Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

crossy1686

career ending
I think Tuchel is the one that I am fairly confident can actually improve the squad in short time. But wasn't mentioned in the last "leak" - well perhaps it's a load of shite anyway.
The leaks aren’t coming from our side, they’re probably coming from Ten Hag’s agent or other managers trying to make their client look more attractive

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I wonder what ETH would say to address his impending departure (if reports are to be believed) during the FA Cup final presser. That would give us an indication if he has been told - he seemed pretty confident of his future with us next season not long ago.

NK86

Go back and read my original post, I clearly stated "if it's true".
Did the report say when they are firing him? As far I remember, it only says after the FA cup final.

Anyway, I think the club has done really well for once in managing the leaks. There’s nothing from the hierarchy with respect to their plans for Eth. Most likely he is a goner and perhaps he too knows that. The club at least has not undermined him by constantly feeding scraps to the media, who as usual are stirring shite because they have nothing concrete to report on.

Whether he is sacked the next day or a week later, it makes very little difference. It’s not like the club should decide when to fire him based on a single result. If we lose to City, which is more likely, would it be ok to sack him the next day as there will be no celebrations to worry about?

Woziak

Where did I say that?
I didn’t say you did but those are the facts 19 soon to be 20 is a mistake on the owners of the club, they should have sacked him in February after a review based on CL failure and poor league performance. No man United manager should ever lose more than 10 matches in a season, I don’t care if you draw 15 and win 25 but you don’t lose 20 matches ever?

Maticmaker

There will still be a manager and player turnover. Some people just don't work out and you have to move them on.
Lets hope there is a minimum in such matters with players arriving with the right profile and leaving only when their ambition /legs goes. With managers I recall a management consultant's quote that " when a manager (any set up) has done five years, if he won't leave then chuck him out, because after five years he has already made any difference he is likely to have done... and has nothing more to offer".

Bit harsh perhaps, but wonder if Sir Jim has read the same book? :lol:

2 years ago when he was in the frame I didn't want him. He's a good manager but I just don't think he has it in him to win a title. I'd prefer we go for a younger manager this time. Ten Hag in hindsight was pretty old to have never managed in a top league before.
Yes, tend to agree with you on Poch, he's had some good opportunities, perhaps he is waiting for his 'Dream Theatre' to show what he can do!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I wonder what ETH would say to address his impending departure (if reports are to be believed) during the FA Cup final presser. That would give us an indication if he has been told - he seemed pretty confident of his future with us next season not long ago.
"Erik, could you tell us if you're going to be here next season? Also; why are you wearing a Pochettino mask, talking like Pochettino and wearing a nametag that says Pochettino?"

"I'd like to thank Amadeus for his continued support and the fancy breakfasts he keeps leaving on my doorstep..."

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
"Erik, could you tell us if you're going to be here next season? Also; why are you wearing a Pochettino mask, talking like Pochettino and wearing a nametag that says Pochettino?"

"I'd like to thank Amadeus for his continued support and the fancy breakfasts he keeps leaving on my doorstep..."
I read Pochettino as Pinocchio

Artimities

I am for keeping ETH
Why I would keep him:
* He is there now, so our actual transfer period and continued rebuild can start right after the cup final. We dont need to interview or appoint or go thru the bullshite that would be required if we hire a new manager.. and that is saying that this group actually even have an idea of who they want.
* You can say injuries don't play a part... but give me a break. Our defense was playing Johnny evans and a holding midfielder as our back line. No disrespect to either, but come on. Our different combinations not only speak to the lack of players available but also to the lack of cohesiveness and chemistry that you see from better teams with more consistent lineups.
* The clown show in charge last summer and the lack of movement this past winter have not really supported ETH. I love Rasmus and actually dont want to evan talk down on Antony... but it should have been more and it should have been better planned. We dicked around and the players we got in missed several early games. Those are points we could have used in the end.
* He is a work in progress but I do believe we are close to what we need for a nucleus and we can build around that. I think giving him a bit more time will produce goals and results and that breeds confidence and mentality. These are all things we need and lack currently. ETH should be given a chance to get us over that hump.
* Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho are 3 terrible things for any manager to have to deal with and he took all 3 on head to head.... like the ending or not. Greenwood was not his fault and was really deadwood for the club as he did nothing. Ronaldo acted childish and disrespectful for his standards and that is/ was not a good look and made a lasting impression with me even though I love him for the legend he is, and Sancho is a pratt that put his ego above the team and was a ghost over the last 2 campaigns for large chunks. Most managers would have trouble navigating one of those issues and ETH has had 3.

Give him time.. If this season we dont get back into CL then we move on.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I cant believe anyone is Ten Haag in. LVG had to deal with horrific injuries as well and still got fired despite winning a FA cup and coming 5th. Ending in 8th place at Man Utd after spending 400 mil can't be defended. Fa cup win or not, i highly doubt we'll win.

