Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I love his press conferences in no small part because it winds up a subset of the fanbase that hate him.

Juicy Juiced

I love his press conferences in no small part because it winds up a subset of the fanbase that hate him.
I love his conferences because he show how much is deluded and bad manager.

I remember reading tjat Barca and Bayern would be all over him after he left UTD. Nobody want to touch him, Bayern went with Kompany ffs

NLunited

There were hardly any long term injuries in the midfield and the attack. Whatever they were, they were manageable. Mount was a surplus, anyway.

It was the defense where we struggled the most. But there too we had Onana & Dalot who were available for the most part. The central defense & LB was a bit of a mess. Though that is why we have a big squad with 5 central defenders & Dalot who is totally capable of playing on the left. (Played most the season at Milan as a LB). Good managers overcome those situations and come out on top. That's why they get paid the big bucks. Also, our expectations weren't to win the title or leave a mark in the CL. What we didn't want was to get humiliated in a CL group with Gala and Copenhagen and to finish 8th in the league.
Individual mistakes (and freak luck) cost us against Sevilla last season and Onana is mostly at fault for the CL failure.

Who would have thought that would happen, after Onana looked so good with Inter in CL?

The injuries up front were manageable, but not to the extend that we should have been competing for the title or such nonsense. At best our squad was going to get us 4th this season.

NLunited

He's leaned fully into the injuries excuse to absolve himself of any accountability. His tactic is transparent and makes him look like he cares more for his pride and ego than about the club.

It would've been reasonable to mention them as a mitigating factor if we at least consistently played well but results here and there didn't go in our favour. But they don't come close to excusing the utter shit show of this season, both in performances and results. He should learn the meaning of humility and exercise it.
Every top manager has a big ego.

At least he hasn’t thrown players under the bus (Ange) and didn’t use the injury excuse until it was undeniable.

mu4c_20le

Sounds like a sacked manager setting his stall out like a Michael Owen advert brochure. Hopefully.
He's been sounding defiant and blaming everything but himself for a few weeks now, probably because he's been denied a new contract. He's held talks with Ineos but there's been no indication he's part of the future.

The Hilton

I am warming to De Zerbi as he does have a defined style of play and also man management too. Hard to beat him with the not won anything stick when he's not managed a top level club yet. My biggest concern with him is those two beatings that Brighton suffered at Villa and Luton.
Why would you be warming to him now? His high point at Brighton has been and gone, they've been poor for ages now.

DSG

He really is a shit manager.

All the budget in the world and he chooses players that doesnt fit his style, players that he coached before and failed to see the biggest glaring weakness of not being good at the basic and sanctioned 80M for it

And I don't buy manager has no input on the price. They would be notified, to the very least the budget available, which players they want as priority, how to spent the budget and what sort of alternative should the main target is too expensive. As the head coach that's what they're paid for.

Do you honestly believe ETH simply list 7 players he wanted without doing priority, backup plan, and valuation of such players according to his expertise (football manager)? If you can't get 7 at least you priorities on the most crucial players that can benefit the team and make your system works, finding compromise with loans, academies, or makeshift player. The idea that it's not his fault because he doesnt get all 7 so his system can't work is stupid.

Maybe ETH dont and wont need to dwell with how many percentages of the payment upfront, or the financial installment and the details but simply 80M for Antony would uses 50% of this year budget. Is it ok or would you like someone else and spread the budget accordingly? Manager seen hundrers of matches around the world and by right he should have a good list of players that fit his system, how much roughly is their fair market price, how much budget is available. We're not talking about finding the next Messi. Even armchair managers have a decent list of good players let alone a manager of Manchester United which should have agents phoning him right left center

Not saying anything is simply neglecting the very main job of a manager.

Even if it's a scout and board recommendations it's his duty to consult and veto players that wont suit his system
Simpletons think that both the club and Ten Hag operate in silos, insulated from key information like the cost of a transfer. It’s utter bullshit. No organization works that way. Hiring managers always know the cost of an employee and they always make the final decision on a hire or at least have input.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope we actually are in for McKenna and those reports are true, but it's pretty horrible for this to come out two days prior to our biggest game of the season.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I hope we actually are in for McKenna and those reports are true, but it's pretty horrible for this to come out two days prior to our biggest game of the season.
Yes. Poorly handled by the club. Should have announce he was going after the final.

Get In Scholesy

I agree with you on the sentiment, but I would forgive anyone who feels like the season ended 3 months ago. There is definitely an argument to be made to get the ball rolling on any changes as soon as possible.

It’s still shitty regardless.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
What happens after is up for discussion but he deserves our unwavering support on Saturday.

Announcing this two days before a cup final against city is disgusting.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Disagree. The club cant afford to sit on their hands while other clubs are looking for new managers as well.
I'm saying the opposite :confused:

I said that seemingly the decision has been made so announce it. Don't see what difference it makes now, everyone thinks ETH is going so they should have handled it better.

tomaldinho1

I’m worried it seems a bit like we’ve panicked and been a bit reactive here. No way this should be leaking right before the final, very Woodward/LVG esque which was a real low point for us.

Redstain

Writing has been on the wall for months, said back when INEOS arrived that the movement over Erik's contractual situation would be a telling indicator of his future.

If he was staying the club would have made the decision a while ago. The acquisitions of Berrada, Wilcox and Ashworth is evidence that the hierarchy will move things ahead of the curve.

Such a bad season with no prospect of anything remotely positive about the performances, that the hope of an incoming manager who has just promoted a team from a lower league provides more optimism than keeping the present coach. It speaks volumes about where this team is under Eth tenure.

AndySmith1990

He's lucky to still be in a job. Any other club would've slung him out on his arse months ago. It's a bit rich to suddenly have a go at Ineos for lacking class when they're allowing the fecker to see out the season

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Writing has been on the wall for months, said back when INEOS arrived that the movement over Erik's contractual situation would be a telling indicator of his future.

If he was staying the club would have made the decision a while ago. The acquisitions of Berrada, Wilcox and Ashworth is evidence that the hierarchy will move things ahead of the curve.

Such a bad season with no prospect of anything remotely positive about the performances, that the hope of an incoming manager who has just promoted a team from a lower league provides more optimism than keeping the present coach. It speaks volumes about where this team is under Eth tenure.
Exactly how I see it. They would've publicly backed him already. It was clear to me that they were giving him a bit of time to prove himself and were focussing on making the changes upstairs but he's failed to prove he's the right man and INEOS have basically been waiting for the end of the season to make their move. I think if we would've lost to Coventry they would've ended up pulling the trigger early, the FA Cup final has kept him in the job.

GreatDane

I'm saying the opposite :confused:

I said that seemingly the decision has been made so announce it. Don't see what difference it makes now, everyone thinks ETH is going so they should have handled it better.
Guessing they dont want to rock the boat before the final and were hoping they could plan in quiet.

El Zoido

He's lucky to still be in a job. Any other club would've slung him out on his arse months ago. It's a bit rich to suddenly have a go at Ineos for lacking class when they're allowing the fecker to see out the season
He would’ve gone by now but Ineos haven’t even been in place for 6 months yet. There’s actually no urgency to sack him just because things were bad, this stuff really does take a lot of time and planning. But I get that fans are emotional and demand immediate action. Long term I feel we will not regret letting him see out the season. It will work out.