Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 530 52.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 473 47.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

croadyman

Even taking into consideration that some of the votes for "yes" are from opposition fans trolling, I can't believe around 20% of United fans here would be fine wasting another season on him.

I feel like Fergie's final speech after the Swansea game seriously impacted a good portion of our fanbases mindset when it's come to managers. Back them no matter what.
That second paragraph is exactly the reason why we have over 20% of votes to keep him,even more mental is on another Utd forum there are more voters who would keep than sack

Phil

I feel like Fergie's final speech after the Swansea game seriously impacted a good portion of our fanbases mindset when it's come to managers. Back them no matter what.
Yeah that was a rare miss from the great man. Not all managers are SAF.
Some psychologist could have a field day studying our fans’ relationship with managers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
INEOS will have to have a huge Summer to improve squad to a point where his deficiencies in game management are not this detrimental to our results. As noted here it was already concerning during his Ajax days but he’s taken it to a whole new, unprecedented level this season. Hopefully we are able to build him a squad that is too good to throw games away in spite of his inability to manage games.
Nah, there has to be some criteria a manager has to meet to earn another year. You don’t build towards a future with a manager if he isn’t able to prove himself to be good enough. At the highest level you can’t carry anyone below the required level - not the CEO, not the manager and not the players.

ETH will gone at the end of the season. Even under the Glazers no manager has survived a season with no CL footy the following year and ETH won’t be the first to break that trend.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah that was a rare miss from the great man. Not all managers are SAF.
Some psychologist could have a field day studying our fans’ relationship with managers.
SAF attributed his success far too much to time as opposed to his own genius. It was a different period in football - you can suss managers out much faster now and their quality will generally show (or otherwise) much sooner.

foolsgold

I think we all know we're basically in the post Ten Hag era now, but worrying thing is the players must know this too. The body language from Sir Jim was awful today.

There's no way he turns this around. His authority is must be bleeding away every day. Even a miracle LvG cup win can't save him. It's just a matter of who we bring in to replace him at this point. We probably end up with Sancho back.

amolbhatia50k

I think we all know we're basically in the post Ten Hag era now, but worrying thing is the players must know this too. The body language from Sir Jim was awful today.

There's no way he turns this around. His authority is must be bleeding away every day. Even a miracle LvG cup win can't save him. It's just a matter of who we bring in to replace him at this point. We probably end up with Sancho back.
In what way?

croadyman

INEOS will have to have a huge Summer to improve squad to a point where his deficiencies in game management are not this detrimental to our results. As noted here it was already concerning during his Ajax days but he’s taken it to a whole new, unprecedented level this season. Hopefully we are able to build him a squad that is too good to throw games away in spite of his inability to manage games.
Jeez you aren't still backing him surely

redshaw

Did you, actually look at the subs we had available?

He didn't get them wrong, he's accused of over-playing 2 teenagers and then is savaged for taking them off with a 3 goal lead and 20 mins to go, he gets a lot of shit wrong but this wasn't a wrong decision today
Did you actually read anything beyond the first sentence?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nah, there has to be some criteria a manager has to meet to earn another year. You don’t build towards a future with a manager if he isn’t able to prove himself to be good enough. At the highest level you can’t carry anyone below the required level - not the CEO, not the manager and not the players.

ETH will gone at the end of the season. Even under the Glazers no manager has survived a season with no CL footy the following year and ETH won’t be the first to break that trend.
I think INEOS will keep him and will extend his contract by another 2-3 years soon. They will probably treat this as a long term process because that’s what he seems to be referring to as well so they will patiently wait for progress.

Son

He cannot stay even if we win the FA Cup.

It’s just not acceptable the tactics all season or the fact he’s spent huge money on multiple flops. His choices have absolutely put our club in a poor position.

He also didn’t want to hear Rangnick’s opinion which again was a big red flag. I still think that was utterly ridiculous and childish from the start.

Sarni

Jeez you aren't still backing him surely
No, I want him gone just as anyone sane would, but I think he is going to be fully backed and trusted, and will be here at least for another year.

croadyman

No, I want him gone just as anyone sane would, but I think he is going to be fully backed and trusted, and will be here at least for another year.
He's still here and sorry INEOS you have abysmal standards,how much more evidence to sack him do you actually need

amolbhatia50k

I think INEOS will keep him and will extend his contract by another 2-3 years soon. They will probably treat this as a long term process because that’s what he seems to be referring to as well so they will patiently wait for progress.
I don’t see this happening

croadyman

He cannot stay even if we win the FA Cup.

It’s just not acceptable the tactics all season or the fact he’s spent huge money on multiple flops. His choices have absolutely put our club in a poor position.

He also didn’t want to hear Rangnick’s opinion which again was a big red flag. I still think that was utterly ridiculous and childish from the start.
Yep I was fuming with the arrogance of him thinking he knew better than Rangnick. Ralf wasn't a manager but he certainly knew a player

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
True but we've 6 dead rubbers in the league coming up where they could have been given the day off.
People will have moaned if either were then injured that he should have rotated etc.

I am disgusted by yesterday but the subs weren’t the issue.

Roboc7

That’s never going to happen, they are building a structure that they want long term but the manager is going to be dispensable just as they are at every club. There is no way people like Berrada and Ashworth are going to allow themselves to be dragged through the mud to back a manager who is already on the verge of the sack before they have even started their jobs.

Matriac

Yep I was fuming with the arrogance of him thinking he knew better than Rangnick. Ralf wasn't a manager but he certainly knew a player
I want him gone asap as well, but he did get Rangnick's opinion, it was reported at the time that they had a long call to go through Rangnick's experience for half a season and his opinion of the squad.

(I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar conversation with Ole as well).

The role Rangnick was supposed to have as a consultant has been widely overblown as well. His deal was that he would work only 6 days per month, meaning he'd either fly in for a day or two, or join via calls to attend meetings.

But it seems much more like the deal for two years of consultancy was only to guarantee that Rangnick would be financially compensated enough since he walked away from a longterm contract to join us for just six months. I'm sure it was even discussed internally as a possibility that if he took another fulltime job after leaving us they could pay up the remaining 2 year commitment instead, since I doubt United would want him to sit in on important internal discussions while working for another club (or country as it turned out). For similar reasons to why senior personnel we're trying to hire now are put on gardening leave.

The alternative would be to ask him for advice on what he would do for two years without telling Rangnick any of what we were planning so he wouldn't know our plans. But as there was also bad blood from what had been said in the media this made even less sense.
Getting rid was the only sensible option. But it sounded much better in the media for both parties to not admit that his deal was mainly financially motivated, and that the club and manager felt capable to manage without him so that he wasn't abandoning us to take his fulltime job.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
SAF attributed his success far too much to time as opposed to his own genius. It was a different period in football - you can suss managers out much faster now and their quality will generally show (or otherwise) much sooner.
In that context it wasn't even a different time. Managers were sacked at a similar rate when they weren't successful.

berbasloth4

In a fantasy universe we have hired Sir Alex, pep or Johan cruyff. Two years later rashford is running like he is pulling an anchor. Hojlund is getting little service. Players aren’t doing extra work. Players aren’t trying to win a 40/60 - results are shit. Do we sack them? Do we let players countine being arsehole??

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
No chance. INEOS has shown they consider this a new era and are clearing the deck, they've fired and hired a bunch of football people including the mythical Director of Football. With that will come a new manager, their guy to begin their project. It makes no sense to replace all the old guys but keep the old coach in place.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No chance. INEOS has shown they consider this a new era and are clearing the deck, they've fired and hired a bunch of football people including the mythical Director of Football. With that will come a new manager, their guy to begin their project. It makes no sense to replace all the old guys but keep the old coach in place.
Depends on their view on the coach, if the coach is just a cog in what they believe is a consistent style of play, they may keep him to see if he can apply a style consistent with their methods.

That being said for our case I agree ten Hag very likely won't be given any further patience from them. I'm very curious to see who they'd go for though.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Depends on their view on the coach, if the coach is just a cog in what they believe is a consistent style of play, they may keep him to see if he can apply a style consistent with their methods.

That being said for our case I agree ten Hag very likely won't be given any further patience from them. I'm very curious to see who they'd go for though.
You could make that argument for a league or CL winning coach who has the pedigree but ETH has neither. He might as well be Moyes or Ole. I think they will want someone PL or CL proven. I'd want Enrique personally

stevoc

I think he means since 2000-2013 Man Utd only reached the FA Cup final 3 times (2004, 2005, 2007).
Possibly, not sure what relevance that would have to the job Ten Hag's doing as that team was bust winning Premier League and Champions League titles but ok.

