Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

SuperiorXI

I would of hoped that the club would have learnt from the last debacle of sacking a manager who is in the FA Cup Final. Despicable classless behaviour if true.

Redstain

No idea how Di Marzio would know pending talking to the agent of a prospective manager the club is in conversation with, makes you think the Roberto De Zerbi confidentiality agreement from Brighton (reportedly) is with United.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I would of hoped that the club would have learnt from the last debacle of sacking a manager who is in the FA Cup Final. Despicable classless behaviour if true.
Sacking an underperforming manager is despicable and classless simply because he made a cup final? :confused:

Maticmaker

A lot of fans dont know or care about that, there's people on here and social media that think Ratcliffe, Ineos, Ashworth etc are all incompetent before they've even got their feet under the desk. :lol:
Yes, I suspect that is true. I must say I was a bit sceptical when Sir Jim was jostling with the Arab Prince for a place at the top table; however, the head-hunting he started on right away took away some of that scepticism.
Of course, many fans don't care who is in control they think it's all like the FIFA video game, just keep swapping players (and managers) until you get it right, I desperately hope we are over that phase now.

I don't know id Erik will be able to translate his success in Holland to a top league, I wish him all the best when he does leave. But I think at this stage there's mounting evidence that he's not a great fit for Manchester United or the Premier League.
Yes, I suppose he is serving his 'PL apprenticeship' at OT :lol:

What do you think about Pochettino being in the frame.... suppose the rumours on him will be heavily laden now he's left Chelsea? Overall, probably a better fit for United, but he's becoming the 'nearly man' as far as winning the top titles are concerned.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No idea how Di Marzio would know pending talking to the agent of a prospective manager the club is in conversation with, makes you think the Roberto De Zerbi confidentiality agreement from Brighton (reportedly) is with United.
Di Marzio works between northern italy and Monaco. Agents spend a large amount of time in Monaco.

Last edited:

sepulturite

Is it only DiMarzio saying it so far? What a weird way for such a thing to break.
Could be because of De Zerbi being Italian and someone from his camp leaking that, only if he is definitely one of the candidates of course.

Dannn411

Remember when Di Marzio was the go to guy?! Feels like this story is just taken with a pinch of salt.
He's still a top tier source for me. Not the same fanfare as Romano but he's still solid in my book.

Blood Mage

Not as reliable as he once was maybe but he seems very confident about it. Will be awkward if we win the cup on Saturday but regardless of that ETH should still go.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Weird. How long should we wait before it's ok in your eyes? A week? A month?
I'm sure all the available managers and the other clubs in the market for a new manager will happily sit around and wait for us in the meantime. They don't want to be classless either.

NK86

Why is it classless? It’s the end of a season. If anything, the club did let him stay on to coach the team in the final as he helped get the team to the final.

NK86

If we are going to sack him then do it a few days after the final, we have a chance of winning it, if we win it, he should be allowed to enjoy it with the team.
Will the team take an open bus ride if we win the FA cup? What exactly will they do apart from going away to their national squads or going on their vacations after the final?

Teja

We somehow went from thin pickings for managers a couple of months ago to a full on manegerial merry-go-round with Poch, Ten Hag, McKenna, De Zerbi, Tuchel and atleast a few more that I'm forgetting.

Teja

Maybe that's actually the current situation
That would be pretty concerning actually. I hope they made their mind up one way or the other already and it doesn't all come down to one game.

sparx99

Why is it classless? It’s the end of a season. If anything, the club did let him stay on to coach the team in the final as he helped get the team to the final.
The classless part came because the story broke the day of the cup final and LVG didn't know. He should have been told before the media found out.

SuperiorXI

Will the team take an open bus ride if we win the FA cup? What exactly will they do apart from going away to their national squads or going on their vacations after the final?
They will enjoy it and they should be allowed to. It is not the behaviour of a top club to dismiss a manager on the eve or on the day of a cup final.

stevoc

Yes, I suspect that is true. I must say I was a bit sceptical when Sir Jim was jostling with the Arab Prince for a place at the top table; however, the head-hunting he started on right away took away some of that scepticism.
Of course, many fans don't care who is in control they think it's all like the FIFA video game, just keep swapping players (and managers) until you get it right, I desperately hope we are over that phase now.
I hope we'll be much better ran than the shitshow that was the Glazers, Woodward era. But I expect even with a well run ship. There will still be a manager and player turnover. Some people just don't work out and you have to move them on.

Yes, I suppose he is serving his 'PL apprenticeship' at OT :lol:

What do you think about Pochettino being in the frame.... suppose the rumours on him will be heavily laden now he's left Chelsea? Overall, probably a better fit for United, but he's becoming the 'nearly man' as far as winning the top titles are concerned.
2 years ago when he was in the frame I didn't want him. He's a good manager but I just don't hink he has it in him to win a title. I'd prefer we go for a younger manager this time. Ten Hag in hindsight was pretty old to have never managed in a top league before.

DSG

Uh huh :lol:

Why do I waste my time arguing with posters like you? Just totally delusional and anyone who isn't blaming ETH for absolutely everything that's gone wrong in the last 2 years is "making excuses" for him in your eyes. I'm not even ETH in and neither am I really ETH out. However, I'm not the only poster that gets ganged up on for not blaming the manager for absolutely everything.

To call Hojlund an ETH signing like Malacia, Eriksen, Antony or Martínez, just because SEG signed him after it was clear that he will be United's main target, and that we are player's dream club as well, is an insane take.
There is a quote at the end of the article where Ten Hag says he trusts Vos to the extent that Vos is helping him build a squad.

Vos works for the player (and the manager) just to be clear. He has no allegiance to the club. His priority is to get the best transfer fees and contracts for his players. If you don’t see that having a manager with veto power on transfers utilizing his agent to “build” a squad is a problem,then I don’t know what to tell you.

If there hadn’t been so many poor transfers that had connections to Ten Hag, it wouldn’t matter, probably wouldn’t even be news. Furthermore, if we were sitting in 4th and playing attractive football, or at least football that delivers results, we’d probably be happy with Ten Hag.

But, sadly, that hasn’t been the case. Ten Hag deserves partial blame for the poor transfer decisions. If you believe the reports, he may deserve a bit of blame for the huge number of injuries, but I’m willing to absolve him of that. He deserves 100% of the blame for the tactics and team setup, the in game subs and the starting 11. Look, we’ve finished 8th with 60 pts. We’re 400m in to this “rebuild”. He isn’t good enough.

Another thing, and this is a phenomenon that has happened as we have sunk further and further down the table. There are several posters on this thread with hundreds of posts defending Ten Hag. Over the past couple of weeks, they’ve started to say “I’m not Ten Hag in or Ten Hag out”, I guess as some sort of clever way to obfuscate their original position. Guess what? We ALL were Ten Hag in at the beginning of the season! But some of us realized earlier that he wasn’t going to cut it here. Just take the L and move on. Nobody cares if you were wrong, we all were!

hobbers

Almost Portuguese Chelsea manager leaves club
Rumours he'll be next United manager
Under-fire Dutch United manager goes into FA cup final with strong rumours he's getting sacked

Where have we seen this before

Last edited: