Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

hobbers

Lopetegui going to West Ham. Another one off Bayern's short list of doom.

BorisManUtd

Yeah but we didn't get Kane and FDJ so you can totally understand why Ten Hag can't do anything with the entire squad. I mean, how can you realistically expect us to beat Brentford and Bournemouth without 11 new players?
True. We're spoiled for expecting to beat Burnley at home after missing out on Kane.

On serious note, things perhaps went wrong with ten Hag before he even started at the club. Plan was to keep Rangnick in consultancy role and ten Hag as manager, it looked like board finally knew what they were doing. Then when it was announced Rangnick would leave the club and that felt like "Oh, United are actually still a mess, never mind".

crossy1686

career ending
True. We're spoiled for expecting to beat Burnley at home after missing out on Kane.

On serious note, things perhaps went wrong with ten Hag before he even started at the club. Plan was to keep Rangnick in consultancy role and ten Hag as manager, it looked like board finally knew what they were doing. Then when it was announced Rangnick would leave the club and that felt like "Oh, United are actually still a mess, never mind".
Our issues start and end with the board not knowing what they're doing and then allowing a manager that also doesn't know what he's doing total control of the football club with the power to buy and sell whomever he wants. Then you get our fans asking for individuals like this to be given more time so they can replace everyone and leave us with a team full of Antony's, Mount's and Onana's like that's somehow going to get us competing for major titles in a few years.

The board were so inept that not at any point did they force the Rangnick situation on Ten Hag. They let him decide if he wanted a boss or not, imagine having that kind of power?

stevoc

Its a bit of a silly conversation. I pointed out the improvement since Jan. I guess you acknowledge that which is why you want to look at the whole season (which I do not contest). Simply pointing out its not correct to act as if he has not been working on things all season the improvement in attacking output shows that.
I don't contest there's been some improvement but it's still not good enough. And I was simply carrying on with my original point which you replied to mate.

Well to be honest I've no idea if he has been working on things or not which have contributed positively to our goals scored, it could be down to Hojlund finally having a good run or Bruno rediscovering his goalscoring form I don't know. But again even if he has been working on it, it's still not good enough, and if we say he's been working on the attack from the looks of it he definitely hasn't been working on the defence or trying to stop us allowing the opposition 20+ shots a game. Or the fact he seems to be ok with our wide forwards, whoever happens to be on the pitch completely ignoring Hojlund and barely ever passing to him most games. The huge gap in midfield that opponents regardless of their quality seem to be able to run rampant in. Among other issues.

On the defensive end its hard to judge correctly with all the injuries but we have been very poor.

All in all a very disappointing season but Im not the type to judge a manager on a single season. If he goes fine if he stays hopefully he improves next season
I'm in the same boat, if he stays I'll hope for the best. But me personally I've seen enough over the last 18 months to lead me to believe this guy isn't cut out for the Premier League and a club like United. If he leaves I wish him well elsewhere as I've nothing against him personally.

stevoc

He's definitely lost his his head. Gone from saying all the right things to all the wrong things.
Well Jose says otherwise.

That can't be a real quote form Ten Hag, lost the plot if it is.

He's in full face saving mode, looks like he thinks he's getting the boot soon.

Marcelinho87

Bayern wants both Rangnick and ETH, both of them Redcafe has decided they are idiots and poor managers. Maybe the general consensus of the Caf has got it wrong...
The Caf always gets it wrong just look at Carrick and McKenna - it’s why people are sat at home on forums and not doing the job themselves.

EtH will go away and be better than shown here - we have to hope INEOS and their structure fixes things for the next manager.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

A great way to motivate the players he ‘s bought too.

padzilla

Hipster
All the talk coming out of OT seems to suggest he's going to be in charge at the start of next season.

steffyr2

The two big players he wanted were Kane and FDJ. He got neither.
Not quite sure who 'he' is here, but I guess it could be both...Both wanted them and neither got them.
Now that Utd are stuck in mid-table mediocrity for a while, that we're going to have to look for mid-table players.

RedDevil@84

He's definitely lost his his head. Gone from saying all the right things to all the wrong things.
Well, I don't really blame him for trying to cling on to a high paying job.

I think the centrereddevils missed this gem though

"There are seven, eight teams who all go for the title, who all have very good squads. So if you want to go to the title, you have to construct that squad."

I wonder if we were 10th, he would say there are 10 teams going for the title in PL.

hobbers

Hope it is and they get Jose in the studio for the Arsenal or FA cup final games.

He will eviscerate Ten Hag.

Rista

To me, he's not talking like a bloke who will be here next season. It's all very defensive and comes across at him washing his hands of everything and trying to make clear to his next employer he wasn't the problem.
100%. There is no way he makes these recent comments if he's been given any assurances. If he thought he was staying, what exactly would complaining to the media about not getting all his signings achieve? In a way he's also saying the signings we've made under him are shite so not a great message either.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
These fecking players do not deserve anything after they have thrown him under the bus! We should despite every single one of them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So he's not willing to work under the structure that doesn't let him pick players. Good.
We should do absolutely everything in our power to buy him the players he needs.

This club is about ETH.

Judas

Open to offers
100%. There is no way he makes these recent comments if he's been given any assurances. If he thought he was staying, what exactly would complaining to the media about not getting all his signings achieve? In a way he's also saying the signings we've made under him are shite so not a great message either.
Exactly, find it quite bizarre/interesting so many see it the opposite way.

crossy1686

career ending
From the article:
Before the match, Red Devils coach Erik ten Hag gave an exclusive interview to ESPN and analyzed the performance of the two Brazilians in his squad: midfielder Casemiro and attacking midfielder Antony .

Ten Hag on Casemiro's Season
"He arrived last season and had a big impact on our game. He had a great season. This season, he missed two and a half months, the team hasn't performed so well, especially our defensive line, which makes it difficult for a steering wheel like him", analyzed the commander.
"This made Casemiro's season more difficult. But you see that he is a leader, he is always there giving confidence to the team, asking for the ball, risking passes, so he remains important," he added.
Ten Hag on Antony
"Lately he has been progressing. He scored on Saturday (against Burnley, in the 35th round), gave two assists against Chelsea... The first part of the season was not at the level he can play at, but he has improved in the last few months", argued.
"You can see the potential, the player he can be. It just depends on him. He has to work hard in training, outside the club too, in the gym, to reach the best version of him", he added.
Ten Hag on The difficulty of "post-Ferguson"
Asked about the great difficulties of training a "sleeping giant", Ten Hag sent an "indirect" message to the board and highlighted that the coaches who led the "Red Devils" did not have their hiring requests answered by the club's top management.
"I think that, with the exception of (José) Mourinho, the coaches didn't have the players they wanted. If you manage Manchester United, you need incredible players", he highlighted.
"And you also need to be patient with the process. We have 24 players with great potential and we need to develop them individually and as a team. I am confident that we will achieve our goals," he added.
"But the Premier League is a tough competition. It's not a two-horse race, there are seven or eight contenders for the title, with a great squad. If you want to fight for the title, you have to build a strong squad", he added.

hobbers

7 or 8 contenders for the title :lol:

Full on face-saving survival-mode bullshittery. If we were 10th like we deserve to be, he would have said 9 or 10.

hobbers

:lol: You mean we were in a title race all along? Someone should have told us!
'Heh, the fans must support the process, you can see we compete in a title race two seasons in a row, heh, and also we do so with 60 injuries, heh. That is progression.'

luke511

Mount
Onana
Amrabat
Antony
Malacia
Martinez
Eriksen
Weghorst

All clearly players he wanted, amounting to £250 million. Managers in today's game don't get such treatment right after being hired, he's just pure bullshitting at this point.

RedC

Mount
Onana
Amrabat
Antony
Malacia
Martinez
Eriksen
Weghorst

All clearly players he wanted, amounting to £250 million. Managers in today's game don't get such treatment right after being hired, he's just pure bullshitting at this point.
He clearly means top targets when he says this, he wasn't petitioning for Weghorst or Malacia as starters.

SATA

Speaking of signings, I think he really wanted Frenkie to play his Ajax style of football here, but it’s not the club’s fault that the player himself didn’t want to move, isn’t it? United would have paid up if Frenkie wanted to come

alexanderplatz

Our issues start and end with the board not knowing what they're doing and then allowing a manager that also doesn't know what he's doing total control of the football club with the power to buy and sell whomever he wants. Then you get our fans asking for individuals like this to be given more time so they can replace everyone and leave us with a team full of Antony's, Mount's and Onana's like that's somehow going to get us competing for major titles in a few years.

The board were so inept that not at any point did they force the Rangnick situation on Ten Hag. They let him decide if he wanted a boss or not, imagine having that kind of power?
I totally understood why ten hag didn’t want that person upstairs making him accountable but now he has to take ownership. He wanted all the control in the first place and the board were weak enough to give it to him. Now he wants to be part of a structure. I would give him a chance to coach his way out of it next season but my honest opinion is that he still gets sacked halfway next season. Would like to be wrong on this but it just feels like it is headed this way

Revan

Assumptionman
He is deluded as feck. 7-8 teams competing for title in EPL. While in real universe, in 3 weeks City would have won the 6th title in the last 7 seasons (and the 4th consecutive one).

Anyway, good news. We were in title race both this and the previous season. Actually, it seems that we were in title race every season since SAF left, we just were too dumb to realize it.

