Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

BuzzKillington

I would of hoped that the club would have learnt from the last debacle of sacking a manager who is in the FA Cup Final. Despicable classless behaviour if true.
It’s not quite the same as last time if this is true, there wasn’t a peep out of the club until fecking Jose broke the story after the final whistle if I remember correctly.

But what is the same is they both deserved/deserve to go based on what has been served up in the rest of the season leading up to the final. Regardless of result in the final.

hobbers

Bayern going for the best bald Benelux manager available.

Our bald dutch manager is sloppy thirds.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Have we established if dimarzio actually said this? Pretty sure he didn’t tweet it

frostbite

Barca wants Pep, but since he is not available, they should hire ETH. They already have De Jong, so they will only need to buy Antony, Onana and Martinez, and they will be unstoppable!

davidmichael

I do find it interesting that outside of the loose interest in Potter it seems Ajax haven’t actively been looking for a new manager, do they know something ? Are they not looking as they’ve spoken to ETH and he’s said “if as expected I’m gone after the final I’ll come back eh” ?

mu4c_20le

I do find it interesting that outside of the loose interest in Potter it seems Ajax haven’t actively been looking for a new manager, do they know something ? Are they not looking as they’ve spoken to ETH and he’s said “if as expected I’m gone after the final I’ll come back eh” ?
They are about to announce Farioli soon

lsd

The Oracle
So he might go, but might stay - what a waste of 50 seconds.
He's clueless and always is. I've no idea how some proper listen to him. Absolutely nonsense to suggest the decision to either sack him or not hasn't been made for some time now.

One thing is for certain it's not open and those in charge know exactly what they are going to do

Red00012

He's clueless and always is. I've no idea how some proper listen to him. Absolutely nonsense to suggest the decision to either sack him or not hasn't been made for some time now.

One thing is for certain it's not open and those in charge know exactly what they are going to do
Ya if it was a few years back I’d have agreed with him. But I’m pretty sure they’ve made a decision and if he is leaving they’ve already spoken to who’s taking over .

The Firestarter

Alonso was probably the one but he's Madrid bound. In the mean time we know it can't be Ten Hag so lets role the dice and give someone else a chance.
I think Tuchel is the one that I am fairly confident can actually improve the squad in short time. But wasn't mentioned in the last "leak" - well perhaps it's a load of shite anyway.

BorisManUtd

Not sure if Di Marzio is reliable regarding Premier League news but it is looking more likely ten Hag will be gone with Tuchel definitely available, Poch free, Chelsea in for McKenna and de Zerbi available as well.

Irwin99

I just read the Athletic piece on Poch and the complaints about his 'brutal' and 'primitive' training methods that allegedly caused the extensive injury list at Chelsea. A lot of emphasis on high intensity work and winning the ball back that didn't go down well. I'm sure any United fan reading it will be reading something very similar again in a week or so.

I'm sure Poch will fit in very well here as EtH's replacement ;).

McFred

If ETH goes I would take DeZerbi of those listed, if only because seeing us actually play successfully out of the back on a regular basis would feel like a guilty pleasure at this stage.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
No he wasn't don't make shit up
He was a far far better coach. His football was boring but he literally transformed our squad into a possession based side.

He laid the groundwork for a more progressive possession based manager to take us to the next level, but then we ditched it all and went with Mourinho.

clarkydaz

He was a far far better coach. His football was boring but he literally transformed our squad into a possession based side.

He laid the groundwork for a more progressive possession based manager to take us to the next level, but then we ditched it all and went with Mourinho.
it was only the last third of the pitch that was the problem, he had Chris Smalling playing out from the back. In time i think he would have adjusted the attack to what was needed

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No he wasn't don't make shit up
LvG was terrible but he was miles ahead of our current liar in charge.

We had some absolutely boss performances in big games, Juanfield being the main one.

Teja

I'd put money on either Tuchel / De Zerbi with the latter being more likely.

The whole scenario around him resigning from Brighton with no club seemingly in for him speaks volumes. He said he wanted to be in the PL and wouldn't just walk away without anything in hand.

We'll probably let Ten Hag say goodbye after the FA cup game and announce immediately after.

TsuWave

That Di Marzio report has put a smile on my face all day. Been walking around like I won the powerball or something.

Getting closer to an official statement, hopefully.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Weren't people in here recently saying Bayern would be all over him since they're very familiar with him and know how good he is?

DSG

I think you tread very carefully with this manager appointment.

one thing we’ve learned in the last 11 seasons is that finding the next SAF is very very difficult. Given the huge amounts spent in the transfer markets, the 30-40m you’d spend on a 3yr contract for a manager is peanuts compared to the 200m we spend every summer transfer window and the 60-100m made in the CL.

I would pay 12m-15m per year, but shorter contracts, loaded with performance guarantees or milestones.

United is the biggest club in England, the manager should be top 3 in salary in the PL, probably higher, top 2?

I think the really top, top managers, like Ancelotti, Zidane, Enrique, potentially Xavi, Tuchel, Alonso, they will expect that kind of money.

Managing a club like United, is it reasonable to expect burnout at some point? 4yr mark? 5th?

my point is we need to think strategically in the hiring of a manager/head coach as well. What structure allows us to simultaneously attract the best manager talent as well as protect us if we fail to finish in the top 4 and ideally, challenge for major trophies?

hobbers

Bayern officially more encouraged by Burnley's football than Manchester United's.

But yeh let's give him another season :lol:

NK86

They will enjoy it and they should be allowed to. It is not the behaviour of a top club to dismiss a manager on the eve or on the day of a cup final.
They are not firing Eth on the eve. They might be firing him after the cup final (it does not even say when exactly). Yet you term the club classless based on very little information.

NK86

The classless part came because the story broke the day of the cup final and LVG didn't know. He should have been told before the media found out.
I am not talking about LVG here. It is about Eth and his potential sacking after the FA cup final. What is wrong with that?

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Honestly I find it hard to see him staying, FA cup or not

He has shown himself to be unable to judge a player based on his signings..... there is the caveat of the lack of a football structure but if they say we can get you Antony but it's going to be 80m Ten Hag should have the common sense to say no.

There have been issues with the squad and whilst the likes of Sancho is certainly no model of professionalism by the sounds of things there were periods where Varane wasn't getting picked for whatever reason. It certainly felt like/sounded like it wasn't the happiest of dressing rooms and the man seems to lack charisma in managing these players.

Injuries have been horrendous but there is an issue with training and coaching given the huge number of muscle injuries suffered surely to some extent. Based on that interview where Ten Hag explained why we sent Reguillon back, leaving us since December without a leftback, is comical - there must be serious communication issues between the physio/medical team and the manager. Ten Hag isn't on it in this regard.

The tactics have been shocking. How on earth can we expect to compete for anything given the amount of shots we have given up. Brighton with slightly better finishing would have beaten us at weekend and that game summed us up. When we've won it hasn't been due to any kind of dominance....more about us taking chances better in our shootout. I struggle to see how having Luke Shaw or Martinez fit for longer period would have helped with the lack of midfield presence.

The big defence of Ten Hag is the Glazers system, the injuries and the idea of sticking with a manager under a new regime. I'm not sure it's enough. Does Ten Hag have it in him to turn this around? I'm not sure
Re Antony, the fact he coaches Antony and Kudus together for years at Ajax and somehow he thought Antony is better than him and worth double Kudus' price is a sackable offence.

croadyman

Didn't Ornstein pretty much say that Tuchel wasn't near the top of the list?
Ah wait a minute didn't he also say that Southgate and Potter weren't near the top either, hmmm maybe there is a connection there.

Last edited: