Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 549 53.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 478 46.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yes, they had Edwards who was behind that. But, let's be honest, Klopp, like Fergie, made players play well above their true levels. He's clearly a top manager. Unfortunately, we still haven't hired a manager of that calibre post-Fergie.
Don't forget the inhalers.

Robbie Boy

Doesn't work like that mate. They have to apply themselves. To their credit, they did tonight for the most part.
I'm not sure I would go as far giving credit for beating a dog shit SU side at home. And, obviously it doesn't always work like that, but this SU side are really fecking bad.

stevoc

They also had the recruitment though, Klopp didn't just do it with substandard players. They bought extremely well because of the people above Klopp. There is that story about the club pushing Salah on him when he wanted Brandt...
Also possible Klopp being a top coach and getting the best put of players makes their recruitment look so good.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
It's the exact opposite. Today was the first coherent team performance in a while and it looked like we had a decent philosophy. SHU had two fluke goals out of nowhere.

The team knew exactly what they were doing and found Bruno / the wingers in space plenty of times. That's why we scored four.

Plenty of data to back it up. (Shots, touches in penalty box, shots allowed by the other team, threat created, 10+ pass sequences, PPDA etc.). Anyone who watches that game and thinks that's justification for Ten Hag out needs to get their head checked.

Stats don't tell me much versus a makeshift broken Sheffield with the worst defence in the league.

We needed a Bruno screamer to break them.
They still looked dangerous even at 4-2.

If it wasn't for that screamer, game could have gone south.

Phil

I like Erik but tonight might have been the last straw. Why does he tell Onana to put opposition players clean through on goal?

And I hate how he instructs every attacking player to shoot straight at the goalie when clean through. Could hear him shouting at Dalot when he was one on one, too, totally unfair because Dalot had every right to take half an hour before lining up his shot.

Bet he doesn’t have the guts to reprimand Bruno for shooting with his left when the ball back to Harry was on.

Not to mention Rashford and Martial seen parked outside McDonalds tonight (on double yellows) after sulking out of the squad through feigned injuries. Completely out of touch with this talented squad of ours.

Give it Dyche ‘til end of season. A bald man you can trust.
This isn’t half as clever as you think it is.

despairingfool

Performance tonight reminded me of last season. We looked like a normal team for most of the game which was great to see. The Sheffield utd goals were avoidable.

Antony was his usual self and should be sold in the summer.

Rashford wasn't missed at all. Would be good to see him moved on.

I was watching highlights of seasons gone by today and it struck me. We let Andy Cole go after 7 seasons here. He was so much better than Rashford. Yes we had RvN instead of Cole but we need to get more ruthless shifting on players.

Robbie Boy

Don't forget the inhalers.
Absolutely.

But, had we hired a top manager post-Fergie and given them the resources that we've spent, I'm confident we would have fared better. Unfortunately, we recruited in an aimless manner. I really wanted ETH but this season has been an unmitigated disaster.

Laurencio

Stats don't tell me much versus a makeshift broken Sheffield with the worst defence in the league.

We needed a Bruno screamer to break them.
They still looked dangerous even at 4-2.

If it wasn't for that screamer, game could have gone south.
We could have scored 8 before then. Compared to every other game this season, this was relatively controlled.

Robbie Boy

Also possible Klopp being a top coach and getting the best put of players makes their recruitment look so good.
Salah, Mane and VVD don't get to the levels they did without Klopp imo. Even others like Robertson, Firmino and Henderson played well above their actual levels.

NZT-One

Lets not overstate one match. Every game is different, that it looked so different may just as well result from Sheffields setup. I think, we played very well. Especially in 1st half where we looked very comfortable on the ball and finally seemed to work the ball a little bit. Actually like the subs, didn't take out Mainoo for once which helped the midfield (even if McTom introduction probably balanced that out).

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
We could have scored 8 before then. Compared to every other game this season, this was relatively controlled.
I didn't see anything resembling "We could have scored 8".
We had couple of good Garnacho chances, tame Hojlund shot and a good Dalot shot at the start. One decent Casemiro chance from a corner.

Sorry, but I didn't think we were very sharp. We didn't create quick, interesting attacks.
Passing patterns are largely missing.
We scored with a difficult header, penalty and a screamer.
I thought our best goal was Hojlund one.

Let's see what happens versus Burnley.

Berbaclass

Salah, Mane and VVD don't get to the levels they did without Klopp imo. Even others like Robertson, Firmino and Henderson played well above their actual levels.
Mate they literally paid £80 million for him because he was one of the best CB's around.

E-mal

Give him a new contract or sack him. I'd rather we sack him because I just dont see it over the course of the season. Tonight was alright but let's not forget Sheffield are rubbish

Robbie Boy

Mate they literally paid £80 million for him because he was one of the best CB's around.
Mate, I don't think anyone expected him to reach the levels he did. He was good, but his peak, as short as it was, was ridiculous. We also paid 80m for Magiue, presumably because he was "one of the best CB's around"...

Berbaclass

Give him a new contract or sack him. I'd rather we sack him because I just dont see it over the course of the season. Tonight was alright but let's not forget Sheffield are rubbish
Yeah true, I've only seen it posted like 9000 times because people refuse to give any credit whatsoever to the team :lol:

Weird.

leontas

We had couple of good Garnacho chances, tame Hojlund shot and a good Dalot shot at the start. One decent Casemiro chance from a corner.

Sorry, but I didn't think we were very sharp. We didn't create quick, interesting attacks.

Agree with this. Thought second half we didn’t create too many chances and were rather pedestrian. Particularly between the penalty and Bruno’s screamer, I was wondering where the goal was gonna come from.

We played the worst team in the league. There’s not too many conclusions that can be drawn from this game. They sat way back and let us have possession. Let’s see how we do vs Crystal Palace, Newcastle and Brighton.

I’d love for this to be a stepping stone for us to string a few wins together at the end of the season but I’m not holding my breath.

Berbaclass

Mate, I don't think anyone expected him to reach the levels he did. He was good, but his peak, as short as it was, was ridiculous. We also paid 80m for Magiue, presumably because he was "one of the best CB's around"...
They bought Allison and VVD and it took the team to the next level. Not the other way round. They were both ready-made elite players. Maguire is an example of the disjointed thinking above the manager. Good player but we've never really used him in his optimal role in the right system.

I'd even argue with Mane, to be honest. He was very good for Southampton, he was better at Liverpool but I think it was just because he was just playing in a better side. Salah is a bit of a weird one because he had that stint at Chelsea where he never really got a look in like KDB and had to go elsewhere to prove himself. I remember watching him for Roma and thought he was always going to get another big move.

Laurencio

I am under no illusion that we're going to suddenly get good now, or that Ten Hag is somehow going to get us performing well. All I'm saying is that compared to the rest of this season, this was relatively controlled. That is admittedly a low bar.

E-mal

Yeah true, I've only seen it posted like 9000 times because people refuse to give any credit whatsoever to the team :lol:

Weird.
We could have scored 10 and they could have scored a few themselves. Arsenal pumped them 6 at home

Robbie Boy

They bought Allison and VVD and it took the team to the next level. Not the other way round. They were both ready-made elite players.
Mate, just stop. The consensus at the time was that Southampton rinsed Liverpool for VVD. There's no way, for example, had we bought he that he would have reached those levels. This is going well off topic btw. The overarching point was that we've recruited managers terribly since Fergie retired. We've also spent a shit tonne on players that "should have taken us to the next level". Problem is, we've never had a world class manager to oversee that transformation.

Abraxas

What's the logic of this? Why would he ever be offered a new contract at this stage?

If he's going to stay he needs to earn his continued existence at this club which means a good start to next season, one indicating genuine progress.

I think that would be a mistake because he's too far gone and is lacking credibility, but in no way should a contract be an option.

Berbaclass

Mate, just stop. The consensus at the time was that Southampton rinsed Liverpool for VVD. There's no way, for example, had we bought he that he would have reached those levels. This is going well off topic btw. The overarching point was that we've recruited managers terribly since Fergie retired. We've also spent a shit tonne on players that "should have taken us to the next level". Problem is, we've never had a world class manager to oversee that transformation.
We don't need a world-class manager. What we need as a bare minimum is owners who value on-field success and empower the right people to achieve that, Something Liverpool did and we didn't. It's as simple as that.

E-mal

What's the logic of this? Why would he ever be offered a new contract at this stage?

If he's going to stay he needs to earn his continued existence at this club which means a good start to next season, one indicating genuine progress.

I think that would be a mistake because he's too far gone and is lacking credibility, but in no way should a contract be an option.
Oh trust me I want him gone like yesterday but with each passing day his authority on the team continue to diminish. It is pointless to keep him next season without a new contract as he will also be unsettled.

stevoc

Yep definitely, Henderson is a great example, look at Endo this season for them. Even Fabinho in his first few seasons there before he fell off a cliff.

I hate Klopp but he's made the players at his disposal greater than the sum of their parts. Our managers post SAF have not been on that level, Jose was once upon a time but not by the time he got here.

Berbaclass

We could have scored 10 and they could have scored a few themselves. Arsenal pumped them 6 at home
Both their goals were pretty low-value chances and as you say we could have scored many more. What is your point regarding Arsenal. They're a better team than us, I'm not sure what you're getting at with that comparison?

Robbie Boy

We don't need a world-class manager. What we need as a bare minimum is owners who value on-field success and empower the right people to achieve that, Something Liverpool did and we didn't. It's as simple as that.
Without Edwards, I'm pretty confident Klopp would still have been a success. Our owners didn't cause our managers to constantly implode.

OrcaFat

The season is a write-off in terms of league position but we’ve got the cup final to come and we can get a result there if we play our best and get a bit of luck.

Either way, I think Erik is doing a decent job in the circumstances and will do much better next year. If we keep him, he’ll justify it.