Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

C'est Moi Cantona

Nothing that's the issue.
It's just rumours then, as was reported with Poch it was up in the air with what was happening to him right up until the day before he went, and this could still be the case with Ten Hag, the FA Cup game and the meetings that will probably happen afterwards might genuinely still mean things aren't decided yet.

It'd be stupid of us to not have options lined if he does go, and I'd also think it's quite hard to stop people from talking to the media as well.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's just rumours then, as was reported with Poch it was up in the air with what was happening to him right up until the day before he went, and this could still be the case with Ten Hag, the FA Cup game and the meetings that will probably happen afterwards might still mean things aren't decided yet.

It'd be stupid of us to not have options lined if he does go, and I'd also think it's quite hard to stop people from talking to the media as well.
I think that's incredibly naive.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
United literally cannot keep anything under wraps.
The moment you contact the representatives of managers, you lose control of the information. There is too many outsiders involved.

spwd

How did firing LvG work out? We need a long term strategy, not short term decisions. Mourinho was a terrible appointment.

If Ten Hag doesn’t fit the strategy anymore, then he should go. But’ donwe have a long term plan yet or is it in the works?
And Erik has been a lot worse yet we should give him more time and more money than any manager ever.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How did firing LvG work out? We need a long term strategy, not short term decisions. Mourinho was a terrible appointment.

If Ten Hag doesn’t fit the strategy anymore, then he should go. But’ donwe have a long term plan yet or is it in the works?
Firing LVG was a mistake? Not for my sleep patterns it wasn’t!

Laurencio

The moment you contact the representatives of managers, you lose control of the information. There is too many outsiders involved.
Too much potential to increase the profile of their client too. "Look guys, this man is wanted by both Chelsea and Man Utd" is a bit of PR too good to pass up.

Gator Nate

Whacked out interpretation of the current situation:

Ten Hag is staying. He and INEOS are on the same page. The rumors swirling round give hope to those players downing tools but want to show any incoming manager that they can still do a job. Reality is that they are in the shop window during the FA Cup final and their false hopes drive up their values on the market.

4D chess for the win.

mu4c_20le

Bayern did it mid-season. Different scenario.
As much as I'd like to satisfy curiosity, I don't see any benefit to announcing his sacking just before the cup final. By not saying anything at least it gives him the chance to focus on the game, rather than answer questions about the dismal season and how much he's responsible for.

RORY65

Yep. This clear leaking of stuff to the press stinks.

It's a massive negative already against INEOS.
It's one report on Sky and then a load of gossip of different names that would always happen when the biggest club in the country comes 8th. Even if any of it is true it would be impossible to stop some gossip coming out once there are multiple parties involved, this doesn't seem like the type of thing we had under Woodward where every journalist would have the same story simultaneously and it was clear they'd all been tipped off.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think that's incredibly naive.
Maybe, but it seems a bit daft to say we have handled things badly on the back of a few new manager stories, it's clear we're going to be linked to everyone at the moment.

it was Potter for a while, then Southgate, Tuchel a couple of weeks ago, Poch for 48 hours, and now Mckenna.

The only thing Ineos have done is say nothing about Ten Hag, which they've done all the way through.

Alpha 1

I agree with the bolded part. The progress is the following:

-replacing DeGea with a gk comfortable playing out the back
-a high pressing approach as a baseline
-more chance creation

We haven’t seen the results overall, for which there are mitigating circumstances.
There have been ups and downs with each point.

Playing another pragmatic season would not have been progress, although it might have gotten us top four.

We need to keep building, not start over again.
We are pressing high but it is shambolic and lacking coordination. Plus combining a high press with a low block means a huge vacuum in the middle that teams have been using to hurt us.

More chance creation? Do you have stats to back up this claim? We must be really poor finishers given how low scoring we have been this season.

According to premierleague.com, we created 84 big chances last season vs 60 this season.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_created?se=489

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_created?se=578

Early in the season, I was backing Ten Hag to turn it around (we were abysmal from the go) but over time I've totally turned against him. It's been unwatchable. Even with injuries, we should be putting away teams like Burnley with ease, instead we looked their equals.

AndySmith1990

I find it amusing that the wording in all the reports is along the lines of "if United sack Ten Hag", as if the decision hasn't already been made

crossy1686

career ending
If you look at our squad compared to that of a City or a Liverpool you can easily see that we have a mix of 3-5 manager's players. Its like being asked to put together a Lego set of the Titanic, but you have pieces for like 4 other sets included. ETH in my opinion needs time to implement his squad without dealing with leftover pieces that dont fit his puzzle. I thought he worked miracles with last years team to be honest and this year... its been overall a more competitive year in the premier league and we didnt hit the targets we shot for, but to just throw it out is a bit quick to shoot and slow to ask questions.
We will have a fantastic idea of what we are by next Winter transfer period, and if its not what the board think is acceptable then I am behind them, but he has not been given enough time.
Ah this argument never gets old. You're right, how can we possibly expect a professional manager to do anything with players another manager before him signed? I mean it's not like Emery was able to get Gerrards relegation fodder into the top 4, Villa had to sell absolutely everyone and buy new players before he was able to do that.

As per, it's absolute bollocks and wild that people are still using this excuse to absolve Ten Hag for his many shortcomings.

If your puzzle can't be completed without signing De Jong or having a fit left footed CB then your puzzle is fecking dogshit and belongs in the bin.

crossy1686

career ending
I find it amusing that the wording in all the reports is along the lines of "if United sack Ten Hag", as if the decision hasn't already been made
Was gonna comment on this also. Every single story in the last 24 hours is "<insert name> is in the lead for the United job, (should Ten Hag leave)". It's clear they know already.

sepulturite

I think it's more the media hedging their bets as usual. If ETH stays then they can say "well we did say IF"

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Yeah it's pretty obvious the decision to sack Ten Hag has already been made and they're just not announcing it yet for obvious reasons.

It's absolutely the correct decision as well, as it should not be made based on a one-off game where everything can happen. Win or not, Hag isn't good enough to take us forward.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think this is a good and realistic shortlist. My preference would probably be 1. Tuchel, 2. Poch, 3. McKenna, 4. Frank, but I see upside for all of them. The latter 2 carry a lot more risk imo.
In the scenario that Mckenna goes to Chelsea if we don't get him, then McKenna goes top of the list IMO.

If McKenna goes to Brighton ahead of Chelsea, then Tuchel is top for me. No interest in Frank or Pochettino. It is Tuchel or McKenna, but only Tuchel if McKenna takes the development route.

hobbers

Also no coincidence of those 4 names 2 are out of contract and 2 are cheap buyouts.

Shark

@NotShark
He's 100% gone. Too many reputable reports now, and the shortlist is actually realistic as opposed to a few months back. Potter and Southgate ffs.

hobbers

Can you imagine not extending the current managers contract, saying for months you'll assess him at the end of the season, then 3 days before a cup final it's revealed you've spoken to at least 5 different managers as "contingencies".

And then you end up keeping the current guy? He'd be the most undermined guy on the planet.