Revan

Assumptionman
I totally understood why ten hag didn’t want that person upstairs making him accountable but now he has to take ownership. He wanted all the control in the first place and the board were weak enough to give it to him. Now he wants to be part of a structure. I would give him a chance to coach his way out of it next season but my honest opinion is that he still gets sacked halfway next season. Would like to be wrong on this but it just feels like it is headed this way
If you think he’ll be sacked next season anyway, why would you want for him to get the new season?

Seriously, there must be something wrong with lots of United fans. It is like reading a new version of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

RedDevil@84

Mount
Onana
Amrabat
Antony
Malacia
Martinez
Eriksen
Weghorst

To give him the benefit of doubt, I think some of them were not his top targets, but the players he settled for because that is what the club could do because of FFP or other reasons.
And unless we believe that the manager has a say in the negotiation process of the transfer amounts. I would believe his veto is only for the question "do you want this player or not" and not on "Do you want this player for 30M or 40M or 80M?"

Having said all that, the team plays shit football and that is on ETH and makes him sackworthy. I still believe he goes. Is it before or after the FA cup final remains to be seen.

Revan

Assumptionman
To give him the benefit of doubt, I think some of them were not his top targets, but the players he settled for because that is what the club could do because of FFP or other reasons.
And unless we believe that the manager has a say in the negotiation process of the transfer amounts. I would believe his veto is only for the question "do you want this player or not" and not on "Do you want this player for 30M or 40M or 80M?"

Having said all that, the team plays shit football and that is on ETH and makes him sackworthy. I still believe he goes. Is it before or after the FA cup final remains to be seen.
There is no way that he is not aware of the costs of players. And even if he is just 1% intelligent as Caf thinks, he would have known that spending 80m in Antony would have consequences next season. Or spending over 100m in Onana and Mount (two players we didn’t need at all) will have consequences on the rest of the transfer window.

He is either too dumb or he was full aware of consequences but actually thought signing those players for that amount of money was a good idea and was fine with that.

No one was forcing EtH to sign players for those massive prices, especially players that they probably didn’t know they exist until EtH asked to sign them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
7 or 8 contenders for the title :lol:

Full on face-saving survival-mode bullshittery. If we were 10th like we deserve to be, he would have said 9 or 10.
If we were where our xPts suggest we should be in the table, there would be 15-16 teams competing for the title according to him.

sparx99

Half of that list are top targets
I actually only think one of that list was a top target.

Mount - Top target

Onana - Opportunistic buy because we were heavily linked to Diogo Costa but his release clause was something like €65-70m. We heard Onana could be gotten for €50m and ETH had worked with him before so they went for it probably so they could use those funds saved elsewhere.

Amrabat - clearly wasn’t a top target. He was prioritised until late in the window when we had created funds from selling fringe players. Therefore, was clearly intended as a squad utility player.

Antony - Was suggested earlier at a lower price point and only brought in late in the window after a bad start.

Malacia - Always a squad player signing.

Martinez - we actually pursued Timber first.

Eriksen - A free agent brought in as a backup option as FDJ seemed unlikely and we needed a more culture midfielder.

Weghorst - an emergency January loan signing.

Rista

Seriously, there must be something wrong with lots of United fans. It is like reading a new version of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
I think it's that unfortunate speech by Sir Alex. It got recommended to me recently and the top comment with +10k likes says "he told us to stand by the manager, so sad to see our fans still haven't learned". People still think managers should have unconditional support over everyone at the club.

luke511

I actually only think one of that list was a top target.

Mount - Top target

Onana - Opportunistic buy because we were heavily linked to Diogo Costa but his release clause was something like €65-70m. We heard Onana could be gotten for €50m and ETH had worked with him before so they went for it probably so they could use those funds saved elsewhere.

Amrabat - clearly wasn’t a top target. He was prioritised until late in the window when we had created funds from selling fringe players. Therefore, was clearly intended as a squad utility player.

Antony - Was suggested earlier at a lower price point and only brought in late in the window after a bad start.

Malacia - Always a squad player signing.

Martinez - we actually pursued Timber first.

Eriksen - A free agent brought in as a backup option as FDJ seemed unlikely and we needed a more culture midfielder.

Weghorst - an emergency January loan signing.
Diogo Costa was a scouted choice, Onana was his top choice, therefore he got his top target. Antony was his top target too, and Timber rejected us so Martinez then became his first choice and we bought him. The criteria here is players that Ten Hag wanted, which he's claiming he didn't get, it's pure delusion.

stevoc

Fair point actually, though in his time at United he won't have filled many with the idea that his man management is great at all.

He's in full throw everyone but himself under the bus mode.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we were where our xPts suggest we should be in the table, there would be 15-16 teams competing for the title according to him.
Every game is like a final nowadays in EPL.

While in real world, City consistently gets 90-100 points.

luke511

Fair point actually, though in his time at United he won't have filled many with the idea that his man management is great at all.

That's his only mode.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

And it seems to be working on a large portion of the fanbase, and possibly on the new hierarchy as well