NLunited

I cant believe anyone is Ten Haag in. LVG had to deal with horrific injuries as well and still got fired despite winning a FA cup and coming 5th. Ending in 8th place at Man Utd after spending 400 mil can't be defended. Fa cup win or not, i highly doubt we'll win.
How did firing LvG work out? We need a long term strategy, not short term decisions. Mourinho was a terrible appointment.

If Ten Hag doesn’t fit the strategy anymore, then he should go. But’ donwe have a long term plan yet or is it in the works?

mythz

I am for keeping ETH
Why I would keep him:
* He is there now, so our actual transfer period and continued rebuild can start right after the cup final. We dont need to interview or appoint or go thru the bullshite that would be required if we hire a new manager.. and that is saying that this group actually even have an idea of who they want.
* You can say injuries don't play a part... but give me a break. Our defense was playing Johnny evans and a holding midfielder as our back line. No disrespect to either, but come on. Our different combinations not only speak to the lack of players available but also to the lack of cohesiveness and chemistry that you see from better teams with more consistent lineups.
* The clown show in charge last summer and the lack of movement this past winter have not really supported ETH. I love Rasmus and actually dont want to evan talk down on Antony... but it should have been more and it should have been better planned. We dicked around and the players we got in missed several early games. Those are points we could have used in the end.
* He is a work in progress but I do believe we are close to what we need for a nucleus and we can build around that. I think giving him a bit more time will produce goals and results and that breeds confidence and mentality. These are all things we need and lack currently. ETH should be given a chance to get us over that hump.
* Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho are 3 terrible things for any manager to have to deal with and he took all 3 on head to head.... like the ending or not. Greenwood was not his fault and was really deadwood for the club as he did nothing. Ronaldo acted childish and disrespectful for his standards and that is/ was not a good look and made a lasting impression with me even though I love him for the legend he is, and Sancho is a pratt that put his ego above the team and was a ghost over the last 2 campaigns for large chunks. Most managers would have trouble navigating one of those issues and ETH has had 3.

Two years 8 place , horrible football with no identity. £400 m spend.

By far the worst manager past Sir Alex. And what progress?

If we stay with him next season is over before it starts. Hopefully they sack him asap.

RedRover

Yes, but I have a question for you. Do you think we would be doing better this season minus the injuries? Even Klopp's Liverpool has had two really poor seasons in his tenure because of injuries, so it's not just an excuse. It's especially prevalent when the wider squad is as poor as ours. As I've explained in other posts, that hasn't been the only issue, but the injuries this year would be enough to derail any team for a one-off season.
Honestly - yes, I do. He's had enough of his own players available at times to show more, in my opinion. And no manager ever gets his starting 11 fit every week, nor do they to come in and completely recycle a squad over two seasons, so to some degree, you have to work with the players you have inherited. Good managers develop a system initially that even if it's not their ideal, accounts for the players they have, even if in the longer term they might want to move those players on. Other, supposedly less capable managers seem to be able to grasp this and get more from what they have.

He also, especially later in the season, sets us up in a way that compounds the problem by exposing (for example) a makeshift back four.

Regardless, the completely chaotic way he seems to want to play, alongside his poor in game management, stubbornness and poor eye for a player is what undoes him for me. Injuries aren't relevant to that.

I've said it before loads on here - what is he doing that indicates he's good enough? Sticking with him is blind faith and nothing more.

Alpha 1

So your solution would have been to botch this season’s progress too. We would never get anywhere.

The comparison with Arteta is absolutely valid, except he didn’t have to deal with an insane amount of injuries. Arsenal fans were ready to bin him off.
What progress are you referring to? Are you confused? Surely you mean the opposite because that is exactly what has happened.

The major difference between Arteta and ETH is that the former is managing for the first time and was learning on the jon. ETH has been a manager for atleast a decade. Arteta also has a clear style he wants his team to play. Under ETH, we are chaotic with no discernible style. The injuries are an excuse to hide his failings.
Thats not really a proper rebuttal to his bolded statement is it?
Good. Here comes the Pep Guardiola is my idol's lawyer.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How did firing LvG work out? We need a long term strategy, not short term decisions. Mourinho was a terrible appointment.

If Ten Hag doesn’t fit the strategy anymore, then he should go. But’ donwe have a long term plan yet or is it in the works?
We've had this discussion on repeat since Moyes(even had Neville saying he needed more time). How long term are the plans of most clubs who regularly sack their managers? When you've plummeted to 8th in your 2nd full season. The confidence is shot. He has to go. Man utd is not like when Fergie took over. Its still rich and attractive we just can't make things tick. Nobody was really in doubt Klopp would elevate Liverpool. Ten Haag has lost his goodwill and merit.

croadyman

I am warming to De Zerbi as he does have a defined style of play and also man management too. Hard to beat him with the not won anything stick when he's not managed a top level club yet. My biggest concern with him is those two beatings that Brighton suffered at Villa and Luton.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

I don't think we did too bad. We won two trophies the following season then finished 2nd the season after but even if we did complete shit after LvG it doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to sack him. We were going nowhere under him in fact we were going backwards.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I am warming to De Zerbi as he does have a defined style of play and also man management too. Hard to beat him with the not won anything stick when he's not managed a top level club yet. My biggest concern with him is those two beatings that Brighton suffered at Villa and Luton.
I'm at the point where I'm open minded to just about any appointment besides Southgate.

crossy1686

career ending
I am for keeping ETH
Why I would keep him:

Yeah let’s waste another season while all our rivals put further distance between us and them and we have to hire Dyche to save us at some point.

mu4c_20le

If?