Sarni

I think ten Hag is great at deflecting blame and I’m sure behind the scenes they will have had many conversations to determine why results have not been the best (though still decent as we sit 6th in the league and have just got to a cup final, something that surely is going to work in his favor).

He will have given them reasons which are going to primarily focus on inadequate player personnel, and they will now work to address that to ensure he has the right players to executive his vision. That will take time, they will need to bring correct players in but they will let it develop.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You could make that argument for a league or CL winning coach who has the pedigree but ETH has neither. He might as well be Moyes or Ole. I think they will want someone PL or CL proven. I'd want Enrique personally
Think they should go for pedigree regardless. That's what, Enrique, Valverde, Emery, Xavi for example

Pughnichi

I foolishly voted yes…instead preferring the squad to be decimated

but then I realised it wasn’t an either/or

Vote changed

the squad and the manager are an embarrassment. Aside from about 7 players (we all know who)…they should all go

stevoc

People will have moaned if either were then injured that he should have rotated etc.

I am disgusted by yesterday but the subs weren’t the issue.
If.

To be fair I haven't claimed the subs were the reason were were embarrassed yesterday.

stevoc

Just had a skim through this thread. The pages during the game were fun :lol:

It was nice to see the hardcore ten Hag supporters finally realise he's not the man for the job. I was probably the first person on this forum to express concerns. His first transfer window was already a warning sign for me despite even else being excited it Casemiro, Antony, Eriksen, etc. I said, after the rumours of Mount starting last summer, if said rumours were true, and we end up spunking the majority of our transfer budget on him, he'll have sealed his fate.

Well, we signed him and it sealed his fate. It showed he learnt nothing from the first transfer window, and indicated to me that there was no chance of us kicking on. All the hype in terms of him valuing press resistant players, only for him to spend hundreds of millions and not even sign one. Well, Martinez at his best is good under pressure, but he's a CB. We needed them in midfield and attack but bought a bunch of lightweights.
Give them 24-48 hours.

E-mal

In a fantasy universe we have hired Sir Alex, pep or Johan cruyff. Two years later rashford is running like he is pulling an anchor. Hojlund is getting little service. Players aren’t doing extra work. Players aren’t trying to win a 40/60 - results are shit. Do we sack them? Do we let players countine being arsehole??
This whole idea that because we want a manager sacked means we want to keep these players is backside analysis.
We can want this incompetent manager to be sacked and still want these players gone.
Players that you want out are the same players ETH has made the cornerstone of his team and the players you want gone are the ones keeping him in a job, so please make your analysis make sense

stevoc

What is the point of these tweets?
I assume to point out the sillyness of the argument that all (most) the players need to go before a failing manager and/or the even dumber ''these cnuts have thrown several managers under the bus now'' or similar nonsnese.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Firstly, I think two things: 1 ETH is already gone and knows it and 2 part of a manager's job is instilling the menatlity to win matches. So I'm finally at peace with his inevitable sacking. But for all this criticism, I'm not sure what he did wrong yesterday.

Plays AWB on the left because we literally have no left-backs, and because Dalot's delivery from the right and overlapping ability is crucial to the strategy. And we score from that.
Subs off Garnacho because he's in his first season of senior football, hadn't show much in a good few minutes and bringing on Antony should be absolutely fine from a 3-0 lead. In fact, should be a good idea.
Subs off Mainoo because he's a child, and cannot play 90, as has been shown in every match. Brings on literally the only other fit midfielder.
Keeps one sub in case of injury.

I look at the XI available players and don't see how the world's greatest coach builds a good team with that. McTominay cannot midfield. AWB is a capable one-on-one defender, but I'm not sure he's actually a footballer. Eriksen can't run. Maguire and Casemiro can't step up. Look at the bench ffs.

The squad is utterly broken at the moment. The same fans blaming that on ETH for pushing players back in too hard too quickly from injury are also demanding he win every week to save his job. I just end up feeling bad for him. I think he's a good coach, and will show that again somewhere else, but this situation is too much for him to manage.

stevoc

Of course this theory requires us to assume SAF, Pep or Johan would be failing as badly as Ten Hag and making all the same mistakes or that Ten Hag is as good as those 3 managers and it's just all on the players why we're failing.

Partridge

Sack him, and get rid of the oap's in the squad. I'm so feckin tired of watching absolute dross one minute, then something approaching good football the next.