

croadyman

Yeah but he started to leave before it was even asked, and continued to do so during it. All the headlines that came out made it sound like he’d lost the plot and stormed out.
Drinkwater's tweet is clearly because wants to keep in with the club as works for BBC Manchester. I don't see it as presser has ended or guy wouldn't be still asking the question,think about it

stevoc

Yeah and due to injuries they all play most of the time!

We’ve been using Ole’s back 4 of Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Dalot/Shaw, plus Scott, Rashford and Bruno. The spine is essentially the same spine that Ole/Ragnick had.
Some of those players like McTominay (who he prefers to his own signings most of the time), Dalot and Maguire (who he preferred over Varane for months) this season are Ten Hag favourites, he made Bruno captain, he won't drop Rashford (who he prefers to Antony). Nobody is forcing him to play these players. And those players aren't entirely the reason we are so shit this season.

Shaw's barely played this season.

stevoc

Even as a fan of ETH, it looks like the end of the road. The performance today was the clearest evidence yet that he has lost the dressing room.
But we've regularly been putting in performances like this for months?

:confused:

croadyman

Even as a fan of ETH, it looks like the end of the road. The performance today was the clearest evidence yet that he has lost the dressing room.
Need to get Nagelsmann deal agreed to take over after Euros,however there has to be a culling before he walks through the doors.

Bestie07

We don't have players who can take care of the ball when in possession to play the system ten Hag wants to play. We keep turning the ball over with our players up the field and concede a lot of shots as a a result. We noticably reduced the number of shots we conceded when Garnacho was replaced by Amad.

In Rainbows

We don't have players who can take care of the ball when in possession to play the system ten Hag wants to play. We keep turning the ball over with our players up the field and concede a lot of shots as a a result. We noticably reduced the number of shots we conceded when Garnacho was replaced by Amad.
The thing is, I don't have sympathy for someone about player profile when he doesn't even play those player profiles that he has at his disposal. Either he doesn't know how to recognize the right profiles (not in transfers, but in team selection) or he purposely ignores them. Either way, it makes him out to be incompetent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The catalyst for this disaster is him not continuing what he started and instead trying to turn us into the best transition team in the world or something like that.

Look at his first season... he signed Casemiro and Eriksen. A very solid base for midfield, just an aging one and have to be replaced soon. Then he went to sign Sabitzer on loan, Mount and Amrabat. Its a night and day. Its like he didnt know. No control in midfield and no player that can control the tempo + pass from the deep = headless chicken team and will quickly have the fans turn against it.

Somehow he managed to turn what he did really well into an absolute shit show while he looks at the other direction to fix it. You see when he landed Eriksen on free transfer I thought "this is it, this guy knows what hes going when it comes into building a solid midfield". Guess I was wrong.

As long as he refuses to let go of this silly and unecessary philosophy (or whatever you want to call it), the club wont do well. Im pretty sure of that. Sometimes you dont need to overthink stuffs and just fix the holes in the team as you see them. And right now we are back to square 1 where we need proper midfielders. Mount and Amrabat are not and will never be Eriksen and Casemiro.

Last edited:

croadyman

We've been poor for ages, but I still felt the players were fighting for him. I didn't see that today.
Yeah could have been another Watford away under Ole when he knew the game was up. Fortunately for us they put it past the post a few times

croadyman

The catalyst for this disaster is him not continuing what he started and instead trying to turn us into the best transition team in the world or something like that.

Look at his first season... he signed Casemiro and Eriksen. A very solid base for midfield, just an aging one and have to be replaced soon. Then he went to sign Sabitzer on loan, Mount and Amrabat. Its a night and day. Its like he didnt know. No control in midfield and no player that can control the tempo + pass from the deep = headless chicken team and will quickly have the fans turn against it.

Somehow he managed to turn what he did really well into an absolute shit show while he looks at the other direction to fix it. You see when he landed Eriksen on free transfer I thought "this is it, this guy knows what hes going when it comes into building a solid midfield". Guess I was wrong.
Yeah that Wolves home game should have set alarm bells ringing about midfield,unfortunately due to the money he wasted on players not needed we couldn't buy anyone like we saw with Brentford last season

hobbers

I'm not sure that would help. Hasn't done much for Bayern and Tuchel.
Not like we've anything to lose though

If we're in an FA cup final vs City Ten Hag being there or not there or it being known to be his last game will make absolutely no difference. We're only winning via some act of god.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Not like we've anything to lose though

If we're in an FA cup final vs City Ten Hag being there or not there or it being known to be his last game will make absolutely no difference. We're only winning via some act of god.
We definitely do have something to lose. We should still have enough to get Europa, but if we implode then no european footy would be a disaster.

croadyman

I'm not sure that would help. Hasn't done much for Bayern and Tuchel.
Needs something to give club a boost,much as I am firmly on Erik out train I don’t want the ones who don't care given another chance under new manager

E-mal

I really want most of these players out, they are taking us for fools.

stevoc

We've been poor for ages, but I still felt the players were fighting for him. I didn't see that today.
It was as lacklustre and flat as many perfromances this season. I don't see players fighting or not fighting for the manager. I just see the same rudderless team with little or no game plan going out every week and going through the motions hoping for a break or a moment of brilliance to score. While generally getting dominated and outplayed regrardless of the opposition.

Blood Mage

Ten Hag has to go but it's infuriating to see yet more proof of the toxic blame-shifting culture at this club. The younger players are now being tainted by it.

Removing players like Rashford, Maguire and Martial would be a good first step in weeding out this culture.

Nicoseth

It was as lacklustre and flat as many perfromances this season. I don't see players fighting or not fighting for the manager. I just see the same rudderless team with little or no game plan going out every week and going through the motions hoping for a break or a moment of brilliance to score. While generally getting dominated and outplayed regrardless of the opposition.
I think they showed plenty of fight for the manager this season. Both liverpool games at OT, Villa at home, other games too when we have been poor but still tried. But today we didn't fight our way into the game, we were lucky to get anything from it and players who usually do show fight - the likes of Dalot, looked uninterested.

E-mal

Ten Hag has to go but it's infuriating to see yet more proof of the toxic blame-shifting culture at this club. The younger players are now being tainted by it.

Removing players like Rashford, Maguire and Martial would be a good first step in weeding out this culture.
What has he done? He is not great but hardly complains about the manager

r0663664

Worships Man City
I have never seen a manager like Erik, his team is always 2nd best in most of the game (80%) yet he can say things like we didn't control the team. His suicidal tactics is why we are always overrun in midfield. I think he has decided to press with the front 4 regardless what will happen in midfield. The only reason we haven't lose more is poor finishing from teams. Bournemouth and Liverpool could be 4 or 5 up by half time. He knows he is going after this season so he really doesn't care about the results. He wants to the fans to see his philosophy while sacrificing results. I would sack him and hire Jose to steady the ship. Jose loved the club, he will definitely shore up defence and will help us with a couple of boring draw and few 1-0 victory. Jose and Ineos could have a chat to extend his stint.

Josep Dowling

I’m hoping there is a Champions League qualifier clause in his contract and because of our lack of funds we can’t afford to pay him off until we can’t qualify. Otherwise I see no reason to keep him on. We haven’t performed all season.

stevoc

I think they showed plenty of fight for the manager this season. Both liverpool games at OT, Villa at home, other games too when we have been poor but still tried. But today we didn't fight our way into the game, we were lucky to get anything from it and players who usually do show fight - the likes of Dalot, looked uninterested.
I don't buy into the whole fighting for the manager stuff. If a player or players show fight it doesn't necessarily mean they're fighting for the manager. The players have still been trying to varying degrees, they are playing the way Erik wants them to play but inevitably they'll lose heart some games. Because the way they're being asked to play makes no fecking sense if the goal is to win football matches.

gaffs

Wake up lads. This guy is taking us nowhere fast.

Yes, there have been injury issues, but he has his first choice midfield and forward 3, yet the look like a bunch of strangers.

Im not sure if he is stubborn or stupid. Either way, he shows no pragmatism. We know the back 4 is weak - make sure they are protected. Be hard to play against. Be compact and let our quick front 3 break on team.

The players are underperforming, yes. But we cant change 15 players in one window. We may make 3 or 4 signings. Does INEOS want to bring in players into a team next year that is underperming under this manager? They will just get dragged down to the level we have seen this season.

I wouldnt trust him with 200mil of new players that will be picked by INEOS's new hires. He couldn't make it work when he hand picked his own players from former clubs or leagues, so what makes anyone think he can make it work with players selected for him?

He had his chance. We are not going to make the CL despite Villa and Spurs fecking up. Abject performances against Brentford, Fulham, Chelsea and Bournemouth have sealed it - that should have been 12 points but we took home 2!

IRELANDUNITED

Have to agree with this. The worry is every single manager post Sir Alex has suffered the same faith and there is no indication that it won’t continue with whoever is managing us next season.

hobbers

We definitely do have something to lose. We should still have enough to get Europa, but if we implode then no european footy would be a disaster.
If we care about Europa have to sack him now then.

New manager/interim manager bounce is the only way we're getting any wins from Palace, Brighton, Arsenal and Newcastle.

But we've already pissed away the easiest CL qualification in the league's history by keeping him in January so might as well feck it all off now. Fans and owners cant get enough of writing off our seasons.

idek2346

If we care about Europa have to sack him now then.

New manager/interim manager bounce is the only way we're getting any wins from Palace, Brighton, Arsenal and Newcastle.

But we've already pissed away the easiest CL qualification in the league's history by keeping him in January so might as well feck it all off now. Fans and owners cant get enough of writing off our seasons.
We need Ole as interim....

Bestie07

The thing is, I don't have sympathy for someone about player profile when he doesn't even play those player profiles that he has at his disposal. Either he doesn't know how to recognize the right profiles (not in transfers, but in team selection) or he purposely ignores them. Either way, it makes him out to be incompetent.
Absolutely. He doesn't fancy the players we already have who can play the system he wants to play, and doesn't realize that he can't continue with this system with the players he prefers to use.

FootballAI

What annoys me most is he bought a bunch of players who played in lower league at ridiculous price. Let's be frank, Hojlund, Antony, Onana, Malacia are not at EPL level. Even Martinez who played better but could not handle the physical aspect of EPL. Given time surely they can grow into the job but until the club will suffer and this is not what we paid for.

When Chelsea paid for Palmer, Arsenal paid for Rice, Spur for Maddison, these all came at expensive price too but they are a lot more justified then the cost we paid for these bunch coming from lower league.

Nicoseth

What annoys me most is he bought a bunch of players who played in lower league at ridiculous price. Let's be frank, Hojlund, Antony, Onana, Malacia are not at EPL level. Even Martinez who played better but could not handle the physical aspect of EPL. Given time surely they can grow into the job but until the club will suffer and this is not what we paid for.

When Chelsea paid for Palmer, Arsenal paid for Rice, Spur for Maddison, these all came at expensive price too but they are a lot more justified then the cost we paid for these bunch coming from lower league.
Well this is a load of bollocks. Many players have come from so-called weaker leagues and smashed it in the prem.