Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

OsloRed

Sacking a manager just after a cup final is a disgrace. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.
What made the van Gaal situation classless was the fact that it leaked during the final, not that he was sacked. If they decide to sack him, it should be done in the days after the final. Waiting for however long just to have some class could be disastrous if the person INEOS wants goes to another club in the meantime.

OsloRed

Portuguese Chelsea manager leaves club
Rumours he'll be next United manager
Under-fire Dutch United manager goes into FA cup final with strong rumours he's getting sacked

Where have we seen this before
Which Portuguese Chelsea manager has gotten sacked recently?

No Love

Maybe Di Marzio is so confident because Dan Ashworth CC’d him into an E-mail he wasn’t meant to see.

shabin_d_great

Portuguese Chelsea manager leaves club
Rumours he'll be next United manager
Under-fire Dutch United manager goes into FA cup final with strong rumours he's getting sacked

Where have we seen this before
Though poch is not portugese.. but if this means we are winning the fa cup, i am all in

FortunaUtd

Ten Hag was always going to be sacked at the end of the season. He is gone. If we win the FA Cup with him, all the better, he leaves on a high.

DSG

Sounds like he's completely covering himself by saying 50/50. Also surely the owners aren't putting their decision down to the performance and attitude against City in the final. He knows nothing.
He needs clicks. Just made a cool $10k from that nothingburger post. :lol:

DSG

By all accounts, it's been said multiple times by people like Andy Mitten, that the club will look completely different in 12 months time, and by that they mean players, staff, structure.

INEOS have been pretty ruthless so far with the big earners who either don't play or aren't performing up to a standard that matches their wages. Varane, Martial, likely Casemiro and Sancho also, are the first out the door, probably quickly followed by those who aren't good enough like VDB. Make no mistake about it, that's a cost cutting strategy, not a 'clear the deadwood and support the manager' strategy. Players like Rashford (who people want sold due to perceived attitude issues) will still be here next season and the manager will pick him every game he's fit, regardless of who the manager is.

When he's not banging on about immigration, Ratcliffe has spoken multiple times about the need for patience at United. They don't foresee a quick rebuild scenario, in fact it seems they are under the impression this whole structure they're putting together will take more than 12 months to bear fruit. So whomever the manager is can't have the attitude of playing however they want and finishing 8th because they're too stubborn to adapt to the players they currently have and focus on winning games today.

Then you've got Ten Hag who seems to be lying his way through a job interview and hoping the owners don't fact check him. We don't create the most chances, we're not the most dynamic team in the league, we're not better than we were last season etc, all things that he's said in the last month.

CL football is a must next season and we need a manager that will come in and get the best out of the players we have and then build upon it with the help of the incoming strucutural changes over the course of the coming seasons. If that means playing counter attacking football for a year or two then that's what we have to do. You can't just throw all your players under the bus because you don't have a fit left footed CB and De Jong in the midfield. Ten Hag isn't the man to lead this rebuild, we know that much. I'm sure that the new management are busy in talks with many managers who potentially fit the bill.
It’s smart for Ratcliffe to say the things he’s said. He needs to buy time. Another thing that is at least somewhat encouraging is that we seem to have less leaks. We are linked with fewer players, we have less sourced news in general. I genuinely think they know what they will do with Ten Hag, but they’ve closed ranks. Hopefully the decision to sack Ten Hag will be swift and professional with minimal drama.

gaffs

Hope the news is true.

INEOS are going to rebuild this squad over the next few years. Is he really the one to be trusted in coaching that squad?

In two years we have not seen a well organised, well coached, team put out on the pitch. We have got by on moments, because our players are generally more talented than than the ones we are up against.

If he can't get a tune out of the players he has hand picked, they why do we think he will do any better with ones that are being selected for him?

I think he has lost the respect and attention of a lof of the current squad, be it with inconsistent disciplinary actions, weird tactics or consistently complaining about the players that are unavailable to injury. He would be better served focusing on what we have, which with a bit of organisation should still be enough to beat the mid table clubs we often lose against.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Tbh, i don't believe that Erik's situation is "completely opened" with one game to play. Ineos hired "best people in business" and i doubt that they still didn't decide about him and future manager.

gaffs

I would of hoped that the club would have learnt from the last debacle of sacking a manager who is in the FA Cup Final. Despicable classless behaviour if true.
The news should not leek, but minds have to be made up.

There are a ton of clubs that are looking for managers. The club need to be sounding out candidates now.

Cant wait for the FA cup final, which we are unlikely to win. And even if we were to, would that be down to a Ten Hag managerial masterclass? More likely a backs to the wall performance and we nick a goal on the counter.

Smores

I still think he's known his time is up for a while. This news is probably leaked because Ten Hag's agent will be lining him up for the jobs becoming available.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Get him gone. Hopefully he can go to Bayern and show us what we've missed on.

stevoc

I think 3 days to 1 week after the final. Let them enjoy the win.
Fair enough mate I'd agree, I wish this news had been kept secret until after the final.

Granted the DiMarzio report could be nonsense but Ten Hag's job is definitely on the line.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
The timing doesn't make sense. Its either City's camp trying to affect our performance in the final or we have dumb owners letting this sensitive info leak.

Smithy89

LVG was better in every singe way and was sacked after an FA cup win, no way this bloke survives.

frostbite

It was obvious, wasn't it?

If they had decided to keep him for another year, they'd have announced it already, there is no advantage keeping it secret.

But why would they want to keep the worst manager we had in the past 30 years? Saving a little money makes no sense in this case, Ten Hag has already wasted enormous amounts of money.

crossy1686

career ending
The timing doesn't make sense. Its either City's camp trying to affect our performance in the final or we have dumb owners letting this sensitive info leak.
Or the very obvious one that you missed, Ten Hag’s agency putting it out there that he’s available next week so all you clubs looking for a manager don’t be too hasty in appointing someone.

crossy1686

career ending

If they had decided to keep him for another year, they'd have announced it already, there is no advantage keeping it secret.

But why would they want to keep the worst manager we had in the past 30 years? Saving a little money makes no sense in this case, Ten Hag has already wasted enormous amounts of money.
I think if the deluge of experienced managers didn’t just come available he’d have probably scraped another year by the skin of his teeth.

Chipper

Adulterer.

I don't know about the announcement thing. You get the odd vote of confidence from a board towards a manager, which often results in them getting sacked anyway soon after, but most clubs don't come out and say someone is staying or even acknowledge speculation. Announcements are for sackings only and the new appointment the vast majority of the time.

Would like to see a change, and there's every chance we will but if he was staying I wouldn't expect them to tell us.