He never fit the strategy from day one. If you couldn't see that, you probably never will.

And we shouldn't be so afraid of changing managers. Some are starting to sound like abused partners.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s won the league a few times in Romania and a cup in Ukraine, so technically he’s been successful everywhere he’s been.

sparx99

I am not talking about LVG here. It is about Eth and his potential sacking after the FA cup final. What is wrong with that?
Nothing but if it leaks again before the cup final it will be classless. At the very least they should inform him before the media find out even if that means he leads the team out knowing it’s his final game.

NLunited

I don't think we did too bad. We won two trophies the following season then finished 2nd the season after but even if we did complete shit after LvG it doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to sack him. We were going nowhere under him in fact we were going backwards.
LvG reportedly lost the players, but did manage to get them playing possession style football. Appointing Mourinho was a terrible mistake.

We should have appointed someone who could continue working on the playing style and make it work rather than start over with a completely different style for short term gain.

If we don’t change our ways, it will be another ten years in the desert. We need a long term plan with clearly defined goals and make decisions to achieve that.

hobbers

Firing LVG worked out great. Football improved instantly with Mourinho. Better football, scored a lot more goals, some dominant results, won 2 cups. Results improved in his second season and we broke the 80 point barrier.

In hindsight it was a mistake to go with him over a different manager but the bigger mistake was then not backing him at the crucial time and choosing Martial and Pogba over him.

pseudo_canadian

I really hope INEOS isn’t weighing their decision to keep him or not purely on the FA Cup final result. If United wins, that should not absolve ETH of how poor the team has been dating back to February 2023.

The injuries alone are not a sufficient excuse for bad coaching and arrogant tactics.

So, assuming INEOS and co. are serious people, they will take everything into account rather than a single cup final.

pseudo_canadian

Firing LVG worked out great. Football improved instantly with Mourinho. Better football, scored a lot more goals, some dominant results, won 2 cups. Results improved in his second season and we broke the 80 point barrier.

In hindsight it was a mistake to go with him over a different manager but the bigger mistake was then not backing him at the crucial time and choosing Martial and Pogba over him.
Completely agree.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
I really hope INEOS isn’t weighing their decision to keep him or not purely on the FA Cup final result. If United wins, that should not absolve ETH of how poor the team has been dating back to February 2023.

The injuries alone are not a sufficient excuse for bad coaching and arrogant tactics.

So, assuming INEOS and co. are serious people, they will take everything into account rather than a single cup final.
They won't, the decision is made him taking the final is courtesy not a barometer.

NLunited

What progress are you referring to? Are you confused? Surely you mean the opposite because that is exactly what has happened.

The major difference between Arteta and ETH is that the former is managing for the first time and was learning on the jon. ETH has been a manager for atleast a decade. Arteta also has a clear style he wants his team to play. Under ETH, we are chaotic with no discernible style. The injuries are an excuse to hide his failings.
Good. Here comes the Pep Guardiola is my idol's lawyer.
The progress this season vs last season: playing out the back, high pressing and quick attacking play. The style that we are trying to play is clear to see.

I don’t see us going backward, what I’m seeing is the same failings and problems of last season persisting and exacerbated by injuries and lack of astute transfer business.

The difference between Arteta and Ten Hag so far: on balance I think Ten Hag is ahead - a 3rd place finish in the league and a cup in his first year with a squad that was predicted to scrape 6th. And he is in his 2nd FA cup final, despite the insane injury crisis of this season.

You can’t really argue Arteta did better in his first two years; that is just revisionism. Arsenal fans were ready to cart him off themselves. Maybe his FA cup win saved him or they had long term vision.

Whereas we seem to be ready to appoint Southgate. God have mercy.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Does he? He seems like a lunatic on the side of the pitch, which I personally hate in a manager.

stevoc

I am for keeping ETH
Why I would keep him:

We played Casemiro and Evans for 3 games.

Ten Hag was an integral part of the transfer strategy the club pursued.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I agree with some of this -- for all his flaws, you can see that De Zerbi is married to controlling possession and circulating the ball about the middle of the pitch. That alone is a promising sign for a manager at a big club.

I equally agree the concern is how naive they look defensively. The amount of big defensive pumpings he took this season hardly fill me with assurance.